Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:07 am
All times are UTC + 0
Siege at Midgard [YR]
Moderators: Global Moderators, Red Alert 2 Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [17 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
EVA-251
General

Also Known As: evanb90

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:41 pm    Post subject:  Siege at Midgard [YR] Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, this is the proper place to post this- as it is an incomplete map.

It is a 2 on 1 map where I have implemented some special coding to allow for a unique build set for each player, depending on where you start out.

Now that I done with the boring stuff, now for the info on the map.

Basic Info:
Name: Siege at Midgard (3)
Minimum Players(I recommend this for fairness): 3

Design Info:
Theater: Snow
General Geography: Relatively flat, some hills.
Primary Geographical Features: Two bridges that connect to the other player, a river that divides the city
Other- Forest to the north
Urban: Yes, Midgard only
Resources: Medium
Time of Day: Night
Lighting: VERY Dark

Gameplay Info:
This area is quite important. Due to the fact this is a Siege map, countless changes have been made to the gameplay to make it so. The defender and besieger can both build only certain units of their faction

Midgard Defenders are forbidden from building the following:
Prism Tanks, Magnetrons, Master Minds, Chrono Legionnaires, Floating Disks, Night Hawk Transports, Kirov Airships, and Siege Choppers

Besiegers are forbidden from building the following:
Grand Cannons, Psychic Towers, and Mirage Tanks

Both sides are forbidden from building the following:
Ore Refinerys, Ore Miners, Power Plants, Nuclear Reactors, Naval Yards, Ore Purifiers, Cloning Vats, Industrial Plants, MCVs, Battle Fortresses, Tank Bunkers, and Battle Bunkers

However, the Midgard Defender gets a set of buildings and units to start the map with, including:
1 Allied Naval Yard(any side can build their own respective units from it, with the exception of non-ground attack units, aerial defense units allowed)
4 Tech Powerplants providing a total of 1000 power. This is all you get for your entire base, so don't be so quick on calling France or Yuri.
4 Oil Derricks, which constitute your funds.
20 GIs that start outside barricaded areas and garrisonable towers.

The Besiegers get a set of buildings and units to claim as their own:
1 offmap Nuclear Reactor
1 Allied Ore Refinery and Chrono Miner.(this is ALL you get in terms of funding)

Unit/Building Changes:
Kirov Airship strength decreased from 2000 to 1750.
Oil Derrick
-Uncapturable
-Also more durable
-Death Weapon 50% weaker.

Tech Power Plant provides 300 power.
-Also uncapturable
-Also more durable
Bridges are indestructable.
Boomer Subs are always emerged(to stop hide and seek victories)
Hedgehogs have 1/3 strength.
Urban Combat weapons have boosted range. (+1)

Things left to do
Add ambience

Notes:
THIS MAP IS INCOMPATIBLE WITH ANY MOD THAT ADDS UNITS.
The battle will end in 45 minutes- this is all the time you get to break open the defender- so dont turtle.

I may have moar to add, so be very afraid(to this post, I will add,#Tongue)

SiegeAtMidgard.PNG
 Description:
 Filesize:  6.64 KB
 Viewed:  8260 Time(s)

SiegeAtMidgard.PNG

Last edited by EVA-251 on Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:01 am; edited 1 time in total

Raptor8
Grenadier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

~this thread is usless without pics~

-Wraith88 on EA forums

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Allied General
General

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

uh map preview ...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
EVA-251
General

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh lawdy lawd, my topic gets sum posts? Excuse me while my head explodes.
*mops up mess*
Ok, back.

Err yeah...This map is near finished, I just gotta brighten it up. It is quite the dark map, trust me

-tr8er8-
Rocket Cyborg

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't know if it's just me (this is just a totally random guess...), but I think people want an In-Game-Pic before they judge the map, because some people don't like downloading things without pics. Wink

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Skype Account
ORCACommander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

When are there going to be ingames?

EVA-251
General

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Seeing that I did not stir any curiosity with the concept of a map like this, I did not bother to post in-games. Should I get around to uninstalling SS 0.57 from my YR, I might just get some screenshots

Blade
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think its a pretty good concept for a map, along the lines of what the siege game mode was supposed to be. Its a shame the game doesn't support enforced alliances (in theory it could be done with triggers, but Player@X limitations prevent it). How does the game end after the time limit BTW? You should make it that the attackers are destroyed and thus the defender wins using something similar to the assault maps destroy side trigger for when the flag is gone. Can you not set the minimum and maximum players for maps in YR? If so, set min and max both to 3 to force correct number before playing.

Aro
Alcohol Fueled

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Bad map, good concept.

In my opinion, there could be, ALOT more deail.. Even though i know its a work in progress...

I'm going to take a wild guess and say there are lots of trees... Am i right? Confused

I want to see some in-games soon. Very Happy

EVA-251
General

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:

I think its a pretty good concept for a map, along the lines of what the siege game mode was supposed to be. Its a shame the game doesn't support enforced alliances (in theory it could be done with triggers, but Player@X limitations prevent it). How does the game end after the time limit BTW? You should make it that the attackers are destroyed and thus the defender wins using something similar to the assault maps destroy side trigger for when the flag is gone. Can you not set the minimum and maximum players for maps in YR? If so, set min and max both to 3 to force correct number before playing.

Well, from what I know, you cannot set minimum players. Isn't there a "Fixed Alliance" tag in YR though, intended for Team Alliance?(needs to check up on that)
I dont see it being very possible to breakthrough without one person. Ore flow is intentionally slow for the attackers, making it harder to amass units.
When 45 minutes expire, the besiegers just go kaboom. Should somehow, the defenders actually counter-attack(thinking of this, I probably will lower output for the Oil Derricks by 5 again), and destroy the enemy, they win.
Quote:

Bad map, good concept.

In my opinion, there could be, ALOT more deail.. Even though i know its a work in progress...

I'm going to take a wild guess and say there are lots of trees... Am i right?

I want to see some in-games soon. Very Happy

Yes, this map is somewhat bland- however, the green areas, which are grassy, are forested- the map, if continued, would go off into a rather large forest. I'll be further detailing the urban areas, and I have already added rocks and some other small touchups.

Also, when I started making this map, I realized midway that tis way too small. In the future, I hope to make a much bigger variant that I will make a version for SS and normal YR. The power supply limit of 1000 makes it sorta too easy to put down powered defenses like the Grand Cannon, which cover too much of the important to defend area.

Also, update to the rules of the map-
Aegis Cruisers are limited to 4(to stop from making a purely invincible air defense curtain)
Destroyers do more damage(this, to be honest, does not make much of an impact considering tanks can get in range of the ships)
Carrier cost increased to 3k.

I am on a skool computer, so I lack the ability to check up on the map at the moment.

I will try to get ingames when I return home

EVA-251
General

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The post date on this is an illusion. I really did post this that afternoon.

And, now, upon further looking at it, I have ascertained it is FAR TOO DARK. I will only be showing a few images from the map, as it is FAR TOO DARK.

Next screenshots, the ore fields will have lighting, and the locations around the attacker's bases will be better lit.

First one to say something about the lighting as it is right now needs to read above and pay attention.

SiegeAtMidgard7.PNG
 Description:
 Filesize:  415.86 KB
 Viewed:  7986 Time(s)

SiegeAtMidgard7.PNG

SiegeAtMidgard6.PNG
 Description:
 Filesize:  303.74 KB

SiegeAtMidgard6.PNG

SiegeAtMidgard3.PNG
 Description:
 Filesize:  501.4 KB

SiegeAtMidgard3.PNG

SiegeAtMidgard5.PNG
 Description:
 Filesize:  290.02 KB

SiegeAtMidgard5.PNG

ORCACommander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

wow you're right that is dark. Are you going to tone down the extraunit/building/aircraft lighting?

Tony
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Too Dark ?..whatever gave you that Idea ?! ROFLMAO!!!

Well I do like the design of it.

use these settings if you like :

Ambient=0.720000 - 0.620000; nothing worse than a pitch black map..unless your doing a day night loop..

Level=0.018000 ;for cliffs and heights lighting I think. the lower you set it the less your cliff pieces will glow at the joints and edges too I noticed.

Red=0.710000

Green=0.810000

Blue=1.210000 ; nice moonlight effect

Good luck.

EVA-251
General

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Light emitted from light posts is now brighter, and I have lit the ore fields and around the towers near each edge of the bridge.
Example is here.

SiegeAtMidgard9.PNG
 Description:
 Filesize:  507.27 KB
 Viewed:  7931 Time(s)

SiegeAtMidgard9.PNG

bonzy_buddy
Shrapnel Sniper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

it's still too dark. That's nice to want to make something original and night fight is cool and fits the concept well but don't forget the gameplay. It is painful for the eyes.

ORCACommander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

it looks better but still somewhat blocky in places.

EVA-251
General

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Update again-

I detailed the areas across the river from the city, and in turn, added lighting. The forests by the 2 other players are somewhat lit, due to the fact these lights are scattered far apart, they may end up looking like people are in the woods, perhaps waiting. Campfire to remedy?
Areas that were very poorly lit in the past(south-east), have received a little more lighting.
A small island has been added around the southern bridge, on it, there is a light and a few extra details.
Additional lights have been added in the areas around the bridge.

However, I reinstalled SS, added the new AI I have been working on, and well, laziness compels to not uninstall it and test this map out again. Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [17 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon