Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:10 pm
All times are UTC + 0
Whats the best way to convert generals models to voxels
Moderators: Generals Moderators, Global Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [40 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Mortecha
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:51 pm    Post subject:  Whats the best way to convert generals models to voxels Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I was wondering what the best way to convert generals models into voxels for RA2?

Daz
Energy Commando

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You need to clean the models up so they have none of the fire FX things, bones, etc that Generals requires by importing it into a 3d program from w3d.
Then you need to get from that 3d program to a .3ds file which can then be loaded into 3ds2vxl.

When I converted all of them ages ago I cleaned them up in gmax, used the Tempest gamepack to export to .md2 (I think, something like that), loaded that file into a program called 3D Explorer and saved them as .3ds using 3D Explorer.

Unfortunately 3D Explorer has since vanished from the internet as far as I can see.

Mortecha
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks, i've been trying fo figure out a method of converting models to voxels with no avail. Also i may have found a link to 3d explorer, though it might not be the same thing you used. It's a plug-in for Truespace and this is the link http://www.3dexplorer.it/ . If this isnt the one, is there any chance of obtaining a copy or something lol.

4StarGeneral
General

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The only thing wrong with that is, you need to buy the full version of TrueSpace to use plugins...
Which, amazingly, I have.
But where are the models located in the .big's?

ORCACommander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What I would like is someone to post renegades models converted to 3ds

Mortecha
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:57 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

4star that's awesome. I'll get back to you on the specific units because im going to have to ask for permission first from their respected developers which shouldn't take to long to do. Laughing

Dupl3xxx
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

EA?m they don't care... For them it's only CnC TW (CnC \0085)
Generals Voxel pack... Yes pleace! #Tongue

Mortecha
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

lol its not EA im worried about. Good job on the voxel packs by the way. I think i have acouple of your ships on the drawing board, not sure ill have to check but there awesome. Also 4star, im looking at around 20 models if all goes well lol. Would you like to be part of the mod? I just had a brain wave regarding the name, though its not as origional whats everyones thoughts on before the dawn.

4StarGeneral
General

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yeah, TrueSpace only cost me $200 bucks!
Anyway, disregard the question in my PM, now I know what you are talking about... Laughing

Still, anyone know where the models are in the .big files? I could make Ren's into 3Ds if it's possible...
Generals Voxel Pack, oh yes that will be great. (considering I needed them for my own mod anyway Laughing )

Mortecha
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What would be the best way to transfer these files to you without posting them? I think the file will be to big for here anyway.

ORCACommander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

you can make rens into 3ds just do it the same as generals after all they are the same format. have you tried w3d.big? Razz

Mortecha
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There all in the w3d format anyway. I hav'nt been able to convert them to 3ds. All the searches ive done in google are the other way around, from 3ds to w3d. Is w3d the general industry moddling standard or something?

ORCACommander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

you have to import them to gmxa first

Mortecha
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Im guessing you mean Gmax, I have Renx setup would that do the same job.

ORCACommander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

renx is a plug in for gmax contact me on MSN and I can send you the correct short cut for it as the ones made by ww don't work

Mortecha
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My renx works i just didn't know about importing the models, which i've just figured out abouy 5 mins ago. I've only been using it for acouple of days now. I've tried to open the files with gmax but it says i dont have the correct import module and its the wrong format. Also did you want to use gmail instead because i can invite?

Last edited by Mortecha on Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:07 am; edited 1 time in total

Mortecha
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok ive found the stuff i need from a BFME forum, im downloading RenegadeToolsInstaller 2 now so i'll see how this goes. And no luck there, i still cant import w3d files into renx.

ORCACommander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'll pm you the import script after school.

Mortecha
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just alittle problem with the scripts you gave me, firstly in the rush i was in to get out the door i didn't take any notice of where it was saved. Secondly i went and got the w3d import script from a couple of forums but because im new to Gmax i have no idea how to load scripts, even when i load the scripts they dont work.

Cyric the Dark
Civilian

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is the same problem i found.

I've asked in the other thread of this forum http://www.ppmsite.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=170836#170836 if the people that made the converter from w3dm to load into 3D Object Converter, can made a plugin to load the w3d.

This way we can have a way to load the w3d in 3D Object Converter and directly save them as w3dm for C&C3

maybe if there are many people asking for it (i need to axtract some model from BFMEII too) they can make it Wink

ORCACommander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sorry kid but its been tried and failed. The way I did was get the model into gmax convert to MD3 via tempest plug in the convert the md3 to obj using a converter program then import the obj into to 3ds max long proces but works except for the turrets and barrels combining and texture map info being lost

4StarGeneral
General

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Texture maps are easy though, they can at least be easily obtained via XCC. If anyone gets me the objects or 3Ds I can work with those. And I can always split the barrels again.

ORCACommander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mortecha
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

@ 4 Star I have acouple that will be needing to be converted. There not your run of the mill gen units though. Add me to your msn and i can send them to you.

m666
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Go to YRARG, look in the big section of fail graphics. There are a few win ones, and there are Generals and Zero Hour packs in there.

View user's profile Send private message Skype Account Yahoo Messenger Account AIM Address
Mortecha
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I am well aware to the YRARG vxl archives. I have all the packs ever released, what i am after is something unique and something thats not public, also something i have permission to use. I spent a long time carefully going through public archives long before i was a member here, at least 2 years i think. these included the likes of savage war, moonmans corner, tib wed, here and the ones made by Mad HQ. There are others but i cant remember them.

I have all the Gen and Ren packs made by Daz, the halo pack and various other packs. Only a select few voxels out of everything i gathered peaked my interest and where found worthy of being edited for BTS

4StarGeneral
General

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

@Dregan - Just email them to me, I don't have an MSN account. Know what's funnier I've collected every voxel, shp, whatever, ever released. Laughing

@ORCACommander - Thanks.

IcySon55
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You guys don't know what you're doing. Here's a Renegade vending machine I imported and converted to voxel to prove it.

ren_vending.png
 Description:
A nice render.
 Filesize:  148.89 KB
 Viewed:  14880 Time(s)

ren_vending.png

ren_vend.rar
 Description:
The voxel vending machine. Appliance Wars mod?

Download
 Filename:  ren_vend.rar
 Filesize:  7.97 KB
 Downloaded:  302 Time(s)

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Skype Account
4StarGeneral
General

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, since you've done it, can you tell how you did it? I just got 3DS MAX finally, seeing as I needed it for college. Anywho, any help would be appreciated Icy.

P.S. Ya, I know, I bumped...

IcySon55
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Finally a reply here. I thought you all ran away from the thread when you had no idea what you were doing. Laughing

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Skype Account
ORCACommander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

first download gmax and install the RenX 2 plug in and the Tempest Plug in. then go to RenHelp.net and download John Will's w3d importer and install it to your renx directory. Import the w3d model you want and save it in .gmax format. next close gmax and start up th he tempest plug in and make sure all the skin paths are correct and go to file->export and choose md3 from the drop down name it what you want and tell it to export only frame 1. now open 3dsmax and import the md3 file. again make sure the skins are correct and the meshes are lined up right now save as 3ds and run it through 3ds 2 voxel. with gmax you need to set the rendering engine to D3D

IcySon55
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow, the most complicated setup ever written out. All you need is 3D Studio Max and the W3D Importer, nothing else.

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

Also Known As: banshee_revora (Steam)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Save it as .3ds and then you need ViPr's 3ds2vxl to export your model to voxel. Really, it's easy.

Mortecha
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Excellent, I too have just aquired 3ds MAX, ill give this a go and see the results. Also BTS has been moved to cnc3, so i will no longer require voxels for it, I am teaching myself how to model in 3d and have come up with some promissing results.

Monitor1.PNG
 Description:
This is an LCD monitor i made with my desktop on it.
 Filesize:  144.62 KB
 Viewed:  13501 Time(s)

Monitor1.PNG

4StarGeneral
General

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice lookin monitor, Dregan.
Well, I'm goin' for my master's in GD, so it'll be easy as pie. At least now I don't have to do this roundabout longest way possible, plan we seemed to come up with.Laughing Thanks, Icy, but you couldn't have cleared that up for us years ago? #Tongue

IcySon55
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The 3dsmax W3D importer didn't exist years ago.

Mortecha
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Do you know where i can get a copy of the importer? Much needed atm Laughing

ORCACommander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

my link up there has ti for download along with the gmax one. I do not know if the 3ds max ones have a GUI or not so I do not know if you can exclude the bones and FX from being imported

4StarGeneral
General

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ah, bones can be removed...Laughing
@IcySon - Well you know it seems to have been around for awhile now, at least before this topic Rolling Eyes

IcySon55
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

4StarGeneral wrote:
Thanks, Icy, but you couldn't have cleared that up for us years ago? #Tongue

You said years, and I replied in years. Nothing wrong with my post. #Tongue

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [40 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon