Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:00 pm
All times are UTC + 0
New terrain work
Moderators: Fallout Wars Moderators, IVI
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 2 [82 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
IVI
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:16 am    Post subject:  New terrain work
Subject description: all about terrain enhancers
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

here's the first set I've done... junk-on-ground. It kinda confuses me sometimes, when resources become scarce some of them look like the junk resource I've done Very Happy .

new terrain work.PNG
 Description:
 Filesize:  36.34 KB
 Viewed:  26799 Time(s)

new terrain work.PNG

ShadowLord
Grenadier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmm, very nice IVI! definetly fit in with Fallout and Tiberian Sun!

IVI
Commander

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 3:22 pm    Post subject: NEW terrain artwork: the Lao Tze dam Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I finally got my pc to stabilize.... but for some reason it doesn't allow 3d modelling programs... something to do with 'refusing to update dx7.dll' or something like that. anyone knows how to fix that? I installed dx 9.0 but same shit happens.

anyhow, I've been working at some projects whenever I get inspired or when I'm not doing anything important; and here's what I've been at since yesterday....

it's made with MS paint and textured in photoshop... behold.. the

dam of "Dam town"

Overview: When the world caught fire, millions and millions of people perished. majority of these people lived in the metropolises, which were immediate targets of the factions involved in the apocalypse. majority of the people living in the countryside perished as well... the result of intense fallout radiation.

The Chun Jie Dam for some reason however suffered less radiation than the surrounding areas. Some civilians who fled their homes seeking shelter just as the bombs started falling were fortunate enough to stumble across the Dam's facility; eventually taking shelter inside. many of these people along with the Dam's personnel made the Dam their home. Some of them tried to return to their towns and take a look at what happened to the world after the firestorm has passed, but these people were never heard of again.

decades later, 'Dam Town' as it came to be called held out as a shelter for the descendants of the original survivors. The Chung Jie dam proved to be quite a providence: as it was, for some reason, equipped with a water purification device, which enabled the inhabitants to purify the contaminated reservoir water.

noteS:

I want to hear suggestions on the dam, what is it lacking? don't worry about the control center and the facilities... they're meant to be buildings anyway.

here's how it looks atm,

Last edited by IVI on Tue May 15, 2007 3:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

Mortecha
Commander

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

IVI as always its incredible.. i just have no words other than that to describe it. Excellent work.

gufu
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I can only imagine he maping possibility's

Oshog
General

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Welcome back Smile

Magnificent work as usuall. But isn't Lao Tze that SHP and vxl god from years ago?

Ickus
General

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DAMMMN! #Tongue

never cease to impress! IVI.! always dish out "DAMN" brillant stuff. Wink

thats probably coincidence. but Lao Tze, was another "avant garde" sprite artist from years ago.

IVI
Commander

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

El D34dlyto wrote:
Welcome back Smile

Magnificent work as usuall. But isn't Lao Tze that SHP and vxl god from years ago?

is that so? I always thought that Lao Tze fits as a name for a city or town well then, I'll change the name of the dam to Chung Jie, it's a very common chinese name.

thanks for the replies, I'm working on it atm Smile

IVI
Commander

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 12:25 pm    Post subject: 70% complete Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

the dam tiles are 70% done. The dam itself is 100% complete but I still have to do the road on top of the dam and the dam structures.

I encountered a problem however and any help would be much appreciated.

you see, the dam is a collection of cliff tiles modified with the dam image. when you view it in map editor, the dam looks ok. but when look at it ingame, TS lighting spoils it. see the picture below to see what I mean.

when using maps with brightness = 1.0, some parts of the dam are so bright you can hardly see anything but white. and then the depth related lighting is so abrupt, the dam looks terrible.

I do wish someone would post a solution to this, the only solution I can think off is modifying the upper tiles to be a tad darker than the tiles immediately beneath them to cancel the lighting effect.

is there some way to 'turn off' the lighting for a specific tileset??????

IVI dam with gradient.PNG
 Description:
I set this map's lighting to be 0.8 that of the normal so make it look acceptable but in actuality the tiles that are 'higher' are drawn too brightly. Moreover, the lighting is too abrupt for different levels.
 Filesize:  372.57 KB
 Viewed:  26670 Time(s)

IVI dam with gradient.PNG

Gangster
Commander

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

0.0 stuning! GREAT job.

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh...my...pants! Yes pants! They took and went off when they saw that thing! Surprised

btw, about the lightning...I'm afraid that's another side effect. You can always try changing the level lightning while mapping.

IVI
Commander

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 3:48 pm    Post subject: I fixed it... sort of Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I did what I could.... the damn gradient isn't horrendously painful to look at now but it's still there...

I minimized the shadow grading effect by TS' braindead lighting system by putting invisible light posts and invisible negative light posts at key points around the dam; mostly by trial and error. The result is still ugly, but at least for me it's bearable to look at now.

have a look and tell me if it's ok. I could still use some solutions so feel free to come up with a better idea on how to eliminate that grading as i'm far from satisfied with the results

dam fix.PNG
 Description:
 Filesize:  328.96 KB
 Viewed:  26649 Time(s)

dam fix.PNG

Team Black
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's bearable-
Another thing you could do iwould be to brighten/darken the individual tiles according to their level of height, to compensate for the shadow - make the tiles on the top darker, and the ones on the bottom lighter.

It might take some time, but it would solve the problem~

Another thing to consider would be the ground spaces on the dam, i.e. where that bonus crate is - it wouldn't quite be accurate if players were allowed to build small buildings on it, or carryall-drop units onto the dam itself...

on the map, I'd be sure to put some invisible rock or something on those spaces to prevent any of that stuff from happening

Tiberian Odyssey mapping department. Discord
The Team Black Index

IVI
Commander

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks for the tips Blackster. yeah, I know what you mean about remaking the problematic tiles... but that would be very tedious... with a lot of trial and error involved... so I have that as my last resort.

and I'll do that invisible rock thing too. Smile

NiGhtPiSH
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This just killed me...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Skype Account Yahoo Messenger Account
shinji
AA Infantry

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

the debri looks cool:D Idea why not u make some debri out of destroyed vehicles like a fallen titan of a old tank???

IVI
Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 12:17 pm    Post subject: Dam fixed!!! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Special thanks to Ixith and Yuri007 and all those who tried to help me with this Smile . The dam's fixed. Ixith and Yuri007 advised me to turn the level lighting to be approximately 0 (a very small number would do). That totally solved the gradient problem. The tradeoff is that all the cliffs are now exhibiting the same brightness regardless of height.. but that I solved by relocating the invisible negative light posts I originally used to fix the dam's problems to 'lower' places.

look and see Smile

:EDIT: dont worry about the overall lighting.... the map had ambience =0.5 that's why it's like that

fixed!!!.PNG
 Description:
 Filesize:  364.01 KB
 Viewed:  26592 Time(s)

fixed!!!.PNG

Last edited by IVI on Sun May 20, 2007 7:12 am; edited 1 time in total

IVI
Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sarpedon wrote:
the debri looks cool:D Idea why not u make some debri out of destroyed vehicles like a fallen titan of a old tank???

did you mean these?

aftermath.PNG
 Description:
 Filesize:  205.38 KB
 Viewed:  26588 Time(s)

aftermath.PNG

aftermath2.PNG
 Description:
 Filesize:  323.83 KB
 Viewed:  26588 Time(s)

aftermath2.PNG

geekspeek
Energy Commando

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm not a particularly religious person, but you are a GOD, IVI. A GOD.

This mod is dead!
Ackron wrote:
It would be good if it was better.

Mortecha
Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Everything is incredible, just incredible. IVI isnt just a god, he's the god.

shinji
AA Infantry

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yay thats so cool Very Happy Very Happy

IVI
Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Im very glad you liked it people but no, I'm not a god, I'm very VERY far form being like Him #Tongue. and I still have a lot to learn and a lot to fix (particularly my 3d programs.... first I had trouble setting up 3dsmax... now even 3dcanvas won't install Mad ). if there's any SHP master in this forum, I'd say it's Gangster Very Happy

Team Black
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Your humvees are still to big, and I won't leave you lone about it! #Tongue

But the rest is uber. It's fantastical. It's superrrrrrb. Cool

The Team Black Index

IVI
Commander

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

dont worry about it, I'll make new vehicles for the fallout mod... those vehicles are for AFA and are used as proxy for now. Smile

anyway, I know there's already too many Dam pics, but here's the last... it's a bird's eye view of the city of Chung Jie AKA: 'Dam City'.

the single player map is 30% complete... I'm making more paint buildings especially for this mission.

Chung Jie Dam City.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  870.08 KB
 Viewed:  26535 Time(s)

Chung Jie Dam City.JPG

Team Black
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

holy goodness that dam looks amazing! just a tad rough on the edges, make it blend in with the TS terrain and you're perfect Cool

The Team Black Index

Oshog
General

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Simply stunning.

IVI
Commander

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks Smile

here's what I've been doing after the dam was done... I was planning on not showing it until the whole city was done... but I just can't help myself #Tongue #Tongue

so, can anyone guess from which city this belongs to? Very Happy

credits to:
Gangster: for letting me use the terrain expansion
Fallout Tactics: for the colors I appropriated to make the new sandy ground
Fallout 2: for the inspiration

Vault 8.PNG
 Description:
soldier1: "wow, the land sure has changed since we entered the vault"

power armored soldier: "hurry up and bring the GECK up here."
 Filesize:  156.21 KB
 Viewed:  26420 Time(s)

Vault 8.PNG

Last edited by IVI on Sat May 26, 2007 5:47 pm; edited 2 times in total

Mortecha
Commander

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

lol let me guess, this ones too hard Cool. Vault city, considering its the only city in fallout 2 that has the vault entrance placed on a concrete wall. Excellent work.

Oshog
General

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well I'll be damned. IVI, you should totally enter the Small Buildings Contest. You'd stand a pretty good chance to win with such skill.

Oh, and for the record - this MS Paint (most probably) thing beats out msot of WW's 3D 2 SHP objects ingame. How do you do it?

Team Black
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I thought it was PSP he used. .

The Team Black Index

IVI
Commander

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

it's a trade secret Wink

no really, I make them in MS Paint first... I draw all the outlines and details either based on pictures or imagination then just texturize them fully in PSP Smile

ShadowLord
Grenadier

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Simply amazing wokr IVI! I need to show everybody this! I don't think it has been posted before but its about Fallout 3 http://fallout.bethsoft.com/

Mortecha
Commander

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ahh, bloody finally. You know how many years i have waited for this. Im glad thet bethesda has taken the reigns of interplay and judging by their previous work this is going to be awesome.

IVI
Commander

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hmm, I have to say that Im skeptical about this Fallout 3 by Bethesda. I still feel that if there's anyone who should be making Fallout games it's the original team. BUT, since all's done and done it's no use whining about it.

I have a bad feeling that the new Fallout's gonna look like something like Oblivion ....which for me means suckage.

Ixith
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

iv never completely played through the first 2 fallouts but iv played bits and parts of both. Never had the games myself but i got to play them whenever i went to my cousin's house as he had them. They were great and that vault city wall thing brings back some memories.

oh and about Fallout 3. I saw in either a PC Gamer or Game Informer, cant remember which, that my friend had there was a small article about it and had a pic of a destroyed Washington D.C. showed the capital building.
This pic to be exact:

In the article it said the game will probably take place on the east coast this time opposed to the other 2 which started on the West coast around California and the lot.

anyways everything looks great. I wish i knew where i could get the 1st 2 Fallouts so i could actually play through them all the way and see each thing that you do and how it fits.

Elerium-155
Commander

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A funny story arc which as a theme could be the evil Calculator's army from FT finding the western Brotherhood and ending up into a war with them, but then it would become a sort of cybermen vs humans so to speak. Mind you many people hated FT though, so I don't know if you should go with that. Most of the 'new' Fallouts take place in the East coast anyway.

Then of course you've got the Master's super mutant remnants from Fallout, theres a lot of potential to do some armies here.

IVI
Commander

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've got the story laid out so don't worry about a thing Wink . and as a note, I don't hate fallout tactics; in fact, I like it very much. I like everything about it except the slight inconsistencies with the original canon. But as long as an aspect of FT doesn't conflict with the canon then it's cool.

anyway, time for an update. once again, I can't resist posting a picture.. so here, have a look on the proto on Vault City Smile

notes: atm, I've finished 1/15 vault city buildings, and the VC cobble tiles are 25% done. it's hard getting them to LAT you see Confused

IVI VC proto.PNG
 Description:
 Filesize:  276.44 KB
 Viewed:  26295 Time(s)

IVI VC proto.PNG

Ixith
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

very nice work even for it not being close to done yet. keep the awesomeness coming. I love those buildings.

IVI
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:32 am    Post subject: VCAR proto Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've done some more 'Vault City Autonomous Republic' structures. I wont show all of them... for the moment. the vault city tiles are close to 50% done. I tried to make a new grass terrain but failed in the sense that I can't make newer shades of green.. so I had to resort back to the original green colors that the palettes provided. also, it's quite a disappointment how the colors are restricted: compare the proto on the VC fountain to its in-game colors (TS adjusted for colors it can't find)

have a look.

pepfountainproto.PNG
 Description:
 Filesize:  13.86 KB
 Viewed:  26120 Time(s)

pepfountainproto.PNG

IVI VC proto.PNG
 Description:
 Filesize:  276.44 KB
 Viewed:  26120 Time(s)

IVI VC proto.PNG

Dupl3xxx
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That's some awsome grafics! Very loveable #Tongue

shinji
AA Infantry

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

cool i like:D

gufu
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I gotta boot up Fallout 2... now!
And what about non-citizen area?

IVI
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:20 pm    Post subject: WIP: Midway City Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

here's something I've decided to enact today: "Midway City".

It's supposed to be a Carrier-out-of-water that drifters and homeless people found and turned into a town.

before the war it was a United States Navy Aircraft Carrier. it was called the 'Midway'. Now it's a derelict behemoth of junk metal that will probably never sail the seven seas ever again.

It's still a WIP, I've only almost just begun. I have to know whether it looks ok so I'll continue working on it.

Midway.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  82.31 KB
 Viewed:  21144 Time(s)

Midway.JPG

gufu
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's too pixely!

Bako'Ikaporamee
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'd say it looks like someone could walk right onto the top from the ground. IIRC it was only partially buried with a ramp going up into the craft. I've got a picture of the cruiser on my PC if you want me to get it for you.

Oh, fuggerbuggerrit!

Aro
Alcohol Fueled

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

IVI, are some of your ideas inspired by Armored Core? #Tongue

Bako'Ikaporamee
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Far as I've seen all of it's from our beloved Fallout series Very Happy

Oh, fuggerbuggerrit!

Destiny
President

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The deck is too pixelized and the bridge superstrucutre is too 3D...but it's still overall ownage. Make it a high-strength building, no?

Oh yes, do add some sand/rocks here and there too...it's totally epic #Tongue

Oshog
General

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You're back! Smile Welcome IVI, how's life been?

Also, not much to commenton the WIP. The idea is nice - a city. Add some tiggers that spawn civilian when you shoot it. That's be awesome. #Tongue

IVI
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hi Gosho and all you other people Smile , life's been so-so...

anyway, thanks for commenting. I'll improve on that pixellated appearance. And yes, it's going to be a city Smile

@ Aro,

No, I haven't had the pleasure of playing that game yet #Tongue. Is it any good?

Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon