Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:00 am
All times are UTC + 0
Creating a broken but fixable bridge
Moderators: Global Moderators, Red Alert 2 Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [17 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Jeynesey
Civilian

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:19 pm    Post subject:  Creating a broken but fixable bridge
Subject description: Can't figure it out in Final Alert 2
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi guys,

I have just started making maps and this one's a really simple thing that's bugging the hell out of me. I create a broken bridge, put a repair box next to it and it won't repair. Do I need to link them together or something?

Help greatly appreciated.

Medusa
Civilian

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:38 am    Post subject: Re: Creating a broken but fixable bridge Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Are you using Beginner mode? If not do that and you'll be given the option of placing bridges under the overlay menu and remember to place a bridge repair hut beside it.

Aro
Alcohol Fueled

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Are you using Beginner mode? If not do that and you'll be given the option of placing bridges under the overlay menu and remember to place a bridge repair hut beside it.

...What? O_o

Quote:

I have just started making maps and this one's a really simple thing that's bugging the hell out of me. I create a broken bridge, put a repair box next to it and it won't repair. Do I need to link them together or something?

Learn to read...

Anyway, when-ever i use FinalAlert2, i never create a broken bridge... I create a trigger to blow up the bridge(s). Go to the trigger editor, create a new trigger (obviously), go to event's and select "Elapsed Time", set the parameter's as 0. Now, select actions and find "Apply 100 Damage at". When this is all done, click on place on map located in the trigger editor at the top right corner. then, place it on / underneath the bridge(s)... This always works for me any-how. If you know little about triggers, press F1 in FinalAlert, and it'll come up with a small list of tutorials which are easy to follow.

FlyingZ
Medic

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hut must be close to building and it should be Civilian house.

Apply 100 damage is a good method but sometimes it's better to make them in FA2 for aesthetics.

IIRC place the broken bridge overlay by bridge then lower tileset until at the correct elevation

SilverSpider
Civilian

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You can make the hut in beginner eazy just put it close
but the blow trigger do not work if the brige is put invul
so how can I repair a broken invul Brige?

Aro
Alcohol Fueled

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You can't, as far as i know.

Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
but the blow trigger do not work if the brige is put invul
so how can I repair a broken invul Brige?

Ehh, why do you want to create a indestructable destroyed bridge Confused

DaRTzO
Laser Commando

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Is there any other method to create this other than Aro's trigger approach?

I'm trying to do the following...

I drew the bridge using the overlay menu options, placed the broken bridge overlay manually from the "over & specialy" at the bottom toolbar and then erased the overlay @ 1 field radius.

Before I add the broken tiles and erase the parts of the bridge I don't need, the bridge repair huts work when the bridge is destroyed in game, yet after it doesn't.

I remember there used to be some trick to making them in FA2, but can't recall after all the years.

G-E
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just fyi repair hut placement affects bridge repairing too, it is particularly tricky on certain cliff pieces to get the hut in the right spot without doing abrupt notches in the cliff face. What's frustrating is when one end repairs and the other doesn't...

TAK02
General

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ah yes, I remember having that problem too. I think it has something to do with the huts themselves.
I think you need to move the huts (their position needs to change at least once, and FA2 has to actually register/confirm that change) or you delete the huts and put them back in.

I do remember doing this with FA2 0.98 (ya know, the RA2 one). It worked for XWIS and RA2 1.003

I tend to release things I create so that assets are never lost to hard drive problems, accidental deletion, or me having to pretend to care about rippers taking things from my project when it is done. #Tongue

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Twitter Channel URL Skype Account
E1 Elite
General

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If erase ovelay is used on the bridge tiles then the bridge repair huts don't function.

If it is for aesthetics, can use MapSnapshot feature available in TS as a hack and YR with Ares. The map can be played without AI and then the bridge can be damaged in the game and then a map snapshot could be taken. OverlayPack and OverlayDataPack section from the snapshot map can then be copied to the original map.

TAK02
General

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

E1 Elite wrote:
If erase ovelay is used on the bridge tiles then the bridge repair huts don't function.
I explicitly remember getting them to work in RA2 1.003 despite that, but can't for the life of me remember how.

I tend to release things I create so that assets are never lost to hard drive problems, accidental deletion, or me having to pretend to care about rippers taking things from my project when it is done. #Tongue

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Twitter Channel URL Skype Account
Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Same here I've made damaged bridges & they repaired fine :/

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
E1 Elite
General

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What I understood from DaRTzO's post, the steps were
- From left panel, Special/Overlay -> Bridges -> draw the bridge which shows a black line for from to.
- From left panel, Special/Overlay -> Erase overlay -> remove the central pieces
- From Overlay & Special dropdown on the right, place the individual broken tiles for the broken ends.

Let me know if this works and also mention your working method steps in FA2.

TAK02
General

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

E1 Elite wrote:
What I understood from DaRTzO's post, the steps were
- From left panel, Special/Overlay -> Bridges -> draw the bridge which shows a black line for from to.
- From left panel, Special/Overlay -> Erase overlay -> remove the central pieces
- From Overlay & Special dropdown on the right, place the individual broken tiles for the broken ends.
Doesn't work, I just tested.

EDIT: I just confirmed the very same bridge CAN be repaired when damaged via TriggerAction 63 (but someone please call Alex to fix the two engies disappearing if ordered into bridge huts via Waypoints in-game)

EDIT2:
Here's what I tried:
- 'building' the bridge via Special&Overlay from start to finish. Then put the broken-off pieces at the right spots, and deleted what's between them.
=> BridgeHut unenterable
- 'building' the bridge same as above, but having a Trigger to destroy two segments.
=> chk it out yourself. No, really. I can't do screenshots atm. Test it with two engies at least.

E1 Elite
General

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Your tests only confirm that making damaged bridges with the above mentioned method doesn't make the bridge repairable straightaway. The question is whether with any other method repairable damaged bridge can be done through FA2.

From past 2 years or so, I am using the Map Snapshot method which works, just wanted to know if alternative exists through FA2.

E1 Elite
General

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

In OverlayTypes list, the high bridges use two indices with the same art. Big bridge in air TS/RA2 (index 24, 25), railbridge in TS (index 59, 60) and high wood bridge RA2 (index 237, 238). The art for these contains 18 normal frames. Game divides these 18 frames into two halves and uses those for the overlay index slots differently.

For example, for the big bridge: BRIDGE1 is at index 24, BRIDGE2 is at index 25. Both use the same art BRIDGE. The frames of 0 to 8 at index 24 when placed on the map, it is repairable and passable whereas frames of 9 to 17 at index 24 when placed on the map are not usable. On the other hand, frames of 9 to 17 at index 25 are repairable and passable whereas frames of 0 to 8 at index 25 are not passable or repairable.

In FA2/FinalSun, when a bridge is drawn from left panel with a line between the ends, it uses the usable frames correctly. But when choosing individual overlay frames from right side overlay and special dropdown, there is a chance of using both the usable and unusable frames to make a bridge. To identify which frames are repairable/passable, it is better to make changes to the language file in FA2/FinalSun.

In FA2/FinalSun folder edit FALanguage.ini/FSLanguage.ini and find:
Code:
Bridge 1=Bridge topleft-bottomright
Bridge 2=Bridge bottomleft-topright
Railroad Bridge 1=Railroad bridge topleft-bottomright
Railroad Bridge 2=Railroad bridge bottomleft-topright
Wood Bridge 1=Wood bridge topleft-bottomright
Wood Bridge 2=Wood bridge bottomleft-topright

and replace with something like
Code:
Bridge 1=Bridge Frames 1-9 Repairable-Passable
Bridge 2=Bridge Frames 10-18 Repairable-Passable
Railroad Bridge 1=Railroad bridge Frames 1-9 Repairable-Passable
Railroad Bridge 2=Railroad bridge Frames 10-18 Repairable-Passable
Wood Bridge 1=Wood bridge Frames 1-9 Repairable-Passable
Wood Bridge 2=Wood bridge Frames 10-18 Repairable-Passable

It is easier to make a full bridge from the left panel in FA2/FinalSun, then use erase overlay to clear some of the middle frames and fill up the needed graphics from the right side overlay and special dropdown to make a repairable bridge from within FA2/FinalSun by choosing the correct frames of the overlays.

Low bridge either wooden or concrete (RA2/TS), uses three frames to make one bridge piece. When a low bridge is drawn from the left panel of FA2/FinalSun, for every bridge piece, which covers three cells, the tool properly places frames 0, 1 and 2 in alignment with the next bridge piece. From the right side, overlay and special dropdown, in FinalSun only one frame is shown, so only the middle line (frame 1) gives the connectivity. In FA2, three frames are shown but the frames 0 and 2 are invisible, which makes it difficult to place those on the correct cell properly. So it is better to use only the left panel (drawing end to end line) to make proper usable low bridges in FA2/FinalSun.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [17 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon