Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:27 pm
All times are UTC + 0
Status of the World
Moderators: Red Europe Staff, Ackart
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [1 Post] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Ackart
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:13 am    Post subject:  Status of the World
Subject description: CIVILIAN:ARCH:001
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

August 29th, 1960

"How are you world?" I ask this from my beautiful office looking out into an urban utopia of modern living. My Cool Soda fizzes as moisture condenses around the blue tinted bottle which I purchased for five cents in one of many vending machines around town. The typewriter in front of me clacks with a lovely electric noise as a newly installedair conditioner blows ever-so-cool air into my face, a far cry from the searing temperatures outside.

"Not so good, John" the world replies in a muddled tone.

"Now why is that, World? Everything is fine for me." I speak only the truth, of course. I have a great job, a great home and a great family.

"John, there is a war going on right now that is taking thousands of lives every day." Of course I am unphased.

"But of course, World. It's only the European war between the Soviet Union and the European Allies. It does not concern me."

"But of course it does, John. In fact, it is not just the 'European War'. It goes infinitely deeper than that. Did you know that Russian forces occupy over eighty percent of the Middle East right now? Where do you think the oil to power your car comes from? Did you know a group of Soviet submarines were caught five miles outside of Manhattan? Perhaps you even know about the Chinese troops massing on the Tokyo DMZ?"

Of course it is that last part that hits home. Ask any man or woman born before 1944 what they think about Japan and you'll probably get a long string of curses followed by a racial slur or two. The American-Nippon war lasted for over five years and ended with a huge gash along the island country. On one side? America backed by over five years of blood, sweat and technological innovation. On the other side? A million angry Chinese turned Communist forces simply repaying the favor to Japan. It's been the focal point of Military spending debates for a decade and the threat of a Chinese invasion has been strong and true since the war began in Europe.

"But world, we can hold our own. We did it before. We've got better weaponry and technology that makes the mobile construction platform look like a set of blocks."

"You are right John. But so do they. We've all got advanced RADAR, rockets, lasers, tanks and the ability to put a man in space. You forget though, most of America's firepower and resources are going to Europe right now. Where else do you think the Europeans got those nice Longbows and Abrams? Even then the Soviets can counter us three ways or more. They've got brute force, men and resources on their side. What do the Allies posses?"

"Gee, world. I'd have to say spirit."

"Good luck using spirit in a battle."

I coughed.

"Jeez world, why do you have to make it such an attack?"

"Hey, you asked first."

John Kauffman, Dallas Evening Post Technical Panel writer.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [1 Post] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon