Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:24 am
All times are UTC + 0
Your favourite Retro games
Moderators: Global Moderators, Offtopic Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [42 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Titan
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:29 am    Post subject:  Your favourite Retro games
Subject description: Re-enacting your childhood
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey people. Lately I've been surfing the internet and found quite a lot of abandonware versions of some pretty old games. I know we live in 2007 with fancy DX10 graphics supported by high-tech video cards on pc's with cutting-edge quad-core processors on LCD monitors with insane resolutions and 32 Bit quality, but let's not forget the age of EGA, VGA and creaky PC's making so much noise your average Hotrod'd turn green from utter jealousy...

Anyhow, I'll cut the poëtical side of the story, it's getting old. Laughing

OMF - 2097

My favourite childhood game must be "One must fall - 2097". It's basically 2D mortal combat using huge robots. The thing setting it apart from other lame fighting games is the fact it actually plays very smooth. The controls are finely polished and physics actually make sense! Laughing . I have read loads of hugely positive reviews and there's bound to be a slumbering community somewhere, I just haven't found it yet, heheh. You can make your own tournaments for the game, though, it's just the task of converting images to PCX files with weird palette restrictions that's bugging me... #Tongue It's got a sequel btw, OMF : Battlegrounds. In order to get the game to work, you've got to get DosBox, which you can find here.

Note: DosBox is easy to use, but it doesn't explain how mounting works on screen. If you have any questions (IE: you're lazy and haven't read the manual or found out a way to get to the FAQ), just post here.

Screenies:

Download & Review

Stargunner

Stargunner, a beautiful 2D shooter that wasn't recognised because the masses all flocked to the "cooli000" 3D games. Awesome music, great effects, gameplay is addictive as hell.

Download, pictures & review

Guimo

Guimo, an old platform shooter featuring a green creature fighting random opponents in random levels. What? Did I hear "boo"? Hmmm, be careful, I have this nice baseball bat here... Twisted Evil It has nice music and funny gameplay. Worth a few of your precious hours. Btw, It's a Brazilian game, I wonder whether Bansheeboy has ever heard of it, heh.

Screenies:

'Homepage' in Portugese (including full download):

If you think this is a lame idea, I have a message for you: jump off a balcony! Smile For those that are actually interested, you wouldn't mind sharing your favourite childhood games, eh? No illegal stuff please, not that I care, but you know, we're sort of not allowed to.

Take care, people. Oh, and be sure to have fun.

Mortecha
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I mainly had an amiga as a kid. My favorite games include Zeewolf, The origional Cannon fodder, Uridium and Uridium 2, desert strike and good old Turrican.

Godofgamers
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Does Commander Keen count as retro?

gufu
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Contra(NES)

Who cannot remember people's favorite 2D shooter of all NES time? It quickly became my favorite, as me and my friend used to play it's co-op... beating it once in a while. Now, the only way to relive thy glory days is to play ROMs... sadly - only way to get back an advantage of a second player, you'll need to cheat. #Tongue

Basicly, there a whole slew of other favorites... but not now...

Von Kriplespac
General

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Team Black
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Lemmings FTW XD

Also a fan of Tyrian (the demo - I hadn't gotten the actual full "Tyrian 2000" till recently! )
Can't get pics though from them dos progs Confused

lemmings.PNG
 Description:
 Filesize:  29.91 KB
 Viewed:  5269 Time(s)

lemmings.PNG

Tiberian Odyssey mapping department. Discord
The Team Black Index

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Commander Keen FTW!!!

Styledatol
Flamethrower

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dosbox is too laggy.
Try FreeDos:
http://www.freedos.org/
Faster and easier to use.

As for my favorite Games:
Duke Nukem II

The Fantastic Adventures of Dizzy

... and last but not least, the awesomeness!
Battletoads!!!

Ickus
General

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wizards and Warriors.

Golden Axe

Jurassic Park and JP: Ramapge Edition.

Jurassic Park 2: The Chaos Continues

Primal Rage

gufu
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BIOMENACE(DOS)

Played it a few years ago, when it became a freeware. It's very enjoyable and with a touch of humor. Very well made levels and monster added on to enjoyment of the game.

I gotta dl it to this computer...

Machine
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I see that nobody has mentioned any of my old favorite games; well with the exception of black, who mentioned lemmings; I just loved that game, the nuke was a really "useful tool" Laughing

Anyways, a list of my favorite games.

Dune II:
Well the greatest RTS of all time, not really, but it's the RTS that made me fall in love with that genre. Also it should be considered the first real RTS, as all the subsequent RTS were "inspired by it". It was my first Westwood game.

EVO the search for Eden:
An old platform game, in which you travel trough time and evolution to become a human. It was quite fun, however it was quite repetitive from time to time. Also the secret scenes were quite cool Laughing

The Lost Vikings:
Puzzle platform game in which you control 3 vikings which are lost in time and space trying to come back home. Quite fun but also in the latter levels it was quite hard, and if I remember it correctly I never finished it. It was my first Blizzard Game

Blackthorne:
Another old Blizzard Entertainment puzzle-platform game. Way more serious than the lost vikings and also with less puzzles, but with more action.

Warcraft II:
Were Blizzard fanboyism started, I just love this game, and specially it's music; it was fantastic.

@Ickus: I though that you would have included Ecco the Dolphin in that list

gufu
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

@was that a fan project?
Dune 2 never had that look of sidebar

Team Black
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Forgot a couple XD

Zelda, marble madness, megaman, and...

MARIO 3 TEH OWNAGE!! (bear suit/statue was always my favorite #Tongue )'

Sonic 3 + knuckles was also a totally roxorz game, but I don't have it on emulator - but I still got em on mah Sega Genisis XD

mario 3.PNG
 Description:
 Filesize:  13.6 KB
 Viewed:  5212 Time(s)

mario 3.PNG

mmanx.PNG
 Description:
 Filesize:  17.03 KB

mmanx.PNG

nes.PNG
 Description:
 Filesize:  15.73 KB

nes.PNG

Tiberian Odyssey mapping department. Discord
The Team Black Index

Mr. Pokey
Energy Commando

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BATTLETOADS Very Happy

Organised Rules.ini by Judeau

GeckoYamori
Cyborg Artillery

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've played Guimo and I'm also one of the few fans of Stargunner. I've unsuccessfully tried to get that game running in Dosbox. If you want something modern in the same vein, try Jets n' Guns.

gufu
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Marble Madness FTW!

Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

For me, the first game i played really much was... Command and Conquer 1 (aka Tiberian Dawn). And before that i played some games too, but i can't remember the names of those Embarassed I think i played too much C&C, so it took over my memories Twisted Evil Laughing

Elerium-155
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Retro games and my childhood? Wink Lets see..

Captain Skyhawk

Anyone remember Captain Skyhawk? I played this when I was really young.. you basically fly around in some futuristic jet blowing up alien stuff then blowing up an alien space station, the only problem was that I remember it was so damn hard trying not to get yourself blown up every two seconds.

Secret of Mana

Oh, and of course Secret of Mana (this game was THE staple of my childhood). You go around killing things, upgrading your weapons, fighting creative and some tough as nails bosses, you get attached to the characters, this was the RPG in its prime. The only problem with the game though was the last boss, who was easy to defeat and not much of a challenge at all. Oh the soundtrack was freaking awesome.

You're basically in the role of a kid who fell off a waterfall and found a sword in the rock, and after you pull it out with an explosion of light you see a ghost calling your name. To cut a long story short, you're on an epic quest, it's hard to explain it all but as you go along it all fleshes out with new villains and more details about your PC's past. I recommend this game, tons of fun.

Seiken Densetsu 3

And then its fan translated but only released in Japan but still kicks ass sequel Seiken Densetsu 2. Not exactly part of my childhood as I discovered it at least a year or two ago, but nevertheless, it takes me back. More beat the crap out of stuff with storyline goodness with great soundtrack! #Tongue

Illusion of Time (although called Illusion of Gaia outside of Europe).

Another game which was sort of a part of my childhood, known pretty much as I remember for its avatar characters, mainly Will who was a kid who had a flute as a weapon, the dark knight dude called Freedan (second screenshot), and Shadow who is basically a liquid energy mass (first screenshot).

The storyline really confused me, but the graphics, music and stuff was great for its time, plus if you feel like in one of those moods where you solve puzzles to expand on the plot while beating the crap out of everything as you go along. Also it gets points for having hard game bosses (and tons of frustration).

Super Strike Gunners

Now this is one of my favourites. It's the future where cities burn, you're in experimental jets and this was one of my first staple shoot-em-ups but the soundtrack and weapons included sometimes made the bosses a piece of cake, but still it was a blast, and if you had 2 player mode you could have a lot of fun with it.

Super Bomberman..

'Nuff said #Tongue

Oh and X-Com UFO, another one of the landmark staples of my childhood:

Also Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past, Yoshi's Island too. As well as some of the games other people have mentioned, and Civilization 2, but does
anyone play Alpha Centauri?

Basically you're remnants from Earth who land on a living planet, and after the captain of the expedition was assassinated, each of the critical crew members had their own ideology on society and fled on their own separate pods. This game I knew for its customization, the faction leaders and their quotes in the research tree, I even remember some. Another brilliant game.

I could go on, I might post some more later.

Last edited by Elerium-155 on Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

gufu
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:

They are so screwed...
1)They are T-shirts
2)They still have rifles
3)Cyberdisk is close(Murderous machine+explodes on death)
4)MC away!
5)Squadies STLL have large chanse of doom & death

Machine
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OMG I feel blasphemous, as I forgot to add the megaman and bomberman series to the list Laughing
I also forgot to add some other games as:

Civilization, such a great game Laughing

DooM II:
I don't think that I should say anything about it #Tongue

Phantasy Star IV: The End of Millennium
Well simply the best RPG for the Sega genesis, with a lovely comic book style story sequences.

@gufu:
I didn't notice the sidebar before, it's likely to be a fan project.

@Elerium-155:
I thought that it was Seiken Densatsu 3; anyways it was a good game; I used to play with Duran as the main character then Angela, and finally Hawk #Tongue (BTW it is not a part of my childhood either, as I played the fan translation, like 4-5 years ago).

Elerium-155
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Machine wrote:

I thought that it was Seiken Densatsu 3; anyways it was a good game; I used to play with Duran as the main character then Angela, and finally Hawk #Tongue (BTW it is not a part of my childhood either, as I played the fan translation, like 4-5 years ago).

Whoops, forgot about putting it a 3 #Tongue Somehow Secret of Mana 2 just keeps subliminally floating..

Yeah Duran was my main character as well, Judeau's cleared it too. I went for Lord though for his level 3.

Suiseiseki
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

friday-13th
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Does Mortal combat count #Tongue

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Skype Account Yahoo Messenger Account
Bako'Ikaporamee
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I played several games during my childhood

~turrican
~metroid
~jazz jack rabbit 2
~warcraft
~dune 2
~missile command
~all the mario games
~some old turbographics games
~pitfall
~Jurassic Park
~contra
~some space game featuring the UEs as they were called
~sonic
~r-type
~final fantasy(cant remember which one)
~alien breed
there was a tonne of others, but I don't own most of these anymore, so I can't addd anymore to the list.

Oh, fuggerbuggerrit!

nikoleah
Rocket Infantry

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Tiberian Dawn... I don't need to give pics. I still have tiberian dawn for Ps one

Lt Albrecht
Defense Minister

Location: Hampshire, England. Creating RA2: Moscow's vengeance

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Me too! I don't think it workss anymore though...

Tore
Plasma Trooper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dune 2!!! Yeah that game is awesome! (Was Dune 2 the first RTS ever?) It has been sometime since I last played it ......

DonutArnold
General

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Snake's Revenge (NES)

Iron Sword (Wizards & Warriors II)

and some other NES games... I'll post 'em later...

Elerium-155
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

How could I forget this:

X-Beyond the Frontier

This was one of the prime games of my childhood, in my earliest days of gaming I used to watch my dad and brother play Elite, I even had a go on playing Elite myself, but I was too young to really get into that genre, when I matured enough around 12 or 13, this game came out, and we were all hooked on this. It's like Elite, except I really enjoyed it, and the storyline is enough to get you hooked on, and there's even 3 sequels out coming into 4, X-Tension, X2 the Threat, X3: Reunion and sooner or later an expansion pack is going to be released for X3.

The storyline is, Earth made a series of Jumpgates to explore the universe, and created Terraformers to colonize the galaxy's planets. Eventually the Terraformers became self aware and started killing off Humanity, when the fleet was poised to annihilate Earth, a military general and his fleet, Admiral R.Gunne lured the fleet through the Earth Jumpgate and the gate on our side was destroyed.

500 years later back on Earth, you're Kyle Brennan, a test pilot for the latest ship Jumpdrive. When you use it, you don't end up in the outer reaches of Sol, but you end up in alien space dominated by the "Teladi Company", who save you but they see you really as a potential profit investment (think of the Ferangi from Star Trek but lizards and you'll know what I mean).

The funny things about this game is that 3 of the races are named after Noble Gases Laughing but this game is seriously great. I could go on explaining the story, but as this is retro games topic I'll just mention the first in the series that got me playing and loving this series.

Just to show you how far the game has progressed from the first screenshot, I'm playing X3: Reunion now at the moment, with awesome graphics although the storyline needs a lot to be considered, but I don't care, it's part of my childhood and now it's part of my adulthood and it stays that way Wink Fan of Elite? play this game but make sure you have a good computer to really enjoy X3 though #Tongue

Muldrake
Supreme Commander

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Now there is a game which looks beautiful. Always love space based stuff, and the X series of games always delivered. That said, I never got around to it.
Either I didn't have enough money when I was young, or now.. just didn't get around to it. I don't think I want to know what I'd be like if I got into another set of games outside of C&C. I'd never get any work done.

But if I can add a series of games to the list:

Worms!
Such an awesome set of games. No messing, just simple comedy value carnage.
Worms 2 I loved for the sheer flexibility of what you could do with the weapon settings. But Worms Armageddon had more flexibility elsewhere, as well as more support for online and LAN games. To which I have regular WA LAN games with my housemates. Good times!

Elerium-155
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah the X games need a lot of time to get into them, but I find it's worth it #Tongue

On the Worms games, if you have Worms Armageddon then me, maybe Judeau and a few others wouldn't mind having a few rounds with you over hamachi Wink

Muldrake
Supreme Commander

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have done before, I think with you guys. But only 1 or 2 games. But I'm always up for more! Very Happy
Problem is, all 4 house mates now have it on their comp, which means.. most of the time at least one wants to play. I have gotten *SO* little work done recently because of that damn game! But maybe I can fit in an online game or two Wink.

gufu
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I has worms... but from yearlier tries, it doesn't work. Pirate version. (Dum! Dum! Dum!)

djohe
Cyborg Informer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sonic The Hedgehog!, yes Team Black Sonic 3+Knuckles (also known as S3K for the sonic players) owns.

Thankyou Suiseiseki for the nice link to http://www.zonesega.com/ Smile

These are the places I go to for my Sonic needs right now Very Happy

http://info.sonicretro.org/Main_Page
www.dailymotion.com
http://sonic-world.ru/download.php (they got everything Laughing )
http://www.planete-sonic.com/index.php

By the way the "Sonic X" TV series rocks. Just be sure to watch the french or japanese version of it becaus 4kids have hacked the english version. All episodes can be found on Sonic-World.ru including Subtitles.

Pepzi
Plasma Trooper

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DeathRay2K
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My favourite old games were:

Commander Keen

Crystal Caves

Hocus Pocus

Jill of the Jungle

At least, those are the ones I still have in my desk drawer next to all my newer games.

I never had any money, so I always got the shareware floppies, instead of the full games...

gufu
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Pepzi wrote:

So this is how Japanese version of Contra looked like!
The original is better though.

friday-13th
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Skype Account Yahoo Messenger Account
Styledatol
Flamethrower

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That topic is like one big nostalgic orgasm.
Sometimes I nice the days of 2D consule gaming, games were simple, games were fun, games were original (Curse you Heavenly Sword! You second rate clone of God of War!!!)

daTS
Mr. Moosey

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hmm.. I didn't get my first gaming station until I was 12... I spent most of my freetime outside with my friends playing "army"... (no seriously, we'd grab airsoft rifles and armor and shit.. we lived in the country so we had some serious battles... like 15 vs 15 ppl and whatnot..)

but yeah, my first and still one of my favorites:
DONKEY KONG 64

I still have the Jungle Green/semi-transparent N64 too. Very Happy

screenies:

and here's a whole list of just wierd shit you find in DK64
Oddities in DK64

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Skype Account
Arikado
Jumpjet Infantry

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

gufu wrote:
Pepzi wrote:
Probotector
So this is how Japanese version of Contra looked like!

What? That's the craptastic censored version of Contra for the Europeans. They had to put up with that crap for most of the Contra games. The last one that was censored like that was Hard Corps for SEGA Megadrive/Genesis.

Titan Mk II wrote:
One Must Fall 2097

The only OMF I've ever played was the original demo version with only 1 arena and 2 characters that resembled Ryu and Ken from Street Fighter. Laughing

Lots of Apogee classics posted here already. Nice that StarGunner gets love but what about...
Raptor: Call of the Shadows

Or id Software's prelude to Wolfenstein 3d...
Catacomb 3-D

And the rest.. Blake Stone: Aliens of Gold, Rise of the Triad, Halloween Harry/Alien Carnage, Duke Nukem 1 and 2, Jurassic Park, Star Wars: Dark Forces, Terminal Velocity, etc.

And that's just the PC side. I also grew up with a NES. Laughing

Pepzi
Plasma Trooper

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
What? That's the craptastic censored version of Contra for the Europeans. They had to put up with that crap for most of the Contra games. The last one that was censored like that was Hard Corps for SEGA Megadrive/Genesis.

Never knew that at the time #Tongue Hell this was over a decade ago and I'm 20 #Tongue

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [42 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace! 

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum