Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:08 am
All times are UTC + 0
How to prevent problems with buildings, mouse.shp
Moderators: Global Moderators, Tiberian Sun Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Reaperrr
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:55 am    Post subject:  How to prevent problems with buildings, mouse.shp
Subject description: ...and where to find the palettes for some SHPs
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I found out some stuff about SHPs and palettes while working on ROTD, so I thought I just might share these infos.

It's entirely possible that some or even most of you have found out about  these things already, but since I've never seen this stuff mentioned anywhere (except for the palette thing), I decided to post it here.

-Building SHPs -> They HAVE to use compression 3, else you'll get ugly refresh errors where objects that should be hidden behind the building suddenly overlap it. Using compression 3 for your building SHPs (in XCC Mixer, make sure the "Compression" option is checked) prevents this error from occuring.
I didn't find out about it until today, that's why all ROTD versions including 2.7 have this "bug", so to get a demonstration of this bug, play ROTD, drive a vehicle behind your obelisk (or other high building) so that the obelisk should hide it, and then scroll up or down until it is out of view, and then scroll back. There's a high chance you'll have a nice vehicle looking through the Obelisk even though it shouldn't. With buildings that use compression 3 for the SHP, this doesn't happen. (And yeah, there will be an update for ROTD sooner or later)

- TS/RA2 mouse.shp -> I guess most people have figured that out already. unlike buildings, the mouse absolutely dislikes compression 3, and must be compression 1 (=> no compression) in order to make the game work properly.

- missing palettes for some SHPs in TS, TD, and eventually in RA games, too -> If you cannot find the right palette for a certain SHP even though you tested through all palettes you could find in the MIXes, there's a high chance that the SHP uses a palette directly from a PCX file. This is often the case with SHPs related to score screen animations, for example. Just use XCC Mixer to "Copy as PAL" the scorescreen PCX, put the resulting .pal file in a mix inside the folder of that cnc game, and restart XCC Mixer. Choose the new palette et voilà, if it was the right PCX you extracted the palette from, you should now be able to view and convert the SHP with the correct colors.

Well, I hope these infos might help someone.

Key Words: #Tutorials #SHPs #Graphics #Media #TiberianSun #Firestorm #RedAlert2 #YurisRevenge #XCCUtilities #OSSHPBuilder 

Ickus
General

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hrm...interesting observations does this apply of other animations..maybe Terrain objects?

also in TS I've added "Corpse" animations not infantry deaths, but to units. Using the explosion animation set. the first one is of it dying then it plays a really slow animation of its "corpse" decaying away. Unfortunately any unit that crosses over it gets obscured by it..rather than playing underneath it.

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

Also Known As: banshee_revora (Steam)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The compression option on XCC Mixer may save some frames with compression 3 and others with compression 1, depending on which takes less disk space. OS SHP Builder also saves like that, but it has an option to force compression 3 on every frame.

sunfowerggs
Civilian

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon