Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:37 am
All times are UTC + 0
Cliffs [3d tutorial] -unfinished
Moderators: Global Moderators, Red Alert 2 Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [37 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
DonutArnold
General

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 8:00 pm    Post subject:  Cliffs [3d tutorial] -unfinished Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello to you who happens to have 3ds Max/other 3d program. I like to present you a set of tutorials (which will be done when I have free time) that helps classic C&C modding 3d artists to be less dependent from other 3d artists and their skills.

Cliffs tutorial:

[Required programs]
3ds Max (or any other 3d program)
Photoshop (or any other 2d program)
XCC Mixer
TMP Builder
TMP Editor 1.05 Unofficial version
OS Palette Editor

Part 1: Setting up

This tutorial covers up everything about making cliffs with 3ds max (or another 3d program) and how to finish them and put them into the game. I have a custom template for rendering modeled stuff where I just xref objects and render them with separate shadows. I'll tell you in the part 5 how you can make the same kind of a template as I have. One cell is 200x200 (x,y) in 3ds max units and cell height is 81,7 (z). All cliffs made by WW are 4 cells high (4*81,7=326,8). Note: some of the steps are optional, so you don't have to do them in the exact way I did.

Part 2: Modeling

At first create a plane (this is the cliff plane) with height 326,8 and width 200. Put some segments for width (4 to 8) and many segments for length (average 10). And then create two 200x200 planes and place one of them at the bottom front of the cliff plane and the second one on the top back of the cliff plane. Make sure that top vertexes of the cliff plane are at 326,8 (z) and bottom vertexes are at 0 (z) (you can do it easier if you turn cliff plane into editable poly/mesh with right mouse click while cliff plane selected).

Now select all the top edges of the cliff plane and extrude them 3-5 times and move them over the top plane (from side view turn them into half round). Then select the bottom edges and move them upward and extrude them 2 to 4 times and turn them into a ramp-a-like. These extrudes are supposed to make cliff plane fit the top&bottom planes better.

Now you can move vertexes of cliff plane anyhow you like. The most left&right vertexes must be left alone to make cliff tiles to match each other easier. Well, the way I chose is to move all the middle vertexes backward. Then I noticed it overlaps the top plane and leaves a huge hole behind the bottom plane. I added some segments (about 6) for the top plane and turned it into editable poly. Then I moved the vertexes of top plane so they won't overlap anymore. Note: remember to turn smoothing groups of the cliff plane off.

Now clone (right mouse click -> clone -> copy, not instance or reference!) the bottom plane and move it under the top plane. Also, make the vertexes of the cliff plane to look more random (you may also check how to add noise modifier into specific vertexes on part 3). If you want you can add some random "rocks" there and there (check part 3 for noise modifier). Segments: approximately 3.

Modelings done, now jump into part 3.

Part 3: Modifiers

In this part we add some noise modifiers to the cliff (and for the "rocks" too) and UVW Map modifiers for all of the objects. The best way to noise modifier cliff plane is to do it three parts. First, select the middle vertexes and add new noise modifier with values: 50x50x50 (X,Y,Z) and Fractal checked. You can also try to change the seed. When you have done the values right mouse click the modifier in the list and click Collapse To and click Hold/Yes. If the cliff plane looks a it rude and ugly, you can chamfer some horizontal edges (select one horizontal edge and click loop for faster selection).

Now select the top middle vertexes and put noise modifier for them. Check what Z,X,Y -direction in noise modifier moves vertexes forward/backward and add value 25 to 75 for it. You can also put 25 to all directions if you like. Check Fractal and do the same as you did in the last step. Now repeat the same thing for the bottom vertexes.

Now select top&bottom planes (only those you have modified manually) and apply UVW Map Modifier for them and check Planar.

After this, select the cliff plane and apply UVW MAP Modifier for it too. This time select Box. Click the modifier to turn it into yellow. This allows you to scale the gizmo. Select Scale tool and turn the gizmo into a perfect box (cube). The gizmo must be as high as the cliff plane.

You can also apply UVW map for the "rocks". Next part, please.

Part 4: Texture

You can put anykind of texture you like for the cliff plane. You can also you that same texture for the "rocks". In 3ds max press key 'M' -> Select empty material -> Diffuse map: bitmap -> Choose a nice texture -> Select the cliff plane object -> Assign material. If texture seems to be too thick you can decrease value of Tiling or increase it if it looks too loose. To vary the texture increase/decrease the value of the Offset and the W-Angle.

Right now I want some grass texture (that is similiar with RA2 urban grass) for top&bottom planes, so I decided to open XCC Mixer and find some urban grass tiles. Then I print screen it to PhotoShop where I find the three main colours of that tile (the brightest, the darkest and the one between those) with the Eyedropper tool. It seems to be that mid is 137,137,85 , the brightest: 145,165,85 and the darkest: 40,52,16.

Now I took a new material and chose Diffuse map: Speckle (I suppose that other 3d programs doesn't have this kind of a map). Then I changed the black colour into grass' darkset colour and assigned second Speckle map for the white. For the second speckle map I changed the black colour into grass' brightest colour and white into grass' mid colour. I also turn both speckle sizes to value 5,0 and turned the second speckle's Z-angle into value 45,0. There was a thing I couldn't avoid noticing; when rendering the cliff using the template, speckle colours' brightness were about 2-3% higher than they supposed to be. Fixed this by changing both the darkest and the mid brightness down a bit (left the brightest colour alone, but it can be a bit brighter). Note: in these images I haven't fixed the colours perfectly:

Now rendering stuff...

Part 5: Rendering

As I told, one cell (both RA2 and TS) in my template is 200x200 (3dsmax) units. Now I tell you how to make same kind of a template I have. At first, make a plane with size 8500x8500 and move it into coords 0,0,0 (x,y,z). Make sure it doesn't have any segments. Now create a target camera and put coords 11003,891,-11003,891,8984,671 (x,y,z) for it and make sure that the target point is at coords 0,0,0. Note: this template doesn't have exact RA2/TS lightings, but they're enough good for me...

Now make sure that the camera's lens is 43,456 and Orthographic projection is ON. Also, change the camera type to free camera. For TS camera setting turn lens value to 34,765. Just in case, check that target distance is 3596,9.

Now let's put some lighting. Create two IES Sun lights. First one's position for RA2/YR: -14302,817,-34054,277,49153,375 and for TS: -1793,007,-36892,414,49153,367. Second one's position for RA2/YR: 26216,645,-26018,301,49153,375 and for TS: 51340,516,-4295,351,33556,23. Remember to put targets' coords to 0,0,0!

Now modify sun parameters. You can turn off Targeted parameter. For Sun01 turn Shadows ON and select Ray Traced Shadows from the list. Let's edit Intensity: RA2/YR: Sun01: 900 and Sun02: 1400. TS: Sun01: 1400 and Sun02: 800. After this we'll edit Object Shadow Density: Sun01: 0,6 and Sun02: 0,5.

Part 6: 2D editing
Part 7: Playing TMPs
Hints:

1. You could also use the template to render buildings for TS/RA2. Just turn off the background antialiasing.

Credits:

DonutArnold
IcySon55 (for helping me so many times)
Gangster (for getting right lighting positions for TS)

Key Words: #Tutorials #Terrain #TMP #3DModels #3DsMax #Graphics #Media #RedAlert2 #YurisRevenge #OpenRA 

Last edited by DonutArnold on Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:11 pm; edited 12 times in total

DonutArnold
General

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Topic unlocked.

ChielScape
General

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

nice looking tut. wish there were more like that out there.

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

*downloads blender and gives it a try*

Awesome!

Aro
Alcohol Fueled

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Excellent work DA.
If anything we really need a 3D to SHP tutorial, meselfs one has disappeared from the face of the earth. Confused

DonutArnold
General

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ORCACommander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

awesome mate

YuriX
Medic

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice totorial. I tried for several times and the result is:

Holy_Master
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

nice tut and nice time you put it. thankyou

Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Good tutorial DonutArnold! Maybe you can move it to the RA2 tutorial forum or to the Media Hut?

DonutArnold
General

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'll move it into the RA2 tutorial forums as soon as I get it finished. Smile

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

why don't you just extract the ground tile to which you want the cliff to fit, and apply this as a simple bitmap texture to the top/bottom planes? Wink

But nonetheless a good tutorial.

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

DonutArnold
General

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Uh oh, just wanted to show the usefulness of the speckle map. I'll fix that asap...

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ah no, that's not necessary. I think a hint that using the bitmap texture works too would be enough. So we can see the more advanced version using the speckle map.

Public SHPs

Tools

DonutArnold
General

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'll return to work this tutorial today...

tobiasboon46
Shrapnel Sniper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Finish this for god's sake!

Err...the image above means no offence to the american people...It's a bit of what I feel about it's gov't >_>

Deformat
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sorry to bump,but,out of curiosity,which are the lighting options for SHPs in 3dsmax?

EDIT:Nevermind.

Anderwin
General

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Will this be finished?

MT
General

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah, I would love to see this tutorial finished. As well as more tutorials for terrain in general.

Aro
Alcohol Fueled

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

MT wrote:
Yeah, I would love to see this tutorial finished. As well as more tutorials for terrain in general.

Oh shush, I said I'll do it when I have time. #Tongue

DonutArnold
General

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Of course this will be finished! Just watch. #Tongue

Nikademis Von Hisson
General

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:45 am    Post subject: cliff Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I hate to open a dead topic, but when I go to create a plane as described in the beginning I don't have height and width, i have length and width. I am using a trial version of 3dmax 2010.

http://www.ppmsite.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27714

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sorry, but this is no "how to work with 3dsmax" tutorial, but a "how to create cliffs tutorial"

For such a simple question you should first learn using 3dsmax by reading one of the thousand free tutorials.

Public SHPs

Tools

Nikademis Von Hisson
General

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:19 am    Post subject: cliff Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

well, it wasn't really how to use 3dmax question, i guess I should have asked if there was a difference between the setup with "menus" as they update new software. thanks Lin Kuei Ominae

http://www.ppmsite.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27714

DonutArnold
General

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's not dead, it's just... older than me... Very Happy

I'll finish this, but I don't know when...

DonutArnold
General

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Added few steps.

raminator
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

nice #Tongue

just a simple logo by bricks @ raminator, on Flickr

G-E
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I made use of the early TMP thingy to make these long ago...

I HATED the fact that you couldn't make symmetrical cliff areas in urban theater... like a racoon eating all my cheese.

To be honest, I couldn't quite figure out what to do with the grassy urban waterfall, so I actually had the crazy idea making an industrial dam instead, with berms or bumpers on the ledge...

Sadly life kicked my ass for a few years and my RA2 drive crashed, dashing my dreams.

What do you think?

waterfall-urban.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  237.37 KB
 Viewed:  22134 Time(s)

waterfall-urban.jpg

symmetry-tem.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  344.4 KB

symmetry-tem.jpg

symmetry-urban.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  331.4 KB

symmetry-urban.jpg

DonutArnold
General

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is excellent! Keep it up!

Oh and about the "Sticky" status of this topic, do you people consider it that important anymore? (I haven't even finished it and probably never will...)

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

When Sticky status is removed, it should definitely be moved into the Tutorials Vault forum.
If possible, Banshee should also upload all the images to PPM, so it doesn't get useless if one day photobucket is deleting all of them.

Public SHPs

Tools

hotrods20
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hasn't most of the images and such on Photobucket been removed anyways? I've seen a lot of messages about removed photos around here.

DonutArnold
General

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

After thinking it a while I won't keep it stickied, so it's now unstickied and moved. Also uploaded .zip that contains the tutorial images, so they won't get lost when photobucket decides to remove them.

Cliffs_tutorial images.zip
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Cliffs_tutorial images.zip
 Filesize:  462.29 KB
 Downloaded:  54 Time(s)

Blade
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You should update it for doing the same thing in blender to go with the blender templates.

HG_SCIPCION
Gauss Rifle Trooper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

One moment, DonutArnold using 3DsMax? o.O oh!

anyway, i'm not agree with this method, natural cliffs required more turbulence and lot of work with PS for make a correct piece.

I prefer make a long model for cut the pieces...

but nobody want make new terrain with 3d tools Sad

Good work DonutArnold Smile

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

Also Known As: banshee_revora (Steam)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This tutorial is so old that DonutArnold has been using Blender for several years already. I think this might be the main reason why this tutorial wasn't finished.

DonutArnold
General

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah, I used to use 3ds max for about 5 years, but then Blender caught my interest totally. Haven't since touched 3ds max.

However, I've made a few different cliffs (see attachment) in Blender, so I believe I can provide a tutorial for that at some point. Smile

cliff01_02x.png
 Description:
Arrakis Reborn cliff
 Filesize:  294.24 KB
 Viewed:  16799 Time(s)

cliff01_02x.png

BySc
Cyborg Artillery

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Bump..Looks awesome.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [37 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon