Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:03 am
All times are UTC + 0
YR: Black's Big Battle (2)
Moderators: Global Moderators, Red Alert 2 Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
MadHQ
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:14 pm    Post subject:  YR: Black's Big Battle (2) Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

YES!!! Another TW map! XP I just love playing on this map in KW. XP So I wanted to make it for YR...

This map has taken me longer then any other map I have made so far... at a crushing 150x150 its a huge 1vs1 map.

blacksbigbattle.PNG
 Description:
 Filesize:  37.29 KB
 Viewed:  5235 Time(s)

blacksbigbattle.PNG

blackbigbattle.rar
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  blackbigbattle.rar
 Filesize:  286.86 KB
 Downloaded:  1447 Time(s)

Biohazard
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

AWESOME I LOVE IT!
*downloaded*

Retired YR Player
Steam Account : MAS93
Xfire: msbiohazard

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Account AIM Address
ORCACommander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ya very big for 1v1 but if you want to have a few tank fights and ambushes for fun instead of going for the throat right away it will be great

EVA-251
General

Also Known As: evanb90

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A++ will buy again

Crash
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A few comments:

-Stop that symmetry please, most prefer asymmetric maps, or atleast partly asymmetric maps.
-Looks very flat on places where there are no slope sets.
-I like the LAT, could need more variation though.
-Balanced.
-Trees are placed unrealistically. They are spread out with almost the same distance between them, and many are in sand.
-Good work with the city.
-Lighting will wait till you get a screenie up.

Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Crashking, he's remaking TW maps, which are symmetric #Tongue
Still, nice map Wink

Dupl3xxx
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have noticed quite a few things:

Negative:
Grass and Sand is all over tha place, and I have yet to se a singel title of dark grass or a single tile of rough ground anywhere but in the city.
There is a lot of threes, they would just look better if you'd make many small forests insted of one three ever 10cell.
Bumpy ground gives more detail at a low cost! Order more!
The cliffs are very repetive: 32121,21122215
Thirty cells south east of player one...
Make more dirt-rodes more curvie

Positive:
The way the cliffs and ramps are made makes it hard to go straight forward, many zick zack paths.
Tha amount of ore makes it very balanced and entertaining for lang battles
The overall style of the city

Total evaluation:
This is a big map with a lot of work put in it, but is still looks and feels crap. Tha cliff layout is great, but is to repetive and there is close to no realism or randomness. Yes it's a remake, no a copy, wich means you are allowed some artistic freedom

Sorry for the rough treatment, but this is my hounest oppinion.

MadHQ
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

WOW... Confused TBH didn't think any one would really care about my maps...

I guess I should have stated that this maybe be like the 5th map I have finished... I hate mapping. And I'm not some one who takes pride in making... "good" maps. Rolling Eyes

Quote:
-Stop that symmetry please, most prefer asymmetric maps, or atleast partly asymmetric maps.

No, I happen to really like symmetry. I look at this as, This is a game not realistic. So symmetries ok. And I will NOT! make maps a certain way just because most people prefer asymmetric maps. And to TBH with you I think that's a pretty blind sided statement.

Quote:
-Looks very flat on places where there are no slope sets.

Well as I posted in my very 1st post this is a map from TW... SO!! I don't know if you have played TW, (Probably not) Those maps a rather flat. And I'm gonna be honest with you, I HATE the little bump/ramp things in RA2/TS, I think they just happen to look like shit. So I try to not use them.

Quote:
-Trees are placed unrealistically. They are spread out with almost the same distance between them, and many are in sand.

Whats wrong with trees being in the sand? Are you blind? Have you never seen a tree in sand... Confused

About the spacing... Well that just so happens to be the way I like them. In RTS games I think every thing is a scale factor, Like 1 tree = 10 trees, 1 units = 10 units. That's just what I think about it... Anyways TBH I didn't want to put trees on the map to begin with as the one in TW had no trees... Well just a few maybe...

Quote:
-Lighting will wait till you get a screenie up.

I wont be posting an ingame shot.

Quote:
Grass and Sand is all over tha place, and I have yet to se a singel title of dark grass or a single tile of rough ground anywhere but in the city.

Well this map was meant to be in the desert, BUT! In the YR desert temp there are no high bridges as far as I can see, So I went with temperate and decided to put sand all over the place to try to make it look a little more like it was a desert. I didn't want dark grass as it would have made it look a little more richer in life, and it was meant to be decayed. And as for the rough ground... I really only place that along the cliff edges... I really just don't like the way the tile looks out in the open... A little to squarish for me, So I just use them to detail the cliffs.

Quote:
Bumpy ground gives more detail at a low cost! Order more!

I would but those bumps look like shit... So I wont.

Quote:
The cliffs are very repetive: 32121,21122215

Are you serious... Confused I mean really!? You get 2-3 tiles per direction, And when your going one way with a cliff for a long distance you really only have a few options... I cant pull tile out of my ass... Rolling Eyes

Quote:
Make more dirt-rodes more curvie

You know that's actually a pretty stupid thought TBH... Think about it... What are there drunk drivers driving all over the place? I'm sorry I don't weave every were when I'm driving, I normally go straight, unless there some thing in my way then I move, So I look at that like that. Ya it may look nicer... A little... maybe... but I would rather not have drunk drivers all over my map.

DoMiNaNt_HuNtEr
General

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Instead of a city, it should be a military base or large construction/manufacturing site. Basically any site/place that is usually isolated from civillians.

The reason being that the roads would seem more realistic in one of the sites mentioned above, because the roads on the map just form blocks; they don't extend beyond the map. If they did, then it would seem more realistic, as roads are built to connect all local towns and cities and industrail areas together.

IN-GAME NAME: MAKINTOKE

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

People live in stupid places and besides, thats how it is in TW.

Team Black
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

downloaded. This looks very nice Very Happy

Tiberian Odyssey mapping department. Discord
The Team Black Index

xforever
Civilian

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Awesome! now add 4 more start positions and gems and turn it into black's bigger battle Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon