Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:17 pm
All times are UTC + 0
Devils Tongue
Moderators: Tiberian Odyssey Active Staff
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 2 of 3 [107 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
blubb
General

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

you're right, its a slightly longer box

Hydraw Art on Facebook

Orac
President

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Prove that there is another, better, less box-like design.

Oh, and it's slightly shorter #Tongue

blubb
General

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Orac wrote:
Prove that there is another, better, less box-like design.

Oh, and it's slightly shorter #Tongue

do you know imagination? there are so many shapes besides, a box

Hydraw Art on Facebook

Orac
President

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Show us some of that imagination you have there then, Blubb. I'd love to see a quick sketch of something better.
Actually, anyone who can come up with a better design is welcome to show me, I'll happily replace the Devils Tongue, Subterranean APC, and Sicarius less box like designs Smile

Other designs besides a box... Spherical? Trapezoidal? I could do one shaped like a pie! Maybe a a sort of Cylindrical one? With wheels all over it? Or a giant ant! A burrowing one!

Last edited by Orac on Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:43 am; edited 2 times in total

MT
General

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Orac! You're tempting me... Laughing

blubb
General

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i did once a concept for a subtank, but it got lost unfortunately, hyper is the only one who could have a backup of it afaik, but oh well, in the world wide web should be alot of tanks or concepts of video game designs of tanks.

Hydraw Art on Facebook

Orac
President

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

They run quite heavily to tank-ish shapes like... boxes.

blubb
General

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

oh my god, what is that? electricity? SORCERY ! BURN THE WITCH!

Hydraw Art on Facebook

Audiopulse
Railgun Soldier

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

that last one I didnt really get - and I got to agree with orac. Once the SHPs are ingame theyll probably all look more or less like boxes.

You mean voxels? ~Orac

yup, neptune size!

blubb
General

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

SHP's?

oh and that last one did go for sarcasm about how stupid people can play.

Hydraw Art on Facebook

Vefbl4
General

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

SHP>VXL.

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

vefbl4 wrote:
SHP>VXL.

No.

EVA-251
General

Also Known As: evanb90

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Crimsonum wrote:
vefbl4 wrote:
SHP>VXL.

No.

QFT

Audiopulse
Railgun Soldier

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah, right, I meant Voxels. 100% agree with Blubb there, btw. Teslacoils exist, you know. Some even reach the sizes of those seen in RA - the just cant shoot that far - would be possible tho if combined with taserlike mechanisms

yup, neptune size!

Arselona
Rocket Infantry

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Orac wrote:
Actually, anyone who can come up with a better design is welcome to show me, I'll happily replace the Devils Tongue, Subterranean APC, and Sicarius less box like designs

Fine then! #Tongue #Tongue #Tongue

Well no dont use these designs there kinda shit and from my old mod, the long one(APC) is actually the destroyer ship upside down and edited!

But no seriously the first thing that popped into my head when I saw this voxel was
blubb wrote:
batmobile

Like the two sides of the grinder look like the back two wheels of the batmobile, just make it look less like one

Cadillac is the other thing that popped into my head #Tongue

subs.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  64.7 KB
 Viewed:  13602 Time(s)

subs.png

Orac
President

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Interesting designs. I'll look into their feasibility/look ingame.

Machine
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I like that shaving machine Laughing, now it's going to be the SHAVING MACHINE OF DEATH, well it's way better than the shoebox #Tongue.

Orac
President

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Machine wrote:
I like that shaving machine Laughing, now it's going to be the SHAVING MACHINE OF DEATH, well it's way better than the shoebox #Tongue.

Yeah, when I looked at the shape ingame it did remind me of that. I don't know whether or not to take the design further, I don't like it as much as the Cadilac/Batmobile look, tbh.

blubb
General

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

and believe me orAC; its nothing personal, but if one really goes forward and says "i can only imagine boxes" it is really something...

Hydraw Art on Facebook

Vefbl4
General

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

well the right one may look interesting.

Audiopulse
Railgun Soldier

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think Oracs design is solid. That last post was not necessary.

yup, neptune size!

Vefbl4
General

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Agree.

Arselona
Rocket Infantry

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Audiopulse wrote:

Orac wrote:
Interesting designs. I'll look into their feasibility/look ingame.

Arselona wrote:
Dont use these designs there kinda shit and from my old mod

And besides the style doesnt suit this mods style, there two different stlyes.

Why I post the designs was because
Orac wrote:
Actually, anyone who can come up with a better design is welcome to show me, I'll happily replace the Devils Tongue, Subterranean APC, and Sicarius less box like designs.

For the fun. Im sure Orac wasnt expecting anyone to do that #Tongue and besides they were already made ages ago!

Now just because I dont like the batmobile stlye, well I didnt expect it to change! Rolling Eyes But I thought id give my opinion, like you Audiopulse.

Aro
Alcohol Fueled

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I like this guy.

Quote:

Not everyones opinion is the same, Mr. Pulse (I don't mind the design myself).

Audiopulse
Railgun Soldier

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You got something wrong - Blubb criticized Orac because of his statement that he couldnt imagine any other shape than a boxy one. First of all Orac sets his conditions differently - hes approaching the Devils Tongue in a more realistic way and tries to stay true to the Predecessors Style from Standart-TS which is one of the proclaimed goals of TO, by the way. Considering this hes quite right about the box - there is just no other (geometrical) shape youd stay true to the old design.

Even if I/we completely forgot about that - Orac has shown solid work in the past. That last post about him being only able to imagine boxes was exaggerated and untrue - hence my post.

Quote:
Now just because I dont like the batmobile stlye, well I didnt expect it to change! Rolling Eyes But I thought id give my opinion, like you Audiopulse.

I appreciate your Enthusiasm and the way you dont just post plain textbased posts but even add graphical suggestions - I wasnt really referring to your posts, though, nor did I compare them with Oracs.

yup, neptune size!

Arselona
Rocket Infantry

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Audiopulse wrote:
I wasnt really referring to your posts, though, nor did I compare them with Oracs.

My bad then

blubb
General

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

not even TS was true to its predecesssor, and i its simplicity even the normal shoebox had "something".

Hydraw Art on Facebook

EVA-251
General

Also Known As: evanb90

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Audiopulse wrote:
Teslacoils exist, you know. Some even reach the sizes of those seen in RA - the just cant shoot that far - would be possible tho if combined with taserlike mechanisms

None reach the monumental sizes of RA's, nor is the issue "range". (in the sense that electricity "fizzles" out or something)

The issue is that you cannot direct electricity to go in the direction you please. The electricity needs a path from the source to the target. A rather weak explanation that has been tossed around here and at APB forums (IIRC) is that the Coil uses an ionizing laser to create this path.

Tasers aren't remotely similar. A taser is basically a gun that fires 2 electrodes that are connected to the gun (the power supply) by wires. They pierce, allowing the gun to deliver an electric current directly to the target.

And then there is the whole thing about Tesla Coils slagging tanks.

Orac
President

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ionizing laser works, Electricity follows the path of least resistance, and a trail of Ions would do such.

Team Black
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Tiberian Odyssey mapping department. Discord
The Team Black Index

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
BTW Nice avvie Orac

I like the sig more, as the avatar is missing a Christmas hat #Tongue (put it on the eagle's head).

SMIFFGIG
General

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Like I said in the staff forum and should have really posted in this topic regarding the Devil's tongue
[quote="SMIFFGIG"]
Quote:
can't say im a fan of the devils tongue
i mean the voxel is nice but it kinda reminds of the the batmobile or something

I always picture subterranean units to be more industrial/practical and sorta dirty. Like heavy machinery but built for warfare...

However so as not to make this post a duplicate here is an idea that you might like

Assuming you are using a .exe hack (HyperPatch?) which has a whole range of new armour types to play with. It would be nice to give the devil's tongue (sub apc and other subterranean units too) a secondary weapon.
This secondary weapon could only target armour type 'GATE' for example.
The Primary cannot target the 'GATE' armour

This secondary will have a extremely close range and have lotsa nice spark particel effects Twisted Evil and basically destroys the gate really quickly using the front blades of the subterranean unit (just like in the FMV and something Gooch stated he wished was in the game)

On a side note, i think that gates should be MUCH stronger than they were in Vanilla TS and that most units should not be able to shoot over wall like they can in TS (but cannot in TD/RA/RA2)
Just an idea but could really add a nice bit of flavour to subterranean units and some new strategies

However this ability will be largerly redundant if gates are not massivly stronger than the weak and mainly useless gates in TS.

Oh and voxel section animations for subterranean unit blades would be nice Smile

gatf036.jpg
 Description:
Basically the idea described in one picture
 Filesize:  60.71 KB
 Viewed:  13405 Time(s)

gatf036.jpg

Pepzi
Plasma Trooper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

SMIFFGIG wrote:
Quote:
can't say im a fan of the devils tongue
i mean the voxel is nice but it kinda reminds of the the batmobile or something

I always picture subterranean units to be more industrial/practical and sorta dirty. Like heavy machinery but built for warfare...

However so as not to make this post a duplicate here is an idea that you might like

Assuming you are using a .exe hack (HyperPatch?) which has a whole range of new armour types to play with. It would be nice to give the devil's tongue (sub apc and other subterranean units too) a secondary weapon.
This secondary weapon could only target armour type 'GATE' for example.
The Primary cannot target the 'GATE' armour

This secondary will have a extremely close range and have lotsa nice spark particel effects Twisted Evil and basically destroys the gate really quickly using the front blades of the subterranean unit (just like in the FMV and something Gooch stated he wished was in the game)

On a side note, i think that gates should be MUCH stronger than they were in Vanilla TS and that most units should not be able to shoot over wall like they can in TS (but cannot in TD/RA/RA2)
Just an idea but could really add a nice bit of flavour to subterranean units and some new strategies

However this ability will be largerly redundant if gates are not massivly stronger than the weak and mainly useless gates in TS.

Oh and voxel section animations for subterranean unit blades would be nice Smile

*Two Thumbs Up*

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Besides, it would be odd to see the tank use flamethrowers against a concrete gate

Machine
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Consider that the sub apc doesn't have any weapon, so you could already give it a massive drill weapon. I was planning to give the sub apc on RoO, a grinder attack animation, since it was going to be a shp, but haven't tested how shp subterranean vehicles look, yet.

However if you give it a weapon that can destroy concrete buildings it would be weird, since then you would have to explain why you can't go underground when you're over concrete.

Audiopulse
Railgun Soldier

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The Idea is neat - and would look pretty awesome. Sadly - machine is right. That would be an quite obvious flaw in logics. There might be some gorey ways for DTs with Infantry tho.

The Idea of having something in the looks of some sort of heavy-industrial machinery in a brownish/rusty look with some big pipes on the back ... interesting. The DT should be a Highend-unit anyways - crowds of them woudl be a pain to manage (Imagine one blowing up...)

yup, neptune size!

SMIFFGIG
General

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Machine wrote:
However if you give it a weapon that can destroy concrete buildings it would be weird, since then you would have to explain why you can't go underground when you're over concrete.

I always assumed the gates were metal ?

Machine
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I was thinking walls, and the armor class concrete.

Orac
President

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Me too. It'd be fun for the DTs to attack gates differently to infantry or other buildings, just to make them more interesting.

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Why should the DT drive through a gate when it can dive under it. Wink

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

SMIFFGIG
General

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Lin Kuei Ominae wrote:
Why should the DT drive through a gate when it can dive under it. Wink

To quickly allow the rest of your troops into the base ? Smile

Orac
President

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It seems that I never showed off the alternate Devil's Tongue. Anyway, here it is. It isn't great, imo, but it is different - which iirc is what you all wanted.
Obviously, the remap is slightly too copious on the edges, but if I ever decide to continue it further I expect that the red lines will be toned down. If I don't continue on it, I'll most probably release it.

DTbrothers.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  111.71 KB
 Viewed:  13089 Time(s)

DTbrothers.png

blubb
General

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thats a lot better <3

Hydraw Art on Facebook

Vefbl4
General

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

How about leaving those two ingame?

I like them both.

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
thats a lot better <3

I have to disagree. What is it even, a flame trike?

Orac
President

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

all of the DTs are facing outwards, and the alternative DT has no visible conventional wheels or tracks - however there are some small grinder wheels mounted on the tail and back...

Aro
Alcohol Fueled

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Crimsonum wrote:
Quote:
thats a lot better <3

I have to disagree. What is it even, a flame trike?

Blubb just likes something different from the typical boxy subterannean units, even if it looks like a spider or a tricicle. I don't like the new design either, It looked better before in my opinion.

Orac
President

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, good news for you Aro. That isn't the 'new' design, but rather na alternative design.
Right now, unless someone comes up with a very clever reason not to, I intend to release this to what ever public might want it #Tongue
01010111011001010110110001101100001000000110111001101111011101110010110000100000011101000110100001100001011101000010000001110111011000010111001100100000011000010010000001110111011000010111001101110100011001010010000001101111011001100010000001110100011010010110110101100101001011000010000001110111011000010111001101101110001001110111010000100000011010010111010000111111000011010000101001010111011010000110000101110100001000000110010001101001011001000010000001111001011011110111010100100000011001010111100001110000011001010110001101110100001011000010000001110100011010000110010100100000011000010110111001110011011101110110010101110010001000000111010001101111001000000110110001101001011001100110010100100000011010010111010001110011011001010110110001100110001111110010000000100000010011100110000101111001001011000010000001100001011011000110110000100000011110010110111101

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think you made the back sections way too small.

Pepzi
Plasma Trooper

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The Devil's Tongue must look monstrous, so basically that "Trike" is not to my fancy.

And what's wrong with this forum? Why is the page all widened up?

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 2 of 3 [107 Posts] Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon