Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:25 pm
All times are UTC + 0
SC II Split into 3 Different Games
Moderators: Global Moderators, Offtopic Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 2 [52 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Machine
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:29 am    Post subject:  SC II Split into 3 Different Games Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Blizzard today announced that StarCraft II will be released as a trilogy of separate games, each concentrating on one of the universe's three factions.

The first game in the trilogy will consist of the Terran campaign, and is set to be titled "Terrans: Wings of Liberty."

The second Zerg-focused title will be "Zerg: Heart of the Swarm," with the third game being "Protoss: Legacy of the Void."
"[The second and third games] will be like expansion packs, but we really want them to feel like standalone products," said Blizzard's Rob Pardo.

Each campaign will be very different, with Pardo announcing the Zerg campaign will contain RPG elements. The Protoss campaigin will likewise be differentiated by elements of diplomacy. In addition, the Terran campaign will feature a Protoss mini-campaign.

The campaigns are planned as concentrated, epic storylines, with enough content to justify a full release. As a result, the games will now feature more in-game cinematics and story content.

Blizzard added that the plans for the multiplayer component are unchanged by the splitting of the campaigns. However, some units will now be unique to the campaigns and will not be playable in multiplayer.

Pardo noted that the decision was necessary to maintain the quality of the product, the alternatives either being a long delay of the game, or a scaling back of the campaigns.

More details may become available during BlizzCon, which continues through this weekend.

Well IMO I don't know what to say, well at least this means that the single player campaign will be great.

EDIT:
Some new cinematics
http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/55266

Ixonoclast
General

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, I can't whine about Blizzard taking my money, because I already decided I was going to torrent it.

I already paid for BoringBalanceCraft once, no need to buy it again... but now in 3d.

At least you don't have to buy gamecards for playing singleplayer.

gufu
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hahaha, oh wow...

Seriously, what?!

Machine
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well IMO SC II is looking good (plus it seems it's going to have an unique single player experience), and I love SC I; but I don't really think I would want to pay for three different games to just know the story of one game Confused.

DaFool
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Lol, they are pushing things back again?

Atleast you can play EA's games.

Machine
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Probably forward, as they won't need to finish the zerg campaign and the protoss campaign to release the first game (the terran campaign), as AFAIK it was mainly the campaign (specially the movies) what was delaying SC II.

Team SomeGuy
General

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Phobonaut wrote:
Well, I can't whine about Blizzard taking my money, because I already decided I was going to torrent it.

I already paid for BoringBalanceCraft once, no need to buy it again... but now in 3d.

You are the worst kind of pirating scum.

Torrenting GOOD games?!?!?!? You piece of shit!

gufu
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So... Blizard joins the episodic gaming bandwagon of doom and ponies?

DaFool
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

All games should be distributed equally!

For the release date, all I know is that c&c3 and sc2 were announced roughly the same time. And EA has already released c&c3, kw, and they are like 2 weeks from red alert 3. I'm not the biggest fan, but yeah, I'd buy it. I just don't want to wait for stuff. EA fills my new game every 6 months addiction.

Ixonoclast
General

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Team SomeGuy wrote:
Phobonaut wrote:

You are the worst kind of pirating scum.

Blizzard? Good games?
Blizzard stopped making good rts'es after they made WC2. "WHEN MY WORK IS FINISHED, I'M COMING BACK FOR YOU!" "Stop shaking the boat!"

Ambience > balance

If I want a balanced game, I play chess.

Lt Albrecht
Defense Minister

Location: Hampshire, England. Creating RA2: Moscow's vengeance

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

They're doing this to games a lot these days, splitting them up and such. Although none of you will know (or probably care) Fireglow did this to Sudden Strike 3. The first part is called Arms for victory and I have it, but I'll be damned if I'm buying a new game just to get the Winter campaigns... The same kind of thing applies here, I know it looks like they're trying to get a game out to make people happy but there's gonna be some ideas of money in the heads of the bosses...

DaFool
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hale Life 2...

Lt Albrecht
Defense Minister

Location: Hampshire, England. Creating RA2: Moscow's vengeance

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ep 1
Ep 2
Ep 445736 beta 4.0

Everyone's doing it to make more money from one game...

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well I might have understood releasing all 3 at once, so people could choose their favourite faction etc...

Either way, I wasnt gonna buy it.

gufu
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey, I am waiting for a super,mega,orange box of doom - 7 games with cost of 50 dollars. :p

IcySon55
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Team SomeGuy wrote:

LOL!
Phobonaut wrote:
Blizzard? Good games?
Blizzard stopped making good rts'es after they made WC2.
Ambience > balance

QFT

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Skype Account
Nyerguds
General

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

All Blizzard games since WC2 have had episodic storylines, anyway.

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

Also Known As: banshee_revora (Steam)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

To be honest, I'll probably buy the first one. If I like it and I have enough free time to play the zerg campaign, then I'll buy the second one and so on... I just hope the second and third campaigns get the price of expansion packs (usually about half of the price of the original game). Other than that, it will certainly suck a lot of hard disk space and money due to this structure. But many games already do this kind of thing (Age Of Empires III, Heroes of Might and Magic V, etc) and I've bought many of them already.

DaFool
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The one things that bugs me about campaigns are that they are like extended scenarios for teaching you the units of the game.

Level 1: "Tech Level 1 infantry!" You can only build Conscrits this mission, so have fun with that!

Now imagine that 90 odd times. This is part of the reason I really like expansion pack campaigns because you start half way through the units, rather than going through them 1 at a time.

Which reminds me, wouldn't rather have an extended tutorials that goes through all the units instead?

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well I can imagine the Terrans mini Protoss campaign might be the tutorial. A prologue campaign teaching you how to play like they did in WC3...

Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I ain't a SC fan, so I CBA with this news, except saying that EA ain't the only one who want to get more money out of their games by splitting it up #Tongue

DoMiNaNt_HuNtEr
General

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DaFool wrote:
The one things that bugs me about campaigns are that they are like extended scenarios for teaching you the units of the game.

Blizzard stated they wanted to deviate from that; the campaign wont simply be a tutorial for multiplayer. Singleplayer & multiplayer will be quite different. The campaign will be long too, with 30 missions, all supposedly intense....

IN-GAME NAME: MAKINTOKE

Jagdsherman
Disk Thrower

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Lt Albrecht wrote:
Ep 1
Ep 2
Ep 445736 beta 4.0

XD overkill.

Sir Modsalot
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

[quote="DCoder"]There is no sanity left in this thread.[/quote]

Jagdsherman
Disk Thrower

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sir Modsalot wrote:

Looking pretty good. You'll notice that they've added civilian vehicles to the environment.

I also heard you'll be able to do anything with the mod editor. They also said that they will throw all of their unused Alpha/Beta Assets with the mod editor. Cant wait to get my hands on it.

Team SomeGuy
General

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The map editor will be able to do effectively anything Blizzard did. Cinematics, balance, new stuff/graphics, the whole nine yards.

Or the quote the Blizzard community guy Karune:

" 'Can the map editor-' Yes it can"

Machine
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

They also said that each of the "separate games" will include different units in the campaigns, probably for subfactions and things like that, like how you were able to play as blood elves in The Frozen Throne.
Also the "mod editor", will come packed with the game, though as far as it seems it's just going to be a more powerful version of WC III's world builder (which is quite potent already). However I don't know if you will be able to make proper mods with it, or just "map-mods".

And BTW nice screens, haven't seen those. Very Happy

Jagdsherman
Disk Thrower

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Machine wrote:
They also said that each of the "separate games" will include different units in the campaigns, probably for subfactions and things like that, like how you were able to play as blood elves in The Frozen Throne.
Also the "mod editor", will come packed with the game, though as far as it seems it's just going to be a more powerful version of WC III's world builder (which is quite potent already). However I don't know if you will be able to make proper mods with it, or just "map-mods".

And BTW nice screens, haven't seen those. Very Happy

You'll be able to make proper mods but the settings can also be stored in the map files internally, so you won't need to download separate mod files.

Suppose you want to bring back an unused unit like the medic. Then you would do the necessary changes (add it to the barrack build list). You can then save the setting for this in your map file internally. If your playing online the other players will only have to download the modified map file and thats all.

You can also create your own custom race with any unit & any structure combination and save these settings in the map files internally.

I believe it will be like this.

DaFool
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The first starcraft map maker kinda sucked. I was never into Warcraft enough to become a serious map maker (I'm not into it the same reason so many are-magical shit. Zombies I like, "undead" are losing me, elves, you've gone too far). From all the map makers I've ever used, I personally like Final Alert 2 the best (except with handling cliffs, but the trigger system is excellent). Final Alert 2 can handle everything this proposed map maker can do (atleast it can hypothetically handle the INI, but hey, you could always open the map with notepad).

Depending on when this game comes out, I'm most likely not going to get it. In fact, this is probably gonna be the last year I really play games.

Machine
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well the map editor for WC III is way more powerful than any SC map editor. There's even a first person shooter map-mod for it, and then there's also the third person (mariokart style) racing map that came with the game (can't remember if it was in the expack, or in a patch).

Ickus
General

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yea, I wish the SC map editor could do what the WC3 map editor can do. :p

I would so love that...although there are some alternate map editors out there...but its a goood damn been a while since I made maps and missions for SC.

DoMiNaNt_HuNtEr
General

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ickus wrote:
yea, I wish the SC map editor could do what the WC3 map editor can do. :p

It's gonna destroy the WC3 Editor. Your wish will come true.

Ickus
General

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yea, I am pretty sure the SC2, will do that. one can imagine.

Ixonoclast
General

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So I watched a trailer of the Terran cinematic...

Blizzard did it, I want to play it... :/

BUT I AIN'T PAYIN' YOU MONEYMONGLING ACCURSED HELLSPAWN!

IcySon55
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Phobonaut wrote:

You realize the only reason Blizzard made World of Warcraft was so that they could accumulate enough money to make Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3 seriously epic games...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Skype Account
Suiseiseki
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

IcySon55 wrote:
Phobonaut wrote:

You realize the only reason Blizzard made World of Warcraft was so that they could accumulate money

Fixed that for ya.

IcySon55
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Suiseiseki wrote:
Fixed that for ya.

T___T

gufu
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Suiseki:2 IcySon:0
Round one over.

Anyway, am I the only who sees Blizzard becoming more... Korean? I mean, they lost their feel like european company, they still have those parts in their game, but it seems that they just want to control the entire south/east asia by their games.

I dunno, maybe that is just the way they are original.

Team SomeGuy
General

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blizzard != European company. Vivendi is.

Activision Blizzard like Blizzard proper is US based.

DaFool
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Starcraft sold more copies to a country of 40 million than it did to a country of 300 million. So with your next game, who would you direct it at?

gufu
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DaFool wrote:
Starcraft sold more copies to a country of 40 million than it did to a country of 300 million. So with your next game, who would you direct it at?

The entire world? Because you know, it will buy more games than jsut one country.

Machine
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well it seems that they're considering to make a neutral accented Spanish translation; if the replies of their representatives can be considered an indication of it.
SC I translation has a heavy Spanish(in relation to the country) accent Laughing, and it's not a good one too: Well still better than WC 2 translation. The worse translation I've ever seen, every unit, including females, seems to have been translated by the same guy, in a passive voice with a marked accent.

I think than that is already and indication that they're aiming for a wider market.

DaFool
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Spanish class was never my fancy, I prefered latin.

"Hola, me llamo Zergo"

!New mexican dish!, the zerglingitto!

DoMiNaNt_HuNtEr
General

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

CE PASSO EEEHHH????

gufu
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I just hope that maps won't be huge and won't take too long to move about.

Ixonoclast
General

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I do hope the maps will be huge.

No more rushing. No more boring fast battles.

I want long epic combat. Hence why I play TS 1vs1 on 8-player maps.

gufu
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I was tlking about size, KB wise. I'd like to make a large map, without the need to wait 30 minutes to givve it to others.

Ixonoclast
General

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Maybe they can make a system like in Spore.

The DRM may suck or whatever it's called, but the creature exchange concept was ztype.ING. BRI.LIANT.

gufu
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh god, no. >_>
I don't want to be spammed by "Defend to get pr0n" maps.

DaFool
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thats what google is for.

red alert 3 is the fastest loading game I have ever seen. anyone who played the beta can attest to this. It's probably some kind of file type they switched to, so maybe this is an industry standard now? Or maybe it was because the beta didn't have all the game's data yet....

Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace! 

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum