Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:30 am
All times are UTC + 0
Voxels
Moderators: Gangster
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [31 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Tartan Bunny
Flamethrower

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:21 am    Post subject:  Voxels
Subject description: Some Nod voxels I have been working on for sandbox...
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Using lots of renders from Reborn and Westwood, I pixel painted 2 versions of the tick tank:

Comments please!

azri_apoc
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

design looks good, it just look plain.

Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Small barrel is small. Make it bigger. Also, and ingame could be nice Wink

areaSZ
Scorpion Sniper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

that 2 barrels are asymmetry try making the scale defferent

Vefbl4
General

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

How does it look ingame?

DonutArnold
General

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't care how does it look like in vxl viewer. In-game view is the one that decides.

MT
General

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It seems to have too much remap, although its hard to tell without ingames.

Gangster
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

well Tartan it seems people want in-game Very Happy

And thanks for you initiative.. keep it up, mate!

Tartan Bunny
Flamethrower

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

MT wrote:
It seems to have too much remap, although its hard to tell without ingames.

I don't like too much remap either, but the voxel was based wholly off a render; which had alot of remap/red.

I seem to be having trouble with the shape of the barrels, big or small, they don't look right ingame.

Here are the ingames and the renders they are based on

217_1054683676.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  44.2 KB
 Viewed:  16791 Time(s)

217_1054683676.jpg

217_1054683500.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  9.58 KB
 Viewed:  16791 Time(s)

217_1054683500.jpg

ingame_03.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  7.9 KB
 Viewed:  16792 Time(s)

ingame_03.gif

ingame_02.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  26.23 KB

ingame_02.gif

ingame_01.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  13.09 KB

ingame_01.gif

Starkiller
Pyro Sniper

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey it actually looks quite nice you just need to shape it like the one in the pic Smile

Orac
President

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It isn't very defined, unless 'beta' style units are the aim. Nice shape, but I can't make out the detail on it ingame.

Tartan Bunny
Flamethrower

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Orac wrote:
It isn't very defined, unless 'beta' style units are the aim. Nice shape, but I can't make out the detail on it ingame.

I know. I am trying to make the cannons more distinguishable, without them seem out of place. Any ideas?

ingame_04.jpg
 Description:
working on the barrels...
 Filesize:  11.44 KB
 Viewed:  16764 Time(s)

ingame_04.jpg

ingame_05.jpg
 Description:
devil's tongue
 Filesize:  10.66 KB

ingame_05.jpg

ingame_06.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  9.01 KB

ingame_06.jpg

Aro
Alcohol Fueled

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I Agree that the shape is excellent, you just need to give your voxels some form of texture so they don't look so plain in-game. (Also, since when could you voxel? #Tongue)

Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's too dark, that is my main point of criticism Wink

Starkiller
Pyro Sniper

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

About the cannon looking more obvious, maybe you could change the cannon's color(not recommended) or raise it higher a little. Smile

MT
General

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

JPG burns mah eyes. Please, don't use such high compression, or use PNG...

Starkiller
Pyro Sniper

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

MT wrote:
JPG burns mah eyes. Please, don't use such high compression, or use PNG...

Ahhh! my eyes!
Btw, maybe you can move the whole turret a bit foward to make the cannon more obvious. #Tongue

Lt Albrecht
Defense Minister

Location: Hampshire, England. Creating RA2: Moscow's vengeance

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

lighten the body by 2 or 3 shades, keep the barrels the same and lighten the turret by 1 shade

Tartan Bunny
Flamethrower

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Lt Albrecht wrote:
lighten the body by 2 or 3 shades, keep the barrels the same and lighten the turret by 1 shade

OK, here is the result

And what do you think of the flame tank?

ingame_07.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  59.73 KB
 Viewed:  16646 Time(s)

ingame_07.png

Destiny
President

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Pretty smexy, yea...though there are like..."sections" on the red "armor" O.o

Orac
President

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The first time that I played TS I played as GDI. My base was steam-rolled by Devil's Tongues. When I played as Nod, the Devil's Tongues made my penis feel bigger.
Those flame-tanks there don't have the feeling of extreme power or horrifying destructive capabilities. They just aren't big enough.
But I do like the two flamethrowers on the sides. Looks better than TS' in that way.

EDIT: Grammar, Spelling, Dyslexia, hitting the keyboard with my knee.

Ixonoclast
General

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The first time I played GDI I turtled with shitloads of concrete and the Flame Tanks didn't even survive for 1 minute.

BUT ztype GODDAMN I HATE IT WHEN THE AI SENDS THEM AFTER INFANTRY TEAMS OUT IN THE OPEN

Tartan Bunny
Flamethrower

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Orac wrote:

The first time that I played TS I played as GDI. My base was steam-rolled by Devil's Tongues. When I played as Nod, the Devil's Tongues made my penis feel bigger.
Those flame-tanks there don't have the feeling of extreme power or horrifying destructive capabilities. They just aren't big enough.
But I do like the two flamethrowers on the sides. Looks better than TS' in that way.

Laughing That's funny.

I kinda understand what you mean, but I was trying to make the voxels realistic, in proportion and good-looking at the same time. I'll resize it, but probably not much.
Any suggestion to make them make you feel like you have a big penis? *snigger*

Destiny
President

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Longer? #Tongue

Roaches
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Shape is good, what you need is some gradient shades, some noise on the track weels (if they show from the bottom of the armor skirts) and normals could be manually smoothed to get rid of the "Stair effect" out of the voxel angled shapes. Smile

Quote:
Everybody knows a mod that doesn't update every ten seconds is dead.

Orac
President

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The flame tank is quite detailed, but I can't entirely make out some of it - probably because its both dark and .jpg, but as a unit it actually looks good (a little small though). But I'm thinking first and foremost of TS' Flame tank, then of RA2 sizes, and finally of the Devil's tongue's FMV cousin. So maybe I'm prejudging the concept, maybe the Devil's Tongue is meant to be small.
(In fact, the more I think about it, the better this looks. If you weren't working from the concepts so much I would say 'Leave it as is, just make it sleeker and sharper. And then don't use .jpg.')

Tartan Bunny
Flamethrower

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Roaches wrote:
Shape is good, what you need is some gradient shades, some noise on the track weels (if they show from the bottom of the armor skirts) and normals could be manually smoothed to get rid of the "Stair effect" out of the voxel angled shapes. Smile

I am shit at normals (don't have the patience!), but I will attempt to resolve that problem.

Orac wrote:
The flame tank is quite detailed, but I can't entirely make out some of it - probably because its both dark and .jpg,

I probably need to make it more contrasting. And unfortunately the size and img does obscure the detail. I think if you actually play with it ingame you'll see more.

Here are the renders compared to the voxels:

As you can see, the renders are not very contrasting, so making good voxels from them is a tad harder. But I definitely change the colours a bit.

IceDragon200
Shrapnel Sniper

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Auto Normal it then geeze how hard is it to use vxlseIII to do that.
Anyway its good except the fact that you haven't posted an ingame.
Can't criticize until I see it.
EDIT: Oh I see it sorry about that. It is a bit too dark though.

I'm very inactive here at PPM...
Got other things doing....

Roaches
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Tartan Bunny wrote:

I am shit at normals (don't have the patience!), but I will attempt to resolve that problem.

Arf.... you didn't get my point >.< . Even if you did use AutoNormals, you can still easily manually smooth the angled shapes to get rid of the "Stair effect" that way it looks more smooth and sleek. Give it a try and you'll see...

All it takes is using the "color select tool" to select the surface normals and and manaully smooth the retarded looking normals on the angled shapes and poof, you got a better looking voxel.

if you are using RA2 normals, then use TS autonormals and manaully smooth from there.... also keep your eyes on the normals reflection to prevent yourself from using wrong normals values as the better the reflection looks in VXLSE, the better the normals gets ingame.

see the gif animations below on how I was able to achieve pefect normals by manually smoothing after using autonormals....and the results look good ingame, see this for example

And for those who say Manually applying normals is hard are people that are just talking out of their ass or is just plain lazy. Its better to try than never. Wink, This Voxel below me took less than 1 hour to manually normalize.

EDIT: extra text, grammar

Normals layer.png
 Description:
Make sure the normals are two layers thick to prevent black holes from appearing ingame.
 Filesize:  3.85 KB
 Viewed:  16443 Time(s)

Normals layer.png

F18_TS autonormals.gif
 Description:
Noticed that I used autonormals 1.1 in VXLSE III and look at the curved/angled normals give the nasty "stair effect"
 Filesize:  577.32 KB

F18_TS autonormals.gif

F18_TS perfect normals.gif
 Description:
After I manually smooth the voxel I was able to achieve pefect normals, the reflection look good enough to the eyes.
 Filesize:  517.38 KB

F18_TS perfect normals.gif

Quote:
Everybody knows a mod that doesn't update every ten seconds is dead.

Last edited by Roaches on Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:22 am; edited 1 time in total

Destiny
President

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

In my eyes...I think that Hornet just hijacked the topic. *Drool* I wonder if he's figured out the Hornet and the E/F's my fav aircraft...bah, if they read this I just busted myself.

Also, I suggest that the red be a bit more...brighter. Something along the lines of Scarlet might do.

Tartan Bunny
Flamethrower

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

@ Roaches Thank you very much for that very constructive critisim and help. I've messed around a bit with the manually smoothing so gimme a few days then I'll post it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [31 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon