Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:24 am
All times are UTC + 0
Questions to the Team.
Moderators: Tiberian Odyssey Active Staff
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 6 [276 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Next
Morpher
General

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 1:10 pm    Post subject:  Questions to the Team. Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I wanted to revive this thread as the old one was full of a lot of spam and unnecessary stuff, so rather than clean the entire thread I decided to make a new one. Feel free to ask us any questions you have regarding Tiberian Odyssey here and we'll try our best to answer your questions Wink.

Vefbl4
General

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

When will this mod will be released?

!DarkRose
Commander

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

>_< Ill say it for TO . . .

It will be released when its finished.

Silly taco fumbling unicorns nocturnally launch basketballs, Hell March.

Joshy
Schwing!

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Concerning gameplay, what are the major differences in gameplay that you guys have planned, or already have implemented? IE - AI tactics, layouts of maps, special objects in maps, etc.

Another question, how are the game-mode maps? Do they work pretty well?

Are there any new maps? I love seeing maps from you guys. Smile

Audiopulse
Railgun Soldier

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There are loads of maps already - you shouldve noticed Wink

Well, regarding the gamemodes Id have to ask myself, to be honest Very Happy
But for the major changes I can tell you that there will be plenty. First off all TO is aimed to feel way more realistic than Vanilla TS did - we also strive to eliminate any non-use-units. Just think of the Wolverine in TS - who would even build that unit in Skirmish or later campaignmissions? It served well against infantry - but you nearly never got any infants to see Wink
That leads us to just the next thing: Infantry will be different. On the one hand they will be kept cheap but gain more efficience. I didnt say "They get stronger" as we did not just raise their Dmg-points, no, instead wed like to apply something like the stone-paper-scissor-principle. So take care if you see some Bazooka-men - they could tear your darn expensive tanks apart, which, in turn, are quite helpfull against light vehicles that in turn shred those bazookamen with ease. You see - no spamfest anymore - if everything works as planned, youll actually have to use strategy.

Well - thats just a small change, compared to everything else that weve planned though Wink

yup, neptune size!

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Have you considered how much environment should affect gameplay? I'd like to see burning trees actually setting infantry on fire, different terrain affecting the speeds of units and that way forcing the player to adjust his/her tactics, and so forth?

Joshy
Schwing!

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
There are loads of maps already - you shouldve noticed

Aye, just hoping there were some new one's. Very Happy (Yay maps!)

Quote:
But for the major changes I can tell you that there will be plenty. First off all TO is aimed to feel way more realistic than Vanilla TS did - we also strive...

-Shortened for sake of the thread-

Very cool. I like the idea of actually adding some true strategy to the game. Smile I like the roles how they are like rock, paper, scissors.

Quote:
Well - thats just a small change, compared to everything else that weve planned though

Cool. Very Happy

I wanted to say something regarding the Nod powerplant, but I don't know if you guys have made a post about it.

Morpher
General

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Some good questions there so I'll say a few things.

Game play will be different and improved from standard TS, as Audio said we want strategy to be encouraged over unit quantity, however we will not over-do this to the point certain units become instantly killable or over powered, some unrealisticness will have to remain to keep the game balanced and also fun.

When it comes to A.I. I plan to rebuild the A.I. from the ground up. No longer will you have spend half your time fending off a stray light infantry that trundles across the map towards you. The A.I. will use proper scout parties when searching for their enemies with A.P.C's and small platoons. We have tried to emphasize each individual units role in this game as much as possible, so units roles such as the hit and run Hyena RAB bikes will be targeting your harvesters whilst Orca Fighters target your heavy task forces. The A.I. can really make the game what it is, so I'll focus on it very strongly.

Environment is what TO really was meant to be about from the beginning. Expanding upon the Tiberian world and making it more interesting and interactive to the player. We've really gone into detail (You shall all see soon Wink) on how the world and universe of TO works, and we want to make this noticeable in gameplay. To be more specific, trees catch fire, and because the fire animations in TO deal damage, yes they can burn and in some cases set fire to your soldiers. A forest of burning trees is a massive area of damage being dealt, so you wouldn't send your troops through it.

Additionally, yes, units will be heavily affected by environment types. We already have made use of the Track, Wheel and etc logic that exists in TS. By default in TS all units shared a similar movement type, but now you will notice tanks can climb up slopes better than a wheeled unit and other similar things. Tracked vehicles will be noticeably better on rougher surfaces to. This can make the use of hover or flying units seem more attractive to the player. Also, for balancing and realism, the Subterranean units can only dig and surface on ground which is not rocky or rough like before.

Titan
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Joshy wrote:
Concerning gameplay, what are the major differences in gameplay that you guys have planned, or already have implemented? IE - AI tactics, layouts of maps, special objects in maps, etc.

Another question, how are the game-mode maps? Do they work pretty well?

Are there any new maps? I love seeing maps from you guys. Smile

Cool, questions. Very Happy

Well, the idea behind map objects is pretty simple, things for the players to fight over. The special objects on the map are as follows atm: Hospital, Cabal Core, Cabal PP, Pyramid of Nod, Forgotten HQ, Sensor Array and perhaps a few others I didn't think of. The hospital heals nearby infantry (perhaps it will allow a Nod player to build medics? I dunno). The Cabal Core gives you access to Cabal units and the Cabal PP is heavily armoured and works like a normal PP. The Pyramid of Nod gives you access to several Eclipse units of the Black Hand such as the Banshee Eclipse, Eclipse stealth tank, and the eclipse versions of the buggy/bike. The Forgotten HQ allows you to recruit the Mutant Hijacker, Ghost Stalker and perhaps some other mutant forces. The Sensor Array basically has a huge sensor and sight range. It's all pretty simple, really, but it works.

TO Gameplay differs from TS in that it works better with fog of war turned on for example. Units have specific speeds for different terrain types, so you may want to avoid using too many wheeled vehicles on desert maps (wheels get stuck in sand). Different sight and weapon ranges (or the difference between them on a single unit) will also be important. We've been thinking about throwing the TS balance around a bit to curb rushes and other gameplay issues. Suffice it to say that it's nothing like TS.

Naval units are a very big part of the game because they are practically the powerhouses of every side. You can only put so much firepower in a single tank, but a naval unit has far greater capibilities. The GDI navy will be slower than the Nod navy because GDI doesn't have as much knowledge about the Tiberium algae that now infest pretty much 80% of the world's open bodies of water and navigating them.

We haven't done much regarding the AI yet, afaik. The main idea is to make it less stupid and let it properly select its teams instead of just sending a group of 3 tanks every 5 minutes, but because TS AI scripting is very limited, you can only really tell the AI what to send, and when, not where or how. Also, the "when" part is restricted to a few events.

There's a freaking crapload of TO maps, you've only seen like a small percentage of them, so don't worry. I stopped mapping because I myself have already produced like 18 (Yes, 18) maps for TO, although not all have been put in yet I guess... The ever changing graphics make for difficulties when updating maps. I absolutely HATE taking screenshots of maps and I especially hate making those really big map-size previews... When you change something, it's not reflected in the map topic's pictures, meaning we'll have to do it all over again, guuuaaaaaarrrghhh... #Tongue

Joshy
Schwing!

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I see, thanks for the explanations you guys Very Happy

It's a shame the hospital logic don't work like the one in YR. Neutral

I like how the enviroment does play a large role in your units, and helping decide how you should attack an enemy. Also, the navy sounds like it plays a big role in TO! Very Happy

And that many maps? Wow, impressive. Can't wait for more updates from you guys. Razz

Are you planning on keeping the snow theatre? If so, what differences will be in the new snow theatre from the TS one? If not, what's it going to be? Smile

Are other theatres planned possibly? It would require hacks, but yeah. Speaking of hacks, is 32 facings planned?

Morpher
General

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah we do have a snow theatre, in fact we have a brand new one we haven't shown yet, I'm not sure if it's 100% finished though I really liked it, we'll see. The snow theatre will differ in gameplay as Tiberium grows much slower there and is not as abundant as it is in the temperate zones, so you'll have to be guarding your resources much more carefully. Though don't worry you won't be drained of credits completely, just be careful with what you purchase, and remember, wheels might not be that useful in the snow #Tongue, so it can affect gameplay quite a bit.

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wheeled units should not only have drawbacks. In fact, they should move faster downhill, pavement and on paved roads than tracked vehicles.

Morpher
General

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

They move faster on the pavement, because most wheeled units are generally lighter and faster than the tracked ones, Raven Buggy, Hyena R.A.B. for example.

Titan
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

In general, all wheeled units are fast, especially the buggy and the bike, so I'd say that's a good enough advantage.

Joshy
Schwing!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Obviously I can see TO coming with its own exe... However, I was wondering if TO will also include its own language.dll file.

Lt Albrecht
Defense Minister

Location: Hampshire, England. Creating RA2: Moscow's vengeance

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm wondering how many centuries it'll be til TO, you guys are starting to sound like the modding equivalent of jews "the messiah will come, the messiah will come, no jesus was not him, the messiah will come"
"A release will come, a release will come, no the leak was not the release, a release will come"

Aro
Alcohol Fueled

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You, like many people Albrecht should know the amount of work required for a full release, it takes time sometimes it can take a longer time than what has been planned, unfortunately.

Audiopulse
Railgun Soldier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, what else should I say then "Yup, takes helluvan time..."?

You see, albrecht, you just stated the obvious: TO is C&Cs Duke Nukem. TO relies on the TS community and that community isnt as vital as it has been when the game was still young. Everytime someone quits due to RL-stress like school, a new girl/boyfriend, a new job or moving, he leaves a hole that needs to be filled in order to get the whole thing moving again.

Would you like to fill a hole? Youd be welcome to do so.

yup, neptune size!

Lt Albrecht
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
You, like many people Albrecht should know the amount of work required for a full release, it takes time sometimes it can take a longer time than what has been planned, unfortunately.
Yes.

But the fact you guys have already got everything done once... #Tongue

Unfortunately my services would be of little use to Oddesey, ATM I believe you are looking for infantry modellers and other 3d artists, not a YR voxeller/coder #Tongue

Believe me when I say if I could whp you up some new infantry I would. Unfortunately for both of us, I can't. TBH I was hoping to invoke a response saying something like "in 2009 depending on X" or "we're waiting on Y and Z and will keep you guys posted".

I do know you're waiting on a certain luike for a certain build...st.

Orac
President

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, how about this:
later, depending on:
-Buildconst
-Mapping for Campaign
-Last few voxels being completed
-Structures being completed
-Anything else, peripheral to these things being completed

Last edited by Orac on Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

Lt Albrecht
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That'll do, thank you. #Tongue

Audiopulse
Railgun Soldier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Main things are Buildings to be completed, afaik!

yup, neptune size!

jerry32j
Cyborg Engineer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok, call me a noob all you want, but wth is BuildConst? I've seen/heard it so many times here and aparently it's obsolete, which is seemingly killing your project. Confused

Is it some .ini tag?

"But what about the Tiberium!?"
-Nod Tib Harv, Tib War III

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's Hyper's destiny. EMBRACE IT LUKE!

Orac
President

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jerry32j wrote:
Ok, call me a noob all you want, but wth is BuildConst? I've seen/heard it so many times here and aparently it's obsolete, which is seemingly killing your project. Confused

Is it some .ini tag?

It makes the AI deploy either ConYard, when Hyper fixes it.
AFAIK, BuildConst has one possible entry, BuildConst=something. What TO needs is BuildConst=something,something else. Meaning that the AI can use both CYs.

CCHyper
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have forgot BuildConst and moved onto a replacement that is much better...

Orac
President

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Shiny. Can you give us a hint? #Tongue

CCHyper
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

[GDI]
ConstructionYard=GACNST
Refinerys=GAREFA,GAREFB
PowerPlants=GAPOWR,GAAPWR

Just a small example...

Orac
President

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey, that is cool...

jerry32j
Cyborg Engineer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So a new question...

I know we don't get to hear too much of the storyline, yet... But could we still hear about what types of missions you have planned? I doubt every level you guys make will be a BLOW UP THE OTHER BASE map.

TBH, I don't like pure commando missions, but I can deal with them. =)
My favorites are the ones where you start out on a commando mission and eventually have to resurrect a base. 'Course, if I'm commando mode too long, I'd get sorta bored... =P

Audiopulse
Railgun Soldier

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, there are five "Collect x amount of Ore"-type missions in the beginning. After that, youll get to play a Commandotype-mission, stealing a refinery and collecting x amount of ore. The mission after that youll have to erect a base, destroy the enemies base defenses, steal his Refinery and gather x amount of Ore.
The remaining missions are pure commandotype-missions.

yup, neptune size!

jerry32j
Cyborg Engineer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That doesn't sound very fun. 90% Collect ore and commando missions?
xD Only one battle mission?

Is that sarcasm or were you dead serious?

Morpher
General

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Audio was having a joke jerry #Tongue. The missions will be as varied as the TS engine allows us, we've worked on a lot of stuff into making campaign elements interesting.

jerry32j
Cyborg Engineer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thought as much. I stated that I hated commando missions and you guys conveniently have 90% Commando missions. xD

Make sure to have a mission where you have a nuke and you have to blow up strategic parts of your massive base that are being over-run by tib-doggies.
Or else I will eat you all. =)

xD
Wif mah big tib mauf!

Anyways, yeah. Sounds like we'll be seeing much more than in the original TS. That was the point of TO, right? =D

Orac
President

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There are plenty of interesting ideas for missions, with much more strategy planned than TS.
While in TS the enemy base was a simple thing, as in skirmish, in the campaign you will hopefully be able to effect the enemy without directly targeting their power/warfactory/radar/whatever. Buildings such as Power Transformers, civilian docks, bridges, and control towers may provide targets which cut off enemy supplies and reinforcements, to make defeating them easier.

As far as the current staff thinking seems to go...

jerry32j
Cyborg Engineer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Through scripting/events/tags/etc?
Or are you making civillian assests part of campaign enemy bases?

Sounds like a lot of fun.

The 'New Posts' identifier isn't working for me for some reason... o.O

Flazor
Civilian

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Aro
Alcohol Fueled

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Indeed it is, that was an old FMV test that was put together by AreaSZ, I'm not sure if she still comes around here anymore.

Orac
President

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yar, FMVs...

Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Woah, never seen that one before. I like!

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It was impressive when I first saw it. Though I always wondered why the Titans and Mammoth's legs move so rapidly #Tongue

CCHyper
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ztype, never seen that!?

Team Black
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yeah, she's awesome

Tiberian Odyssey mapping department. Discord
The Team Black Index

Morpher
General

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

How'd this get out... lol. Mini ingame fmv's detected.

Flazor
Civilian

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It looks REALLY huge! Compared to that walker (possibly titan) it's huge! xD

Orac
President

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

heh. Are any of those units TO designs? #Tongue

Titan
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Orac wrote:

Just the mammoth walker. Wink

Flazor
Civilian

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Titan wrote:
Orac wrote:

Just the mammoth walker. Wink

Will it come in game? The names Mammoth Excalibur, right?

Team Black
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I believe the Mammoth in that FMV was the one Holy Master made

Tiberian Odyssey mapping department. Discord
The Team Black Index

Lord Firestorm
Soldier

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

o_o

I've been lurking since 2006...

Me and my cousin are wondering how close you guys are to some form of a release. XD

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 6 [276 Posts] Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Next
Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon