Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:49 pm
All times are UTC + 0
Making a RTS
Moderators: Global Moderators, Offtopic Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 2 of 3 [133 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmm what you programming this in? Would be awesome if you used C# then it should be fairly compatible with Xbox360 using XNA... I've had many wishes for a decent console RTS, using the same system as PS1-RA1 did (which worked perfectly IMO), and with new online technologies etc.

inzane krazy
General

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

As Tore said before, there is no excuse for anyone not to have TD and RA1 Very Happy

DeathRay2K
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have the actual isos on my site if you'd like:
C&C
RA
I also have many of the TD graphics converted to PNG, but I don't have those online. If you like I can probably put those up too.

0warfighter0
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'd actually like to have a new RTS in the style TD/RA where. Smile

Tore
Plasma Trooper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DeathRay2K wrote:
I have the actual isos on my site if you'd like:
C&C
RA
I also have many of the TD graphics converted to PNG, but I don't have those online. If you like I can probably put those up too.

You don't have Aftermath, CounterStrike or Covert Operations #Tongue

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah but he has the FMVs which pwn all three of those expansions put together.

Tore
Plasma Trooper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The original iso files doesn't work "out of the box" on modern systems.

But the FMV's are awesome :O

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Erm, my discs and ISOs work fine. :/

Tore
Plasma Trooper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I mean with the isos you have to fiddle with compat settings, patch the game with (un)official patches etc.

Nyerguds 1.06b installer and N3tRunn3r's FullRA+ does all that and installs the expansion packs too. Very Happy And they can be installed on 64 bit systems without having to unpack the install files.

To play the FMV's you just mount the iso or insert the disk (after disabling the NoCD function in the C&C 1.06 patch #Tongue)

And what have I done?! :O

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've never had to use any unofficial patch and stuff...

Rayne
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks, I've tried to get TD and RA1 before, but somehow I always were redirected to really strance sites :/ thanks!

VV
http://ppmsite.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25048

Tore
Plasma Trooper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OmegaBolt wrote:
I've never had to use any unofficial patch and stuff...

You don't have to but it is recommended.

DeathRay2K
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't have the expansion packs on there because they weren't freely released by EA, so it wouldn't be legal.
I've never had to do anything special to get them working, but some people do, and the patches are useful for them. Still, they can be installed on top of the full releases, so it's no problem.

Rayne
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What size is the tiles of TD and RA1? As it needs to be 24x24 to fit. I haven't downloaded it yet, I'm not on the computer where I can work with the RTS right now.

VV

Tore
Plasma Trooper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DeathRay2K wrote:
I don't have the expansion packs on there because they weren't freely released by EA, so it wouldn't be legal.

Well, EA said they released "C&C Gold" and C&C Gold is C&C95 and Covert Ops.

And EA doesn't care if the expansions are hosted freely for download. This can be seen because EA has a sticky on the official C&C forums linking to a site which hosts the expansions for download. #Tongue Heck even the 1.06 patch includes covert ops and EA posted news about it...

raminator
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

cnc gold was just cnc95 in germany... #Tongue

just a simple logo by bricks @ raminator, on Flickr

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Same here.

Ixonoclast
General

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't remember that shit. I could barely read english when I played C&C back in the days.

A much older friend of me translated the mission objectives and pointed out what to do.

"Shoot that guy!"

Rayne
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Okay, please stay on topic, and stay on my topic.
I'm finally in a computer where I can work, so expect me to come begging for suggestions.

VV

Rayne
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

How the hell does I convert the tmp formats to gif/bmp/png/whatever? I've exported clear1.des from desert.mix in TD, and tried to open it in shp builder and XCC tmp editor. I may sound noobish, but I can't get it to work.

VV

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Use XCC Mixer. Make sure your viewing the terrain in the right palette, then right click the tile and you'll be able to convert to different formats.

DeathRay2K
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

XCC Mixer is okay, but you also need to fix the shadows manually (Or have support for that in the engine).

Rayne
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I can't copy them as that.

xccmixerfail.gif
 Description:
Sorry for bad colours, paint screwed up.
 Filesize:  28.75 KB
 Viewed:  5008 Time(s)

xccmixerfail.gif

raminator
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Rayne
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Okay, and how can I make the file into a gif/bmp/png whatever with this tool?

VV

raminator
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

it´s so nice that there´s a readme-file...
realy hard to find

Readme.txt wrote:

[6-2-1]: TMP2PCX
----------------
This utility converts a template file to PCX.

The command line syntax is :

TMP2PCX [options] source[.tmp] [dest[.pcx]]

The options are :

-w:<Cols>
This is the number of tiles in each row. You must use this
option.

-p:fname[.pal]
This option is used to specify the palette file to use. If you
don't use this option, the program will look for TEMPERAT.PAL in
the current directory.

-e:[fname[.txt]]
This option is used to specify the file where information about
empty tiles will be saved. If you use only the -e switch without a
filename the name of the TMP file will be used as default with a TXT
extension.

Rayne
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

got it to work, thanks.

VV

Rayne
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Added TD graphics, still in need of slopes/hills graphics though. (As TD doesn't support slopes)

001.gif
 Description:
Check out the cool shadows, the smoke, the not so cool slopes, and the fire! and the trees!
 Filesize:  31.32 KB
 Viewed:  4974 Time(s)

001.gif

raminator
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

making slope gfx shouldn´t be too hard
you just need to darken/lighten the tiles a bit for the beginning

Rayne
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've tried it... I didn't manage to make it look good. And these are just placeholders so far.

Lol, Alot is moddable, I have working particles, items, scorches/overlays, terrain, and maps are read from files, now there's just one more thing I need to do: The units. (Units include buildings)
Better get to work.

VV

inzane krazy
General

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You have nice progress, I like how it's looking Rayne, good luck Very Happy

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes! Good stuff.

Rayne
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks. Unfortunately I'll have to go to bed now, and I'll only have some hours work tomorrow, before I need to leave. And I can unfortunately only work on weekends, I can't use my laptop I use the other days to make it.

Luckily I got a script working, so making the units working will go a little bit faster.

VV

Rayne
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

UPDATE:
I now got terrain gfx from Orac (dirt).
Progress is going slow because of homework... Sad
Any volunteer to test how long the map loading time is for you? Mine is terrible, but I don't have a (good) computer.

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'll test anything. #Tongue

Rayne
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Your hired. Tomorrow I'll send you a .rar in a PM, with further instructions. Very Happy
Thanks!

Oh, and if anyone got any more suggestions to this RTS... don't hesitate.

VV

MT
General

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OmegaBolt wrote:

Orac
President

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

MT wrote:
OmegaBolt wrote:

Me too Very Happy

....Just not online.

Rayne
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Okay, I'll send instructions and the .rar to you too.
No more testers needed.

VV

Feillyne
Grenadier

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

[bump]

Hmm, did I see it or not, or it's just me? Read the whole thread nevertheless...

Crushing! Yes, it IS needed, and required to play it. x-D No RTS game without squashing! At least not that one which is supposed to be a bit realistic.

PS Plus 2-tile (or more) big vehicles.

[/bump]

Rayne
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mmh, crushing. <squash>
It'll be a feature. Oh, and multi-tiled units will absolutely be available. Very Happy

Keep on suggesting!

VV

Feillyne
Grenadier

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmmmm, could you make an .exe creator or anything similar? x-D

You know, to make stand-alone mods, or even games, using your own engine without changing it even the slightest bit. Smile
I.e. a non-open-source engine, which could be used as a little game-maker nevertheless.

Rayne
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nope, sorry.

VV

Feillyne
Grenadier

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, it seems no free engine will be useful for making a decent stand-alone game/mod. = (

Rayne
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nope, sorry.

VV

Feillyne
Grenadier

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Tongue You don't need to repeat yourself, I DO read well. = /

What about shaking the screen when something big exploded, etc.? (or e.g. during a nuke strike)

Vefbl4
General

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very good.

Rayne
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

shaking the screen, ey? hmm...
I think that's possible.

VV

inzane krazy
General

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Rayne, what script does this use?

INI and LUA would be very nice Very Happy

Rayne
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Currently just INI.
Current progress:
working on the pathfinding, using A*. I'm hoping it won't be slow.

VV

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 2 of 3 [133 Posts] Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace! 

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum