Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:08 am
All times are UTC + 0
So...I have this nifty little thing
Moderators: Global Moderators, Offtopic Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [20 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Ixith
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:21 pm    Post subject:  So...I have this nifty little thing Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yea the nifty little thing is roughly $2600 in my bank account and probably another $2000 coming soon. I also have this crappy thing called my current computer. I think you all know where this is going...

So yea I see this nifty thing called money and know I have enough...now the question is what should I get if I do indeed get something? I do have some decisions to make first...those being:

1-Should I get a laptop or just stick with a PC. The laptop idea I kinda like simply because of the mobility and the fact that I will most likely need one for next year in college anyways as I think it is required for the major I'm thinking about going into. However, at the same time I like having a full computer for the fact that it's usually more powerful for the money and doesn't rely on battery power. (of course the battery power deal with the laptop is solved if i keep it plugged in.)

2-The one that I'm sure all you computer buildings nerds will jump on...if I do go the way of the PC instead of the laptop I know i want to build my own and do all the ordering parts stuff...so...if I go that route...what should I get...

Now...time to answer a question that you will all have...spending limit. I know I said i have roughly $2600 in the bank now...but that doesn't mean i want to spend it all. Obviously... So I'd say the MAX i would like to spend is $1300 but would prefer to stay down around the $900 area if not the $800.
Also while I like games i'm not too much of a all time gamer. So i really don't need a super death kick ass gaming machine like some of you. #Tongue

So...suggestions/ideas on this?
oh and thanks...

Titan
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have a laptop myself and it was well worth the €900 spent on it. Before others jump in:

Laptops don't give you as much bang for your buck as a desktop would
Just like a 16GB microSD card is going to cost you much, much more per GB of storage compared to a normal harddrive, a laptop will cost more than a desktop for the exact same reason: space. This puts many limitations on laptops, most of which are in the multi-component support area: you can't cram eight GPUs into a laptop case without a hammer.

Laptops are not very customizable
No fancy casing, no super-silent cooler etc.

Laptops can't be upgraded very easily
Depending on whether you buy a new machine altogether instead of upgrading components this either doesn't bug you or is a big con. The only reason you'd want to upgrade nowadays is to run better games, which I personally find rather silly. No matter whether you get a desktop or a laptop, your machine will be 'old' by market standard in roughly 1-2 years time and you won't be able to play the newest games on max or even medium settings. Sometimes even new desktop machines that will cost you a fair amount of money won't be able to live up to your expectations. My Windows XP machine lasted 6 years with minimal discomfort, my old Windows 98 machine lasted 5 years after which it stopped supporting any kind of modern game at bearable speeds (Renegade + 98 = fps of 2 = me being very frustrated) and my ancient windows 3.1 machine lasted for around 4 years. My current laptop is almost 1 year old now and it's still top-notch. Because the growth in system requirements of many applications is stagnating, you won't have as much trouble multitasking with your favourite thingamajigs anymore, even after like 5 years of proper maintenance.

Laptops run on battery power
This means that in case of a blackout, all that happens is that you will have 2 hours left before it automatically hibernates. A desktop gives you roughly half a microsecond. #Tongue

Also, in college a laptop is kinda essential...

Team Black
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

get a cheap laptop and a sweet desktop. All you need a laptop for is internet and word processing - something you could take to a coffee shop and do your homework on.

Keep in mind Black Friday is coming up, you can get some sweet deals at like Best Buy. I got my awesome desktop there last year for like dirt cheap, and it's got some awesome specs on it.
Keep in mind though, you'll need to stay up all night in line for it though

Tiberian Odyssey mapping department. Discord
The Team Black Index

Ixith
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

@ TB....you will absolutely NOT see me shopping on 'Black Friday'. I simply refuse to get involved in that Chaos and personally think it contains more chaotic fail than PPM would if the people here took Steroids for spam.

@Titan's comments: I have taken much of that into consideration already but thanks for putting it out for an extra thing to agree with.
Quote:

Laptops are not very customizable
No fancy casing, no super-silent cooler etc.

Yea this is true...but honestly it doesn't matter much to me...

Quote:
Laptops can't be upgraded very easily
Depending on whether you buy a new machine altogether instead of upgrading components this either doesn't bug you or is a big con. The only reason you'd want to upgrade nowadays is to run better games, which I personally find rather silly. No matter whether you get a desktop or a laptop, your machine will be 'old' by market standard in roughly 1-2 years time and you won't be able to play the newest games on max or even medium settings. Sometimes even new desktop machines that will cost you a fair amount of money won't be able to live up to your expectations. My Windows XP machine lasted 6 years with minimal discomfort, my old Windows 98 machine lasted 5 years after which it stopped supporting any kind of modern game at bearable speeds (Renegade + 98 = fps of 2 = me being very frustrated) and my ancient windows 3.1 machine lasted for around 4 years. My current laptop is almost 1 year old now and it's still top-notch. Because the growth in system requirements of many applications is stagnating, you won't have as much trouble multitasking with your favourite thingamajigs anymore, even after like 5 years of proper maintenance.

Another very true thing all in all. However, upgrading isn't really a big worry of mine. I don't keep up with the latest new 'epic' games that are 'must haves'. If it tells you anything about me and upgrading my system i'm sitting on an HP Pavillion from like 2004 that only has 35gigs of hard drive space on the C drive and i haven't touched it once. As long as what i get can support everything I already have and a good bit more and hold about 10x or so more on the hard drive then i'll probably be fine.

Quote:
I have a laptop myself and it was well worth the €900 spent on it.
That's good to know. If you don't mind me asking what kind of laptop did you get and/or what are it's specs?

Titan
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ixith wrote:
Quote:
I have a laptop myself and it was well worth the €900 spent on it.
That's good to know. If you don't mind me asking what kind of laptop did you get and/or what are it's specs?

It was a deal with uni, I'll sum it up (freely translated from Dutch):

HP Compaq 8510w
CPU: Intel Penryn Pro T9300
Memory: 2 Gb internal (1x 2GB module)
Hard Disk: 200 Gb (7200 rpm)
Optical drive: DVD+/- RW with Lightscribe
Screen: 15.4" WSXGA+
GPU: NVIDIA FX570M-256 MB
Wireless: Wireless LAN a/b/g/n
USB ports: 4
Operating System: Windows XP Pro (Also came with a copy of Vista that I ritually burned while chanting satanic verses clad in a black robe drenched in the blood of a thousand drowned infants)
Insurance: 3 years
Extra: Fingerprint 3-3-0

Also shipped with a bag, rugsack, keyboard & mouse, random thingies, Matlab, Paint Shop Pro and some other licenses.

I paid a total of €885, but I now see that it's kinda expensive in retail:
http://www.notebookcheck.net/HP-Compaq-8510w.5575.0.html

Team Black
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Black Friday really ain't that bad, unless you're at Wal-mart..
That's where they'll kill just to get soda pop half off :S

The Team Black Index

daTS
Mr. Moosey

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My current laptop was only 899 (that's all i paid, no tax because i got it through AAFES). And this laptop runs Supreme Commander with most medium and texture detail and model detail on high, with minimal lag.

Toshiba Satellite A355-S6935.
Intel Core 2 Duo T6400
4GB SDRAM
400GB HDD
16" widescreen display
ATI Mobility Radion HD 3650 (512mb) video card

It's overall a really nice computer, and is holding up great in tough conditions (survived inside a humvee after getting hit by an IED.) It's a well built computer, you can enjoy games on it, but at the same time it's reliable, and has a good battery life (i played Tiberian Sun for damn near 3 hours fully charged. Died as i rushed my opponent with bombers. I thought i killed my computer)

if you know someone in the military, DEFINITELY get them to grab you a computer through AAFES.

Hell, if you have paypal, I can do it for you. I can order it from the exchange website, have it sent to you, then you could pay me back for it

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Skype Account
Sir Modsalot
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ixith wrote:
@ TB....you will absolutely NOT see me shopping on 'Black Friday'. I simply refuse to get involved in that Chaos and personally think it contains more chaotic fail than PPM would if the people here took Steroids for spam.

You realize that brick-and-mortar stores aren't the only stores with Black Friday specials, right? Online parts shops honor Black Friday every year. Now then. Lemme conjure something up... and... *poof*.

[quote="DCoder"]There is no sanity left in this thread.[/quote]

Team Black
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

do you think newegg will have any deals on black friday?

The Team Black Index

Sir Modsalot
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

They always do. Wink

Team Black
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hmm, now I'm interested.
What could I expect from newegg on black friday, like, what time do the sales start?

The Team Black Index

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Build your own PC. 'nuff said.

Sir Modsalot
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Team Black wrote:
hmm, now I'm interested.
What could I expect from newegg on black friday, like, what time do the sales start?

Microcenter-low prices, mainly. They usually start at midnight Pacific time.

Ixith
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sir Modsalot wrote:
Ixith wrote:

You realize that brick-and-mortar stores aren't the only stores with Black Friday specials, right? Online parts shops honor Black Friday every year. Now then. Lemme conjure something up... and... *poof*.

hey i just said that you will not SEE me shopping on that day. Wink

as for the conjuration of stuffz. As expected it looks good. I ran it by two of my real life friends who like doing this stuff too and they agreed it's all good. Although they both also said that if i wanted to save money I could scale a bit back on some stuff for example one said:
Quote:
you could save alot more money going to a DDR2 setup, however the DDR3 is the new stuff and will have you set for longer than the DDR2 would.

the same guy also expressed a hate for Ati saying he had a bad experience with it. And also said:

Quote:
Also thats nvidia stuff there and nvidia -> intel while amd -> ati So it might be better to go with a whole intel/nvidia system by getting a nvidia graphics card.

of course i'm not really sure how much of this stuff he does compared to you but he's built, i think, at least 3 computers for himself already.
So what's your opinion on the things he said?

Also I think I will wait until Black Friday to order shit cause i'm not in that big of a hurry and I do want to save as much money as possible but not skimp out on shit if avoidable. Plus it would give me plenty of time to see what everyone has to say about certain set ups and give their opinions.

And yes...i promise that when the day comes and i have all of my stuff here and am ready to build it that I will document the building process with lovely pictures.

Sir Modsalot
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ixith wrote:

Quote:
you could save alot more money going to a DDR2 setup, however the DDR3 is the new stuff and will have you set for longer than the DDR2 would.

Well the memory controller in Lynnfield is DDR3-only, and you wouldn't save more than 100-130 dollars going with a Core 2 + DDR2 setup. You might think saving that much makes it worth it as you could get more at the same time, but that platform is very scalable and, with the coming introduction of Clarkdale CPUs, will provide even better bang for the buck than AMD, which hasn't happened in over 2 years, and even that period of superiority in that region didn't last long. Before that, AMD had always held the price-performance ratio crown, (and was even the first to embrace DDR memory) even since I had picked up my first review magazine a full decade ago.

Ixith wrote:
the same guy also expressed a hate for Ati saying he had a bad experience with it. And also said:

Quote:
Also thats nvidia stuff there and nvidia -> intel while amd -> ati So it might be better to go with a whole intel/nvidia system by getting a nvidia graphics card.

Everyone has a different experience with different cards, it's the nature of technology. I also have no idea what he's talking about in the "nvidia -> intel" part, the 2 companies DO NOT coexist as AMD and ATI do.

Ixith wrote:
of course i'm not really sure how much of this stuff he does compared to you but he's built, i think, at least 3 computers for himself already.

That really doesn't say much about him, actually. I had put over 8 months of mixed research and $1,600+ into my upgrade (more than that this Christmas, I'm sure); from his bias and manner of speaking it seems he doesn't give nearly as much thought to what he uses in his own system(s). It's all about balance and compromise with these matters.

Ixith wrote:
And yes...i promise that when the day comes and i have all of my stuff here and am ready to build it that I will document the building process with lovely pictures.

Delicious. Very Happy

Ixith
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sir Modsalot wrote:
Ixith wrote:

That really doesn't say much about him, actually. I had put over 8 months of mixed research and $1,600+ into my upgrade (more than that this Christmas, I'm sure); from his bias and manner of speaking it seems he doesn't give nearly as much thought to what he uses in his own system(s). It's all about balance and compromise with these matters.

Yea i thought as much. I just wanted to double check with other people but i had already told the other guys i know in real life, who have built their own and want to help and shit, that I would probably trust the words of people on here like you over theirs when it comes to finding parts and what not. That guy in particular always seemed to be that kind who think they know everything about what they are talking about but really don't quite know it as well as they think.

Another guy is going to conjure up another possible build that is cheaper but I'm thinking I might just stick with this stuff and wait until the day of Chaos, Black Friday, comes and quickly order shit online after reviewing the change in pricing.

If anyone else has any input then it's welcome as always. lol

daTS
Mr. Moosey

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

did anyone even pay attention to my post? This laptop that i use rivals my DESKTOP. and i paid 899 flat for it. I know building your own is the most excellent thing since sliced bread, but uhh, college means laptop. unless you want two computers, in which case ignore me completely.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Skype Account
Ixith
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sorry festival in town all weekend so i'm just now getting back to this.

daTS wrote:
did anyone even pay attention to my post? This laptop that i use rivals my DESKTOP. and i paid 899 flat for it. I know building your own is the most excellent thing since sliced bread,but uhh, college means laptop. unless you want two computers, in which case ignore me completely.

sorry if it seemed like i or others skipped over your first post daTS but not all the talk goes on in good (well not really good anymore...more like spammy) ol' PPM (MSN and facebook for example) and my reply after your posts was simply to do an overview of the options i have with building a PC.

though it's not like my decision is final already. I have thought about getting a laptop like the one you have and possibly using the option you gave in your first post. Yet, i also think that building a desktop, while it's not the greatest thing like you pointed out, would still be a good experience to have. Also i'm fine with having two computers, it really wouldn't bother me too much.
But again, I won't be ordering anything until i put enough thought behind what I actually want. It's just nice to have discussion about the possible building option for a desktop build.

Dupl3xxx
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

@daTS, thats good bang for buck! I would do the deal without thinking no more!

@Ixith
daTS's deal is win! Lots and lots of win!

daTS
Mr. Moosey

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah. AAFES is the shit. Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [20 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon