Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:41 am
All times are UTC + 0
A Few Questions
Moderators: Generals Moderators, Global Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [16 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Orac
President

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:53 am    Post subject:  A Few Questions
Subject description: About the 'Finer Points'
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've been searching the Gens/ZH inis, PPM, and the community in general, but there are some questions which none have answered particularly. Mostly my problems at the moment are modelling and texturing related, but there are some things which I don't know work in Generals in terms of code.

1: First problem is that I'm unsure as to how to texture models using RenX/Gmax. I think that there must be someone who knows, but I sure don't. #Tongue

2: In C&C3 housecolor seems to act differently to Generals - with decals applied to the housecolor (numbers, logos, scratches, gradients, animated textures, etc.) Can such be done in Zero Hour, or am I stuck with coloured shapes?

3: Is it possible for a weapon to only be able to fire in a certain direction (say, at anything on the left side of a unit)? In other words, can I have a unit with a weapon which only fires at objects within a specific arc? I can't think of one off the top of my head in vanilla ZH, so it might be impossible, am I correct?

4: Can units act as aircraft carriers in a normal skirmish? The carrier I'm working with sort of... flies. I haven't got as far as getting it ingame, so I haven't wasted too much time if it doesn't work...

Thanks guys, I know there aren't many of you around PPM who will be able to answer these questions, but I'm sure you'll help Smile

Frontlines
Missile Trooper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

1. I sorta know. but.. complicated to explain
2 I Have no idea.
3. I belive so.. I can think o fsome units.. that must move the whole vehicle to aim.. other than that.. i have no idea.

4. Yes and no..

Orac.. if you were able to get on msn..
i could explain a bit better on..question 4

Ju-Jin
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Housecolor is applied to a mesh instead of only a texture. But you can at least give it some brighter/darker parts with a b/w texture. See the Particle Cannon, Patriots and other stuff for example. I don't know if you can animate it too (via uv move like tank tracks), you have to test that.

Orac
President

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmm...
Good stuff, good stuff.
Thanks guys Smile

Frontlines
Missile Trooper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

No Problem ;]

Gen.Kenobi
Disk Thrower

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

1. To texture in Renx/gmax/3ds max you must UV uwnrap the model Smile

2. Actuallly is possible to have the house collor shows in normal textures, like in CnC3... You must have the texture name starthing with zhca_texturename.dds (look into infantry units for a more precise name (they were did this way)) And in the place you want the texture, leave it transparent. the game will read as HouseCollor Wink Enjoy!

3. Possible. You just need to edit the "turretrotationpitch' or something like that and specify the number of degress that you want it to rotate: 45°, 15°, 90°...ect.

4. Aircraft carriers, like in RA3 or like in Generals? Please explain more.

Hope that helps...keep them comming! I love to answer questions #Tongue

Orac
President

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Aircraft carriers as in big ships which have aircraft docked on them, with the aircraft able to fly off, attack targets, then return to the carrier.

Thanks for the answers, Gen. Kenobi! I'm beginning to get a bigger picture of the possibilities.

I have some aircraft which I want to be able to change heights of flight ingame (lower for stealthier flight, higher for more armour, etc) I know I can switch between two locomotors, or whatever they are called in Gens, but is it possible to switch between more than just two?

Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Working ACC (AirCraftCarriers) are impossible. At least, they can't move.
As for your locomotor question: you can only have LOCOMOTOR_NORMAL and LOCOMOTOR_SLUGGISH. Short said, you can't have more then 2 Wink

Also, about the housecolor-texture question: ain't it just as simple as naming the section HOUSECOLORxx, and giving it a texture? I remember that I did it this way for IC by accident Confused

Orac
President

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just checking on the ACC answers, because I'm noticing a trend towards the 'no', but is Frontlines' answer as to Aircraft carriers plausible?

Frontlines wrote:

For Units acting like an Aircraft carrier.. i have a few things you could do..

Have the carrier.. garrisonalbe.. and like on some buildings where you can see the unit that is Garrisoned... its some bone that lets you view the garrisoned units.. Have that fory our Aircraft carrier.. let only Aircraft inside of it.. and put those bones whereever you want. -i have not tested this theory, but it is how im gonna make my Air.. Aircraft carrier #Tongue-

Another is copy the bones from an Actual Aircraft carrier, and add them to your model. also.. rumage around the code for the carrier, because i remember reading somewhere that there is a code that lets a unit be an aircraft carrier.

Which is all good, but I'm having trouble testing it atm, because my skill at coding is shaky.

Frontlines
Missile Trooper

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yes.. i would like to know if my way is possible.. becuase.. i dont want to have to do a lot of testing.. to find out its not working.. becuase it can't work.. If it can work like that.. Then.. Good..

DaFool
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Locomotor = SET_NORMAL AngryMobNormalLocomotor
Locomotor = SET_WANDER AngryMobWanderLocomotor
Locomotor = SET_PANIC AngryMobPanicLocomotor
Locomotor = SET_NORMAL_UPGRADED WorkerShoesLocomotor

Those are all the one's I've seen in the GLA infantry ini. Wander and Panic were found in the angry mob code.

As for your carrier, exactly what do you want it do? You could probably do something like the drones from the USA vehicles as something relativly close. Or take the american air craft carrier and mod it slightly.

Code:
  KindOf              = PRELOAD STRUCTURE SELECTABLE IMMOBILE FS_AIRFIELD AIRCRAFT_CARRIER SCORE CAPTURABLE FS_FACTORY MP_COUNT_FOR_VICTORY CAN_ATTACK

I guess justr try to experiment.

Frontlines
Missile Trooper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What I want.. is an Air Unit..
that has four aircraft.. that dock onto it.. And can launch and re-arm and so on.. acts like a flying airfield..

I want the Aircraft visible.. so.. >.>..
Meh.. idk.. im thinking of ways around the Cracks

Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Call me blunt, but a working moving ACC can't be done. It has been tried&tested many times, but it can't be done. The ACC in the second USA ZH Mission is possible because it can't move.

JJ_
Light Infantry

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

One thing you can try is to have the planes contained in it through a transport module, give it a weapon with DEPLOY damage type, and your little planes will fly out to attack stuff when you order your carrier to. It's important to make the planes unselectable.

Potential problems:
1. I have no idea if it even works.
2. Planes can not be made to reload in airfields, ie you can only give them weapons with unlimited ammo.
3. Planes might not always return to the carrier.
4. I do not know how to replace destroyed planes properly, so you might need to make planes indestructible.
5. You can't display the planes on a deck reliably, so it needs to be VTOL and come out from some sort of hole for it to look good.
6. You can't make the planes be destroyed when the carrier gets killed without using some sort of death weapon on the carrier.

Gen.Kenobi
Disk Thrower

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

About the Aircraft carrier...this can work! Just with some codding crazyness you can manage to make it happen.

I tryed but i failled using the first metheod: Make the Airfield an unit.

Now i'll try to make an unit using the arfield art/behavious.

I'd suggest you keep trying. Everything has a way to
be tweaked.

Frontlines
Missile Trooper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Revivng somewaht dead topic...

Why exactly... do moving ACC'S Not work?

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [16 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon