Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:40 am
All times are UTC + 0
Hearts of Iron Ore
Moderators: Dawn of the Tiberium Age Staff
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [17 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
D1Hazel
GDI Hacker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:23 am    Post subject:  Hearts of Iron Ore Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Punny name, I know.

What is it?
An attempt at a new kind of mod. Basically, you build your own techtree.

How to run:
Download BYOND: http://www.byond.com/download/ first, then unzip the .zip into your DTA directory. Keep the DTA folder open and run Hearts of Iron Ore.dmb from there. Whenever prompted, run DTA.exe. If it asks you to delete rules_dta.ini, say yes.

How to modify the source: Download BYOND, then double-click on Hearts of Iron Ore.dme in the Source folder. Now, try compiling it. It should work. Anyway, if you feel like messing with it, feel free. DM (that is, BYOND's scripting language) is an easy language to learn.

HoIO R5.zip
 Description:
Hearts of Iron Ore - Fifth Beta + Source Code

Download
 Filename:  HoIO R5.zip
 Filesize:  584.96 KB
 Downloaded:  423 Time(s)

Last edited by D1Hazel on Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:06 pm; edited 7 times in total

Morpher
General

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Windows can not open this file, game.dmb when I click executable.

D1Hazel
GDI Hacker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

To run the .dmb, you need to install BYOND. Run the .exe file instead. Be sure it's in your DTA directory.

EDIT: Wow, you posted 2 minutes ago.

Morpher
General

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ah that explains it, I downloaded BYOND and I still got funny errors, didn't place in install directory X_X.

D1Hazel
GDI Hacker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Didn't place what in which install directory? Is it working now? Sorry, my comprehension isb't too good right now; it's 2:08AM here.

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't get it. Can someone explain in short simple words what's the purpose of this?

Why is it necessary to compile the rules.ini again and again?

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

D1Hazel
GDI Hacker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

To be able to upgrade/buy/sell the units. Like buying the Turret for GDI and selling off the Guard Tower.

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I still don't see the need for this.
What's the purpose of making it for every player very easy to create a completely imbalanced game, especially if this also prevents any online match due to different rules.ini's for each player.

For example, even if i'm able to do it, i wouldn't replace the M1A1 and Humvee to get the obelisk of light (or something similar).

Last edited by Lin Kuei Ominae on Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

Bittah Commander
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

To be honest I've downloaded it, tried running this thing, but still haven't got a clue what exactly this is or how to play it.

I downloaded your attachment and extracted it into DTA's directory. When I tried to run Hearts of Iron Ore.exe it told me Windows doesn't know how to open dmb files... So I installed BYOND and tried running Hearts of Iron Ore.exe again. Something did happen now and it said something about me needing to install NSIS...
I have no idea what NSIS is or where to get it, so I gave up.

Am I missing something here?

By the way, you can easily convert palettes of SHPs with OS SHP Builder and I also wrote a tutorial for how to convert palettes of SHPs without OS SHP Builder.

View user's profile Send private message ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL
D1Hazel
GDI Hacker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DMB2EXE lied! Well, I'll fix it.

LKO: It's mainly designed for single-player, and I haven't messed with balance yet. Eventually, I want the AI to improve itself as well. It more designed for having everything upfront at the moment than it should because I haven't put in saving yet. Also, it's not simply trading things in for other things. You can buy an Obelisk of Light, Turret, and GDI Airstrip (enhanced mode) without sacrificing anything (other than money).

EDIT: Edited the first post to make more sense. Also changed the instructions. Unfortunatly, I can't get anything to work anymore. If you have any success, post about it here. If you get an IE, sorry. I'm just going to wait until Hyper looks at my except.txts.

Edit: So apparently, multi_dta.dmp is not a crash dump file. I'll see if I can get the current version to work.

Lord Unforgiven
Rocket Infantry

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Eh, I don't get it.
Mind posting a bit more info? A screenshot perhaps, or an example of what you can do?

D1Hazel
GDI Hacker

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It let's you upgrade units' speed, weapons, armor, health, etc., and also lets you buy buildings and vehicles. For example, you can buy a SAM Site (a Nod structure) or a Hijacker (from TS). You may wonder, "Why not just use TibEd or NotePad?" Because this is just an early beta (technically, it should really be an alpha, but I grew up reading about GoldenEye's beta, so meh). In the future, I want to incorporate multiple bases and choices (along with a story and the pillbox, which I'll convert once I stop looking at Dune 2 stuff.)

P.S. I was amazed to learn GDI didn't get the SAM site, too. Is this correct? Also, what are STARTJEEP and friends about?

CCHyper
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What the...

Bittah Commander
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Units that that start with START- are simply meant to just be starting units (this is a work-around to get around certain problems with the naval "logic").

View user's profile Send private message ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL
D1Hazel
GDI Hacker

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Interesting; I wonder, could you PM me with a detailed explanation whenever it's convenient for you. I love hearing about that kind of stuff.

By the way, new version up; see first post. I fixed various bugs and made generation a lot faster. Installs the same way.

Bittah Commander
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Now there's just dm and dmb files, which I still don't know how to run...
D1Hazel wrote:
Interesting; I wonder, could you PM me with a detailed explanation whenever it's convenient for you. I love hearing about that kind of stuff.

It's simply a side-effect of using this method to get alternate war factories to work. With this method the owner of all units its changed to a different one (in this case GDI1 or Nod1) and because of this GDI and Nod can't start with any of these unit, so the making clones of these units (that are unbuildable, but have Owner=GDI/Nod) is the best solution to overcome this.

Deformat
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The only thing interesting is the idea behind to do a HoI-esque tech tree.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [17 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace! 

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum