Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:50 pm
All times are UTC + 0
The Frontlines (2-8)
Moderators: Global Moderators, Red Alert 2 Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [17 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Aro
Alcohol Fueled

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:30 am    Post subject:  The Frontlines (2-8)
Subject description: Biohazard's Submission - 2nd Place
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Biohazard's Submission:

Aro's Rating:

Detail - 17 / 20
Beautiful detailing, it reminded me so much of Westwood. The only real downfalls were the unusual placement of some trees, a few straight clifflines, slopes and LAT areas, but other than that hte detailing was great. Really liked it.

Lighting - 17 / 20
The lighting was excellent, Global lighting had a nice dark touch to it, there was even a day and night loop trigger used which really adds to a good lighting feel in a map. Use of Light posts was good too, the light around the ore was well used as it didn't look blocky in-game, I wasn't fond of the red lighting in the middle, but it definitely adds to the maps feel. 9 for Global, 8 for Light posts.

Layout - 18 / 20
Brilliant work on your maps layout, plenty of choke points and hot-spots on the map, the placement of bunkers made it a bit of a campfest but otherwise it makes for an excellnt team game or even free for all map. The placement of some gem spots were good too, it encourages players to expand to get a good economy flowing. Well done.

Game-play - 14 / 20
The gameplay was fun in a 4 VS 4 game, but whomever started in the middle locations got devoured within little time since there were no open routes straight into the players bases at the edges of the map that didn't go straight through another players base. Other than that, it's another fun map which I would reccomend adding to your mods map list.

Triggers & INI Tweaks - 13 / 20
A good use of triggers which effected both the lighting and the lamp posts. The triggers used were a a Day and Night loop which worked very well by the way, and triggers that turned the lamp posts on and off which definitely added well to the lighitng feel, good job. Other than disabling of naval yards there was no other editing in the map INI. A couple of ambient sounds across the map would of worked really well and added to your score.

Total Score : 79 / 100

Aro's Personal Comments: brilliant map in every criteria, I feel it's just a bit too small for an 8 playler map. Despite the map being small it still plays very well and looks really nice, a good addition to any mod I'd say.

Ixith's Rating:

Detail - 18 / 20
The detailing was great perhaps the clifflines were a bit straight but I found they had enough bend in them.

Lighting - 16 / 20
Good job with the lighting. It had a nice global to it and you implemented a day/night loop. Not to mention a fairly good use of invisible light posts. I found that I didn't really like the red lighting in the middle but it wasn't too bad and also it seemed to me that the day/night loop went a little fast perhaps. Other than that it was great.

Layout - 14 / 20
Layout was rather good. It seems it's primary function is to be a 4v4 map but playing it as a free for all works too. The way the cliffs seperate the player starts was pretty good but I think you could have done more with elevating the entire map with the cliffs rather than the cliffs being spots between players in which you can travel over in some cases. But with a decent amount of choke points and a decent placement of tech structures at good spots it go you to move and secure areas. Perhaps the size of the map would have been better for 6 players rather than 8 though.

Game-play - 15 / 20
It was a fun map. I found that as a 4 player map everything was even and what not but as a free for all map some areas were slightly better off. However, I was typically attacked from at least two routes and the AI typically did well on their own with capturing tech structures and bunkering in some areas.

Triggers & INI Tweaks - 14 / 20
The day/night loops and the on/off lamp triggers worked well and was nice to see as it gave the map a nice lighting effect which not many RA2 maps have. Nice to see the naval yard being disabled due to no water too. However, I felt more could have been done with triggers somehow.

Total Score : 78 / 100

Ixith's Personal Comments: A very nice map. Mainly great for 4v4 matches like I mentioned but does work as a free for all. It played well for both styles of battle and is just a fun map that has decent lighting and good detail. Other than a few things here and there it was a great map. One last mention of something, for some reason everytime I tried to play the map it would freeze on me typically around the half way point in the match however I had one match in which I had all but 1 AI left so I went ahead and judged/rated it. I also asked Aro if he had the problem and he did not.

TOTAL : 157 / 200

(Click to view map in actual size)

Aro
Alcohol Fueled

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Download!

The Frontlines.rar
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  The Frontlines.rar
 Filesize:  147.99 KB
 Downloaded:  897 Time(s)

Biohazard
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

damn i forgot ambient sounds! it couldve made the difference between first and second place!

Retired YR Player
Steam Account : MAS93
Xfire: msbiohazard

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Account AIM Address
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Don't worry Biohazard, you'll get him next time XD

The lighting really went with the title on this one.

Dark Templar X
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The only thing I don't like about this map is the chokepoints and the bunkerspam. Short of that, excellent work.

Eldrei
Missile Trooper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dark is right. The disadvantage in this map are the bunkers since it can easily hit my V3 Rockets and or attacking from high grounds.

Biohazard
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well its called the frontlines for a reason! Ill keep that in mnd next time.

Retired YR Player

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Account AIM Address
Atari2600
Cyborg Cannon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've been enjoying this map alot lately, playing my test skirmishes here for whatever abomination Ive constructed now- Great map!

However, I have yet to finish the game for one reason or another:
A: the paths and short distance to enemies allow them to freakin' bulldoze me in no time!
B: it freezes. alot. seriously, every time I get far, and forget to save, its always "ERROR", and then I get sad.

Is there a solution?

wardeathfun
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Atari2600 wrote:
I've been enjoying this map alot lately, playing my test skirmishes here for whatever abomination Ive constructed now- Great map!

However, I have yet to finish the game for one reason or another:
A: the paths and short distance to enemies allow them to freakin' bulldoze me in no time!
B: it freezes. alot. seriously, every time I get far, and forget to save, its always "ERROR", and then I get sad.

Is there a solution?

A: Stop sucking, then you wont get bull dozed.

Atari2600
Cyborg Cannon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah, I brought on the pwnage with my mod...

Its the other part that bothers me.

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well if your using a mod its likely that causing an error.

Atari2600
Cyborg Cannon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:04 am    Post subject: Re: The Frontlines (2-8) Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ixith wrote:
for some reason everytime I tried to play the map it would freeze on me typically around the half way point in the match.

I beg to differ- I betcha that it isn't my code that causes this... Its happened in EVERY match that I've played, and no other time on any other map. It's so awesome, and I want to finish it, but obviously something is impeding me...

wardeathfun
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I never had a problem with the map, as often as i played it online.

Nikademis Von Hisson
General

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:32 am    Post subject: map Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I played this map 10 times, I play 4 on 1 and every time I am about to take out the last opponent the game freezes up. Any other map the game plays out fine.
The ground is not flat enough around where your base.
8 players on such a small map? are you serious? should have been 4, 5 tops. The AI seems to choke them selves off by not being able to move

And did anyone notice this when the map was submitted?

http://www.ppmsite.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27714

Biohazard
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'll take a look into the map again and see if a problem could be found. Could be something like ore on a slope or somthing.

Quote:
The ground is not flat enough around where your base.

A) Build your base better.
B) Base Locations are flat dunno what your talking about.
C) Learn to expand.

Quote:
8 players on such a small map? are you serious? should have been 4, 5 tops. The AI seems to choke them selves off by not being able to move

A) Don't use modified AI
B) If using vanilla AI it's the pathfiding.
C) 8 clearly fits, dont like it? Then remove a few.

Quote:
And did anyone notice this when the map was submitted?

What's wrong in those screenshots?

Retired YR Player

Atari2600
Cyborg Cannon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Biohazard wrote:
I'll take a look into the map again and see if a problem could be found. Could be something like ore on a slope or somthing.

Thank you for taking the time to do just that. I appreciate it!

I wouldn't have mentioned it if I didn't like the map. It's fun, and provides me with a good challenge because of the short base-to-base distances.

Biohazard
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Delete all the triggers. That solved it for me.

Retired YR Player

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [17 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon