Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:19 pm
All times are UTC + 0
Star Trek vs Star Wars
Moderators: Global Moderators, Offtopic Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [44 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Star Trek or Star Wars
Star Trek
27%
 27%  [ 5 ]
Star Wars
72%
 72%  [ 13 ]
Total Votes : 18

toadnuke
Soldier

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:27 am    Post subject:  Star Trek vs Star Wars Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Feel free to toss anything that you feel to be relevant into the fray.

I'm going to start by saying Star Trek makes Star Wars look like the Teletubbies. (especially the prequels ROFL! )

I know these debates can, and usually do, get pretty heated and I don't want this to dissolve into a flame war.

That said, try to have an intelligent discussion and don't get overwhelmed by nerd-rage, please. Smile

For all the latest updates, visit my site. http://www.freewebs.com/toadnuke/

Orac
President

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I dislike both.
Neither has any real sort of connection to the audience, no diversity in its characters, no real exploration of the (far too massive to be any use) universe in which they're set. Not radical new ideas which are required to make science fiction worth paying attention to.
The main problem I find is that in a really big universe like the one which both rely on, the characters (how ever simple they may be) become comparatively minuscule and less carefully characterised. In the case of Star Wars, this makes the plot have to fall back on bigger things (War!) - trivializing the the characters further. In Star Trek it simply makes things uninteresting, because without the budget or technology to do things like massive space fights it is forced to struggle onwards anyway.

Thus, I take the simple option. I set aside fifteen hours to watch Firefly.

Regulus
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

FIREFLY!

toadnuke
Soldier

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Orac wrote:
I dislike both.
Neither has any real sort of connection to the audience, no diversity in its characters, no real exploration of the (far too massive to be any use) universe in which they're set.

..... how much Star Trek have you actually watched?

And what version?

Ickus
General

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

starcraft =o

Titan
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

First of all, Star Wars is a series of movies, two not-really-radically-different trilogies (apart from shooting dates perhaps #Tongue), whereas Star Trek is a selection of tv series. From captain Kirk to captain Archer, they're all different. Star Wars has about two hours per movie to show off stuff, Star Trek has more on the order of 45 or something.

Star Trek is soft science fiction. The technobabble makes no sense even to a layman and to anyone who remembers at least something from highschool physics it's laughable. Aside from that, the series is mostly about social stuff, the relations between the characters. Most of it is shallow, but there is also some pretty intricate stuff. If you want a more solid story without all the black plot holes stuffed with inarticulate technobabblish inverse psionic resonance harmonics powered by borg matrices that were augmented through nanoprobe positronic photon torpedo exoskeletons then you may want to try Deep Space 9, along with TNG I've found it to be the best story-wise. Enterprise is just modern sfx retro (the new Enterprise) and Voyager is for when you suspend disbelief completely and just go with the flow.

Star Wars is an epic themed movie built around three clichès:

1. The rise of evil (evil grows and takes over)
2. The fight between good and evil
3. Superpowered beings

Not necessarily bad. Star Wars IS indeed a big thing with a lot of character. The plot, however, is just a lengthy version of the good versus evil thing, which dominates throughout. By assigning a 'Light' and 'Dark' side, things literally become black and white because someone can only be alligned to one side as the pull to the dark side always corrupts. I find this to be agonizingly simple sometimes and intricately intruiging and clear at others... The rest is just sci-fi coating with big machines, explosions, wars, funky laser sounds and secondary plots about struggle, hate, love and deception. What Star Wars doesn't try, however, is attempting to explain the mechanics of its universe through meaningless sentences aimed at befuddling the viewers.

I have no real conclusion here, I like both Star Trek and Star Wars, but for different reasons. Star Wars is more of an epic story that's really easy to follow and Star Trek is mellow shallow at times and dead serious at others, something you have to get used to somewhat.

Atari2600
Cyborg Cannon

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Too true.

I can't ever pick just one, because I can spout technobable, and random facts from both. But I can say something that applies to both: The older renditions of both were better. More specifically, Star Wars IV-VI were the best (Han shot first), and Star Trek TOS/TNG & TOS era movies were the best. The newer stuff is just failure by comparison!

Don't get me wrong, the newer stuff from both is entertaining, but life would be better without it.

I seem to be the only person on the face or the earth who didn't like the latest Star Trek film.

Orac
President

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

toadnuke wrote:
..... how much Star Trek have you actually watched?

And what version?

Controlled amounts of the original series and deep space 9 #Tongue. (I have no idea about The Next Generation, and I stayed away from the films. Although I'm kind of sad that I've never seen any of the Borg - there is potential in the concept)

To elaborate on my hasty post previously, I really can't stand
A)The total suspension of disbelief
B)The lack of deeply character driven plots.

With A, it is to some extent planned escapism. Suspension of disbelief is the point. But while I can forgive the gfx budget and the somewhat haphazard stories, B worries me.
It is the same problem as appears in many of today's films. Characters who can be simplified down to one or two common stereotypes makes the story being told so much less immersive. I like it when characters have coherent hopes, dreams, and pasts.
It means that I can escape reality into the lives of unusual characters in terrifying situations, and actually be concerned about the outcome.
It gives script writers more to work with, because the characters you have can basically be left to their own fictional devices and simply spin a story from their conflicts.
When the characters aren't so coherent - Obviously the head character naturally gets a more fleshed-out backstory - they don't have the same immersion. In Science Fiction it is a necessity that the audience is immersed, because if they are, then the fridge logic is less noticeable and you can get down to enjoying it.

What I'm trying to say is that I am a major proponent of well scripted, well cast, character driven fiction.
What is missing from Star Wars and Star Trek, apart from Summer Glau, Nathan Fillion, and co, is really deeply interesting characters (based on my impression of the 6-8 eps of each of the two versions I mentioned).
That said, very few TV series, films, comics, or games have that level detail in the characters - and the problem that there are only so many types of character which can really work in an ensemble.

But I also like science in my science fiction. Things which people wish they had today, and imagine in the future, are fun things to see brought to life on screen (Paper-thin display screens is a good example). This sort of detail is something missing in Star Trek, to my knowledge. And in Star Wars.. it is nice to see for the first few minutes, but after that I find that the sheer weight of minor things is both a blessing and a curse - more so in 1,2 and 3. The holograms are nice, but after they get used in every second scene it gets bland.
The problem there is that Star Trek didn't have the budget to do that kind of detail, and focused on the necessities. Star Wars had too much money and thus squashed some of the story telling while adding a lot of eye candy.

And remember kids, don't combine Alprazaline vasoconstrictor with droxine. It'll kill your out-patients, and make Simon Tam all mad at you.

Tony
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The problem with Star trek was the lack of creativity in the alien species, in almost every version with a few exceptions.. most of the aliens too closely resembled humans.

I can only think of three things that were not human like and they were all from the original series:

#1 lizard man.. whatever it was called.

#2 An oil slick thing, that talked and consumed people much like the blob ( I could be referring to a past nightmare or something completely unrelated to the shows.. if so ignore this one. Laughing )

#3 a giant bugle ( like the tornado shaped snack ) that consumes everything in its path..

I'm Not going too much into Star Wars, it was fun to watch, some of the games based around it are good..

Ixith
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

welp...to add in my bits and pieces

first i'll agree with Titan in that it's kinda hard to compare the two when one was, for the most part, a set of several TV series, Original Star Trek, Deep space 9, Next Generation, Voyager, and whatever the newer one is that was suppose to be a giant prequel to all the others, while Star Wars was a high budget movie. However, Star Trek DID have it's own movies here and there, including the new one of course.

Anyways, I personally prefer Star Trek because a good portion of it is more about discovering weird anomalies or weird circumstances and what not and trying to find the answer to such things, and in some cases failing, rather than being a story completely developed in a war against an Empire and how that Empire came to be. Of course I do agree about the whole Alien bit in Star Trek being many/most things they encounter of which are humanoid and you never really see anything that is just different like a big fat giant slug that can 'talk' and do stuffs among the many other minor alien things in Star Wars.

However, I personally don't like either all that much to be honest although I have seen all the Star Wars movies and a good portion of The Next Generation, Voyager series of Star Trek, along with bits of parts of the other series and most if not all of the Star Trek movies.

and to end my little bit that I had no real focus on imma play you guys a song...well i'll let youtube handle that...
It's by a fairly Gothic style dude who calls himself Voltaire and it's about Star Trek stuffs...it's good for a laugh. (Also suggest listening to the other ones, aka Worf's Revenge, and The Sexy Data Tango.)

and yes...this is the real reason i even posted in this thread.

toadnuke
Soldier

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Orac, if you are looking for something like that, than I suggest you watch TNG's 'Darmok' or DS9's 'The Visitor'.

TNG also has about as much diversity in the characters as you reasonably desire.
TOS is more of a joke. Not that it's bad, it's just too silly to take seriously.
DS9 has some really good episodes if you look for them. The Visitor is a good example.
ENT is megacrap. Stay far away.
VOY doesn't have much character diversity, really. It only has a hand-full of good episodes as well.

Titan
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The canon explanation for nearly all aliens looking humanoid in Star Trek is that the galaxy was 'seeded' with genetic material by an ancient humanoid species that would lead all to evolve into humanoids.

I think are that they simply wanted to lay bare human social stuff, projected onto slightly different people. You can't have much communication or chemistry with a sentient blob of slime,. Nobody would've watched TOS if Kirk would hop in bed with a winged insect with poisonous mandibles. For the viewers they wanted the best of both worlds: a dose of alien content covered in a thick sauce of humanity (multilayered pun intended). Only very rarely does Star Trek stray from this path: TNG's 'Darmok', Voyager's Species 8472 and a whole batch of TNG and DS9 episodes. It looks a bit fluffy and phoney at times, but the ideas are there.

Also yeah, Voltaire rocks your socks. #Tongue

Dark Templar X
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I prefer Star Wars because it's actually not all that bad. Technically it's not even science fiction, it's just a "space opera."

That said, I cannot stand Star Trek at all. The entire thing is bland, dull and boring. It has the ability to be super epic but it fails... HARD.

toadnuke
Soldier

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dark Templar X wrote:
I prefer Star Wars because it's actually not all that bad. Technically it's not even science fiction, it's just a "space opera."

That said, I cannot stand Star Trek at all. The entire thing is bland, dull and boring. It has the ability to be super epic but it fails... HARD.

Did you see the new movie?
Which version of the series have you seen, because they are all different.

Team Black
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I like Star Wars better, but not to the point where I'd debate over it

Tiberian Odyssey mapping department. Discord
The Team Black Index

Wess
TS Mapping GOD

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

As it happens i have been watching several Star Trek episodes on YT of late (mostly TNG, VOY and ENT.), feeling a bit nostalgic i guess.
Not to say i like ST better then SW, watched all SW movies a while back. won't be long before i'll be watching all ST movies again.

i like em both.

m7
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Star Trek always felt like it wanted to be a TV version of Star Wars but without cool weapons or a fairly well-developed backstory. George Lucas has scientific explanations behind most of the technology and some of it's quite feasible in the next 30-50 years as opposed to anything I've seen in Star Trek.

And, I've seen the latest movie. And still not impressed.

Dark Templar X
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

toadnuke wrote:
Which version of the series have you seen, because they are all different.

It was a newer one. The acting was so bad and so forced. It was so terrible that I wasn't able to watch more than three minutes. Never again. Never again will I even try to watch Star Trek.

206UE
Missile Trooper

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

S7Λ272Ξk's ship is LΛmΞ. I'm ΛLL f02 pΞΛcΞ, 3u7 y0u hΛvΞ 70 hΛvΞ s7yLΞ. S7Λ2wΛ2s' ships wΞ2Ξn'7 7hΛ7 62ΞΛ7 Ξi7hΞ2, pΛ27icuLΛ2Ly 7hΞ 7IΞ fi6h7Ξ2s. I v07Ξ f02 S7Λ2wΛ2s 3ΞcΛusΞ 0f 7hΞ JΞdi c0ncΞp7.

Last edited by 206UE on Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:21 am; edited 3 times in total

Regulus
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Take my love
Take my land
Take me where I cannot stand
I don't care
I'm still free
You can't take the sky from me!

Long Live Firefly!

Commander

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow, you guys.

Star Wars is no match for the Star Trek... I disliked the new Star Trek movie though, kind of is dishonorable to the whole series.

toadnuke
Soldier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

m7 wrote:
Star Trek always felt like it wanted to be a TV version of Star Wars but without cool weapons or a fairly well-developed backstory.

Star Trek: 1966

Star Wars: 1977

Dark Templar X wrote:
It was a newer one. The acting was so bad and so forced. It was so terrible that I wasn't able to watch more than three minutes. Never again. Never again will I even try to watch Star Trek.

You probably watched an episode of Enterprise or something from the first season TNG, which the same as saying:
"I watched a highlight of Jar Jar Binks scenes on YouTube, and I hated it. Star Wars sucks."

You really should watch some later TNG (specifically, the mid-3rd to 6th seasons). After you get acquainted with that, move on to DS9 Razz

Eldrei
Missile Trooper

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Didn't watch both of them. Watching them makes me feel like a nerd. Neutral

Titan
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Eldrei wrote:
Didn't watch both of them. Watching them makes me feel like a nerd. Neutral

You're posting on a modding forum for old games, how are you not a geek already (note that geek != nerd)? #Tongue

Also, there are huge differences between individual Star Trek episodes and Star Wars movies. But especially between different Star Trek Series there are enormous differences in atmosphere and the general style of writing. Although they share the same canon, they're widely different like TD - > TS - > FS - > C&C3 - > C&C4 are. Plus the script writers swapped around, unlike the continuity you had with George Lucas' SW canon.

toadnuke
Soldier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Titan wrote:
Plus the script writers swapped around, unlike the continuity you had with George Lucas' SW canon.

It's easier to have continuity when you only have 12 hours of screen time, imo.

Orac
President

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I dunno. Star Wars didn't so much have continuity as have plenty of unrelated pieces of background story which could be pulled out of Lucas' ass whenever something needed explaining.
(Another thing which sort of ... annoyed ... me about Star Wars - the fact that for all the 'continuity' there was very little which really gave the viewer an impression of "This is us, in the future. Our problems are the same, there are just more of us spread over more worlds". I couldn't quite actually empathising with characters).

But it is true, keeping continuity is more difficult when each script writer has a slightly different view on the characters' individual personalities.
Even if you go the Straczynski route and have the same writer breaking basically every story.

Last edited by Orac on Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:19 am; edited 1 time in total

toadnuke
Soldier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Orac wrote:
(Another thing which sort of ... annoyed ... me about Star Wars - the fact that for all the 'continuity' there was very little which really gave the viewer an impression of "This is us, in the future. Our problems are the same, there are just more of us spread over more worlds. I couldn't quite actually empathising with characters).

This is most likely contributed to by the fact that none of the characters have any hobbies or interests.

They all live an inhuman, spartan lifestyle, only concentrated on their tasks and jobs.

Nyerguds
General

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Regulus wrote:
FIREFLY!

THIS.

gufu
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Eh, I don't really like either, but Star Wars > Star Trek for me. Because at the end of the day, SW can just pull out a huge "Pew Pew droids and lasers" battle and keep me mildly entertained. ST is rather limited in its possibilities.

Darkstorm
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The Star Wars original trilogy was much better that the prequel trilogy, never saw much of Star Trek though.

toadnuke
Soldier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Darkstorm wrote:
The Star Wars original trilogy was much better that the prequel trilogy, never saw much of Star Trek though.

I'm glad someone agrees.

If you have any friends or family that are trekkers/trekkies, you should consider asking them to get you acquainted with the series.

They'll know what to do... #Robot

Atari2600
Cyborg Cannon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nyerguds wrote:
Regulus wrote:
FIREFLY!

THIS.

THIS.

Battlestar Galactica, anyone? Vintage?

Silent Running?

Alien?

Dune?

206UE
Missile Trooper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

"ΛLiΞn" is 7hΞ ΞssΞncΞ 0f 6Ξnius.

Last edited by 206UE on Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:23 am; edited 2 times in total

Orac
President

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

toadnuke wrote:
Darkstorm wrote:

I'm glad someone agrees.

The first three were good.
The second three were very underwhelming
Be glad that there isn't another three, as was originally planned #Tongue

toadnuke
Soldier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Orac wrote:
toadnuke wrote:
Darkstorm wrote:

I'm glad someone agrees.

The first three were good.
The second three were very underwhelming
Be glad that there isn't another three, as was originally planned #Tongue

Are you serious??

I think that amount of failure may have damaged SciFi as a whole.

vladek515
Grenadier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

both crap
if you have problems with that just say it

Crash
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The thing that bothers me very much about Star Wars are the the abundant plot-holes that are intervened between the two trilogies. Obi-Wan Kenobi (and everyone else) really suffer(s) from Alzheimer's in the second trilogy. The transition from trilogy one was FEEBLE and faulty. They are better understood seperately.

I can't really speak up that much about Star-Trek, since, I really haven't watched it adequately to make up my mind about it.

In conclusion I can't really decide.

gufu
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Crash wrote:
The thing that bothers me very much about Star Wars are the the abundant plot-holes that are intervened between the two trilogies. Obi-Wan Kenobi (and everyone else) really suffer(s) from Alzheimer's in the second trilogy. The transition from trilogy one was FEEBLE and faulty. They are better understood seperately.

Well, it has been around 30 freaking years. So, yeah.

Regulus
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I agree. The original trilogy was MUCH better than the prequels, on many levels. The prequels had too much

Gay shit, like Jar Jar binks, and Nerd rage Anakin.

Suped up tec that looked and performed better than the second trilogy stuff.

Jar Jar Binks

Nerd rage anakin.

Orac
President

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

...Burn the land, and boil the sea...

BTW, It was the Fruity-Oaty-Bar. And the Pax.

Last edited by Orac on Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

Dark Templar X
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Atari2600 wrote:
Dune?

The only good sci-fi in existence.

Regulus
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I liked Dune. I thought it was all right. I wish they would have made more movies about it. The only way to satisfy your craving for it is to read those bible sized books.

Dark Templar X
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The books are so ztyping amazing. I need to re-read the original...

Nyerguds
General

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

...you can't take the sky from me!

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [44 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon