Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:06 pm
All times are UTC + 0
Update #6
Moderators: Gangster
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 2 [57 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Gangster
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:21 pm    Post subject:  Update #6
Subject description: Obelisk of Light
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

NEW:

OLD:

Last edited by Gangster on Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:12 am; edited 1 time in total

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I didn't realize how beautiful some of these structures really looked like @_@ Though the obelisk, it still bugs me. The proportions seem off. The base should be bigger or the tower thinner.

By the way, the laser turret looks huge when compared to the obelisk.

Gangster
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I did my best. I can't do laser smaller because it start looking spining-ugly-something i did my best here :\

But whats wrong with obelisk?

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Compared to how the rest of RW's buildings are close to the originals, the obelisk is just too different. That's not necessarily a bad thing, I just don't like how thin the obelisk base looks right now. It should also have a darker texture. There's a reason why the TS Obelisk stood out from the rest of Nod buildings.

I would suggest you flatten the base slightly, stretch the base a bit forwards and its edges just a bit to the back, and give the obelisk a slightly darker tone. Oh and I think the crystal is positioned too far above the tower level, you should reduce that gap.

whereswaldo.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  24.19 KB
 Viewed:  18806 Time(s)

whereswaldo.png

Vefbl4
General

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Those powerplants are gorgeous.

Gangster
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Crimsonum wrote:
Too slim, the base needs to be fatter. I can't post any renders atm, but the concept art I could find is pretty close to the final, if not identical. Also note how the obelisk/pillar is not just an inclined column. It has that watchtower/bunker-like protrusion in the back (can be seen on the unused FS FMV "Mech Attack 2").

Clickety.

Rolling Eyes

as for the color, all Nod building are lighter then their TS originals.

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Gangster wrote:
Crimsonum wrote:
Too slim, the base needs to be fatter. I can't post any renders atm, but the concept art I could find is pretty close to the final, if not identical. Also note how the obelisk/pillar is not just an inclined column. It has that watchtower/bunker-like protrusion in the back (can be seen on the unused FS FMV "Mech Attack 2").

Clickety.

Exactly, and as far as I can see, there has been no change to the obelisk since.

Quote:
as for the color, all Nod building are lighter then their TS originals.

Are you sure? Because honestly I see no difference in the building colour darkness except for the HoN and Obelisk.

Deformat
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wasn't ReWire offline?...

Gangster
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Wasn't ReWire offline?

It never been.

Quote:
Are you sure? Because honestly I see no difference in the building colour darkness except for the HoN and Obelisk.

Weapon factory. Others are same indeed but in the end all RW Nod buildings are have same darknes level, as well as GDI one have same brown.

FekLeyrTarg
Light Infantry

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Deformat wrote:
Wasn't ReWire offline?...

Wel, anyone can change his/her mind quicker than some people think. Smile

Deformat
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Guess so.

Well,awesome stuff.Somehow,I dislike the whole concept of the obelisk.Really.Don't know,hasn't been any other TS concept for it?...

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Offline? Huh? What on Earth are you talking about?

And there's nothing wrong with the concept. I prefer this over the TD obelisk at least.

Deformat
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
I have found it realy demotivating for myself. A lost any interest to RW. I dont want work on it any more. Just resigned. Over.

Gangster
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It was an April Fool.

SMIFFGIG
General

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think the main piece is too thick and bulky

I think the edited ingame TS version may have been to prevent the design being direction specific) The originaly design has an obvious front
Which means due to TS/RA2 engine it could look like the building is facing the wrong way around. But I dunno thats just a guess. Maybe they had completely different reasons for changing it

Edit:There also needs to be a better gradient in the obelisk crystal as well as a darker overall texture imo

All in all it just needs tweaking if anything Smile

Anyway I have quickly put together the Obelisks of TS so people can make up their own minds

obels.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  263 KB
 Viewed:  18736 Time(s)

obels.png

Last edited by SMIFFGIG on Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:16 pm; edited 4 times in total

Speeder
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think it's great that Gangster based TS Obelisk on that one concept instead of the actual ingame appearrance. TS original has to be the worst design of this defense as for now IMO and since ReWire improves Tiberian Sun instead of copying it to YR engine as it was, it is a very nice eye candy.

As for the size comparison between Laser and the Obelisk - I'd say that Nod Tech Center size has always been more of a problem than anything, as far as scaling is concerned... Compare THAT one to the Laser.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
Tony
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The Obel looks great, but like SMIFFGIG said, you should shade the firing point or "crystal" from light to dark.

Change nothing else. #Tongue

Gangster
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

First post updated.

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Great Work Gangster. Surprised

The only thing i would complain is the selfshadowing of the structures. Especially on the Adv. PP is the shadowed small tower behind the big one imo way too dark.

I would suggest raising slightly the intensity of the ambient light source, so the shadows aren't that dark.

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

Pepzi
Plasma Trooper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice. I like the red one.

Vefbl4
General

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dude show your obelisk from the side view.

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

vefbl4 wrote:
Dude show your obelisk from the side view.

That would help comparing it and the concept, yeah.

Gangster
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here it is

sideview.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  10.61 KB
 Viewed:  18574 Time(s)

sideview.png

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's...different, for sure. Forget what I said about flattening, the base needs to be somewhat twice the size it's now, and the tower should erect in a lower angle.

ddddddd.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  102.15 KB
 Viewed:  18575 Time(s)

ddddddd.png

Remus
Rocket Cyborg

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

From the profile view, yours seems to match the original concept very well, but much of the detailed shape is lost once viewed ingame at the pulled-back, pseudo-isometric angle. (Specifically, I'm referring to the indented details on the base towards the front. Ingame, the base appears smooth despite your profile view revealing that you did include those details.) Maybe those details need to be exaggerated to show up better ingame? Also, both the older and newer versions you posted appear to blend in easily with the pavement terrain due to the majority of the Obelisk using a gray texture. Does it need more details beyond what is seen in the Westwood concept art?

Otherwise, I like where this is going. I'm excited to see what sort of animations you give this Obelisk. I was always fond of the "pop-up" Obelisk firing animation seen in a piece of concept art for this particular Obelisk design.

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
I was always fond of the "pop-up" Obelisk firing animation seen in a piece of concept art for this particular Obelisk design.

As this would quickly get repetive ingame, it would also loose its good taste. I think the concept art merely shows how the build-up anim was to process.

Speeder
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

From what I remember, one of TS-to-TW total conversions interpreted that concept as two modes for the Obelisk, offensive and defensive or something.

I'll also just leave a small opinion of mine about the new design - I think first one was nicer, in terms of shape and texture. #Tongue Keep up great work.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
Dudeinabox
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow, the obelisk looks so crap in TS but this a beaut!

Crimmy: FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Pepzi
Plasma Trooper

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Speeder wrote:
From what I remember, one of TS-to-TW total conversions interpreted that concept as two modes for the Obelisk, offensive and defensive or something.

I'll also just leave a small opinion of mine about the new design - I think first one was nicer, in terms of shape and texture. #Tongue Keep up great work.

TS:Rising will have a two mode obelisk.

Vefbl4
General

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Crimsonum wrote:
It's...different, for sure. Forget what I said about flattening, the base needs to be somewhat twice the size it's now, and the tower should erect in a lower angle.

What he said.

Try remaking it.

Orac
President

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It looks just fine. Move on to the next building Smile

Aro
Alcohol Fueled

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Agreed, not everything can be bang on.

blubb
General

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Aro wrote:
Agreed, not everything can be bang on.

subterrain box

Hydraw Art on Facebook

Aro
Alcohol Fueled

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Go and fuck yourself.

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Lol wut?

Quote:
It looks just fine. Move on to the next building

I disagree, we've only seen two versions so far, would it really hurt to make a third? I much rather watch at something that's taken some time (well, with a limit) to finish but is worth it and pleases as many people as possible, than something that's been rushed (read: C&C4).

Vefbl4
General

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well it does look "FINE". But it could look awesome.

0warfighter0
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That cristal really looks vurnerable as it's holded only by 2 concrete plates.

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

0warfighter0 wrote:
That cristal really looks vurnerable as it's holded only by 2 concrete plates.

That's how it seems to be in the concept too, though the gap is much smaller in it so it looks more sturdy.

Reaperrr
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

vefbl4 wrote:
Well it does look "FINE". But it could look awesome.

While you may be right, this kind of thinking is the reason why a lot of projects never get finished.

though I must say I prefer the old Obelisk Very Happy

Pepzi
Plasma Trooper

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Last edited by Pepzi on Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Old orange is best IMO.

blubb
General

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Aro wrote:
Go and fuck yourself.

sensitive are we? xD

Hydraw Art on Facebook

Gangster
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

this time it matches sketch's side view.

Obl.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  10.37 KB
 Viewed:  18336 Time(s)

Obl.png

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Now that's king! Now the last suggestions I can come up with is lifting the flat platform under the crystal much higher towards the crystal, enough so the gap won't appear so large. It could just be me, but how about also making the base just a tiny bit wider?

Vefbl4
General

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I like it that way. Smile

Pepzi
Plasma Trooper

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thumbs up!

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Looks good, though should be textured rougher, like the old one IMO. It currently looks too smooth.

FekLeyrTarg
Light Infantry

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OmegaBolt wrote:
Looks good, though should be textured rougher, like the old one IMO. It currently looks too smooth.

But besides of that, your Obelisk rulez. Good work.

SMIFFGIG
General

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

love it!
You have taken all the best parts from the concept/FMV and ingame

Aro
Alcohol Fueled

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

blubb wrote:
Aro wrote:
Go and fuck yourself.

sensitive are we? xD

Not really, I'm just sick of your head-up-your-own-ass attitude.
The new obelisk is brilliant by the way, even though I never saw much of a problem with the old one.

Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon