Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:43 am
All times are UTC + 0
Supreme Commander
Moderators: Global Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [28 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Anyone here mods or play Supreme Commander?
Yes
20%
 20%  [ 3 ]
Play but not mod.
13%
 13%  [ 2 ]
No
66%
 66%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 15

Roaches
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:06 pm    Post subject:  Supreme Commander
Subject description: Yes or No
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just curious if anyone here mod or play Supreme Commander? I do since the game has great scale, superior LUA scripting platform, and gameplay thats similar to C&C and Starcraft.

Old trailer

So far, I have no problems at all since I can write custom logics for a unit separately through scripting (been modding it since 2009). And it has multiple weapons and turret support, which fills my cup of tea for modding possibilities. Other than that, you'll need good compy to play at max graphical settings.

Quote:
Everybody knows a mod that doesn't update every ten seconds is dead.

m7
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I can't get into the game. The scale of the entire game is too encompassing for me, the gameplay has never stood out to me, and the game itself lacks that appeal that most other games have.

But, it's a well-made game and I'm sure much is possible with it.

MT
General

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Love this game. One of the best RTSs out there I think. Took many weeks for me to actually get good at it though :p

I don't quite mod it, but I play it a ton. 2-4 player games with my friends and its epic, although I haven't tried facing the AI much. Hour-long games, just about every week, and we've played with tons of mods. I love its system allowing you to use multiple mods together... I think I might get into modding someday as well.

It's so complicated yet so balanced, I don't think I'll ever get bored of it.

Alec, get in here! You too dafool.

inzane krazy
General

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I just simply wish they kept some of the better crap from the beta to the final game. Like the Titan's MLRS on it's back, and some other-graphical things. I'd really love to see a great overhaul mod that doesn't just add new units or structures, but also changes most of the things and adds balanced gameplay changes. Such as making the original vanilla factions more graphical, and balancing out Ztyping Seraphim, because those guys are just OP in a way.

If only the game looked as good in that trailer Sad

Also,
Experimental Wars isn't that good with it's permanent Assassination, which just kills the game. Another thing is the 2GB RAM limit thing, that bit is annoying.

Dubzac
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

inzane krazy wrote:
I just simply wish they kept some of the better crap from the beta to the final game. Like the Titan's MLRS on it's back, and some other-graphical things. I'd really love to see a great overhaul mod that doesn't just add new units or structures, but also changes most of the things and adds balanced gameplay changes. Such as making the original vanilla factions more graphical, and balancing out Ztyping Seraphim, because those guys are just OP in a way.

If only the game looked as good in that trailer Sad

Also,
Experimental Wars isn't that good with it's permanent Assassination, which just kills the game. Another thing is the 2GB RAM limit thing, that bit is annoying.

ever notied they are weak on the defensive just use 2 epics covered by 30 AA vehicles and watch that enemy base turn to ash mwhahahaha!
or just swam the enemy base with AA units and tech 3 units. btw at sea battles just build hoards of battleships i got 30 of'em and 100 AA ships followd by 30 gunships and 8 epics i had something like 50 eneineers working hard out lol. its insane. so hard was the fighting, it slowed down my pc, so much it stopped . XD that was fun. but your right Seraphim are tough but just don't just use tech 3 the key is to be mobile and used all transports etc, formation whatever. treat Seraphim as aeon use your tatics you use to defeat aeon opponents theres really not that much different in tatics use it, to your advance. the expandion is hard as hell but if i can make it with all 3 factions you can. i think crybran are so weak defensive buildings are a joke. i could overrun the defenses so fast it wasn't funny, seriously crybran need better defenses at tech 3 battles its insane the speed of the battles best defense for turtle tactics is just layer defenses not lines but circles weird but it works. but defenive battles you should try not to do you should try to keep hold of the sky and build units as well as getting your ACU building epics/ the on thing that gets me the must is that the whole base that you have is just spammed with power plants and mass collectors. is impossible to have a pretty base. just a big chunky one. not my idea of nice. and one more thing too many buildings only do one thing, lame. but nice game play and story.

lol the funny thing was i didn't understand how to upgrade my ACU for ages. but when i did the UDF's ACU nuke upgade was so fun. i had the enemy guessing for ages where my nuke silo was. nuked him with subs and silos as well as my ACU. damn that nuke defense was a real let down( thank goodness i was fast knocking out all the nukes before they launched). if i was on the other end i would like the recharge to be faster since it does nothing but desory nukes and consume massive amounts of energy.

i must admit Aeon was my personal fav , just loved that flying donut and that walking mech it looked so cool as well as that funky green.

inzane krazy
General

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey, I always have pretty bases :v

Hence why I lose alot if my pretty base stops pumping out units with it's 10 factories, or gets over run by higher tier units D:

Dubzac
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

donno bro just can't seem to build nice bases in the expansion its just too fast paced only in vanilla version.

i personally never been over run too many times only when i played on normal and hard have i ever lost a base. but most of the time it was on purpose.

LOL i nuked my own base once cuz it was so damn ugly i built another then nuked the old one and rebuilt. i think it was on the map that your suppose to lose and be recalled. not sure the name. the location was totally not a good place to base. too many ways for the enemy to get in total of 5 ways. i think the small 5 bases had 2 epics in each

the only thing that really stopped me was the epics and nukes other than that it was totally predictable.

the QAI mission was the worst base location area i have ever been in the northern hole was a b**** to full up and cover myself and my base as well as AA.

i just spilt it up into small bases. i'm curious what others did to fix to this problem?.

inzane krazy
General

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mega base covered by tonnes of shields and anti nukes, provided by having Anti Cruise missiles and ground and air defences as well as having artillery cover everywhere. Last, but not least, double-triple walling the entire base :v

I'm such a turtle :V

Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Have it, play it, but it's too slow for me. SupCom2 is better from that point of view.
Modding it: nope.

DaFool
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

SC2 is just way to simplified from SC1. I prefer vanilla to to the xpack too, imo they messes up the UI.

As for modding... I don't know, I don't like blender and I feel like 'd have to do something original rather than....what I do.

MT
General

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

inzane krazy wrote:
Mega base covered by tonnes of shields and anti nukes, provided by having Anti Cruise missiles and ground and air defences as well as having artillery cover everywhere. Last, but not least, double-triple walling the entire base :v

Heh. I'm a hybrid then. I use templates for my farms and defences, so those look neat, although on the overall my bases are still quite irregular lol.

DaFool wrote:
SC2 is just way to simplified from SC1. I prefer vanilla to to the xpack too, imo they messes up the UI.

As for modding... I don't know, I don't like blender and I feel like 'd have to do something original rather than....what I do.

Agreed on SC2. But for the 3d: Come on DaFool, you gotta get out of the box someday, sticking to the same modeller modelling the same company's units won't allow you to expand your experience much at all #Tongue

Roaches
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

inzane krazy wrote:

Same here #Tongue my favorite faction is UEF since they're all-rounded in most battle conditions. And about SupCom vanilla, I remember modding the TML launcher for every faction giving the option to fire automatically, relieving the "manual fire" burden Very Happy

Also its a shame I can't play online as I would like to battle some of you guys. (limited internet connection) which pretty makes up why I mod it instead.

@ inzane krazy: http://www.moddb.com/mods/the-diversity-mod this mod might be right for you if you want balance overhaul mod. Wink

Quote:

Dubzac
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Personally i would like to challenge a human player just for refining my own bases and skills and defensive style play.

I was always weak defensively. Offensive was always my strength. I was mobile not to be turtle in SC1 expansion was too hard to turtle more than say one hour.
The original was way easier to learn tactics. The expansion needed little tactical knowledge that was needed. So i just gave up on that.

i think with manual launch was useless, vs anything other than buildings and hoards of units makes you wounder why they even bothered with tactical missile?

inzane krazy
General

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Heh, if you're willing to stay up late and catch up to me and MT's time zones, then you can probably play with us Dubzac #Tongue

Also, Tactical Missile Launchers ( The static ones) are great for taking out experimentals and other slow moving ground units. Also annoying as hell when it comes to piercing shields and in combination with artillery to mop up bases.

Dubzac
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

inzane krazy wrote:
Heh, if you're willing to stay up late and catch up to me and MT's time zones, then you can probably play with us Dubzac #Tongue

Also, Tactical Missile Launchers ( The static ones) are great for taking out experimentals and other slow moving ground units. Also annoying as hell when it comes to piercing shields and in combination with artillery to mop up bases.

never played mutliplayer in Supreme commander. It be cool. personally moble Tactical Missile is the only thing i use mosly but the static ones , i'm still learning about how to use correctly.

inzane krazy
General

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Uhhh, Forward Firebases #Tongue

Dubzac
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

inzane krazy wrote:
Uhhh, Forward Firebases #Tongue

depends on level of difficulty. but i thought of that already the idea of forward outpost aka fire-base.

The mobile launchers are more than capable of that job. waste of credits on later levels i was not impressed. but buildings was good thing to knock down and weaken shields and defend cliffs (even if its not really useful for that because of manual fire.. Laughing )

Razz one cup of uselessness coming up

FurryQueen
General

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ahem...
Fuck Supreme Commander.

That is all.

Steam

gufu
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

FurryQueen wrote:
ahem...
Fuck Supreme Commander.

That is all.

You can always play SC2, if you can't take the slow awesome.

freedom fighter
General

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Damn, this game looks tight! So much action with the units and all. But I'm afraid my crappy comp can't take the excessive unit spams Sad SC2 from what I've seen isn't that bad but it seems to have suffered some same problems with the newer CnCs, such as units looking like lego bricks (doesn't bother me much) and some units being weaker than their older counterparts.

Right now, I'll stick with Total Annihilation, the low-poly SupCom with the same awesomeness. Anyone tried the Excess II mod yet? #Tongue

@FurryQueen: ಠ_ಠ

Roaches
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

freedom fighter wrote:
SC2 from what I've seen isn't that bad but it seems to have suffered some same problems with the newer CnCs, such as units looking like lego bricks

Blame it on the exploitation of Normal Mapping over high polygon modeling.
I remember Chris Taylor explaining that SC2 was supposed to exploit this method according to an interview. Unfortunately units will look like lego bricks if the game graphical settings are not at max.

I'm not surprised if C&C 4 and newer games use the same method, but on their bright side it does saves alot of time compared to high polygon modeling since Normal Mapping is easily generated from textures in photoshop.

Quote:

Joshy
Schwing!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Blame it on the exploitation of Normal Mapping over high polygon modeling.
I remember Chris Taylor explaining that SC2 was supposed to exploit this method according to an interview. Unfortunately units will look like lego bricks if the game graphical settings are not at max.

Dude, the stupidity of your first sentence hurts my head. The 'exploitation' of normal mapping is used in every modern serious game. High polygons in a game engine isn't happening. Normal maps take such a small toll for such the amount of detail they enable, who wouldn't use them? Oh wait, nevermind, let's make tanks in a 3D RTS that are 300,000 polygons a piece and the frame rate will be 0.000000000001.

It may be hard for all of you to understand but the fact that RTS's can have a large amount of units on the screen being rendered at once will take its toll. Therefore, within a 3D RTS (or any 3D game for that matter), artists work to make the meshes low poly yet retaining a basic outline of the shape. Normal maps are there to help project the small details and make the meshes look better. The more polygons saved, the better.

Generals didn't 'exploit' normal maps and I don't hear you wankers complaining. Engines have their limits and all the models must be kept within a limit for the people that want to play the game at a decent frame rate.

Quote:

I'm not surprised if C&C 4 and newer games use the same method, but on their bright side it does saves alot of time compared to high polygon modeling since Normal Mapping is easily generated from textures in photoshop.

Look at CNC4 screenshots. You think there is more on there then a diffuse map? Their shader networks are turds. Secondly, it doesn't 'save time'. As much work goes into the normal maps as the base model itself. Also, normal maps aren't done purely in PS. They may tweak them in PS and try to tone the depths more, but that's all.

Quote:
SC2 from what I've seen isn't that bad but it seems to have suffered some same problems with the newer CnCs, such as units looking like lego bricks

Please, code me a 3d engine that will render 100+ units on screen with your polygon limits. First part of what I said wouldn't happen, ever. As for the second part, it would crash any game.

And, I've never heard of supreme commander until this thread.

Orac
President

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I thought that Normal maps were generated from high-poly models, then applied to their low-poly counterparts?

..I'm not a 3D-er, so..

Roaches
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Joshy, don't take my post seriously, I was exaggerating on my previous post #Tongue

Quote:

Joshy
Schwing!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Roaches wrote:
Joshy, don't take my post seriously, I was exaggerating on my previous post #Tongue

Oh man, I'm glad you said that. I honestly thought you were serious. Razz

Roaches
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

No problem Wink I just need to watch my level of sarcasm in both the internet and IRL. (happen to offend people without knowing >_>) if I was serious then it would be a wall of text like in your post Razz

@Orac: its called Texture Baking if you're making Normal Maps from 3d Models #Tongue. Normally I make them in photoshop using Nvidia's DDS plugin for small details like rivets and pannels but, can be also done in both ways Wink

http://www.bencloward.com/tutorials_normal_maps1.shtml
heres a good tutorial and overview about it.

Quote:

DaFool
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

[quote]And, I've never heard of supreme commander until this thread.[quote]

WAT

Anyways, (not that I know if they do or not), but I would think that in an RTS game, they would take advantage of using LoD (Level of Detail) models so that a close zoom in will show the highest model, while zooming out will show the lowest. SupCom I know had unit symbols at the highest zoom, but I'm not sure what of the model gets done. I do know that Renegade used a few LoD models (they were superimposed in the same model) so that they didn't have to render the full model when it was too far away to be fully appreciated.

Roaches
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DaFool, SupCom does use LOD model mechanics in its Strategic zoom Wink.

Quote:

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [28 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace! 

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum