Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:44 pm
All times are UTC + 0
Electronic Arts and Command & Conquer.
Moderators: Global Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [28 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Banshee
Supreme Banshee

Also Known As: banshee_revora (Steam)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:46 am    Post subject:  Electronic Arts and Command & Conquer.
Subject description: The next game can be an FPS game based on Generals. How bout that?
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey everyone! I hope you haven't missed my '20 minutes' daily post from yesterday, but the truth is... I had absolutely nothing to post about. Some mods like Mental Omega and C&C ZH Tiberian Twilight are requesting feedback, but that's not really a news. Afterall, every mod wants feedback, isn't it? And today, we don't have any news about mods either.

So, what do we do when we don't have news about mods? How about... talk about something else? So, today's subject is Electronic Arts.

-> For those who think that C&C is a dead franchise, think twice: it still sells a lot of games and EA is fully aware of it. We all know they are developping a new C&C game, however, what chickendippers, from CnCWorld.org, found out recently is that they are actually hiring a new community manager. Somebody who should do the job that APOC used to do. The Goodman guy can't handle all the franchises that he is being responsible for, so he'll probably drop the C&C one. Anyway, if you live in USA, you should consider getting this job:

Quote:
The EA Games Label is currently searching for a passionate, motivated, and experienced Community Manager (CM) for its Command & Conquer franchise! The CM will be a prominent voice for our active forums, maintaining an active social network presence, executing major live events, creating and distributing community content, and maintaining the franchise website.

-> The crew from Time Of War found out an interesting article at 1up.com about why did EA canceled one of the big projects they had with Steven Spielberg, which was codename LMNO.

Yea... and what does C&C has to do with that, you may be wondering? In the page 4 of that article, one of the last paragraphs says the following words:

Quote:
At that point, EALA had another big project on the table: a real-time strategy/first-person shooter hybrid set in the Command & Conquer Generals universe known as "Project Camacho," named after the president from Idiocracy. And for financial reasons, then EALA general manager Mike Verdu -- who took over for Young as studio head, while former Westwood head Louis Castle (pictured with Spielberg, above) took over Young's Blueprint group -- had to choose between the two, so he cancelled Project Camacho and moved most of its team onto LMNO.

Considering that this LMNO creature has been shut down, there is a possibility that this Camacho monster might be ressurect and shows up under another name. Whatever happens, be aware that an FPS based on Generals universe has been on EALA's plans. The only question that I can ask is... how do you use the Generals universe if it barely has any story at all? I guess I'm glad they've canceled, otherwise it would be a multiplayer-only game... but that's just my personal opinion, of course.

Last edited by Banshee on Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:19 am; edited 1 time in total

MT
General

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, "barely any story at all" is great for giving flexibility for a new game. Not to mention the other CNC stories got built on with additional games, while generals hasn't had much yet. Who knows, if they do make a few more games in the universe it could get fully developed... by EA standard :p

Whatever the outcome, I'd be looking forward to a CNC FPS no matter which CNC universe its based in.

MadHQ
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I would be a bad ass community manager! Razz

I should apply!

raminator
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mad for president #Tongue

just a simple logo by bricks @ raminator, on Flickr

MasterHaosis
General

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I do not like their new projects. For me, personally, all new games are fail games. So I do not expect further ones to be better.

PPM Halloween Season 2021

ApolloTD
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's not dead but ruined franchise. If they wanted revive a scrapped game, they could start with Tiberium, probably would have more done than generals fps to work with.

Won't matter anyhow, any new EA games are doubtlessly online focused akin to C&C4... oops you lost yer connection, we'll reset you to the main menu and not save your progress!

Electronic Assholes can keep their junk for all i care.

Atari2600
Cyborg Cannon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Unless this thing is a game-changer, I think Ill leave my money in my wallet.

It will be interesting to see what comes of this whole series of events...

Reaperrr
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

EA should stop f***ing around and make Renegade 2 already. The only aspects that kept Ren1 from being a real big hit were the mediocre graphics, lack of additional game-modes (death-match, team deathmatch and CTF would have been enough) and lack of bots.

Well, and the ultra-slow speed at which they released cheat-preventing/exploit-removing patches, but I guess that was partially a direct consequence of sales not meeting expectations.

DaFool
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I guess Genegade (I'll trademark that right now) makes sense in that they want to compete with all of those 'modern realistic FPS', ala CoDMW2. EA's answers (BFBC2, MoH) haven't really taken anything from MW2's massive popularity, so perhaps they are giving the fringe games a chance now?

I REALLY want Renegade 2, regardless of which of what game its based on. Generals seems the most conservative of the games, with the least amount of sci-fi, so its probably the most appealing to a wide audience. Sure its got the now traditional US vs Terrorists conflict going on, but it also brings in a third side, China, which brings in something new. Add in all those Generals vehicles, a FPS based around 3 teams, and a 'skirmish' mode, and you'll have something thats unique in today's market.

The story looks wide open, as the missions of Generals are mission-oreintated and less story orientated, leaving any SP mode they wish to add with alot of freedom and the chance to put the player in cool situations.

Volgin
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Generals like Renegade's gameplay style? I'd bite. Not like those assholes over at that ren-gen conversion are dong anything. DO IT EA. Very Happy

Orac
President

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

But.... but... but... I STILL want an FPS with the Renegade 2 kirov in it. Crying or Very sad

...That thing would have been beautiful to walk around in.

gufu
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Am I the only one who cannot imagine a modern day Renegade 2 - especially in General's universe. I'd assume that EA will try a gritty approach. But I just can't imagine gritty Renegade or Generals - it would just seem like their new Medal of Honor game, with giant tanks tacked on.

Godofgamers
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I agree. The appeal for me in Renegade was the ability to do things with a lighter tone. Renegade seemed to have a clear sense of ironic retro. That, along with ransacking Kane's bedroom, made the game for me.

It also looks like Genegade is totally out of commission, the website no longer exists, nor do most of the image links

Dubzac
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

form all the posts i've seen so far it looks like we really don't know what EA is up too. its been a far while since i've seen any new games for a long time.

Last time random games got shut down seems to be a much bigger game is on the cards. i'm picking something big happening soon with EA games.

goodness i hope for another arkane game if it is anything like "might and magic :dark messiah" pulled off, they got my vote.

Last edited by Dubzac on Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

D1Hazel
GDI Hacker

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ah, why couldn't EA need a new community manager when I actually had qualifications? I could Public Relations up the CnC franchise like no tomorrow. Seriously, if I were in charge of EA's PR, I could get you guys the kind of game you want while making EA truckloads of money. Heck, Genegade would be the perfect distraction; all the "movers and shakers" with the innovative ideas? Genegade. Everyone the team can spare? You're porting all the removed features from the older CnC games and porting them and the missions to the Red Alert 2 engine. Include the source code of TD, RA, SS, and possibly TS, put in a .dll modding system like the one in Half-Life 2, and remove any files you can't legally release due to licensing. Release the game compilation for 10 to 20 bucks a little before Genegade, hype the heck out of Genegade, hope you guys buy it, I'm off to play Tiberian Dawn mission where Nod trains soldiers to take over people's minds. Whether or not you like Genegade is irrelevant at this point, as you've got the most moddable Westwood RTS engine ever, and we've got MW2 fans flocking to Genegade. Honestly, if you had that .dll system thingy, would you care if EA botched another CnC game?

Morpher
General

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes

Ju-Jin
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah and everyone here would cry how hard it is to write that mod dll. Most people here even cry about how hard xml is, you can't try to give them real code to work with...

Volgin
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What the ztype did you just say?

Also, why the hell would I want MW2 fans in Renegade? Why? Thats a HORRIBLE idea. You are a bad person for that thought and you should feel BAD

The-Light
Grenadier

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'd say first see it, then get an opinion. I mean CnC hass had near 1/3 of the possible games in the series cancelled, Camacho and LMNO are just 2, we had Westwoods Twilight, generals 2(never heard anything of it anymore since 3/4years), renegade 2, and even more who didn't make it to be finished. I say i'd rather wait and see whether something comes out this time.

A generals as shooter/rts combo is the worst i've heard so far, not that it couldn't be done good and be awesome, it's just that ea is gonna make it so that it'd need to be modded before it's of any use. Looking at the modability of some newer cnc's(cnc3kw, cnc4) i really doubt if it 'd work out.

Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If you want Genegade (as DaFool calls it): play Battlefield 2. I always saw that as the FPS version of Generals #Tongue

Volgin
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Continuum and Renegade 2, OLD Generals and the OLD TD (with the really futuristic shit) are astounded at being unmentioned here for canceled.

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

But the versions of Generals and TD you mention never really existed as their own; they simply took a different turn and finished the project (and yeah, at one point Generals was going to be a Tiberium Wars, then a Red Alert 3, then Generals with Africa and Europe as factions).

Deformat
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What futuristic TD? Also, I say we'd just wai, who knows what they might not do.

Orac
President

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

@Deformat: There's a bit of TD concept art with mechs and powersuits and jumpjet infantry and aliens and stuff.

SuperJoe
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

They should just pretend C&C 4 never happened and try again. OK, I never even played the game but from the looks of it and what I've heard of it I didn't miss much. And the ending I looked up on youtube looked pretty horrible. Generals 2 with Europe as a faction (and possibly more) sounds interesting too though. They should just keep base building and other C&C trademarks in instead of trying to copy from competitors. Just look how Starcraft 2 kept it to the basics and is selling well.

Deformat
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Orac wrote:
@Deformat: There's a bit of TD concept art with mechs and powersuits and jumpjet infantry and aliens and stuff.

I don't think I've seen those. Got any links?

Stygs
Cyborg Cannon

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [28 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace!