Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:42 pm
All times are UTC + 0
Forum Idea?
Moderators: Global Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [32 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
daTS
Mr. Moosey

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:04 am    Post subject:  Forum Idea? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It just occurred to me... is having a "chat" mini-box or mini-window possible with this version of PHPBB? It would be great if registered users who are online at that time would be able to to just chat in a mini window with the rest of the registered users. I never see more than about 25 users on at a time on a regular day. Either group (like common chatbox's) or private (similar to facebook). I think it would be a nifty addition. Smile

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Skype Account
Aro
Alcohol Fueled

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Facebook should keep to Facebook. Smile

daTS
Mr. Moosey

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

well yeah, but It's not facebook. I'd just like to open a chat window with one of the members, say hi, maybe ask a few questions or something, or just chat. and don't say "that's what MSN is for". I am only on my own computer 50% of the time. I'm at school a lot, and wouldn't mind talking to some of you during my downtime at the college.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Skype Account
CCHyper
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There was a chat option years ago, i remember that...

No one ever used it though.

Cranium
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I wouldnt mind a little chat box Wink

The enemy shall be injected with toxic poison - Venom

Nikademis Von Hisson
General

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:23 am    Post subject: idea. Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

how about the chat box that renegade forums has and if that idea would be used make them log in, no guest names.

http://www.ppmsite.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27714

Shadow Hunter
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Looks interesting, but i think it should be closed for members, people (guests) would like not to see the last convo we had before yesterday... Rolling Eyes

Scorched Earth
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Great idea, but it worries me that posting responses to threads would become... Redundant.

Nikademis Von Hisson
General

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:01 am    Post subject: forum Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, if things were broken down sub forums under RA2 Editing forum it could help alleviate the repeative topics. People could browse topics a bit more easily. Sub topics could be ini coding, vxl, shps, super weapons coding, offset coding, and misc. And enforcing the topic name. How many times have we seen "Help me please" as a topic name. Maybe a feature can be implemented to where when you are posting a topic a keyword can be selected so when people do a search they can find the topic easier.

I have an understanding of forums. My friend ran a forum for 10 years and I had access to the structure where I could see how the forums are set up. Depending how many topics you are working with, it can take a few days to reorder the topic. I know this would be a pain to do.

m7
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Freedom Studios has a chatbox on the top of the forum page. I think half the time that's the life of the forum. A bigger place like this could have a lot of fun with something like that.

Orac
President

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The spambox is a good place to gauge the current mood of the forum, and allows for information to be swapped a lot quicker.

On the other hand, SPAMbox. It ends up filled with spam a sizeable chunk of the time. Awesome spam, but still spam.

iamn00b
Jumpjet Infantry

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

how about public chat? (something in hiveworkshop.com)

Orac
President

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Or you could take a cue from Renegade Projects and just get an IRC-thingie set up.

Nikademis Von Hisson
General

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:22 am    Post subject: forum Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Orac wrote:
Or you could take a cue from Renegade Projects and just get an IRC-thingie set up.

didn't i mention that yesterday?? LOL

Clazzy
Karma Police

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If anything, go with IRC. It doesn't require much effort to set up and if it isn't popular, it isn't like all the effort to install a forum mod has gone to waste.

hotrods20
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

How long would it really last?  Think about this.  We are all chatting at once and no one can read each other messages. If you take everyone from PPM and throw us all into a giant chat soup it will all go to hell.  It would be fun for a week, then shiza will hit the fan.  Think of how much we spam and fight each other anyways, then put us in a instant update chat.  In my opinion, this will be a bad idea after a short period of time.  
Quote:
No one gives a crap about your opinion!!! - Whoever plans to say it.

Last edited by hotrods20 on Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:16 am; edited 1 time in total

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I doubt everyone would be chatting at once. For one, everyone is in different time zones and two I doubt everyone will use it.

IMO a pop-out box on the forum would be better and get more activity, but an IRC could work too... I usually just forget about those and don't use them though.

4StarGeneral
General

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A Shoutbox on the top or bottom would work, and would only need to store 5-10 posts, so it wouldn't really tie up the forums. Although, the forums have already been having problems for awhile, do you really want something else that can screw it up more?

Nikademis Von Hisson
General

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:53 am    Post subject: forums Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have a friend that does web designing and web hosting. maybe talking to him he can find the problem. I gave this link to banshee www.vague312.com

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

Also Known As: banshee_revora (Steam)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey guys, I'll take a better look at this topic once I return, but.. what I can see right now is:

1) Shoutboxes are lame, because the kind of content posted on them usually gets more lame than forum posts. And it polutes and clutter the index page. So, I'm against it.

2) However, I'm not against chat/IRC option like PPM forums used to have, although few people used it.

3) I don't need webhosting and web designing services at the moment. Thank you.

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

But a shoutbox will absorb the lame posts. Currently PPM has a lot of spam and venting taking place in real topics... maybe this would actually help.

hotrods20
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

We could have a section on the forum for ventilating. It would help keep the idiots in one general area.

Orac
President

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hotrods20 wrote:
We could have a section on the forum for ventilating. It would help keep the idiots in one general area.

Crap forum?
The problem I find with the crap forum is that posts in it come up naturally when I press 'View posts since last visit' - A chat/spambox would allow for random jibes to be localised in a place where it could be more easily ignored.
Also, might be good for important but only immediately necessary warnings like "You created a new topic instead of replying to the existing one. Delete it quick before someone else posts."
And questions like the ever present "Where's lalala##.mix".

On the other hand: Effort, time, and space required for such a thing.

Regulus
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

IIRC is great, but it is very underutilized by the general pop. Hell, most people (not here) probably don't know what an IIRC is. They probably think AOL instant messenger was how it was done back in the day.

Silly kids.

gufu
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think web-based IRC would be very useful to just hang around in.

Nikademis Von Hisson
General

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:50 am    Post subject: ideas Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Banshee wrote:
Hey guys, I'll take a better look at this topic once I return, but.. what I can see right now is:

3) I don't need webhosting and web designing services at the moment. Thank you.

I got that from since you didn't respond to the PM I sent. But I was thinking maybe he could help with any problems you were having with the forums. I figured since this is one of the more active and noob friendly forums he could offer some insight on any issues you might have.

If some one was to donate, the only link on the site I saw was for donating to Revora.

I like the idea of a shout/chat box, but at the same time I don't. There is a chatbox style used on MySpace. The only problem with using the box idea (what ever style you use) is the fact you can have 8 different conversations going on at the same time. Best to use MSN Messenger, ICQ, or AIM.

Nyerguds
General

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OmegaBolt wrote:
But a shoutbox will absorb the lame posts. Currently PPM has a lot of spam and venting taking place in real topics... maybe this would actually help.

Well there's not much going on in the C&C community... these lame posts are sometimes the only things keeping this place somewhat alive #Tongue

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: ideas Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nikademis Von Hisson wrote:
If some one was to donate, the only link on the site I saw was for donating to Revora.
Revora hosts PPM.

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

Also Known As: banshee_revora (Steam)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

But there is a donate button for PPM, near the ads of the site.

Cranium
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Lets just do the IRC chat, that way it has its own channel and wont interfer with the forums.
Course, we'd need a moderator or two to help keep it clean from the idiots who'd only go there to bash and cause chaos.

The enemy shall be injected with toxic poison - Venom

hotrods20
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cranium has a good point with hqvings mods and a simple IRC channel would work out pretty well. How hard would I be to keep the nooks out? Most of them don't even have the software to connect. If they even acquired it, then they would have to figure out how to use it. So I vote for a IRC channel.

Clazzy
Karma Police

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If someone finds a good place to host an IRC channel/server (depending on how much control people want over what goes on I guess), I don't mind trying to run a bot on my NAS. It's usually on 24/7 (apart from when I have any guests staying over since it's pretty noisy if you're trying to sleep) so it would be good for opping the right people and automuting dicks.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [32 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace!