Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:53 am
All times are UTC + 0
Twilight Flame
Moderators: Global Moderators, Red Alert 2 Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 2 [93 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Hogo
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:08 pm    Post subject:  Twilight Flame Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

New map I have decided to work on after the recent official Polls turned in that this was the most favoured generals map.
Note: this map will be hard to recreate due to the ways cliffs are in YR but I will try my best to design this map.

Feedback is greatly appreciated
Thanks
Rob

If you want to see the progress steps I have taken images from time to time and they are here on my Photobucket.
http://s1080.photobucket.com/albums/j337/TheRobWatling/Red%20Alert%202/

Generals Preview

See here for Twilight Spark (2-4)
http://ppmsite.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=425183#425183

Generals Preview

Current Progress

Last edited by Hogo on Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:12 pm; edited 13 times in total

wardeathfun
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What made you choose grass terrain over Desert? Smile

Hogo
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

wardeathfun wrote:
What made you choose grass terrain over Desert? Smile
Desert doesn't support the Bridges Sad I wanted to use desert but then desert also lacks lots of other terrain features like water cliffs.

Blade
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Make it a TX map?

Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

To continue from the other topic:
-The cliffs in the corner and between player locations are the highest parts of the map.
-Player locations and the middle cliffs are about the same height.
-The part between the left (and right) starting locations is supposed to be a dried-out river bed from the looks of it. This is the lowest part.
-The other parts slowly descend from the starting locations into the river bed, excluding the hills where the bridges are.

Hogo
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blade wrote:
Make it a TX map?

Never really understood how TX works to be honest, Adds extra Terrain types? like bridges for Desert? Where can I get it? as Cannis no longer exists.

Updated first post.

Nikademis Von Hisson
General

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:56 am    Post subject: TX Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

http://www.ppmsite.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27714

FurryQueen
General

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The middle part is a big canyon, not a river. Not retaining the same character as a river to be honest.

Steam

Hogo
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

FurryQueen wrote:
The middle part is a big canyon, not a river. Not retaining the same character as a river to be honest.

Yeah I noticed that, I will remove the river shortly and place some dried style texture in the riverbed.

Krow
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Maybe it would look even better if you used desert instead. Very Happy

Hogo
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Krow wrote:
Maybe it would look even better if you used desert instead. Very Happy
Like I said, Desert doesn't support Bridges without TX so I will move to TX when I have some time.

Starkku
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Converting map from temperate to desert and vice versa is pretty easy anyhow, only things that might need manual fixing are aforementioned high (both wood and concrete) bridges and water cliffs which are all absent from desert theatre in vanilla YR. Possibly stuff like trees too depending on how you've used them.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID Twitter Channel URL
Hogo
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Starkku wrote:
Converting map from temperate to desert and vice versa is pretty easy anyhow, only things that might need manual fixing are aforementioned high (both wood and concrete) bridges and water cliffs which are all absent from desert theatre in vanilla YR. Possibly stuff like trees too depending on how you've used them.

Well I luckly I need the water cliffs gone anyway as there isn't actually a river there lol.

I will change it to desert with TX on Saturday when I got some more time to do the map.

I will remake this but its almost impossible to get it close to what the generals one is so I will make it based on a revision by myself.

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Why not make it isometric. Instead of trying to recreate it exactly, just turn the Generals minimap at an angle and then fill in the blanks that occur at the corners.

Orac
President

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I considered suggesting that, but it is a much rougher looking way of doing it and hardly a remake.
If YR had a decent shroud tileset it'd look better in that manner, imo.

Scorched Earth
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Awh, you decided to go against what little I gave you. #Tongue
Like I said before, I have full confidence you can do this.

Hogo
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

New Update Very Happy

Orac
President

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The cliffs could do with more variation, imo.

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The cliffs are wrong, anyway. The player spots should be 8 height units above the bottom of the canyon, so that one cliff range would seperate the canyon from the flat, open area at the end of the bridges, and another to seperate this area from the higher ground, where the player spots are located.

Hogo
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Its hard because of how the cliffs work. I might just leave this project alone as it seems its a giant fail..

Nikademis Von Hisson
General

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:03 am    Post subject: tf Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hogo wrote:
Its hard because of how the cliffs work. I might just leave this project alone as it seems its a giant fail..

dare to dream....failure is not an option. Just take your time and be patient.

wardeathfun
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hogo wrote:

You could always just do a different perspective to where instead of the players being top and bottom middle, you could have top right corner vs bottom left (or vice versa). It would be easier and could look just as good :)

Darkstorm
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You can find the TX at Strategy X. It's not being worked on right now but the downloads are intact.

Terrain Expansion Link

Nikademis Von Hisson
General

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:02 pm    Post subject: DL Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I posted a link with other CGEN stuff not only TX in an earlier post.

Orac
President

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is what I would envision, layout-wise. I'm not sure whether it's any help, but I think it shows the lay of the land fairly well.

The poopy brown is, obviously, the cliffs.

TwiFlaRA2.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  24.83 KB
 Viewed:  16560 Time(s)

TwiFlaRA2.png

Last edited by Orac on Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

FurryQueen
General

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That looks like a great layout. And it should be easy to create in FA2.

Steam

Hogo
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice one Orac Thanks alot, I am going to restart this based entirely on your layout as its a perfect map Very Happy

Last edited by Hogo on Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:37 am; edited 1 time in total

Orac
President

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

*Orac

Scorched Earth
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Whatever you say Orca.

Nikademis Von Hisson
General

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:13 am    Post subject: TF Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

funny thing is I never really paid any attention.......i thought it was Orca......Nice that you pointed it....

Hogo
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah my bad Embarassed

Orac
President

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

No worries Hogo - it was something I should have considered when choosing a nick. Smile

Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I do have to note that in the original design, the land slowly descends into the dry river bed, and not have cliffs around them. Only the area where the bridges are can be seen as cliffs. Just a thing I wanted to note when I saw Orac's design Wink

Hogo
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Okay I have updated the first post with a brand new Preview, I finally got TX working in the render thanks to Starkku thanks dude.

Okay so this is the first Stage I have finished took a while to get everything to a good proportions but there are things I want to ask First

Wood Or Concrete Bridges? I was feeling wood as its a desert style but the problem is then I couldn't use roads for it also.

I was thinking of adding ramps to the first two cliffs top and bottom, two along the long top two along the bottom to allow a entrance so the bridge doesn't get clogged.

Thanks for feedback
Rob/Hogo

FurryQueen
General

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Totally diggin' the restart. Very Happy

Steam

Orac
President

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dutchygamer wrote:
I do have to note that in the original design, the land slowly descends into the dry river bed, and not have cliffs around them. Only the area where the bridges are can be seen as cliffs. Just a thing I wanted to note when I saw Orac's design Wink

Yeah, I wasn't totally sure about it.
But I think it might work better as Hogo has it, which makes for more RA2 gameplay - a different type of spamming.

Scorched Earth
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow. So far, so good.

Krow
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hogo wrote:
I was feeling wood as its a desert style but the problem is then I couldn't use roads for it also.

Just use dirt roads. Wink

Hogo
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Krow wrote:
Hogo wrote:
I was feeling wood as its a desert style but the problem is then I couldn't use roads for it also.

Just use dirt roads. Wink

I Tried lol, they are so wtf? they are on weird tile sets that are hard to match up lol.

Thanks for the feedback all, Will be doing another big overhaul tonight.

Krow
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hogo
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Seems simple enough ;p adds some nice visual too I will do that during texture work later, I have decided to work in blocks.

I did the centre now I have textured it all and added Tech buildings, Now its time to do the next layer of cliffs

Hogo
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quick Update, Check the first post.
Spent 20 Minutes or so doing this cliff section let me know what you think, Details will be added when I have time tonight.

Feedback as always is welcome.
Rob/Hogo

Shadow Hunter
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OHHH, desert, now we are talking! =P

Anyways, looking great, you did the size proportiona? and again, great job.

Hogo
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

New Update, What dya think?

Volgin
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's massive.

I never played twilight flame, avoided symmetric generals maps like the plague. What's so good about this map, seriously? I'm genuinely curious and not trolling. It looks very generic to warrant such a huge fanbase.

FurryQueen
General

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's one of the better 8-player maps Generals has to offer. Of all of them, it's probably the most balanced and more varied than the others. Whiteout and Iron Dragon are pretty boring. This offers a bit more variety.

Steam

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm not sure if the remale should be this massive, though. Considering RA2 scale, the map looks like it was resized by 200%

Scorched Earth
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nah, keep it this big. It's amazing.

Orac
President

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's not that much bigger, really.
But it looks pretty good. The cliffs could still do with looking more rugged, but this is still a nice looking map.

m7
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is a pretty damn good map so far. Always loved Hogo's style.

Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon