Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:04 am
All times are UTC + 0
Light Post Lighting
Moderators: Global Moderators, Red Alert 2 Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
DaRTzO
Laser Commando

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:02 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

How did you get the light posts coloured light to look so smooth?

Aro
Alcohol Fueled

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Good values applied to the light post code in the map file. I know you're aiming to re-create such a smooth effect in RA2 so I'll tell you something for nothing: It won't happen due-to the larger cell size. RA2 is awful for light post usage.

m7
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Er...I wanna say Holy Master pulls of beautiful non-tiled lighting in Reign of Steel.

Starkku
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The larger the radius and lesser the intensity, the less it looks like tiled piece of shit.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID Twitter Channel URL
Holy_Master
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

m7 wrote:
Er...I wanna say Holy Master pulls of beautiful non-tiled lighting in Reign of Steel.

i just want to say i don't even intend to do that. since i have little knowledge about make up map. all i do just put default lighting that game already have to tiberium field. :p

and i dunno look from screensht above it look really good enough.

Last edited by Holy_Master on Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:46 pm; edited 2 times in total

Aro
Alcohol Fueled

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've seen tests regarding that of the increased Radius and decreased intensity, indeed, it looks much better, but still far from achieving the lighting in the above screenshots, in my opinion. However, just overcoming the tiled piece of shit is good enough.

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

quite offtopic, but can't Ra2 modder simply create a big alphaimage and then turn the red, green, blue channels on and off like the mirage tank weapon on the bright=yes light effect?
The alphaimage would then allow the smoothest lighting and even different shades in a single cell.

@TO: concerning the last picture, the buildings look really cool. Only the smoke anim could be a tad better (e.g. wider on the powerplant and in general a bit more shades of grey. looks like only one grey color is used)

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

ApolloTD
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

LKO, such light control is the combat light control (bright=yes) which has no radius parameter or duration control as it is strictly designed for a flash, it has nothing common with alphas but yes I use such blend in few impacts but its nothing you can apply in constant map lighting sense.

If want constant map light with coloring then need to use the normal building light codes aka tiled light, admittedly alpha could be mixed in to try smooth 'em but I doubt work as good as it could highlight the blending errors instead.

and yes, combatlight/normal lights tend to lag more than alphas do.

Aro
Alcohol Fueled

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

[Topic Split]

Orac
President

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I should have thought of that.

Anyway, I've found lightposts in RA2 to be just as shitty as everyone else seems to have, but so long as you keep them subtle (graduating only a small amount from the map lighting) they don't look too godawful.

DaRTzO
Laser Commando

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I got them to look perfect, barely any noticeable tiling. Only at the core of the light when the ore is harvested you can see a slight amount of tiling. Other then that they blend perfectly.

Thanks a lot for your help guys!

What I did was adjust map lighting to perfect levels that I desired for map colour and ambience, then I ported and tweaked light post settings and played around with them for a while to get a perfect blending effect. Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon