Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:40 pm
All times are UTC + 0
Tiberian Sun Trojan
Moderators: Global Moderators, Offtopic Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:10 pm    Post subject:  Tiberian Sun Trojan
Subject description: Either an infection or a stupid anti-virus soft
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I bought a used copy of TS around two weeks ago via eBay. The guy whom I bought and the product seemed perfectly legit, and now that I got the game, it looks fine too. However, once I had it installed and tried to play it, my anti-virus software alarmed me of some trojan called "Renos.gen!Q" in the game.exe. Happens with both CDs. I feel it's unlike that there is actually a trojan, plus my software has done false alarms before. Which should I trust?

gufu
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Seems to me like the CDs you've been given are possibly cracked.

But just to be sure, what Anti-Virus are you using?

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

gufu wrote:
Seems to me like the CDs you've been given are possibly cracked.

They are the real CDs, no burn copies or anything like that.

gufu wrote:
But just to be sure, what Anti-Virus are you using?

F-secure

^Rampastein
Rampastring

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You could send that Game.exe to them as a possible false-positive and see what they answer.

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I sent it to their sample analysis as false positive, it did spot the trojan at first, but then it showed me green light, saying "Known Clean" (whatever that means?) and "No Detection", so I guess it was a false positive after all.

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

what's the exact filesize of the game.exe?
There are only a limited number of correct sizes and if it contains additional code like a trojan, it will be surely bigger than the usual/known filesizes.

Or simply upload the exe here, so we can check it too.

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I thought so, but I already trust it was a false-positive. Exe size is 239 351 b, version 1.08

GAME.rar
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  GAME.rar
 Filesize:  85.69 KB
 Downloaded:  11 Time(s)

Last edited by Crimsonum on Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

what is that o.O?
I know that the CDs have some kind of compressed game.exe in which you can't find any keys in clear text.
But yours has a bit readable text, so i'm really not sure about this. these compressed exes are also not further compressable, while you managed it to get even smaller in the rar (as if it's only text).

Someone with an original CD should compare them again, as i have no access to the CDs right now.

at least it's completely different to the 1.08 version Hyper posted.

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well yeah, I noticed Hyper's was 3 Mb #Tongue

Team Black
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm just curious as to why you bought TS in the first place #Tongue
it's freeware you know.. but I'd understand if all you wanted was the discs

Tiberian Odyssey mapping department. Discord
The Team Black Index

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It costed me less than 3 € (+ shipping), and I wanted it for nostalgic reasons. Now I have the box to keep in my showcase #Tongue

^Rampastein
Rampastring

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Lin Kuei Ominae wrote:
what is that o.O?
I know that the CDs have some kind of compressed game.exe in which you can't find any keys in clear text.
The filesize of this EXE is so small that I doubt that it's the real TS executable, but an executable that is used to decrypt and load that compressed real executable.

For more info, check this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Safedisk#SafeDisc_.28V1.29
Quote:

And also by the existence of two files <GAME>.EXE and <GAME>.ICD (where <GAME> is replaced with the actual game's name).

The EXE executable is only a loader which decrypts and loads the protected game executable in the encrypted ICD file.

I can see a GAME.ICD in my TS folder, I guess that Westwood didn't bother updating the copy protection with their patches.

Btw, that EXE doesn't detect my original TS CD as a valid one.. I wonder if there were multiple different versions of it or something.

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh, yes, now that you mentioned it, my game.icd is around 3 Mb.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace! 

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum