Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:46 pm
All times are UTC + 0
RA2/YR/TS Blank Buttons-Invisible Video Fix
Moderators: Global Moderators, Red Alert 2 Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [42 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Machine
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:42 pm    Post subject:  RA2/YR/TS Blank Buttons-Invisible Video Fix
Subject description: for Windows 7 with intel HD graphic cards
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've had a bug with command and conquer games on my windows 7 laptop, making them barely playable, as the menu screens seem to not refresh. But that's no more, as I've finally found a solution, which I'm posting here for anyone who also has this problem.

First, right click on Desktop and select Screen Resolution.
Click Detect (with no additional monitor connected).
Next to your main display, there'll be a grey square (the unplugged second display) that sayd "Another display not detected".
Select the unplugged monitor button anyway.
Under "Multiple displays" it will say "No display detected".
Set the option to "Try to connect anyway on: VGA".
Select your main display, and set "Multiple displays" to "Extend these displays", finally apply the changes.
We're done with the screen resolution menu.

Open the Intel HD Graphics Settings, check the Advanced Mode.
Go to the energy options and set it to maximun performance.
Save your changes.

Start Red Alert 2, Yuri's Revenge, or Tiberian Sun, menus and videos should work properly now.

Krow
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks man! I can finally play YR again. Cookies for you. Very Happy

LH_Mouse
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Menu fix tool for win 7(for test only)

Run this program before starting the game. It will resident in the background and forces the DDraw driver to flush primary DDraw surface into VRAM.
After the game, you can press Ctrl+C or simply click the X in the upper right corner to close it.

[edit date="2015-07-11"]
I rebuilt this utility using mingw-w64-g++ statically. It should no longer ask for new versions of MSVC*.DLL, nor should it ask for libstdc++*.dll.
Since libstdc++ is LGPL'd, the built .exe file is also LGPL'd. But source.cpp is in the public domain.
[/edit]

menu fix 2015-07-11.7z
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  menu fix 2015-07-11.7z
 Filesize:  163.13 KB
 Downloaded:  2451 Time(s)

We will prevail!!!

Last edited by LH_Mouse on Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:41 am; edited 4 times in total

Krow
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It can't start. It says MSVCP100.dll is missing.

LH_Mouse
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

We will prevail!!!

Krow
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Now I'm getting another error. It says,
Quote:
The application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b). Click OK to close the application.
And gamemd.exe patch with NPAEExt have some problems using Machine's method. It loads fine, but then the game closes after the loading screen, didn't even get to the menu. Any idea?

LH_Mouse
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Reinstall Direct X 9.0c for win 7 and try again. DX11 seems to be short of some files of DX9(e.g. d3dx9_35.dll).

We will prevail!!!

Krow
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Still getting the same (0xc000007b) error.

LH_Mouse
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh, which program is it that causes the 0xc000007b error?

We will prevail!!!

Krow
Commander

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Actually, after I reinstalled the Microsoft Visual stuff you linked, it works now. And it works great! Thanks man. Very Happy

Krow
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Bumping this to request sticky because this fixes the menu problem with win7 laptops that have integrated Intel graphic card installed.

LH_Mouse
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I wonder whether Launch Base group is willing to include this patch in LB. (c++ src is available in the archive above.)

We will prevail!!!

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You don't need to... LB is in Visual Basic. and tbh, I dunno if it's codebase EVER get an update... there are some other such critical issues in it as well.

=======================
WeiDU mods: Random Graion Tweaks | Graion's Soundsets
Maintainance: Extra Expanded Enhanced Encounters! | BGEESpawn
Contributions: EE Fixpack | Enhanced Edition Trilogy | DSotSC (Trilogy) | UB_IWD | SotSC & a lot more...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID
Krow
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sticky please? Banshee? Other mods? Confused

Comr4de
Gauss Rifle Trooper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's already sticky you baka.

Krow
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My bad. Sorry.

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

Also Known As: banshee_revora (Steam)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Comr4de, his sticky request was done before it was stickied and, thanks to it and the importance of this information for laptop owners, it was stickied.

Comr4de
Gauss Rifle Trooper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My bad. I saw it stickied, and that reply as a new message.

yourpetcat
Civilian

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:27 am    Post subject: Re: RA2/YR/TS Blank Buttons-Invisible Video Fix Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Machine wrote:
I've had a bug with command and conquer games on my windows 7 laptop, making them barely playable, as the menu screens seem to not refresh. But that's no more, as I've finally found a solution, which I'm posting here for anyone who also has this problem.

First, right click on Desktop and select Screen Resolution.
Click Detect (with no additional monitor connected).
Next to your main display, there'll be a grey square (the unplugged second display) that sayd "Another display not detected".
Select the unplugged monitor button anyway.
Under "Multiple displays" it will say "No display detected".
Set the option to "Try to connect anyway on: VGA".
Select your main display, and set "Multiple displays" to "Extend these displays", finally apply the changes.
We're done with the screen resolution menu.

Open the Intel HD Graphics Settings, check the Advanced Mode.
Go to the energy options and set it to maximun performance.
Save your changes.

Start Red Alert 2, Yuri's Revenge, or Tiberian Sun, menus and videos should work properly now.

this isn't working I can't apply the extended display as it makes it so that I can't see anything on my desktop

Mav.EricK
a.k.a SuperMario649

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Is your monitor giving "Signal out of range"?.

http://www.ppmsite.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=458275#458275
=======================
Donut Arnold's great templates for TS and Ra2
http://www.ppmsite.com/forum/download.php?id=43817

4StarGeneral
General

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

He said "Anything on my desktop", not "anything at all". Luigis...

Make sure you set the main desktop (the left one) first before you hit apply, or it sets the main desktop off-screen, meaning it has none of your icons.

This works like a charm, but even after this, it still seems to run better on any other OS. #Tongue

Krow
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I found a simple fix for this. If you have a secondary graphic processor and it's NVIDIA, open it's control panel and select 'Manage 3D settings' on the left panel.
Open the 'Program Settings' tab and select either game.exe or gamemd.exe or both in the dropdown list. If it's not listed, you will need to add it into the list.
Change the preferred graphics processor to the secondary processor (not the integrated graphis).
Scroll down through the given settings until you come across 'Multi-display/mixed-GPU acceleration' and change the given setting to 'Single display performance mode'. Then you're done. Very Happy

Note: I don't know about other graphic processors, but I'm guessing they're quite similar. You just have to find that out yourself. #Tongue

Starkku
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Krow wrote:
I found a simple fix for this. If you have a secondary graphic processor and it's NVIDIA, open it's control panel and select 'Manage 3D settings' on the left panel.
Open the 'Program Settings' tab and select either game.exe or gamemd.exe or both in the dropdown list. If it's not listed, you will need to add it into the list.
Change the preferred graphics processor to the secondary processor (not the integrated graphis).
Scroll down through the given settings until you come across 'Multi-display/mixed-GPU acceleration' and change the given setting to 'Single display performance mode'. Then you're done. Very Happy

Note: I don't know about other graphic processors, but I'm guessing they're quite similar. You just have to find that out yourself. #Tongue

Probably not gonna help much, considering that this issue mostly plagues machines that only have (Intel) CPU with integrated GPU and no separate graphics card. I suppose it might work better than the other solution for those that do have a separate one, though, since the solution in first post has some minor, non-critical side effects.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID Twitter Channel URL
Krow
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Machine's method breaks my Star Wars Force Unleashed 2 mouse control, so I prefer to use Mouse's method and now I can use mine. Though I do agree it's useless to other people with no secondary graphic card, not much I can do about that.

Glukv48
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I propose a different (universal) way to solve this problem. I made a small package based on WineD3D and utilities MoveToTray. Just unzip the files in a folder with the game.
To start the game, use the run.bat. I configured it to run ra2md.exe, if you want to use this tool with RA2 or TS, then you have to replace 'ra2md.exe' run.bat in the corresponding *.exe file
WineD3D does not allow minimizing the game the classical way (Win or Alt+Tab). Therefore, in order to minimize the game, use the keyboard shortcut Ctrl+Alt+M. The game will be minimized to the system tray.

Edit: Also, it can take an adventure video mode at 16 bit color. In Windows8 it can be done in a setting compatibility ra2md.exe.

DDraw.dll_for_menu_bug.rar
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  DDraw.dll_for_menu_bug.rar
 Filesize:  730.61 KB
 Downloaded:  520 Time(s)

MasterZeroFlash
Civilian

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I am having a similar problem when trying to play the Mod/Standalone called "The Dawn of The Tiberium Age" (Graphics doesnt update when "ticking" boxes and it doesnt show when i move sliders either) and after lurking around their forum for a bit i got to this thread. Iv'e tried the different solutions in this thread:

The Menu fix by LH_Mouse fixed the "tick" and slider problems, but unfortunaely made everything else not update properly instead..

I tried the DDraw.dll_for_menu_bug fix by glukv48, but it didn't work (or i don't know if it did, because i wasn't able to launch the game at all when using it)

I also tried the fix by Machine and it fixed the problem, but seeing as it could screw up other things and the fact that the right side of my screen is now "borderless" (aka. Hey! Where did the cursor go?! DSmile, i don't really like to use it.

Now, i was wondering 4 things:

1. Does anyone know of any other "fix"?

2. Would it be possible to make a program/script that does the changes suggested by Machine, but that "resets" to the previous settings when the game and/or the program/script is exited?

3. Is anyone here having similar problems specifically with TDoTTA? Any fixes? Anything? (C&C1 and RA works fine, TS needed a little DDraw thingie called "TS Win8 Fix", but when trying it with TDoTTA, the makers of the mod have made it automatically delete the DDraw dll, saying something about it causing problems, so it didnt work either.)

4. @glukv48: Does this, "Just unzip the files in a folder with the game." mean that i should extraxt it to a folder inside the main folder of the actual game? or does it mean that i should just extract the files directly to the main folder of the game?
I did the first one and as i said before, it made it not launch at all. (I did ofc make sure that i made the neccesary changes to the bat file first)

Thanks for any answers!

Side-note: The reason why i'm asking if there is another fix is because of th reasons i mentioned earlier (The "anxiety" i feel when using that "fix" is greater than the "calmness" i feel from having fun with playing the mod, so i'm probably gonna "ditch" this mod if there is no other fix (at least until there is a fix from them, if there ever will be.)

I'm not new to C&C or computers in general, i am totally new to C&C Mods/modding though. I'm not much for programming either (Not that i can't, i've just never learned to program anything really). Oh..and as you probably have figured out already, i do indeed have an integrated Intel GPU.

EDIT/ADD: If anyone needs any additional information or clarification from me, just ask. :3
EDIT/ADD2: *Cough*
EDIT/ADD3: I apperantly do have a second Graphics card, a Radeon HD 6770 M (How the hell did i forget about that?!), anyway, i tried doing the fix suggested by Krow involving preferred GProcessor (as much as i could), but that did unfortunaely not work. >:

Glukv48
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

1.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  44.37 KB
 Viewed:  46413 Time(s)

1.png

DDraw.dll_for_menu_bug (DTA).rar
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  DDraw.dll_for_menu_bug (DTA).rar
 Filesize:  730.4 KB
 Downloaded:  332 Time(s)

MasterZeroFlash
Civilian

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Glukv48 wrote:
MasterZeroFlash, Read that. http://www.ppmsite.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=34845

EDIT: I made a set specifically for this mod. Try.

EDIT 2: If you do not understand in what folder to unpack, look at a screenshot.

Very HappyVery Happy Thanks!

Movies doesn't work now and it's a bit slow in the menues, + i can't use the DTA Launcher (According to the makers of DTA, the disable ddraw thingie is not compatible with DTA and deletes it, but if i for some reason need to use the launcher, i just extract that dll to there again afterwards, lol), but those are (at most) minor annoyances.

Thanks a bunch!
(I guess i did it wrong the first time then, i should have just extracted it all to the DTA folder instead of extracting it to a folder inside the DTA folder)

EDIT: Huh, now movies work and its not slow + the launcher doesnt say anything about ddraw. lolwut. It still works though Very Happy

EDIT2: And now the launcher complains about ddraw again. But i looked at the bat and saw that it copies the ddraw.dll to the folder everytime, so know i understand that i dont need to worry about ddraw being deleted, as long as i use your bat to start the game! Thanks again! Very Happy

(I wonder why the makers of the mod says its not compatible though O.o)

E1 Elite
General

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Though unrelated to graphic issues, searching for RA2 menu problem or invisible buttons leads to this thread,
so posting here.

In Windows 7,  Control Panel -> Display -> Text size has 3 options
Smaller - 100% (Default), Medium - 125% and Large 150%

Setting it to say Medium causes out of place scroller in options menu and button goes invisible in skirmish
map selection etc. in RA2/YR. Setting it to Smaller - 100% (Default) shows it properly.

DaRTzO
Laser Commando

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You could just apply compatibility options for the executables.

Right click (game.exe, ra2.exe) > Properties > Compatiblity > Disable display scaling on high DPI settings.

Glukv48
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DaRTzO, I tried it when something, and it did not help.

DaRTzO
Laser Commando

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I posted that for E1 Elite, can you check your other thread in the TS section. I replied to you.

Glukv48
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DaRTzO, I'm talking about scaling problems.

E1 Elite
General

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DaRTzO wrote:
You could just apply compatibility options for the executables.

Right click (game.exe, ra2.exe) > Properties > Compatiblity > Disable display scaling on high DPI settings.

Compatibility setting doesn't work for me, tried for all the 4 exe files - ra2(md).exe/game(md).exe.
Exe doesn't run at all. But there is no problem when it is set back to 100% dpi.

On 125% dpi, buttons, slider etc. are misplaced. On skirmish map selection, random button works as map
selection button. Random map fuctionionality is gone as the 2nd button dissappears, that is the only thing
I miss which anyhow I don't use it much.

DaRTzO
Laser Commando

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I guess the only way to fix that fully would be to re-save the  game's dialogues with auto-resizing turned off.

Glukv48
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DaRTzO, Do you know which attribute of the window to turn off the auto-resizing?

DaRTzO
Laser Commando

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Without having the source I don't know. I only got the idea from Visual Studio as it seems that every button and window element seems to be set to auto resize depending on font settings.

Not too sure if it's possible to edit this with a resource hacker, eg : ResHacker, ResEdit.

E1 Elite
General

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

With ResHacker, you can change the style for dialogs. Options dialog is at number 213 for gamemd.exe.
Tried several of them, I don't think any of them could handle high dpi.

DaRTzO
Laser Commando

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Like I said it's the default behaviour, if the elements in the window and including the window are set to NOT auto resize according to DPI then I assume that the problem would be solved as the interaction between the two would be removed.

Allied General
General

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Out of interest is your fix Glukv48 compatible with Ares?

Answered it myself - thanks Smile

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
LH_Mouse
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Rebuilt the program. See the post on 2012-04-22.

We will prevail!!!

NimoStar
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have win 7 and intel HD card in my laptop and never had this problem.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [42 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon