Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:40 am
All times are UTC + 0
Tutorial Requests
Moderators: Global Moderators, Media Hut Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [45 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Banshee
Supreme Banshee

Also Known As: banshee_revora (Steam)

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 2:39 pm    Post subject:  Tutorial Requests
Subject description: Post all your tutorial requests in this topic ONLY! Do not post them outside it.
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello everyone,

The Media Hut Tutorials forum is a place to share tutorials only. It is not a place to ask questions, request tutorials or ask where is a tutorial about something. You can ask questions and ask where you can find a tutorial about something at the Media Hut Forum only. If you have any requests for a tutorial, this is the only topic in this forum where you can do it. Simply post your reply with a tutorial request and pray for a good soul to make this tutorial for you. Thanks in advance for your cooperation.

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Could somebody create a tutorial about cameo backgrounds? That's a long, long trouble of mine.

=======================
WeiDU mods: Random Graion Tweaks | Graion's Soundsets
Maintainance: Extra Expanded Enhanced Encounters! | BGEESpawn
Contributions: EE Fixpack | Enhanced Edition Trilogy | DSotSC (Trilogy) | UB_IWD | SotSC & a lot more...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID
Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Can you explain this a little further?
I doubt you want a tutorial that describes how to take the blank backgrounds, then get the unit in voxel viewer into the right perspective (matching the background) and finally put the image of the unit on the background.

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

True, that's not the problem... the problem of mine is to how (where?) to get the blank background from.

OmegaBolt said getting random pics from landmarks are a good way, tho, and since then I had no time to try that out.

=======================
Contributions: EE Fixpack | Enhanced Edition Trilogy | DSotSC (Trilogy) | UB_IWD | SotSC & a lot more...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID
Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, for the TS there is the blank cameo pack available and for any other game a downscaled random landscape image is indeed a good start.

Aro also posted some blank backgrounds a while ago on tibweb.

If you want really custom and maybe even interacting backgrounds (means, shadow casting on and half covering the shown unit), then imo the best is to create them in 3d together with the unit model.

Public SHPs

Tools

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Uh-huh, so landscape. Yeah, that was the word I always forgot.

Thanks, it helped.

=======================

Mav.EricK
a.k.a SuperMario649

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So I can post 3dsmax tutorials here?
one problem though, I need a video sharing website other than YouTube, I have a good tutorial for beginners.

http://www.ppmsite.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=458275#458275
=======================
Donut Arnold's great templates for TS and Ra2
http://www.ppmsite.com/forum/download.php?id=43817

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

Also Known As: banshee_revora (Steam)

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Of course you can post 3ds max tutorials here. The 3D graphics in the forum rules clearly states it.

And, which video sharing website do you need? Currently we support moddb and youtube. But we can support other video sharing website movies under request.

psydev
Civilian

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Can anyone explain to me how to conver voxels into .SHPs? I would like to convert RA 2 / TS units into RA / TD units.
Presumably one can rotate the voxel unit at a given angle and get a desired set of images? If I had 32 rotations of a unit at a consistent angle in .PNG format, I could then easily make a .SHP out of it.
Has this been done? Is it easy?

Atomic_Noodles
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

psydev wrote:
Can anyone explain to me how to conver voxels into .SHPs? I would like to convert RA 2 / TS units into RA / TD units.
Presumably one can rotate the voxel unit at a given angle and get a desired set of images? If I had 32 rotations of a unit at a consistent angle in .PNG format, I could then easily make a .SHP out of it.
Has this been done? Is it easy?

That would the most obvious course of action.

Another trick I could suggest is after normalizing the voxels. And if you want proper lighting similar to a normal voxel. You could use ROT=1 and TurretSpins=yes on that unit. Then take a screenshot of it for every direction.

Do this for the Turret and the Chassis, For the Chassis you might want to draw out the Shadows as well for later when you'll be converting it into a SHP.

Cranium
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Currently, Banshee is still working on improving VxlseIII. You can at this point convert vxl to 3d using VxlseIII "saves it as .obj I think" but it still has a couple of quirks that he's working on at the moment. Download the application if you dont have it and give it a try. The results arent bad at all as it is now. You can find it in the C&C Tools forum. After converting to 3d, just render them and use shpbuilder to make it a .shp

Make sure to have the latest driver update for your vid card Wink

The enemy shall be injected with toxic poison - Venom

psydev
Civilian

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for your guys' replies. I've never done 3D modelling before but I was going to check out Google Sketchup later today and see about designing some units for myself and converting them to .SHP.
But I was wondering, is there a more direct way to just convert a voxel to a .SHP, entering just a tiny bit of information (like, the angle you want so that it's not top-down, and how many rotations, etc.)? I was hoping someone had made an app or feature to quickly do this.

Atomic_Noodles wrote:

Another trick I could suggest is after normalizing the voxels. And if you want proper lighting similar to a normal voxel. You could use ROT=1 and TurretSpins=yes on that unit. Then take a screenshot of it for every direction.

Sorry, I don't know what normalizing means. In what program would I want to be doing this in?

Atomic_Noodles
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

psydev wrote:

Sorry, I don't know what normalizing means. In what program would I want to be doing this in?

Normals are the lighting used by Voxels in Red Alert 2 or Tiberian Sun. You can apply normals via Voxel Editors.

Without Normals added, Voxels (Vehicles usually) will look flat and have no proper lighting.

Sir Shockwave
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Another couple of ideas that have been trimming around my head lately.

- SHP conversion. My suggestion would be TS to RA2 for these purposes - it's something I can never get right, especially when making an Infantry Sequence from scratch (I blame Technology).

- Altering the lighting for RA2. I don't just mean the ExtraXGlow functions - I mean for the terrain and everything else. Starkku managed to do it for Project Phantom, though I suspect he didn't do that, but altered terrain textures instead.

Starkku
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sir Shockwave wrote:
especially when making an Infantry Sequence from scratch.

Well regarding the sequences, MedalMonkey posted an excerpt from old art(md).ini modding guide a while ago, detailing the infantry sequences specifically. Can be found here. It's pretty straightforward if you ask me.

Sir Shockwave wrote:
Starkku managed to do it for Project Phantom, though I suspect he didn't do that, but altered terrain textures instead.

Combination of that and palette editing. I wouldn't consider palette editing warranting an entire tutorial to itself, considering that simple brightness, saturation & hue changes are trivial enough using various image editing programs, you only need to edit an image with palette applied to it while preserving the palette, and then create a new palette from the edited image. Of course this approach also has it's disadvantages and limitations, so the way to go (and what I've been doing for a good while now) would be creating new terrain etc. artwork from scratch, if the stock game graphics are not satisfying enough.

While it's pretty much impossible to change the actual lighting-related game mechanics, the perception of the in-game lighting is influenced by many things, such as the ExtraXGlow values, map lighting values, VPL color table for voxels, palettes used and obviously the actual graphics themselves.

Last edited by Starkku on Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID Twitter Channel URL
Mrghost33
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello everyone,
I'm new to modding and mapping so i have a quick question.

How do you add custom text in-game for Red alert 2.
Example: GI: Hello

I'm trying to make a custom map and i want some custom text for it. Thanks for the help.
-Matt

Sir Shockwave
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Starkku wrote:
Combination of that and palette editing. I wouldn't consider palette editing warranting an entire tutorial to itself, considering that simple brightness, saturation & hue changes are trivial enough using various image editing programs, you only need to edit an image with palette applied to it while preserving the palette, and then create a new palette from the edited image. Of course this approach also has it's disadvantages and limitations, so the way to go (and what I've been doing for a good while now) would be creating new terrain etc. artwork from scratch, if the stock game graphics are not satisfying enough.

While it's pretty much impossible to change the actual lighting-related game mechanics, the perception of the in-game lighting is influenced by many things, such as the ExtraXGlow values, map lighting values, VPL color table for voxels, palettes used and obviously the actual graphics themselves.

While possible, things like editing the lighting sound like it could warrant something. Also, things like how big the new texture should be, what format it should be saved under etc, etc.

Starkku
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sir Shockwave wrote:

While possible, things like editing the lighting sound like it could warrant something. Also, things like how big the new texture should be, what format it should be saved under etc, etc.

Well there isn't really 'textures' in RA2/YR in the same fashion as in the newer 3D engine games. While world could definitely do with some sort of terrain-making tutorial, the big problem there would be judging where it stops being solely about TS/RA2/YR terrain-making and going into general image editing/graphics creation etc, considering that's a pretty HUGE part of making terrain graphics. And covering all of that in a single tutorial might just be impossible.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID Twitter Channel URL
Krow
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Terrain making/ editing is basically just editing the images you have with photoshop and other editors. You could try that, or use 3d models. Use the renders of your model and integrate them into your new tmp file.

Nikademis Von Hisson
General

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

what do you want to know about terrain editing? i have been working on new things

Check out my sig, there is a link to some things passed on to me.

http://www.ppmsite.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27714

Krow
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Since we're talking about terrains, what are the zdata stuff exactly?

Starkku
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Krow wrote:
Since we're talking about terrains, what are the zdata stuff exactly?

I don't really know about the inner workings of the engine, but to my understanding it's some sort of image mask for drawing engine depth emulation. Basically without proper ZData you get bugs, like clipping and overlapping.

It's automatically generated for flat tiles by TMP Builder. For any tile extra images (or even flat tiles if you insist on using XCC TMP Editor for those too), you'd need to do it manually. TMP Builder does not support manual ZData editing AFAIK. In all WW terrain tiles, extra image ZData consists of white/gray gradients in the shape of the extra image with bright red background when viewed in XCC TMP Editor. I am not sure if it actually requires that special gradient coloring, or is it enough to just use different color for BG, and different color for extra image shape, as I have tiles in my mod that work just fine with such ZData.

This is starting to go way off-topic though...

Last edited by Starkku on Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:36 am; edited 1 time in total

Nikademis Von Hisson
General

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

its metal marios that help with the zdata, check out the link i posted in sig. post question on terrain in my sig topic. if Zdata is not present in the tile when you play ingame the new tile appears black somes times or get a funny image

http://www.ppmsite.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27714

Nolt
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So, are there any other c&c related 3ds max tutorials? What about importing scenes to any of the games? What about 3ds to shp? I can't find much.

Creator of Shattered Paradise .
ORA Discord https://discordapp.com/invite/tuhp9m6 , SP Discord https://discord.gg/hk428Wk

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Scenes are afaik nowhere imported. Especially not in TS/RA2 as there is no 3D data. In the newer 3D engine C&Cs you also don't import a complete scene afaik, but only models that you exported from 3dsmax into the game specific 3d-file-format.

how to create SHP units with 3dsmax

It's basically nothing else than render an animation into single images. Then convert the images with SHP Builder (or XCC Mixer) into an SHP.

Public SHPs

Tools

Nolt
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Forgot we had a big tutorials section here, dammit google didn't reminded me of that, thanks.

Creator of Shattered Paradise .
ORA Discord https://discordapp.com/invite/tuhp9m6 , SP Discord https://discord.gg/hk428Wk

warlock
AA Infantry

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello there... Well I'm using "C&C: Rewire" terrain (I asked to gangster)... So I like to know if its possible to have blue tiberium trees (those bluish big crystals)... If it's please show me how... Smile

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail YouTube User URL Skype Account AIM Address
Frikandel
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I hope I will not get slapped on the wrist again for posting in a dead thread.
But the subtext told me to post here and no where else, so here goes...

Can anyone help me with a tutorial that helps me to use colorpallets?
I am trying to make a loadscreen but because of the various pallets nothing comeout the way i want it.

example. I am making a dutch loadscreen and I altered the french one using those colors. Now when I try to add a dutch flag they flag turns out gray.
Also while using this in the game itself everyting is way to purple.

I hope someone can help me!
Please?

Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Can you tell me what programs you are using & what you have tried so far? This thread might help tho.

A bit off topic but IMO this thread is kinda redundant & its better if people just ask question(s) in the editing forum rather then requesting a tutorial.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
Frikandel
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mig Eater wrote:
Can you tell me what programs you are using & what you have tried so far? This thread might help tho.

A bit off topic but IMO this thread is kinda redundant & its better if people just ask question(s) in the editing forum rather then requesting a tutorial.

I am doing nothing fancy. For the actuall editing i am using photoshop5.5.
And for the rest i use Xcc. I am just having trouble finding tutorials about this. Finding a way how to use the pallet function in xcc is hard, I am still very new to this.

But i'll try the link you gave first. Maybe that will help.

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So your problem is not the palette with bad colors in it, but the right usage of XCC Mixer and having the right palette selected for import.
All Palettes for XCC Mixer
In case your XCC Mixer doesn't find the right palettes

XCC mixing 101
In case you have trouble working with XCC Mixer

As an alternative, you can use SHP Builder (see modding Tools). It has a detailed menu when importing images, that allows you to select the palette. Or just copy paste your image into SHP Builder, where SHP Builder would then simply use the selected palette for the currently loaded SHP.

The TS Tutorials Factory and RA2 Tutorials Vault have plenty topics that might help too.

Public SHPs

Tools

PussyPus
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I need a tutorial for creating .shp files for westwood 2D engine games (tiberium dawn & red alert 1).

kenosis
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Skype Account Yahoo Messenger Account
PussyPus
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just wanted to request on how to make the same voice and sound quality as in both RA2/TS using sound forge or audacity.

UNSC THE CHILL OF WAR
Combat Engineer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Request:
How to convert sketchup models into shp units (with preferably the least amount of programs used/needed)

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

-google "render sketchup" and use one of the thousand ways to do this (Hint: add the word "tutorial" to your search keywords)
-then create a render setup like described here to make camera and lighting match ingame setup

Public SHPs

Tools

Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My method: Sketchup > Export 3DS > Render in 3DS Max.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
MidianIncognito

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Request:
How to add a new country and a new country Flag/loading screen in skirmish?

i'm just trying to modified my own Yuri's revenge for private fun used and
please not make it a bit complicated that i'm already confused on should i make a Expand.Mix? or copy all the files in the directory.

Stew Pid
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:16 am    Post subject:  Convert SHP or Voxel Tutorial for Civilization 3 Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There are not many Civilization 3 veterans left around these days but I see plenty of vets from PPM still thrive in the C&C modding community.

Since some people here have threads about converted units from civ 3 or from mods for civ 3 to use here I was hoping someone can make a tutorial on how to convert SHPs or Voxels from C&C or related games into units for Sid Meier's Civilization 3 conquests.

I have many of the Civilization 3 unit making tools and other graphics third party programs like Gimp, Poser, Paint Shop Pro 9, etc.

warlock
AA Infantry

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:44 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello, is been a while since I was in this community, vanished for a few years, but now I'm back. So to start my return I'm looking for some Tutorial or explanation about resizing RA2 SHP's to TS size to make them fit in the Tiberian Sun concept. Is there any easy or medium way of doing it without damaging the quality of the SHP's to much? Please if there is tell me the way. Why? Well I'm trying to do some sort of mod for TS. Thanks in advance!  Very Happy

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail YouTube User URL Skype Account AIM Address
XxpeddyxX
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

warlock wrote:
Hello, is been a while since I was in this community, vanished for a few years, but now I'm back. So to start my return I'm looking for some Tutorial or explanation about resizing RA2 SHP's to TS size to make them fit in the Tiberian Sun concept. Is there any easy or medium way of doing it without damaging the quality of the SHP's to much? Please if there is tell me the way. Why? Well I'm trying to do some sort of mod for TS. Thanks in advance!  Very Happy
Minimal effort would be to use SHP builder and play around reducing them by 15-20%, it will definitely lose quality but should be okay at TS resolution. I did this with RA2 explosions and they look fine.

Of course you could always use Photoshop but that requires effort..

ayylmao on Discord

warlock
AA Infantry

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

XxpeddyxX wrote:
warlock wrote:
Minimal effort would be to use SHP builder and play around reducing them by 15-20%, it will definitely lose quality but should be okay at TS resolution. I did this with RA2 explosions and they look fine.

Of course you could always use Photoshop but that requires effort..

Right... So photoshop wise, you know to do it? Or at least what steps I need to follow? Same goes to vxl's though?

Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If you use Photoshop you can use a custom Action script to resize & save each frame with a single click.

J!NX
Civilian

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Are there workflow tutorials, for voxel art? I am just getting started with pixel art, hoping it can translate some skills, but have done 3D a lot in the past. What are some common workflows for voxel unit creation?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hello im looking for a tuturial how to make a country flag...i try to make one bybeditig the existing flag and save as newone bu the problem is it turned black and white ingame im using osshpbuilder.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [45 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace!