Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:35 am
All times are UTC + 0
[RA2/YR] Creating Cameos from Voxels for Voxel Units
Moderators: Global Moderators, Red Alert 2 Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 2 [55 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Atomic_Noodles
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 6:57 pm    Post subject:  [RA2/YR] Creating Cameos from Voxels for Voxel Units
Subject description: Image Heavy...
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well I guess i'll get started on this tutorial. Cameos is a bit of a double-edged sword. Most often you'll be having to use a bit of your imagination on creating them or touching up cameos. For this tutorial I'll be using my Athena Cannon. Do note this is how I make my cameos some people may have different approaches but so far this way has seem to do good for me.

For this Tutorial I shall be using Photoshop CS5, but I think GIMP may also suffice...

1) Find a suitable background.

For this Tutorial I shall be using this Image:

2) Next make a voxel with all the parts of your unit in it. In my case a turret and the chassis. Go to the Display 3D Window and change the House Color to the side of your choice. (More often than not you may opt to instead recolor these to the same hue of your unit itself.)

3) After you've done these two it's time to start work on the actual cameo. Start cropping & resizing your background to exactly 60x48. This is the standard Cameo Size.

4) Now remember that screenshot of the Voxel. This time remove everything else that you do not need and copy that over to the 60x48 image. Resize to the appropriate size of your choice.

From here I usually make 3 copies of the Unit. Layered from Top to Bottom:

Resized with Gaussian Blur (25% opacity)
Resized with Blur Effect (50% opacity)
Resized with Sharpen Effect
Resized

You should now end up with something like this:

5) Next add a shadow layer, The Shadow Layer is a jet black color with opacity set to 50-65% usually.

Also I've opted to touch up the background by namely adding a sunlight from the top left corner for the shadow to seem more believable.

It should now look something close to this:

6) Next step is to apply the same glass effect as per Red Alert 2 Style. I've made my own version of it with the Transparency set up already so you just need to copy this over as the top-most layer for now. (Original Glass Effect is somewhere here in PPM)

All that's left now is to add in the Text and the Text Bar. Download the Template somewhere in PPM (Again...Sorry I can't remember Laughing ) Write up the name accordingly to your unit's name. Remember name's are all centered and are 1 pixel off from the bottom. The Upper Text is always pure white and the Bottom Text has the shading.

The Chevron is 2 pixels off from the top and top-left.

Here we have the pre-final version:

All that's left now is to export this into SHP Builder.

And here it is as exported using the RA2 Cameo Palette... with some touch-ups of course.

As SHP Builder isn't always that great, results may vary greatly from what you want and as always this is a trial-and-error thing so don't get disappointed too much.... With Ares you may opt to use PCX instead which allows you to keep the details of the original image.

Hope this helps.  Razz

Key Words: #Tutorials #SHPs #Cameos #Graphics #Media #Photoshop #GIMP #OSSHPBuilder #RedAlert2 #YurisRevenge #OpenRA 

Last edited by Atomic_Noodles on Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:15 pm; edited 2 times in total

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Usually a frog's-eye-view works best for big and mighty units. I'd also recommend some touch-ups in photoshop like making the windows look more realistic (i.e. not black).

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Some suggestions and my own method:

1) You should also draw shadow on the voxel, otherwise it just looks flat (obviously).

2) I personally also apply a scratchy metal texture (screen blend) as a cheap way of getting extra detail.

3) Then if there are any tracks visible I use a track texture and morph it to the right shape to fit the voxel.

I have also attached a copy of a PSD as example.

cameo_example.png
 Description:
results
 Filesize:  15.09 KB
 Viewed:  66978 Time(s)

cameo_example.png

Cameo_Example.rar
 Description:
PSD example

Download
 Filename:  Cameo_Example.rar
 Filesize:  329.23 KB
 Downloaded:  950 Time(s)

Last edited by OmegaBolt on Sat May 12, 2012 8:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

m7
Commander

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is a good basic cameo tutorial, that would work best if you redid all your voxels to match. I think you should do the effort to find the photoshop element you used or upload it (with proper credit given) so that people can easily use your tutorial.

Earthman
Soldier

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OmegaBolt wrote:
Some suggestions and my own method:

1) You should also draw shadow on the voxel, otherwise it just looks flat (obviously).

2) I personally also apply a scratchy metal texture (screen blend) as a cheap way of getting extra detail.

3) Then if there are any tracks visible I use a track texture and morph it to the right shape to fit the voxel.

I have also attached a copy of a PSD as example.

OmegaBolt !!! I tried making Cameo by many ways , but they weren't looked realistic like your owns . Could you create a guide for that ??? Smile

Atomic_Noodles
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

As stated, on its own the Voxel will still look... voxelly. Usually you'll need to touch it up yourself with your own brush strokes dabbled here and there. The One I posted is a pretty quick one with some very few brush strokes here and there.

A final one usually has alot of layers with it. So it does take time. This one I made is just a quick one which should be sufficient enough for most basic voxels.

Another tip I may suggest is coloring the Sections you want to the appropriate hue you want before resizing the Screen Captured Voxel as it may prove to be more difficult when recoloring it after the downscaling.

DaRTzO
Laser Commando

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I read the points in this guide and took a quick screen capture at an angle I thought might look good, though later on I realized that it's not right.

Still for testing purposes I did some editing of the tank image and placed it over the same background used by the op.

I manually added some shadows and adjusted brightness and contrast of the layers to what I thought were good values.

Here's the end result.

Atomic_Noodles
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Looks nice, although the Text is covering some of the Voxel and the Voxel is on the wrong perspective. But overall it's okay, just needs to be in the right perspective and it'll be perfect.

Sir Shockwave
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Many thanks Noodles for a most useful Tutorial. I'll see what I can come up with X3

Earthman
Soldier

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

@Noodles : Could u show me the way to make a Cameo like OmegaBolt's owns in above post ? Thanks alots Smile

Sir Shockwave
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here's a quick something I hammered together. I couldn't find all the functions you listed however, so I had to cut corners. The final text had to be edited in SHP Builder.

Also, I used the Voxol Viewer rather than the 3D Viewer in the editor. Couldn't find a way to paste the turret into the same voxol without getting an internal system error.

Speeder
Commander

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

With such positioning text will cover 40% of the unit itself.. what do you need so much sky for? Move the whole picture up, unit should be in the middle of the cameo, not at the bottom.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
Krow
Commander

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Shouldn't this be in the media hut tutorial?

Atomic_Noodles
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

On Step 4, Opacity is specified in the Layer's Window. From 0-100% with 100% being solid and lesser being more transparent.

Gaussian Blur,Blur are in (Filters -> Blur) Tab in the Top Windows

The Same goes with the Sharpness Effect (Filters -> Sharpen)

To save to as a 8-bit PCX hover over to (Image -> Mode)
In there the settings should be set as Indexed, 8-bit.

Exact Palette
Colors: 256
Forced: Primaries

Then Save As : PCX

Starkku
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Atomic_Noodles wrote:

Even though it might not have noticeable effect, this is a stupid move since it forces the primary colors (you don't say?) into the palette, possibly wasting good color slots that could've been used for something else.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID Twitter Channel URL
DaRTzO
Laser Commando

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

In other words you're losing quality? #Tongue

This is a good tutorial and explains rather clearly how to make good looking cameos on your own.

@ Earthman. If you're incapable of following and learning how to make cameos of any style from this it's your own fault.

Just try out different methods and experiment.

EVA-251
General

Also Known As: evanb90

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Interesting. I could help you build on to this tutorial. Know a thing or two about voxel cameos. :>

Atomic_Noodles
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Starkku wrote:
Atomic_Noodles wrote:

Even though it might not have noticeable effect, this is a stupid move since it forces the primary colors (you don't say?) into the palette, possibly wasting good color slots that could've been used for something else.

Oh yeah, sorry about that. I just usually forget that mine is set to Primary by default. But yeah Forced:None is the best choice.

Everybody can help in on this tutorial. After all this is for the betterment of everyone's mods after all. Smile

Orac
President

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Don't allied vehicles have a green colour in camoes?

Atomic_Noodles
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Orac wrote:
Don't allied vehicles have a green colour in camoes?

I'm making them Blue in my Mod. Laughing

Earthman
Soldier

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks alot. And here's my first one Razz . It's looking good ? huh ? Razz

Yuri Land Staker.rar
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Yuri Land Staker.rar
 Filesize:  41.22 KB
 Downloaded:  448 Time(s)

Aro
Alcohol Fueled

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's looking... something...

SMIFFGIG
General

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Earthman wrote:

No
I can't even make out what it is, its just a mess of colours

OmegaBolts look good though

Atomic_Noodles
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

@ Earthman,The Cameo looks too blurry like something from jpeg. When saving images for preview use PNG or GIF, Jpeg has a known tendency to distort images.

@ Sir Shockwave usually I make a dummy voxel unit which has all the sections of the unit.

You can import a section in VXLSEIII under (Section -> New -> Import from another Model) Then just add the Turret or whatever you need added.

Then open HVA Builder to adjust the hva of the unit. You can do a screenshot from there (I just use Print Screen Button) then paste that into a new file in photoshop.

That's how I got the turret into the Athena Cannon Cameo.

Earthman
Soldier

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks all Razz

@Noodle : I made it from the vxl's turret. So , the object in the icon is the big turret Very Happy. I made it as *.jpg , rename it's to 0000.jpg and then import it in to SHP Builder. I did by that way because i have a problem with the text , if i made it by Paint Shop Pro , the text will be 7 pixels height. But add the text will take much time Sad
Until now , I don't know how to make a icon like OmegaBolt's one Confused
I like that vxl style...huhuhuhu .

Sir Shockwave
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Atomic_Noodles wrote:
@ Sir Shockwave usually I make a dummy voxel unit which has all the sections of the unit.

You can import a section in VXLSEIII under (Section -> New -> Import from another Model) Then just add the Turret or whatever you need added.

Then open HVA Builder to adjust the hva of the unit. You can do a screenshot from there (I just use Print Screen Button) then paste that into a new file in photoshop.

That's how I got the turret into the Athena Cannon Cameo.

Thanks for the heads up...though I think HVA Builder has broke. Again.

Nyerguds
General

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Earthman wrote:

You may want to save preview images as png, not jpeg.

Earthman
Soldier

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks u so much Smile . I'll try doing by other ways...

Earthman
Soldier

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here are my 2nd time cameos.

Razz

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Much better, if you ask me. Top right seems good.

=======================
WeiDU mods: Random Graion Tweaks | Graion's Soundsets
Maintainance: Extra Expanded Enhanced Encounters! | BGEESpawn
Contributions: EE Fixpack | Enhanced Edition Trilogy | DSotSC (Trilogy) | UB_IWD | SotSC & a lot more...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID
OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey they don't look too bad at all. The top right as Graion said looks best to me, although the unit needs a bit of sharpening.

Earthman
Soldier

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks u all Razz . I have made some color styles of it. Could u help me choose any one of them for Cameo ? Razz

Earthman
Soldier

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Why my avatar name is "Vehicle thief" Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

Also Known As: banshee_revora (Steam)

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ROFL! These ranks are just based on PPM: Final Dawn units. After some posts, your rank will become the name of another unit. In short, nothing personal.

Earthman
Soldier

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh yes ! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

For fitting with currently Sov cameos the bottom right would probably work best.

Earthman
Soldier

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah .So the bottom right will be my Cameo Very Happy

Thanks..

Sir Shockwave
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I had another go at the tutorial. I'm still dealing with malfunctioning technology, but I decided to apply the same process to something a little different.

I ended up using Auto Sharpen as my photoshop doesn't appear to have a Sharpen filter. It still seems to look okay though.

Atomic_Noodles
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sir Shockwave wrote:
I had another go at the tutorial. I'm still dealing with malfunctioning technology, but I decided to apply the same process to something a little different.

I ended up using Auto Sharpen as my photoshop doesn't appear to have a Sharpen filter. It still seems to look okay though.

That's strange for me the Smart Sharpen is listed in a dropdown from the Filter Effects i.e: (Filter - Sharpen - [Various Filter Types])

Maybe make the Zeppelin bigger. (Like the Kirov Cameo)

Earthman
Soldier

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Give me the Screen shot from Hva Builder or Vxl Editor of that Unit. I want to try to make cameo for it. Very Happy

Bu7loos
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My own Edit #Tongue Ra2 with Ra3 style but Ra3 Style need a custom plate which is supported by ARES and also supports PCX which makes the job alot Easier.

Test-4.png
 Description:
With Bevel.
 Filesize:  9.23 KB
 Viewed:  66079 Time(s)

Test-4.png

Test-2.png
 Description:
With Out Bevel.
 Filesize:  9.17 KB
 Viewed:  66087 Time(s)

Test-2.png

Untitled-1.png
 Description:
Standered Ra2.
 Filesize:  6.74 KB
 Viewed:  66087 Time(s)

Untitled-1.png

Earthman
Soldier

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cool cameos Smile . I think i should learn u more Smile

Natit_Titan
Grenadier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I get ideas from the final war, but when add original text, cameo is too large Sad

cameo.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  9.48 KB
 Viewed:  66009 Time(s)

cameo.png

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't want to get "heavy" but did modder666 allow you to use that cameo template? I'd rather it was Final War exclusive as long as modder wants it, unless he gave you permission.

Not sure what you mean though about adding text.

DaRkGlAcEoN
Rocket Cyborg

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks, this was helpful

4StarGeneral wrote:
I CAN USE CAPS TOO, HOW DOES IT FEEL?

Zero18
Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I made two cameos of my own. And test it to see how it looks inside the game, but apparently I forgot how to make it fit to the right palette. It shows weird color. I can't believe I forgot how to do it... I need someone to tell me how to fix it.

And by the way, how does my cameos looks? Is it good?

HurricaneImage.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  2.19 KB
 Viewed:  62848 Time(s)

HurricaneImage.png

PrismTank.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  2.42 KB

PrismTank.png

CameoError.png
 Description:
ERROR1
 Filesize:  3.73 KB

CameoError.png

DaRkGlAcEoN
Rocket Cyborg

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

They're not bad. Better than what I can do. Laughing

m7
Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

@Natit_Titan: Me not answering the PM doesn't give you consent to imitate my graphic style for cameos (which, btw, you're missing a lot to achieve the same look) so I would appreciate it if you didn't use that in a public mod.

This thread is good, I'll have to upload something similar on how I work on my cameos and then the community can give me the feedback received here.

freedom fighter
General

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

@Zero18: Your palette should be Red Alert 2 --> cameo.pal if you're not using custom palettes.

Atomic_Noodles
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've been meaning to update this for a long time but haven't had the time to do so though... If you need a glass template download the Cameo Package i also put up in here.

Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon