Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:45 pm
All times are UTC + 0
So Ares is nearly dead
Moderators: Global Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 4 [179 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
SMIFFGIG
General

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:28 pm    Post subject:  So Ares is nearly dead Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There doesnt seem to be a forum anymore... which is odd

I can't even find any sort of readme of in depth description of Ares, what it is, features, future etc on the page... Maybe its hidden somewhere. All seems quite confusing for laymen.

Either way it looks like the last big thing for RA2 modding is nearly dead Sad

http://ares.strategy-x.com/

Speeder
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yea, this is what I have in my signature a close week now, but I waited for someone else to point it out. I consider it more worse than Gen2 change.

Either way, since the topic came up.

I will probably abandon my User Support Agent role there and keep my position as a beta tester / step-in coder. There are just no users to support at all. Considering the delay about that news popped up here.... I think I can simply say it out that the community does not care about Ares nowadays. I'm not sure if it ever did.

=======================
WeiDU mods: Random Graion Tweaks | Graion's Soundsets
Maintainance: Extra Expanded Enhanced Encounters! | BGEESpawn
Contributions: EE Fixpack | Enhanced Edition Trilogy | DSotSC (Trilogy) | UB_IWD | SotSC & a lot more...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID
Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Graion Dilach wrote:
I think I can simply say it out that the community does not care about Ares nowadays. I'm not sure if it ever did.

Community? Care? Those two words are entirely foreign to my ears.

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

Also Known As: banshee_revora (Steam)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If you guys need some unoficial place to discuss Ares, PPM is at your disposal.

I know there is a release candidate of 0.2 released last month, but I didn't post news about it for the same reason I haven't posted any other news. My damn master dissertation. Nothing personal.

Cranium
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I dont think it's "The Community dosent care or ever did", its more, we all got older, got jobs, which leads to lack of time. Lack of time to participate being the key here.
I had every entention to be by ares side. I even taught myself c++ "sad I never had the chance to test my skills with ares", but times changed, things got busy. Life happened.

The enemy shall be injected with toxic poison - Venom

Nikademis Von Hisson
General

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cranium wrote:
I dont think it's "The Community dosent care or ever did", its more, we all got older, got jobs, which leads to lack of time. Lack of time to participate being the key here.
I had every entention to be by ares side. I even taught myself c++ "sad I never had the chance to test my skills with ares", but times changed, things got busy. Life happened.

LOL.....so true, but I still play video games.....damn those who think its a waste of time....

http://www.ppmsite.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27714

ViPr
Gauss Rifle Trooper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm quite old now and don't play games very much but I intend to rebuild the C&C games from scratch someday, not just hack and modify them. If I don't play games very much anymore it's probably because those games have gotten old to me and not because I'm getting old. I'll probably get fully back into gaming again when the technology jumps again which will probably happen when the next Xbox and Playstation are released.

Ixonoclast
General

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, if oil paintings and screen printing could turn into code, I'd love to help but hey... I can't code.

This sucks.

I mean, I am planning on using Ares in the near future for a project.

Regulus
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

They want coders to help with CnC modding, which I understand. However, CnC modding is not really a coding man's modable game. They need coders, they need to look outside the community. We have huge amounts of voxel and shp artists, but besides those involved in Ares and a select few here, there aren't any coders. It's like deep sea fishing in a lake. What the hell did you expect?

Speeder
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

They didn't need coders, they needed modders. Testers who would check how and if certain features work, what doesn't and all that stuff. In the end, there was/is a small group of people who regularly did most of the tests, not enough to find all issues in a decent time. 0.2 has been in testing phase for ages now.

Now, Ares needs coders too.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
Ixonoclast
General

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'll happily do some tests, when I have finished putting down a techtree that is.

Mrghost33
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I would be happy to help too.

Earthman
Soldier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Never give up

Atomic_Noodles
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've done some help on some of the bugs. and We didn't seem to find anything wrong on that end...

I'm always open to helping in bug fixes. Problem is I don't use some of the instances on some of the problems... If the Bug Reporter handed out a sample copy to help test it with then yeah I think Bug Solving could go around much more quickly though.

blubb
General

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ixonoclast wrote:
Well, if oil paintings and screen printing could turn into code, I'd love to help but hey... I can't code.

This sucks.

I mean, I am planning on using Ares in the near future for a project.

you do screen printing?

Hydraw Art on Facebook

Palkia323
Pyro Sniper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Screen printing is so much fun!

3ds Topic
Clicky

blubb
General

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i'm trying to tell that myself after 6 years working in that field and 3 years of apprenticeship with a good final exam in my hands.

Hydraw Art on Facebook

Allied General
General

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Everyone just needs to grow a pair of balls.

We don't owe Ares ANYTHING. So stop with the bullshit omg community guilt trip.

We didn't force you to mod or code or whatever. If you wanna make a patch a injector or whatever good for you.

Just STFU if things not going your way. Plenty of mods without support as well but we still mod on.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
Regulus
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Allied General wrote:
Everyone just needs to grow a pair of balls.

We don't owe Ares ANYTHING. So stop with the bullshit omg community guilt trip.

We didn't force you to mod or code or whatever. If you wanna make a patch a injector or whatever good for you.

Just STFU if things not going your way. Plenty of mods without support as well but we still mod on.

I couldn't agree more. If you want to do something you know won't make a return, just ztyping do it.

SuperJoe
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I could be wrong, but I think if Ares was made for TS it would have more users / testers. TS has some core flaws I'm sure most of you are aware of, and the tricks you can do in TS are quite limited to what you can do in RA2. Many times when looking at RA2 I'm like damn I wish that existed in TS. And this is just the original RA2, not even Ares. So TS has more need for something like Ares than RA2, IMO.

That and the fact there are some big and dedicated mod projects for TS. And yes I am aware of HyperPatch.

If I can get working air transports and rotors, more armor types and superweapons, garrisoning, infantry deploying, etc to TS I'll be testing the shit out of it Wink

Regulus
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I kind of agree with you Joe (as in totally agree.)

Most mods are specific to the game. You want to expand TS in some way? Mod TS. You want to extend the RA2 story line, you mod RA2. Most of the features in both games are tailored to (or the mod is tailored to the features of) the game itself.

I stopped working on Tiberian Dawn: Renegade because they still have not fully restored all of the Tiberium Logic. Granted, there are ways around this, but the point is that they seem to make their code extensions for people who want new features for RA2 type games. Given the lack of significantly deviant intellectual property being generated by the modding community, most Ares features will appeal to only a select group of people. If you want more people to help test, make the editions appealing to more people. If you were to say, implement several features that were taken out of RA2 from TS, you might see more migratory mods.

That of course leads to issues that come up in Total conversions like asset recreation, but those would begin to be addressed once the mod support was put it.

There are other things too that really turn me off to RA2 in general. War factories in particular.

I love the idea of Ares, I really do. However, I feel that they expect a lot out of an all volunteer community.

Ixonoclast
General

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

More TS logic in Ares would certainly bring more interest into Ares.

Hell, I can imagine some mods switching from TS to YR if all the logic from TS can be put in Ares.

Starkku
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Long wall of text incoming.

Whilst I kind of agree with Allied General, I am not sure if I'd put it that bluntly. The bottom line being, that I don't think the current state of things can be, atleast entirely, chalked down to being fault of the so-called community.

I don't honestly think that Ares team has done a stellar job promoting their project and raising public awareness of it. In other words, I think that poor PR work is atleast partly to blame for the current situation. Seriously, I'll put it blunt and honest: if you only reach out for the only active old-school C&C modding community (that is PPM) once in a blue moon (I seriously don't remember seeing ANY news posts here on the subject for a long time) and then expect hordes of highly motivated modders (because that is what you're looking for, not gamers, but modders) to test things out for you, I think you're doing something wrong or having expectations too high. You're not gonna get new people into the whole thing if you just post a announcements on Launchpad or Renegade Projects. Sure Speeder, for an example, has done good job raising awareness on Ares via those feature showcase videos, but I don't think that alone is enough. I am not claiming that more active PR approach instantly guarantees tester activity, but currently it seems like gambling and expecting to win without placing a bet.

I also think that the whole professional software development & project management approach might be creating a barrier between Ares developers and the more layman-esque portion of the community. Simply put, I don't think most of the people here, for an example, are all too familiar with concepts such as bugtracker or testing phase and what not. Of course, one can get used to things if they want to. Most people just probably expect to be able to get their hands on an end product, and then perhaps provide feedback on it. It's how things have been in the past, for most mods and other such projects here, and changing things is never easy.

Sure yes, there are probably some people out there who are using Ares testing builds and do not bother to contribute anything. In that manner, your assumption that community is greedy is probably true. But I don't think it applies universally. Lot of people just have other obligations, like Cranium said. It's even visible on other areas of community activity, as well. I don't really think that the current Ares situation is much different to the usual fate of community projects in C&C modding community. It's basically what every single one of those community mods which expect lots of contributions from other people has suffered, or hell, what VK basically practised by urging people to find bugs for him instead of bothering to do any testing himself.

That said, I don't personally really have anything against Ares itself. I'd actually like to see it go somewhere. I recently finally bothered to make a separate build of my mod that runs on Ares to see how viable option it would be for me. I'd need to run online tests before making any further judgements, but I got to make a switch from NPExt -> Ares with surprisingly small amount of features lost. I was actually impressed, for a moment at least. Of course Ares has it's own hiccups (custom animation paletted displaying through the shroud, for an example that I can call of top off my head), but things could be much worse on that front I'd say.

I admit, that in the past I've been put off by any thoughts of doing dedicated testing for Ares, since I didn't use the product and because I'd much rather spend the time developing my mod or doing other, to me, more important things. That will likely change if I decide to make the switch for a good. But contributing on a project that appears to have distanced itself from the rest of C&C modding community to a degree, isn't exactly very appealing option at first glance to be fair.

Disclaimer: Above comments of mine mostly consist of my personal opinions, that are not really intended to sound condescending or offensive towards any party. There is also a possibility that I've got one or more facts wrong or that I am mistaken about something. In that case, feel free to correct me.

Starkku out.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID Twitter Channel URL
AlexB
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

As good as it sounds to implement more versatile features that many modders may want to use, you aren't fully considering the Pareto principle. While it is true (roughly) that 80% of the modders only use 20% of the features, you're ignoring that modders use a different set of features. Not everybody uses the same set of features.

Common criticism also includes "Ares doesn't have NPatch feature x". Ares does not try to recreate NPatch. If your mod relies on the chrono factory feature so heavily, you indeed have no choice, but think about the thousands of possiblilites you get by abandoning that feature. You gotta decide on your own whether Ares matches your requirements or not.

I do not demand more testers. I do not demand that people help me, now being the only remaining coder. As AG pointed out, you don't owe Ares anything. I don't owe the community anything either. We're all volunteers. I'm thankful for everyone who's still confirming features and trying to find bugs (even though I'm puzzled that verified features that haven't been changed for two years actually never worked).

From my point of view, I see demands like "add feature x" all the time. I see requests like "why doesn't this work this way? can you help?" and "can you look up how this tag works exactly?". Modders get a (hopefully) stable extension, completely for free. In return, it would be great if there would be more feedback (not only more demands).

Wouldn't it be great if more gamers would give you feedback after playing your mods? Pointing out features they like and things that could be better. Maybe giving you hints that there are graphical glitches in some animation, or the game crashes if you do things in a certain order? But you have no right to demand them to, either. Though it would be cool.

How many gamers downloaded and played your mods? Thousands, easily. I don't have contact to them, because for them Ares is just an unimportant technical detail, almost like the text editor you used to edit the INIs. Usually I don't get any feedback from those end users. Ares has to make the best of the feedback it gets, which can only come from you, the modders.

Ares isn't made for TS and there are some big mods using Ares already, and I suspect if Ares would have been made for TS, it would suffer from the same lethargy now. It would just be a different set of people saying the same things.

On a sidenote: DCoder said good bye now. He was in this community for ages, did the research, investigated crashes and provided facts and advice on so many occasions. Renegade has not been actively developing Ares for some time, but he managed the bug tracker and still provides the server infrastructure (along with ModEnc). The community should know better what both of them did in all those years. Looking at this thread I see not a single word of gratitude for all Ren and D have done for this community. I think that's just disrespectful.

Starkku: It took too long to edit this post (and drinking a hot beverage of my choice), so your post is handled separate. I agree with you generally, but please consider that PR is work, too, which has to be done by someone. Source code doesn't make good promotional images. The professional approach is needed for projects of this size. Look at the bug tracker and see the amounts of valuable knowledge in there. Thousands of issues, progress, feedback, confirmations. Almost no person could (correctly) remember that for years. A team couldn't share information any other way. I concur that a large part of the professional approach is not as well hidden behind the curtain as it should be. Branches, commits, issues and whitepapers are concepts modders aren't interested in -- it should just work. But this wouldn't decrease the work it takes (like by a team member going through all forums and filing all issues posted there in the bug tracker). It would put the work on the Ares team, which can't use the that time to fix bugs. The non-professional approach didn't even work on NPatch, which is a project smaller by magnitudes.

LH_Mouse
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

In a word, don't blame the community for being greedy and indifferent.

As human beings we should learn to live on ourselves, to work, to make money, and not to fail to live up to our parents' expectations. It's our job, it's our duty, and it's our destiny. We're having so many things to do that cannot pay very much attention on modding - which won't bring even a cent to ourselves at all.

Beyond that, YR is indeed an old game and is suffering from all kinds of compatibility problems on newer Windows, hence, which I am very unwilling to admit, YR is dying. "Are you still playing RA? Why not try DOTA or Diablo or blah blah blah?"

Modding still remains a minority sport - because of its technical difficulties and patience requirements. You simply cannot expect everybody to be as talented as you are. We have to admit that we are 'the minority', we cannot set the trend, and all we can do, is to let sleeping dog lie.

We mod, because of our interest - "our", not "others'". We develop Ares or something else, for us - "us", not "someone else". Just enjoy ourselves - again, "ourselves", not "otherselves".

We will prevail!!!

Ixonoclast
General

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'd say why don't we put an Ares section on PPM?

That way, the Ares website can stay clean and orderly the way it is, and over here on PPM people can quickly get information, ask questions, discuss things etc. etc.

AlexB
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Whenever I see a question I can answer, I'll try to answer it here already, no matter how the forums are organized. It's just most of the time Graion is faster than I am Very Happy

Ixonoclast
General

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Okay, I've been out of the community for like I dunno. So this shit about Ares being near-dead like scared the ztype out of me.

Especially since with no Ares, I can't see myself making a mod for YR in the first place.

And to be honest, I need a couple more logics in Ares to fully... deploy the MCV. So it would be nice to see Ares trucking on.

mevitar
Missile Trooper

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ixonoclast wrote:
And to be honest, I need a couple more logics in Ares to fully... deploy the MCV. So it would be nice to see Ares trucking on.

While i can see the current state of Ares being the fault of both sides (even if some would say that the fault lays solely on "others"), i think it would be best if people didn't wait for "Ares to be finally done and released", but started slowly switching to using Ares if they are planning to at all, so there will be more people to test it. Wink

Starkku
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

AlexB wrote:

Starkku: It took too long to edit this post (and drinking a hot beverage of my choice), so your post is handled separate. I agree with you generally, but please consider that PR is work, too, which has to be done by someone. Source code doesn't make good promotional images. The professional approach is needed for projects of this size. Look at the bug tracker and see the amounts of valuable knowledge in there. Thousands of issues, progress, feedback, confirmations. Almost no person could (correctly) remember that for years. A team couldn't share information any other way. I concur that a large part of the professional approach is not as well hidden behind the curtain as it should be. Branches, commits, issues and whitepapers are concepts modders aren't interested in -- it should just work. But this wouldn't decrease the work it takes (like by a team member going through all forums and filing all issues posted there in the bug tracker). It would put the work on the Ares team, which can't use the that time to fix bugs. The non-professional approach didn't even work on NPatch, which is a project smaller by magnitudes.

I understand perfectly that solutions such as bug tracker are there to make things easier for the devs. I was merely trying to point out that it might have some unfortunate side effects on some potential users/contributors. However, as you said, people just need to work over those if they want to contribute I guess, since sacrificing those utilities would have more costs than gains.

Also I don't think PR is necessarily the job of developers themselves. I was just trying to offer my opinion on the matter, especially since it all seemed just for the sake of bashing the community for greed and inattention. Actually fixing the issue, if it's deemed that the PR work would need improvement, would require dedicated PR personnel doing the work instead of devs themselves. How well that would work in with the all things of reality factored in, however, I don't know.

I suppose I can only wish you people good luck, for the moment atleast. Let's say though, that if I hypothetically wanted to help with Ares, where would I go? Renegade Projects IRC channel for further instructions? Straight to Ares Launchpad and test unconfirmed but reported bugs and post my findings?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID Twitter Channel URL
Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The IRC is for direct chatting and recently went into a "Let's Showcase The Wacky YR Bugs With Your Host, Speeder" state. The tracker would be the place to post the findings, yes.

=======================
Contributions: EE Fixpack | Enhanced Edition Trilogy | DSotSC (Trilogy) | UB_IWD | SotSC & a lot more...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID
CCHyper
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I can not be bothered to quote any of the above, someone new to this topic should instead.

The point that AG made are basically true, just not as harsh. But on the same hand, the community could been involved more.

Actually, pointing fingers is pointless... We should just look forward in a positive way.

We have 3 active projects for both TS and YR. HP, NPExt and Ares. We work hard, in our own time to do what we can, lets just enjoy the fact we all still enjoy working on the good old classics, no matter what task we do!

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

AG for the most part + Ares just seems so out of the way that I just forget about. I never visit RenegadeProjects for example... with my current amount of time I only check up on PPM and Revora and since it's not on either of those I CBA to get involved, it doesn't collide with my browsing.

SMIFFGIG
General

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OmegaBolt wrote:
AG for the most part + Ares just seems so out of the way that I just forget about. I never visit RenegadeProjects for example..

I made a long post about this earlier this year on the Ares forums.

About how it should integrate itself more with the CnC community and modders (largely ppmsite)

I also mentioned how Gangster was working on TS:Rewire http://www.moddb.com/mods/command-and-conquer-rewire

and if the rest of the TS features could be completed in Ares (and Gangster completing rewire) you could have pretty much all TS Modders using Ares.

Either way the post was ignored and now they dont even seem to have their own forum or a community of there own, which I find quite strange.. considering they are asking the 'community' for assistance.

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The following are my personal opinions:

I personally am not interested in restoring TS logics, because most of those logics I find annoying (forest fires, storage) or no use (ice). I really dislike TI due to this, because it emphatizes these meh aspects of the TS engine.

Personally, the sole interesting FS logic I like (besides EMP) is Split logic but since that is an FS logic, it needs to be coded from scratch.

I did read and do remember your post, Smiff, but it was a kinda usual one "gimme features X, Y and Z and then, but THEN I will support", and tbh there are already three of such posts exist in this topic.

Now as the User Support Agent.

There are a core amount of people I know who use Ares. There are no subcommunity as a whole based upon Ares, just like there are no subcommunities upon NPExt or ETS. But unlike back at the times, the community is kinda meh. If you look into the RA2 modding forum, the amount of newbies using NPExt is noticable compared to Ares. Out of my head, I can say only two persons, who joined into the crowd lately have ended up with Ares, Sir Shockwave and Atomic Noodles.

Also the people who need features A B and C to support Ares are sadly not helpful at all.

OK, I know that this is kinda meh, but I'm actually tired into this limbo considering that when I actively joined into Ares, 0.2 was almost out. But that happened more than 1,5 years ago now. And I thought I did the job of mine well. I started to follow PPM as the Ares User Support Agent, tbh. But heck, you can't expect 4-5 people to do everything until features XY and so on gets completed to make everyone happy.

=======================

Gangster
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi, folks. Long time no see.

Speaking, that community doesn't care about Ares is not correct. It does it's own way. As I see, people still continue to mod. There are some new mods that have been started since my last visit, as i see and they have conformed using of Ares. Tutorials section with Ares features grows.
This is realy sad that Ares have come to this. I wish a best of luck to AlexB. Enjoy things you do.

Cranium
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well we all have to understand that it's 2012. RA2/YR is very old and pretty much redundant anymore. There may be a few more new comers left to try thier hand at modding RA2/YR and the few left to finish the already in progress mods "such as myself", but there will never be as many as there has been in the past. Point being, there just isnt going to be enough modders now a days to contribute much to Ares anymore. Yeah, you'll still have your handful of modders fiddling around with Ares, but not enough for the Ares dev's standards. We and the Devs just need to understand that modding RA2/YR is a dying breed and have to accept it for what it is.

Personally, I am very grateful for what Ares has become "even though unfinished" I appreciate all the hard work and dedication that has went into developing Ares. Just wish Ares had been developed at an earlier time period, It would have had all the support it ever needed and be near completion.

Good luck on furture development of Ares, I will be there when and if I can. Thanks guys and Devs of Ares!

The enemy shall be injected with toxic poison - Venom

Deformat
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
RA2/YR is very old and pretty much redundant anymore.

Never! The only moment it will be redundant is 50 years from now.

YR modding won't die that fast. Why? The simplicity of the game, and the fact that newer games have waaay too realist or have a shitty gameplay.

That's why. YR is a simple game and a simple one to mod. And there are mods out there (D-Day, AGSA, Project Phantom, Red Resurrection, Mental Omega) who do their job right.

People said the same thing that "YR is a doomed engine" 5 years ago. I remember people saying "I don't give it more than 5 years", yet here we are, 5 years later, with other newer members and so on. We live.

Let's look the other way: OpenRA. Does it live? Yes.
Does it have a big community? Hell yes
Will it survive more than 5 years? The answer again, is yes.
How many years passed since RA was released? 15 nearly.

This is how the gaming industry exists: It only revives, like a phoenix. Old games never become too old, they just reinvent themselves.

4StarGeneral
General

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think I've explained about 5 times on Ren's forums why Ares is not getting the support you want.

A) People like myself don't understand where to start in testing/debugging it. All the time in the world is not worth wasting on a cause you don't understand how to help. (its like trying to help build a weather machine, but all you know how to do is paint it.)

B) We generally aren't getting much feedback from the coders on what is going on with the DLL other than "need testers". (not that this wasn't stated a thousand times above)

Personally I think EA should stop making worse and worse C&C games, and build up the ones it hasn't released as freeware. Would most likely make them more money.

ViPr
Gauss Rifle Trooper

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think that modding old games may not really be a waste of time because I think a lot of that work can be automatically converted over to new games with special software tools.

MasterHaosis
General

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Graion Dilach wrote:

I personally am not interested in restoring TS logics, because most of those logics I find annoying (forest fires, storage) or no use (ice). I really dislike TI due to this, because it emphatizes these meh aspects of the TS engine.

Personally, the sole interesting FS logic I like (besides EMP) is Split logic but since that is an FS logic, it needs to be coded from scratch.

But what about ION Storms, Veinhole Monsters/Veins, Tiberium Healing/Explosions, Viscerooids ?
Well, if there are more features from TS, many people would like it migrate from TS to RA2, perhaps.

PPM Halloween Season 2021

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ion Storms are possible with MLEP. TibExplosion is case 1, Visceroids are both, and veins are case 2.

=======================

Gangster
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I am okay, if it just too expencive to code, but how can it be useless in general? I can imagine third type of resource like uranium been used for extra credits or filling Nuke SW. Very hazardous for infantry, melting them or turn to mindless Brutes.

¥R_M0dd€r
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

First of all, big thanks to DCoder and Renagade for all the work they have done to Ares.
That being said, I agree with most of the people here, especially Cranium(except that YR is redundant , it is the ONLY strategy game I enjoy). You guys expect a huge swarm of testers and that is impossible because this community is small and don't have enough people to do that.
I don't know what is going to happen next, maybe try to attract people by adding more useful features(like some people already suggested)?
AlexB, your superweapon collection is awesome, but other than that..... You need to add more useful features Very Happy Well that's my opinion.

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Alex did at least 70% of the current EMP logics. Which falls into all of the "wewant" roles.

Rest assumed... we'll see how progress will be made.

=======================

4StarGeneral
General

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I feel it doesn't really matter because most of the coders have abandoned Ares because they "aren't getting enough help" when frankly, not many people in the YR modding community KNOW C#, very, very fewer still know assembly. And that is the help they are wanting more than testers.
But that kind of help is just not going to happen. Just look at me, I used to know C++ and RoR, but I've gone separate ways from coding and forgotten it all.

The ONLY actual Coders around here that can truly help Ares as a project, are the ones that ALREADY have.

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ares is C++, not C#.

=======================

CCHyper
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I struggle to write C/C++, but I can read what I need to know if I am comparing source to assembly.

My internal TS equivalent to Ares is all in-line ASM #Tongue

AlexB
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't think additional coders would help. In the past I could code faster than testers would test already.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 4 [179 Posts] Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace!