Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:02 pm
All times are UTC + 0
Getting and Building the Source
Moderators: Ares Support Team at PPM, Global Moderators, Red Alert 2 Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Aidhus
Soldier

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:59 am    Post subject:  Getting and Building the Source
Subject description: Ares 0.2
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello there, can I ask how to get the source code from github and build it on linux? I have Ubuntu along side Win7. Since there are limitations in both RA2/YR and Ares to implement Starcraft Logic to the game, I am planning to add some features to Ares to let me make my mod totaly resemble Starcraft.

Oh, what programming language should I study first to work on Ares source code? Rolling Eyes

Thanks in advance guys!

Gangster
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

C++ is essential
ASM is recomended

Aidhus
Soldier

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Okay, learn the basics, experiment with Ares'es source code, implement Starcraft features to Ares, compile, conduct test run, fix bugs, make stable builds and distribute!?

Can I distribute a modified version of Ares?

Renegade
Cyborg Artillery

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The best option would be if you would commit back your changes for the community.

=======================
WeiDU mods: Random Graion Tweaks | Graion's Soundsets
Maintainance: Extra Expanded Enhanced Encounters! | BGEESpawn
Contributions: EE Fixpack | Enhanced Edition Trilogy | DSotSC (Trilogy) | UB_IWD | SotSC & a lot more...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID
Aidhus
Soldier

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Graion Dilach wrote:
The best option would be if you would commit back your changes for the community.

Ares'es main goal is to implement or bring back the TS:FS logic to RA2:YR, Minor SC logic for official Ares releases should be fine Razz

@Renegade:
Can I name it anything I want except Ares trademarks?

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

what??? Ares's main goal is extend YR not to restore TS. Where the heck you have read this?

=======================
WeiDU mods: Random Graion Tweaks | Graion's Soundsets
Maintainance: Extra Expanded Enhanced Encounters! | BGEESpawn
Contributions: EE Fixpack | Enhanced Edition Trilogy | DSotSC (Trilogy) | UB_IWD | SotSC & a lot more...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID
Aidhus
Soldier

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Was my grammar bad? Please calm for a while, not all internet users know english very well. What I was trying to tell is that Ares expands YR's features, sorry abour that.

Renegade
Cyborg Artillery

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The license does spell out what you can and can't do with the code. If you're having trouble understanding it, you should invest the time to study it until you do, it's kind of important.

The same goes for learning git, really. Take it slow, read up on the basics and make sure you understand what you're about to do before you dive into it. Saves you a whole lot of headaches.

I'm sorry if I sound unhelpful to you, but coding Ares is a step up from plain rules.ini modding. You can't just change a few lines, drop a file somewhere and magic happens. So it's important you actually learn and understand what you're doing, and that involves personal effort.

Ixonoclast
General

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Guess someone is getting free burrow logic...

Aidhus
Soldier

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

@Renegade:

Yeah, that was a very big leap for me but I'll do what I can while working on my mod. I'll stick with Ares 0.2 until my derived patch is stable.

@Ixonoclast"

Punny, very PUNNY

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon