Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:14 am
All times are UTC + 0
what about linking super weapons with normal weapons_
Moderators: Ares Support Team at PPM, Global Moderators, Red Alert 2 Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [26 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
kenosis
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:38 am    Post subject:  what about linking super weapons with normal weapons_ Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I played generals shockwave mod, airforce general's burton can throw a smoke signal on ground, then an airstrike is started. Also I remember in some general mods such beacon can be used for paradrop and other super weapons. I think a unit that can use micro lightning storm or psychics dominator will be cool.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Skype Account Yahoo Messenger Account
Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Don't see the problem or the need for some Ares hacking in this. Even in TS you can code such a SW.

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well he means that any weapon should be able to target a SW. I guess more like an advanced EMP Cannon logic (which isn't currently in Ares at all).

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Isn't that still just a matter of a bit of rules and art coding?

Psychic Dominator:
-fire weapon on cell
-use cellspread on warhead
-use special infantry transformation animation on warhead
-use some other animations for the crazy glow effect etc

Nuke:
-fire weapon on cell
-use warhead with Nuke settings

Chronosphere:
-use chrono legionnaire weapon clone (don't see any other way, because for normal chronoport there aren't enough infos: no location where the unit should be teleported to)

Iron Curtain:
-wasn't Ares having this as a warhead key already? So just use a weapon with the IC warhead

Airstrike:
-use Boris logic
-or use the logic from DTA (which is just a bit more complex animation on a regular warhead)

Lightning Storm
-nothing than a warhead that spawns a bunch of animations (can be also done in TS)

etc.
Several SW are simply not suitable for normal weapons (like chronosphere: where should the hit unit be teleported?) and every other SW can be surely done with a bit ini coding.

Public SHPs

Tools

Mav.EricK
a.k.a SuperMario649

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

But that gives no delay to the SW

http://www.ppmsite.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=458275#458275
=======================
Donut Arnold's great templates for TS and Ra2
http://www.ppmsite.com/forum/download.php?id=43817

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Of course. There are several ways to do that.
a) use slow flying projectile (maybe invisible)
b) use animations (art.ini offers more than playing only a single SHP from first to last frame)
[TIMER]
Start=0
End=10
Rate=50 ;adjust this for the delay
Next=INITSW

;this is used to create a debris from a normal anim
[INITSW]
TrailerAnim=STARTSW ;the debris that launches the superweapon stuff. warheads are correctly used on debris and special things can be done via anims again.

Take a look at the TI and DTA Nukes. I deliberately coded them to be no instant hit weapon but with a delay.
The DTA airstrike is another example for such a delayed SW.

Public SHPs

Tools

Gangster
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Deliver SW can't be replaced.

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Before my HDD crashed, I had a plan to add it. Dunno when I'll get there tho.

=======================
WeiDU mods: Random Graion Tweaks | Graion's Soundsets
Maintainance: Extra Expanded Enhanced Encounters! | BGEESpawn
Contributions: EE Fixpack | Enhanced Edition Trilogy | DSotSC (Trilogy) | UB_IWD | SotSC & a lot more...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID
Allied General
General

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Not to rain on your parade LKO but debris weapons have a major flaw - water cells

It just splashes - does not deal warhead damage or effects either iirc

Since ra2 universe has naval component by default as a major component of gameplay I can imagine said workarounds have issues.

Also existing logic has limitations such as boris designator not being fire and forgot and structure only for example

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
¥R_M0dd€r
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Digging the idea.

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

@AG: Well, why not suggesting to remove the flaws, before features that are by 80% already possible and only used by 1 or 2 people Wink
Allowing Conventional=yes on art.ini debris might be a good suggestion then.

Though imo Ares should first fix the serious problems like broken savegame logic before adding more and more features.

Public SHPs

Tools

Speeder
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Though imo Ares should first fix the serious problems like broken savegame logic

I like the way you think.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
Starkku
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Speeder wrote:
Quote:
Though imo Ares should first fix the serious problems like broken savegame logic

I like the way you think.

Word. Altough the particular issue brought up is something that could get broken easily after adding new features, and would need constant maintenance to keep in a functioning state.

Lin Kuei Ominae wrote:
@AG: Well, why not suggesting to remove the flaws, before features that are by 80% already possible and only used by 1 or 2 people Wink
Allowing Conventional=yes on art.ini debris might be a good suggestion then.

I did add this as a blueprint just now, been meaning to do it for a while. Can be found here. Details of course could be reconsidered, but I think simple Conventional=yes/no does not allow for as complete control as something like I proposed in the blueprint.

Last edited by Starkku on Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:02 am; edited 1 time in total

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID Twitter Channel URL
RP
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Starkku wrote:
Word. Altough the particular issue brought up is something that could get broken easily after adding new features, and would need constant maintenance to keep in a functioning state.

It seems to me Ares is a never ending project, requests keep coming, so save/load won't be fixed for a long time, if the current way of working continues.

Mental Omega 3.0 Mission creator - Creator of FinalOmega: APYR 3.0 Map Editor

/ppm/'s stupidity

AlexB
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I rather think the savegame feature will be the one creating the biggest frustration and it will most likely be the last big feature I'll code. Because it starts to get on my nerves, for the last time: It can't be split into smaller parts. It will take lots of time, because it requires dozen logics to be changed, which could not support savegames otherwise. It will crash until everything is in place. Until then, it can't be tested. If it's finally completed, it will require work and testing to actually keep it working. Later on, every minor addition will possibly break it. Even if not, savegames will become incompatible. No fun, so I won't do it in the next months.

The EMP cannon could have been in Ares since 2010, but you all know about the testing situation.

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This suggestion seems much better to me than LKOs. Not everything can be perfectly mimicked, for example DeliverySW or Paradrops. I think also importantly this could link a weapon to a SW structure like the Nuke Silo. If it was charged a distant unit on the map could have to provide the target marker for the launch. If you want a weapon that causes nukes to magically rain down from the sky then this isn't the logic for you but I think it has cool gameplay opportunities.

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

@AlexB: can't you simply give new Ares logics a default value? So if you read a savegame which doesn't has any information about a new logic, then this logic isn't set and uses the default setting instead?
e.g.
-A tank using new Ares logic
-savegame is created with the tank
-savegame loses information about the special Ares logic
-savegame is loaded
-the Tank now uses the default setting of the Ares logic

This way savegames stay compatible even with new versions and you just have to warn users that information about currently in process Ares actions are lost when a game is saved and loaded again.

It's like "i can only save integers, but also handle strings. when i save my variables, i only save the integers. When i load the variables, only the integers are filled and the strings are all empty".

Public SHPs

Tools

kenosis
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I mean a weapon that triggers your ready sw or off map other sw. One example will be boris throw a smoke beacon, runs away, and a complex airstrike sw is launched. Original airstrike system is very much limited. I know minor dominator can be created with gear zero but complex.

Another example: berserk gas warhead sw that covers 10 cell ,in the center 4cells units will have double damage with attacheffect. You cannot detonate 2 warheads with one sw, but if warhead 1 can trigger sw2, that will be the case.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Skype Account Yahoo Messenger Account
Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

kenosis wrote:
You cannot detonate 2 warheads with one sw

[Animations]
xx=INITWARHEAD2

[Warheads]
xx=WARHEAD1
yy=WARHEAD2

[WARHEAD1]
AnimList=INITWARHEAD2

[WARHEAD2]

[INITWARHEAD2]
Elasticity=0.0
MaxXYVel=1.0
MinZVel=-10.0
Bouncer=yes
ExpireAnim=InvisibleDummy ; create this
Damage=1
Warhead=WARHEAD2

an alternative, use Airburst logic. (if that still exists in RA2)

Public SHPs

Tools

CCHyper
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Lin Kuei Ominae wrote:
@AlexB: can't you simply give new Ares logics a default value? So if you read a savegame which doesn't has any information about a new logic, then this logic isn't set and uses the default setting instead?
e.g.
-A tank using new Ares logic
-savegame is created with the tank
-savegame loses information about the special Ares logic
-savegame is loaded
-the Tank now uses the default setting of the Ares logic

This way savegames stay compatible even with new versions and you just have to warn users that information about currently in process Ares actions are lost when a game is saved and loaded again.

It's like "i can only save integers, but also handle strings. when i save my variables, i only save the integers. When i load the variables, only the integers are filled and the strings are all empty".

Thats a lot more work that it seems... Making sure save games work correctly when extending classes can be troublesome, so to be honest, im with AlexB.

MRMIdAS
Energy Commando

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm all for savegames, but only with non-testing versions, having to fix saves for every test version would be stupid.

kenosis
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

debris never works with water, and ares doesnt support anim warhead, as I remember. Warhead sw is just a warhead with damage no projectile tags can be used. I will try workarounds before posting a feature, and most my ideas are not possible with workarounds. I mean, I am already a workaround master.

Starkku
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

kenosis wrote:
and ares doesnt support anim warhead, as I remember.

Wrong. It does. Only special Ares logics like IC, EMP etc. do not work when used from animation warheads.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID Twitter Channel URL
kenosis
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

then it is. As they are not working for special effects, so sw link is needed.

AlexB
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Why add some new system instead of fixing the original problem?

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

AlexB wrote:
Why add some new system instead of fixing the original problem?

Precisely!

Public SHPs

Tools

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [26 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon