Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:01 pm
All times are UTC + 0
Public Design Input
Moderators: Tiberian Odyssey Active Staff
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [43 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Orac
President

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:02 pm    Post subject:  Public Design Input
Subject description: Since sometimes you guys are partially right.
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This topic is going to serve me as a public face to the development process.  Every time a final model is shown, there are gripes by at least a few about how it doesn't match their exact imagining of a piece of concept art or the idea.  This topic remove that, but at least it will increase the amount of input I have to work with.

So this is where I will post WIPs.  Feedback and suggestions are highly encouraged, and while I can guarantee that some of it will be entirely filtered out I will read through all of it and incorporate things which I like, or which have garnered a reasonable amount of support.

Then I'll render that up into a nice WIP and show that off, and the cycle begins again until I decide to move onto something else.

A word of warning, I've only been using 3D Max for a year or so, and still don't have full control of all the interesting functions (I learned how to subtract a mesh from another mesh today! Very Happy)

First off is the silo, which has been the source of some contention.  I have made some alterations.  For comparison, here is a render of it as it stands:

Attached is my current edit.

silo2.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  26.71 KB
 Viewed:  28827 Time(s)

silo2.png

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Make the dark brown ring at the top remap, and remove the hexagon altogether.

Orac
President

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OK.

silo30000.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  48.67 KB
 Viewed:  28806 Time(s)

silo30000.gif

SMIFFGIG
General

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Personally I dislike the whole design of this silo

Although this is an improvement

The main aesthetic of silos imo is the clearly viewable Tiberium and fill level inside
More glass is needed (just say its futuristic bullet proof/bomb proof glass) it doesnt matter, but as long as the design looks cool.

How about something more along the lines of this?
http://cnc.wikia.com/wiki/File:CNCTW_Tiberium_Silo_concept_art.jpg
I like the hexagonal designs in the glass in that one too, something abit different (especially for TS)

or even more like one of the early TS concept arts
http://i52.tinypic.com/2sb047q.jpg

Currently I think the design is too bland and generic and infact looks more like some kind of pillbox/bunker

Orac
President

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Prototyping as fast as I can click

silo4.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  81.26 KB
 Viewed:  28788 Time(s)

silo4.png

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't mind the one on the far left but it does look rather odd with the containers raised so high.

I also like the the middle one on your last image with the glass roof.

Orac
President

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I dunno, the middle one feels like it would fit better in my steampunk GDI side, or on a children's junglegym.

But here comes a more recent revision (Edited for DaTS):

silo5.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  175.26 KB
 Viewed:  28780 Time(s)

silo5.png

Last edited by Orac on Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:25 am; edited 2 times in total

daTS
Mr. Moosey

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

you should probably rotate the version I made 90 degrees counterclockwise so the read meter can be seen.. Wink

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Skype Account
Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

But but. I liked what you did to the first model, the one with a glass roof looks perfect. You can easily see the fill level, yet it's not too fancy-pancy: It's a silo. Can you say the silo in Red Alert was explicitly interesting?

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

How about 3 or more cylinder (3dsmax capsule primitives) put flat on the ground, parallel to each other. Then each of them could have a thin transparent area on top. The filling state would be one cylinder after the other. So you can discern very easy between full and empty cylinder. The amount of full cylinder is directly representing the storage level.

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Orac wrote:
I dunno, the middle one feels like it would fit better in my steampunk GDI side, or on a children's junglegym.
Nah I meant the image before that, an edit of daTS' i guess, like Crimsonum said, the one with the glass roof.

Alex06
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I actually like the one in the middle of this pic (open-topped) best:

It has the best readability of all, despite how awesome the other ones look, this is probably the best one you can use. Others either don't look too sturdy/military/GDI or are hard to read. The latest one (TW-like) looks great, but it's hard to read a small meter like that in TS. In TW, it's doable, and storage is higher per silo and refinery, so there's no need to pay attention to the storage as much as in TS.

From a game design perspective, the open-topped version of the original is the most aesthetically readable and functional of all designs. That's why I believe it is the one that should be used. The other variants of the silo that use this same base could always be given other purpose, making this small hexagonal base a streamline design, which design-wise, works for GDI, since GDI is very streamlined. Hexagonal structures also tend to be very sturdy, so this shape communicates sturdyness very well. Streamline sturdy describes GDI very well.

Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Orac wrote:

But here comes a more recent revision (Edited for DaTS):
*img*

I like the most left design. Also, what is that Doomsday Ark doing there? #Tongue

LordCesare
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i really prefer the bunkerish style, since it fit with GDI design. They cannot make weak silos, or tiberium can easly leak out when damaged.

Team : Mentalmeister | Mapper for Mental Omega 3.0

Team : TO Project | Mapper for Tiberian Odyssey

Orac
President

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I am looking for any ideas, unusued WW concepts, or whatever for the Nod Stealth Generator.

As good as Blubb's concept is, I am having trouble translating it into a isometric 2x3 structure. Of course I will continue to try and absorb as much of its aesthetic sensibilities, further input is required.

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Why not go for a different foundation? Even 2x2 should work, if it doesn't ends up too small. (e.g. a quite tall one)

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

Orac
President

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Foundation size is not really an issue. The stealth gen has been moved down the tech tree to be a reasonably early structure and its power requirements and cloaking radius have been reduced. So anything short of 3x3 seems valid.

The issue is that aesthetically I'm having trouble finding design inspiration. This can be clearly quantified by the fact that I haven't posted a render of it yet #Tongue

tl;dr: model sucks, need ideas, know that there are lots of people with lots of ideas. Want them.

StealthGen_WIP.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  25.91 KB
 Viewed:  28416 Time(s)

StealthGen_WIP.png

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Looks somewhat mobile, and highly reminiscent of the Corrupter from TW.

Machine
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Remove orb, add tail, change textures to look like chitin, transform it into a tiberian centipede Wink.

Orac
President

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Pre-breakfast edit.
Still needs cowl, if it's to fit to Blubb's concept.
Maybe the cowl can be a translucent animation..

StealthGen_WIP2.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  23.92 KB
 Viewed:  28397 Time(s)

StealthGen_WIP2.png

blubb
General

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

outrageously good !

Hydraw Art on Facebook

Lord Firestorm
Soldier

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

How long does it usually take to make the model from scratch?

Orac
President

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

An hour or two usually, unless I have a really clear idea of where I'm going. And then there's the revision time, animating, and rendering which all add a few more hours.

Trying out a different roof, which in my opinion makes the building a bit more aesthetically coherant. Opinions welcomed.

StealthGen_WIP3.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  45.96 KB
 Viewed:  28345 Time(s)

StealthGen_WIP3.png

blubb
General

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Orac wrote:
An hour or two usually, unless I have a really clear idea of where I'm going. And then there's the revision time, animating, and rendering which all add a few more hours.

Trying out a different roof, which in my opinion makes the building a bit more aesthetically coherant. Opinions welcomed.

whoa whoa whoa! both!
you could make the roof as an upgrade, armor upgrade or so, i love both, i can't say no to any of these Very Happy

Hydraw Art on Facebook

Lord Firestorm
Soldier

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I feel that the roof hides the fine details of the model. I prefer the non roofed one.

LordCesare
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

can make the roof red and trasparent?

Orac
President

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, Cesare, that'd require me to model some interior. #Tongue
But it is an interesting idea..

My reasoning with the roof is that otherwise the sphere and the rest of the structure are very separate objects, either one functions as a piece of geometry on its own. With the roof there is a contiguous silhouette from one end of the building to the other, encompassing the entire thing. What if I was to shrink the roof down a bit?

StealthGen_WIP4.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  95.62 KB
 Viewed:  28313 Time(s)

StealthGen_WIP4.png

LordCesare
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

if you make the one red and trasparent,that one will be for Players. Bu maybe, one of these can be of Larger radius, and only campaign usage.

Edit, i still prefer with normal roof, the 2nd one from the left, i don't think that nod want to keep important structures with delicates part in sight #Tongue

Speeder
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The ball from first version was better.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
luxycomplex
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:19 pm    Post subject:  St_Gen for Mobile Version Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

These model I think better used as deployed Mobile Stealth Generator. Question

Orac
President

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The stealth tank, you mean?
But I already did that one D:

LordCesare
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i think he mean the Mobile stealth generator like the one in Firestorm.

luxycomplex
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:37 pm    Post subject:  Confirmation for Deployed Mobile SGEN Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yap like in Firestorm, coded as mstl. So what the next thing we need are the SGEN tank, in vxl or shp format (assuming non fooling around yet). Strangely, I tend to prefer shp version for some tank models over vxl version that created in lasts years. It seem because modeled using present day 3d modeller. Laughing

sigi
Civilian

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:11 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i have since few days a picture in my head and today i tried to put it on paper. here is the result:

(p.s.: i think its clear that you can do what you want with these sketches)

StealthGen1.jpg
 Description:
Unfortunately I have no pencil sharpener and pencil I use is relatively blunt xD
 Filesize:  16.96 KB
 Viewed:  27936 Time(s)

StealthGen1.jpg

StealthGen2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  18.72 KB

StealthGen2.jpg

StealthGen3.jpg
 Description:
--> here or here --> gently pulsating light (red or white-blue) toward the ball or not /// NOD SYMBOL AND ENTRY
 Filesize:  18.24 KB

StealthGen3.jpg

blubb
General

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

oracs sgen is perfect as regular stealth generator so far.

Hydraw Art on Facebook

sigi
Civilian

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:52 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

blubb wrote:
oracs sgen is perfect as regular stealth generator so far.

okay okay xD, i just thought i give an input here of my "day-dream-fantasy" Very Happy

daviperdragon
Soldier

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Clear roofed silo plz.

and as for the stealth generator... just darken the sphere a couple shades, and a smaller roof and i'd like it.

Orac
President

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The War Factory has been getting some discussion recently, so here are a couple of dual-smokestack edits...

revamp_2.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  84.01 KB
 Viewed:  25431 Time(s)

revamp_2.png

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very nice, I like the one of the left better as it simply has a more distinct shape.

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's beautiful.

blubb
General

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

it's great and i can't see how TO's nod units can't fit the door, it's perfect #Tongue

Hydraw Art on Facebook

Orac
President

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've also altered the buildup to try and make it more clear that the metal strip in the interior is an elevator.

Ickus
General

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

awh cute stealth gen, does it mobile version have caterpillar like animations? anyways dig the styles.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [43 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon