Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:57 am
All times are UTC + 0
Yuri's Army?
Moderators: Global Moderators, Offtopic Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Atomic_Noodles
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:15 pm    Post subject:  Yuri's Army? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I know this has been talked about before many times. Anybody have info on what else Westwood was planning for Yuri's Side seeing as how Yuri's Army really was half-done.

MasterHaosis
General

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, I do not see much people like talking about it, but I always do.
Yuri's army? Come on, so many imbalances, and half of his army is either unused or overpowered if AI plays with it.

1. small units amount. Only 8 in vehicle tab and six infantry. Small choice.

2. No anti air navy, only Boomer which can be overpowered but alone yet again.

3.you cant win from air. You can create million flying saucers but you cannot win because they drain some buildings, and for victory you need all buildings to be destroyed. Do not mean that you have to build amphibious transport to transport troops over sea in island maps to aid your discs.

4. no anti air infantry, you need to build gattling tanks to support infantry.

5. no real strong tank which will fight against buildings, base defenses and other tanks. You need to build combo of many lasher tanks and gattling tanks.

6. no real anti mind control fighter unit. chaos drone obviosly cannot fight against mind controllers aswell Yuri and clones. Only unused brute is allowed. If he comes closely.

7. No real artillery unit, and my favorite. Both underpowered and overpowered unit. Magnetron. As artillery unit, against base defenses and buildings, it is the weakest artillery around. As support unit it is also unused because it drags tanks, but it cannot auto target enemies, in the middle of battle you need manually to control him while not concentrating on other tanks, so you are about to lose. Also, he needs to be protected because he drags tanks towards it. Especially he cannot shoot at infantry at all! Holy shit!
But in AI's hands it is the most overpowered unit, as AI has separately mouse control for each unit, and magnetron HAS ONLY 20 FRAMES BETWEEN DRAGGING BEAM SHOT LIKE MACHINE GUN which means that he will rapidly throw out your tanks to air immobilizing them! in AIs hand the most powerful unit, in your hands the most unused.

8. Another long discussed unit. Slave miner. Bother good and bad in same time. Good because it is mobile refinery concept, so you do not need to worry about miner to return to refinery to unload money especially on long maps. Plus, slave miners back then before patch could not get infiltrated, so additionally by Yuri clones, prime and psychic towers there is no chance to infiltrate Yuri's base. Especially to steal money!
But here is bad thing. Mobile refinery is good in peace. But this is war, in war that can be against you, especially if enemy attack you, killing your slave miners so far from your base before you can react! Especially he has slaves and he is slow. if he destroys miner, you can replace it, but slave miner is more expensive. Especially after patch he got 1750$ cost AND COULD GET INFILTRATED! That is the most unbalanced thing to Yuri then because deployed slave miners would be infiltrated all time around maps! You will always get money!

9. no transport unit apart from slow amphibious transport, but in many maps you cannot build Naval Yards, so you are doomed.

10. No repair unit or healing infantry.

11. Gattling cannons. Anti ground and anti air, awesome! But if he attacks you from both ground and air in same time?

12. Psychic Towers. It can be awesome to immediately take control and stop your unit, turning it against you, using it or sell for money. But what about if you do not have power somehow and your base got completely shut down and mind controlled units got free and attack you ?

13. MasterMind. Unit with ability to rapidly mind control other units. its good theoretically, but he can only stops massive amount of units on few seconds, thats it. Yes, units will be damaged because of fight, but you need to pay 1750$ per MasterMind for that. Even if you manage to get alive MasterMind, you cannot repair it, you need to wait until he fully repairs himself again.

14. Brute. Nah, good and bad unit, mostly useless. he has strong armor and can destroy tank in few hits yes, but he needs to get close, and if you build many brutes, not all will get chance to attack because of each other, not everyone can manage to get close, but everyone can be target.

15. Virus. Well not bad at all. She can be used.

16. Initiate. Basic soldier, he has weakest armor of basics soldiers, but in turn can be overpowered when garrisoned.

17. Yuri prime. he proved to be the most used hero, mind controlling buildings and selling them ,especially defenses (without brain !!!). But he had the weak strength for hero.

18. Gattling Tank. Well he is OK, probably the best anti air unit, but he is slowest anti air unit compared to flack track and IFV and rarely can get to shoot at full speed! But placed in tank bunker, rare aircraft can get in your base.

19. Superweapons. Both good and bad in same time. Psychic Dominator is the fastest superweapon around, but in turn he cannot destroy units, just buildings and mind control very small amount of units. I prefer more destroying everything rather than destroying buildings plus mind controlling one or two. Genetic mutator also can be the best and the worse superweapon. The best is because it can turn enemy infantry in brutes, especially costly ones. Plus you can turn your own slaves into brutes to sell them. But the worse is if enemy or you do not have infantries around because it affects only infantries.

So overall, Yuri's army is very specific, not decent, it is good and bad in same time, but mostly it has useless units against real players.

Yes it is half done. Why for, I do not know, I can guess only. I think that Westwood did not have time to make such new logics for small time, so they used good idea which by theory and visual sounds and look good, but ingame are completely useless for players. In turn, in campaign you have Yuri statues, Yuri Fortress and command center, one of best buildings in game, sadly which are designed just for one mission, especially lunar theater, and dinosaurs.

PPM Halloween Season 2021

noki
Combat Engineer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I actually like the half-done way of the yuri army, as it opens up for unit combos and not the usual strategy and becomes very unique, differently from the Allied and Soviet sides (But since i only play against AI i cant say much #Tongue).

it would be cool if the Soviet and Allied sides were more specific in their technology like Yuri is.

Darkstorm
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's always good to hear what people have to say but I think Atomic_Noddles was talking about the scrapped concepts for Yuri's Army that were supposed to make his army complete.

Things like the Rift Gun, Research Junction, and Parasite Trooper. (Assuming I'm recalling these correctly.)

I'm really interested to see if anyone will ever use prerequisite upgrades to replicate the Research Junction building or concept. So far, I haven't seen anyone that has used upgrades to that capacity.

Speeder
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

How about a Boomer which you build at the War Factory and drop into the water via cargo? #Tongue

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
Atomic_Noodles
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Darkstorm wrote:
It's always good to hear what people have to say but I think Atomic_Noddles was talking about the scrapped concepts for Yuri's Army that were supposed to make his army complete.

Things like the Rift Gun, Research Junction, and Parasite Trooper. (Assuming I'm recalling these correctly.)

I'm really interested to see if anyone will ever use prerequisite upgrades to replicate the Research Junction building or concept. So far, I haven't seen anyone that has used upgrades to that capacity.

Research Junction I'm guessing though was like GDI Upgrade Center but instead functions for improving/locking out specific units? And not just unlock Superweapons

I.E: Psychic Research would give you a Psychic Tower & the Mastermind while the Firepower Research would let you build AP Bullet Gatling Units/Buildings once you finished that Upgrade?

Speeder
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
MasterHaosis
General

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Speeder wrote:
How about a Boomer which you build at the War Factory and drop into the water via cargo? #Tongue

hehe, I did not know about it, I though you were joking when I read that.
As far I know this cannot be done.

Atomic_Noodles, here is my old Pre release YR Screenshots thread

http://www.ppmsite.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30969

Atomic_Noodles
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Heh... wouldn't that Boomer Idea be possible with Ares Delivery Superweapon? IIRC you could use that to use CarryAll's to deliver the unit.

And making the Naval Yard require AuxBuilding?

MasterHaosis
General

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

As we already discussed there about this last year.

Yuri indeed was supposed to have blue tubes on psychic towers, Yuri had different models for lasher, Mastermind and magnetrons. Boomer had one rocket, perhaps same as drenaughts.
Prism Towers supposed to have blue explosion, Floating Disc supposed to have that beam explosion. We have supposed to get better Egypt pyramid.
Hey Atomic_Noodles, since you have great art skills. You can use this screenshot to resize and make/edit that Pyramid.You need to clean two discs from pyramid's borders at first place.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace! 

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum