Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:40 pm
All times are UTC + 0
Happy new year!
Moderators: Global Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [18 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Banshee
Supreme Banshee

Also Known As: banshee_revora (Steam)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:47 am    Post subject:  Happy new year!
Subject description: PPM plans for 2013 are all here. But these are just plans... the reality will be different.
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Happy new year everyone! As usual, we wish you all the best. I know it's january 3rd here, so I'm sorta late with it. I had a trip at the end of the last year and I've also lost some time with the procedures to make TiberiumWeb work in this server.

If you remember our last happy new year news, we had the following plans:

Quote:
Our plans for 2012 are expanding the site to cover other games (not necessarily Command & Conquer) and using VXLSE III to help people to create 3D models optimized for the latest game engines. We may not necessarily finish this mission in 2012, but we'll certainly progress with that, like what we did in 2011. The new C&C games like Generals 2, Tiberium Alliances and even Tiberian Twilight are not moddable, but they'll still be covered, since they'll certainly be an important source of inspiration for many modders that lurks in this community. We'll keep motivating modders and play with the old and moddable games (including RA3) and we persistently show people that playing modded old games is still a very fun experience.

So, let's analyze each point of these plans:

- Expand the site to cover non-C&C games: We've actually started working in a project called 'Project Perfect Indie', however, it has failed due to lack graphics resources and it was later renamed. I am still working at an automatic way to generate these graphics resources to eventually reorganize this site into portals. And we'll have portals dedicated to other games.

- Progress with VXLSE III's 3D model export feature: This has been done although, as I said, it's not finished. We are able to generated models that maths consider 'manifolds', which allows other programs to manipulate them in a proper way. It has been documented in a master dissertation (in portuguese). We still have a long path ahead to use these models in games like Generals.

- News coverage on Tiberian Twilight, Generals 2 and Tiberium Alliances: I think we only covered Generals 2 and that was done in a very restricted manner, since we don't have much info on this game. We all know it will have 3 factions: GLA, European Union and an asian faction. We've dropped Tiberium Alliances coverage, specially after a NDA violation from one of the hosted mods and there was no news about Tiberian Twilight. But TT's case was quite unfair, since WrathEd is actually able to mod this game, according to Ju-Jin (Lauren)

- Motivate modders to play C&C games older than Tiberian Twilight: Mission accomplished. Any words on that one?

The last year was also special for several interesting mods that joined our ranks, some mod releases and the News Tracker that has made our frontpage active regardless of the months that my university has reduced my activity in this site into ashes. We've also got our financial situation transparent to our users, which helped us to get very nice donations. We've even got a serious advertiser here at the end of the year.

And... what are our plans for 2013? The same plans for 2012. We need to advance with these plans in order to focus on new objectives. And also we'll always try to expand this place ensuring that the existing parts are still updated and maintained with low effort. That's quite a challenge when you run a site, but it's fun and it still keeps me motivated to improve this place.

Happy 2013 and enjoy this community!

Key Words: #ProjectPerfectMod #News #PPMForums #HappyNewYear #Forum 

Last edited by Banshee on Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:16 am; edited 4 times in total

Nolt
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Great news, It's good to hear that you're thinking on expanding rather than suffering the oposite, can you expand the "PPI" idea a little further? I want to know what's that about.

Creator of Shattered Paradise .
ORA Discord https://discordapp.com/invite/tuhp9m6 , SP Discord https://discord.gg/hk428Wk

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Project Perfect Indie should be a portal that will aid people to develop games from scratch or using well known engines. It should also provide a simple news coverage on indie games and game engines. I'm in doubt if I call it Project Perfect Indie or Project Perfect Game.

Nolt
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There is a BIG difference betwen a big company game and an Indie game, Indie games are normally quality games made by fans or small companies, that reach their goals with little resources, they represent the oposite that company games are, big, clumsy groups leaded by people who only care about making money from the masses, there are cases and cases, but I'm sure that indies represent what we are actually doing.
if you're going to make the portal, go ahead with PPI, please.

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The term indie is too much generic. It can refer to anything and not just games. When you wanna develop a game, you develop a game. Not an indie. Your game is an indie game (since you are not a big company), but it is not just an indie.

Nolt
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well I like the word indie, because of the pride it carries, but you got a good point there, I don't think that "Project Perfect Indie Game" would sound good.

OrangeNero
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:33 am    Post subject: Re: Happy new year! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Banshee wrote:

- Expand the site to cover non-C&C games: We've actually started working in a project called 'Project Perfect Indie', however, it has failed due to lack graphics resources and it was later renamed. I am still working at an automatic way to generate these graphics resources to eventually reorganize this site into portals. And we'll have portals dedicated to other games.

Just like with new TiberiumWeb I cannot see how that should be succesful. Have you looked at IndieDB? Its a dead place but with thousands of people. modders for games gather at the games forum or at sites dedicated to mod that certain game.

Age of empires got the Age of heavens sites.

Sacred got its wiki and german community and others.

Star wars empire at war hang out at some heavens site.

cryengine dudes hang out at some place too.

A modding site lives when people can be reached by it who mod and know how to mod. Or when there are tutorials and downloads but then its a silent leecher site. Unless you can't get the key people from the established sites to join you this can AFAIK only lead to nowhere. And in all honesty leaving an established site dedicated to mod a game for some new site is idiotic. You got to unite knowledge not split it.

Graphic ressources should be your least problem. I don't come here because I like the banner.

I foresee that if you try to become some MODDB thingy you're gonna fail hard but hey good luck Smile but speak to the key people of moddable games and if they want to migrate over.

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Errr... first of all, I'm not leaving any site.

And... I won't build these things entirelly from scratch. We have content here that may serve as a start and the forums that is already visited by many people. We are just trying to reach new niches.

0warfighter0
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Project Indie Game?

And a happy new year to all of you too.

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Offer new possibilities, then let the community accept and use it.
Sounds to me like the perfect plan for any Admin to make his site more popular and accepted by more people.

So go for it Banshee. Smile

Just make sure that the known and well accepted PPM isn't changed too much (e.g. removing, renaming, reordering the known PPM forums would be bad when trying to get the new stuff organized and well integrated into PPM)

Happy new year PPM and Banshee.

My name suggestion: Perfect Indie Development Project or Project Perfect Indie Development (to keep the PP prefix)

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Surely the main site (and particularly forum) should be updated before real expansion.

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It will, once I advance with the foundations of the new portal system.

Cranium
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

How about making a new year resolution to kick start what PPM was created for in the first place. The time is now Banshee! Razz

The enemy shall be injected with toxic poison - Venom

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The "Progress with VXLSE III's 3D model export feature" is part of it, Cranium.

Renegade
Cyborg Artillery

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

0warfighter0 wrote:
Project Indie Game?

And a happy new year to all of you too.

Can we please call the forum members "PIGs"?

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Like Guinea PIGs? Laughing

Nolt
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, like Guinea pigs, well need a new banner filled with those Laughing ,or maybe just the word PIG in every rank posible...

Creator of Shattered Paradise .
ORA Discord https://discordapp.com/invite/tuhp9m6 , SP Discord https://discord.gg/hk428Wk

Zengar_Zombolt
Plasma Trooper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Happy new year! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Banshee wrote:

- News coverage on Tiberian Twilight, Generals 2 and Tiberium Alliances: [~]and there was no news about Tiberian Twilight. But TT's case was quite unfair, since WrathEd is actually able to mod this game, according to Ju-Jin (Lauren)

Wait, TT is moddable? When did this happen! I'd jump on that one right now.

There is Nothing I can not Cut!

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [18 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace!