Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:32 pm
All times are UTC + 0
Trouble Beyond (2)
Moderators: Global Moderators, Tiberian Sun Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Jehal
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:45 am    Post subject:  Trouble Beyond (2)
Subject description: My first map
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I threw myself into TS mapping a few days ago, and I have got to admit that I have been absorbed.

Anyway, this is the first map I've made. Although making a map for a twelve and half year old game seemed like a weird idea, I'm glad I did, because I have learned a lot through the process.

Map name: Trouble Beyond
Players: 2
Time of day: Night
Ion storms: Yes
Downlaod link: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6034290/Leveldesign/troublebeyondv01.mpr

>> Link to full ingame view of the map
>> Link to full editor view of the map

I would have liked to add mutants, alien lifeforms and triggers to make the map become more alive. However, after loads of testing, I thought it was fine as it is.
Comments and critique is warmly welcome. I hope you enjoy Smile

The map is also uploaded on my personal site.

EDIT:

Map update 1: Fixed cliff error and identical cliffs being next to each other. Screenshots are updated.

A few screenshots:

Last edited by Jehal on Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:08 pm; edited 5 times in total

gufu
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Is that some delicious cliff errors I see on the third picture?

Orac
President

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Needs more variation in choice of cliff tile, otherwise rather good. Continue!

^Rampastein
Rampastring

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You shouldn't use the same cliff piece too often but variate them. Placing the same piece right next to itself makes it look unnatural and rushed. The cliffs are also too straight. Other than that, it looks pretty good for being your first map.

Aro
Alcohol Fueled

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It looks like he's using the auto-cliff tool, which is a definite no-no.

Also, I think your avatar just gave me AIDS.

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Looks very good for a start! Any cliff errors etc should of course be fixed but from the screenshots it looks very nicely detailed and pretty well lit. If I played TS much I'd check it out for real. #Tongue

Jehal
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank you for the feedback.

I've updated the map. Changed cliffs that were the same tile and next to each other. Also fixed the obvious cliff error on the third screenshot (don't know how I missed that one).

Zero18
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Looks great for a beginner. Add some variety like mountains, lifeforms and some bases or cities to make it interesting!

Oh, also, how do you do the in-game full viewer? Did you zoom out or are there any program that takes it in-game view?

Jehal
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks.

I did the full-view by piecing together screenshots in Photoshop.

Ixith
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Like they all said, it looks pretty good for your first map.

I do see some areas on the Full editor view where it appears you, probably accidentally, put a piece of LAT on where you had a cliff connecter piece for where the cliffs change directions (those 1 tile pieces that only have a smidge of burgundy line on their corners)

I think while some areas of your cliffs seemed too straight for the most part you did a decent job at making them not too straight. I think the biggest offender of the too straight/blocky area for me is the bottom mid area where that civilian area is.
Also I noticed there's only 1 bridge repair hut on each of those bridges. Perhaps you have a reason for it, but if not try to include one on each end of a bridge so that both sides can repair that section of bridge if needed.

I think I saw 1 shore error in that middle island/lake area on the right side of it.
And the only other thing I can really note is that you should probably reduce the Level part of your lighting slightly as right now you can see the line on the cliffs from the height change in lighting. At least in some areas where there's a contrast between the normal map lighting and invisible light posts.

and finally...do I see a couple spots of tiberium on grass! omgrawwwrrr... (sorry inside joke that I had to bring up since I saw it lol)

Hopefully you'll make more maps as you have potential and I'd like to see how you progress.

*comments based on the full map previews ingame and editor*

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon