Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:56 am
All times are UTC + 0
Mammoth MKII
Moderators: Global Moderators, Media Hut Moderators, Red Alert 2 Moderators, Tiberian Sun Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 2 of 2 [75 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Ickus
General

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:45 am    Post subject:  :V Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That's the XO powersuit, which is a lot more powerful than the wolverine. However the armor of the XO seems to be significantly lower than the TS Wolverine armor. (a single hit and already system failures)

But the XO is definitely better looking than the TW mechwarrior wolverine.

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

Orac
President

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Lin Kuei Ominae wrote:
But the XO is definitely better looking than the TW mechwarrior wolverine.

What? The XO suit looks ridiculous. It's like an egg with limbs (I'm not saying TS Wolwerine is any more interesting). No way could it hold all those advanced weapons (lasers, even missile launchers?).

Although, the concept art looks miles better than the final model.

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

XO is a lot more C&C style and design than the TW mechwarrior mechs.
Even if it might be egg-shaped, the fact that there is actually a visible cockpit, fully functional legs and arms make the XO in my eyes a lot better.

The XO has only 2 laser cannons, one on each arm. No missiles.
The XO is also a suit and not a vehicle like the later TS and TW mechs (even if the TS wolverine is still more a suit than a vehicle, as the driver is most probably standing inside it and controls it with arms and leg movemennt. In the XO the soldier is really standing with the legs inside the XO legs.

Public SHPs

Tools

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It actually has what looks like a triple-barreled minigun on one arm, a missile launcher and a laser on the other.

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh, cool. I didn't know there is a highres version of the FMV available too. Do you know a link to it?

Though 35mm isn't a very big rocket. More a bigger self-propelled bullet. #Tongue

Public SHPs

Tools

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nah, I got this image from C&C wiki. I don't know if the high-res FMV exists anymore.

EVA-251
General

Also Known As: evanb90

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Lin Kuei Ominae wrote:
Oh, cool. I didn't know there is a highres version of the FMV available too. Do you know a link to it?

Though 35mm isn't a very big rocket. More a bigger self-propelled bullet. #Tongue
Westwood is bad @ weapon calibers

Volgin
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Westwood is just illogical at weapons period. Does that laser have milimeters as a measurement?

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Westwood is illogical with everything.

OrangeNero
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Lin Kuei Ominae wrote:
The XO is also a suit and not a vehicle like the later TS and TW mechs (even if the TS wolverine is still more a suit than a vehicle, as the driver is most probably standing inside it and controls it with arms and leg movemennt. In the XO the soldier is really standing with the legs inside the XO legs.

I think I read in the german TS manual that the Wolverine is a remote controlled robot. Same with the buggy. Then again it was written in the manual that the APC had a machinegun and the cyborg commando a minigun and flamethrower... Overall WW didn't seem to be very serious or cannon true to their stuff. If it was fun they did it.

Bittah Commander
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

To be honest that inconsistency in the German C&C versions don't count because it was most likely just changed to fit in with the whole "all infantry are cyborgs" thing because of Germany's hyper-sensitivity concerning war related things at the time.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL
gufu
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think that laser says "MG" rather than "MM". Something related to it's capabilities? Though, I am more used to see people use Joules to somehow judge the capabilities of laser weaponry.

Lin Kuei Ominae wrote:

And apparently it is armed with a bolter.

Zengar_Zombolt
Plasma Trooper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Still wondering how you go from the XO to the stub legs on the Wolv...

There is Nothing I can not Cut!

SMIFFGIG
General

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's a giant mechanical Mammoth war machine
you are questioning the realism of its feet dampeners?

Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

gufu wrote:
Lin Kuei Ominae wrote:

And apparently it is armed with a bolter.

I thought of the same #Tongue Although bolter shells are (according to Lexicanum) .75 cal, which is afaik smaller then 35mm.

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

SMIFFGIG wrote:
It's a giant mechanical Mammoth war machine
you are questioning the realism of its feet dampeners?

I thought i might have missed a detail or someone has an idea how they could work in their current arrangement.

But after watching closer the ingame FMV (especially the one where the Nod base is wiped out by the MMKII), i noticed that even WW had no clue how to animate them. You can see at one point that the side dampers are only connected to the toe and not at all with the lower leg.

Public SHPs

Tools

Orac
President

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh the Powerloader. One of my most favorite vehicles.
I like that Caterpillar even reported, that shortly after the movie came out, they had serious requests if they sell them and how much they cost.
I think this shows really well how realistic looking and working they made them in the movie.

Functionality wise the Powerloader would be similar to the XO, as it is also controlled by a 1:1 mapping of the drivers movement on the vehicle.

Public SHPs

Tools

Orac
President

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Although in the first shot of the Powerloader walking, it is clearly being supported by a crane rig. Same for the queen.

...But damn do I wish I could own that sculpt.

Last edited by Orac on Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:05 am; edited 1 time in total

SMIFFGIG
General

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Orac wrote:
Perhaps you'd be better of critiquing the realism of a mech which appeared in higher resolution, with more dynamic animation? (From Aliens (1986))

now thats a cool mech, and believable

Lin Kuei Ominae wrote:
I like that Caterpillar even reported, that shortly after the movie came out, they had serious requests if they sell them and how much they cost.
I think this shows really well how realistic looking and working they made them in the movie.

haha never knew this, maybe at some point in the near future?

NimoStar
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

G-E
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

NimoStar wrote:
"Walking war machines are inherently unrealistic. "

The US army doesn't seen to think so...

The US Army is a scheme to rob taxpayers of as much money as possible with the most expensive and unrealistic projects.

EVA-251
General

Also Known As: evanb90

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

there's really no point to walking war machines/mechs IRL.

no way for them to survive in the modern long-range battlefield. It's why all of the fiction that has mechs alter the rules (or have settings) so that they don't get instantly vaporized once they come into sight.

nice necropost btw

Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon