Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:13 pm Post subject:
Let's be gentle from now on? Please, join this campaign.
Subject description: Help to improve the environment here.
Hey everyone. I've seen a lot of posts were people propose ideas, projects or whatever... or simply ask for some help and the response is escalating into a flame war or a bashing session. Let's be honest, no forums will survive if we have a community that has such high expectations and act with hostility or endless heated arguments.
But that can change if YOU change your attitude and help to make PPM become a friendly place for everyone.
This place welcomes anyone to post resources, start projects, ask for help, etc. By anyone, we mean newbies, people who lacks skills or even professionals. We've seen a lot of work or attempts from newcomers to end up being bashed because the person who announces it has no idea that their projects is too much ambitious for what they are capable of doing or the quality of their project is too low. Regarding this last point, let's be honest that even work from professionals are not necessarily unanymous (just take a look at any news post about something EA produces, if you need a sample). In this case:
- Warn the person about the impossibility of the execution of the project (in case it is too ambitious), explaining which steps the person might have problems to execute.
- If the quality of the work is too low, explain (or post links to tutorials) how the person can improve their work. Elaborate steps if possible. Words like 'this stuff is crap' does not explain anyone nor helps anyone to improve. People do not have crystall ball or they may not have the sensibility to figure out that certain actions actually do a tremendous difference to the quality of their work.
- Respect their objectives, even if they seem to be reinventing the wheel. Sometimes, they are not revealing all reasons behind their actions. If you heartly disagree with it, stop posting.
- If you have huge walls of posting to do, use bold, underline and italic to spotlight the most important points. People usually do not like huge posts like this one nor pay attention to its details.
- If the person ignores your words, tell them that you cannot help anymore and stop posting after that.
- If you notice that somebody is not acting in good faith. Do not try to be the superhero. Instead, report the post to the moderators or administrators and post a link to this post in a reply.
- Don't bash people's work. Explain how to improve it instead. People are here to learn.
- Endless arguments must be avoided, as it only delays the community. People are able to read your advise in a single post. If you notice that you are not being listened, just tell the person that you cannot help anymore and stop posting after that.
- Do not insult people, regardless if you are a very old member, skilled modder, do have a influencial tool, have an uber popular mod, have 1337 game hacking skills, are moderator or administrator of an important site. You are not above the laws of this place. With this kind of attitude, you'll loose respect here. If you are pissed off with the person, tell them that you cannot help them anymore and stop posting.
- Being flamed does not warrant you the right to flame in return, nor to act in a hostile way. Report the topic to the moderator instead.
- Do not attack people if they have troubles with the english language. Remember that the vast majority of the visitors of this place are not english native speakers. In fact, those who administrate this place do not speak english natively either. And some languages are very different from english (I.e.: japanese) and Google's translation service is not as reliable as we desire.
And finally: bear in mind that humans have the ability to learn things and improve themselves. Sometimes it may take some time, but with some effort and patience, things can work out.
If we all act in a better way, we'll have a much friendlier community and more projects and goodies to enjoy in the future. Please, make a change and do the difference here. We are counting on you. QUICK_EDIT
Joined: 10 Sep 2006 Location: Birmingham, United Kingdom
Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:18 am Post subject:
Need harder "police" :p
Active moderators. _________________ I no longer work on Twisted Insurrection or take part in community discussions. Any messages directed towards myself will go unanswered.
Please direct any queries towards the other team members. QUICK_EDIT
You cannot post new topics in this forum You can reply to topics in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum You cannot attach files in this forum You can download files in this forum