Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:40 am
All times are UTC + 0
Hold The Line: Project Hosting Is Harder Now!
Moderators: Global Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Banshee
Supreme Banshee

Also Known As: banshee_revora (Steam)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 1:21 am    Post subject:  Hold The Line: Project Hosting Is Harder Now! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

We are getting stricter on hosting new RA2 and TS projects. The reason is simple: excess of jobs in the current ones and lack of support in the majority of them.

Truth to be said: PPM has much more projects than it should have with the ammount of visitors we currently have. If you wonder why Red Generals, TS Retro and even TS: Total Wars growed faster than the newer projects here, the reason is not only competence of the current modders involved with it, but these projects received a very nice support when they gained their forums here, specially Red Generals. Red Generals started only with Tratos and many people joined it in the first month. TS Retro gained the support of good people like Seaman, Finalmoon and Firestorm and many fans also that provided feedback and other kind of help giving them motivation to make it better. Tiberian Sun: Total Wars received a great support also, specially when it went beta few months ago.

Many of the other mods joined here and didnt had the same luck. A great example is Project New Tiberia Age... that Cole stopped working on it due to absolutely no kind of support he received (or almost nothing) and his mod is very nice as far as I could play it. Iceman is also dismotivated with RA2: Corrupt World support (see the news) which certainly doesnt motivates anyone at all... Operation World Defense is also in urgent need of staff, specially SHP makers. And... What happened to Shadow Of Darkness and Tiberian Sun Artificial Inteligence? Well... no comments.. Many of these mods have a great potential, but with no support , no one goes anywhere.

From the new mods that joined us, one of them which had a luck to get a good support and improve a lot is RA2 Massive Destruction. If you see how it started to what it is today... the difference is great and it really improved a lot.

The purpouse of PPM is not to just host mods. It's to give the oportunity to unknown mods to become good, known and played mods.

For now, the prerequisites to be hosted here, are harder... but still possible *looks at Battle Mech*. Battle Tech is a mod with a great potential, it's being worked very well and it's being supported here. Sorry for any inconvenience and I hope you understand why we are being a bit boring recently in the matters of hosting mods, but we are still hosting them... feel free to participate of this community, support the current projects and learn and exchange knowledge to make of your mod a better mod. That's all for now and have a nice day/night.

SMIFFGIG
General

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think you should also mention banshee that the Mod leaders themselves have to be motivated

You cant just make a mod and then decide one day u want it hosted on a site, although the fact is youve either not even started the mod or done three lines of coding.

Before i asked banshee for TSR to be hosted here, it was a fully operational mod that had infact been around for over a year, but i had not been bothered to release it and simply played it online with a few mates (which lead to it having such a great foundation to build upon due to so many bugs ironed out and balancing issues)

They need to be something original too, I see so many mods for RA2 that are simply collections of other peoples work, as much as I dont like nor play RA2/YR (i do own them both) nor do I look out in the RA2 community for new mods to play, 2 have stuck in my mind (although i havent played them) they are Allies Revenge 2 and Moomans mod. This is mainly because they are original (of course i know they have a much larger following than most which helps them get noticed)

People getting newly hosted shouldnt of course be expected to be at that sort of standard straight away, but i think they should be expected to have something substantial to show (not collections of other ppls work) and have a real good basis for the mod.

Anyway thats all, hope modders and banshee takes this into consideration Wink

P.S. Im not trying to scare people off.... but i know if a modder is keen enough and skilled enough this whole post will not even be an issue Wink

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Of course motivation is extremely important. As for plug'n'play mods, I already made a vast campaign on this (and it even gained a poll about this subject). We are supporting any development of tools to make graphics easier... we failed with the 3DPS which would be an ultimate way to make voxels and shps in seconds... SMIFF... we have researched a lot, tried a lot... but the problem is that it doesnt depends only of motivation of my motivation. I constantly spread news of any projects... many of them are being rellayed in many sites and my big thanks for that goes to unidentifiedname from http://cnc.unleashed.ws and his great round ups covering the news in PPM and we have been constantly helping members in MSN, in forums, posting ideas, helping with graphics (Sk8erkid's case), etc...

But people have to understand that PPM universe helps, but it's limited. Many of them doesnt spread the word of their project outside PPM. Exceptions goes to the some of the projects mentioned above like Retro and RA2 Massive Destruction. But sometimes this doesnt help much... Devin also had hard efforts of spreading O:WD's words around... If you guys have any ideas to have, any comments, go ahead... but at the moment, we dont want to un-host any of the mods...

SMIFFGIG
General

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Banshee i wasnt talking about your motivation at all, I know the work you do involving this site and its hosted mods and its great, I cant faulter it.

Im talking about the motivation of mod leaders (not all of course)

Reaperrr
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think it's the right decision. If I had only 2 or 3 more ppl in my team, Return of the Dawn could be finished within a month, but obviously all talented mappers/modders are already busy with different projects, so it will take some more time.
I spent 3 or 4 months on version 1.0 of my mod last year, and I'm working on version 2.0 for about 5 months now.

Ok, it was my mistake not to go anywhere like here and search for people earlier, but still, it's really disappointing if your mod is almost finished and you're still far away from it's release because you have to do almost everything on your own including things you're not that good at, because all those who could help you already take part in other projects.

Don't misunderstand me, it's good that there are many projects, it would be boring if there were only few, but all the experienced and talented modders are spread wide, which results in many projects progressing very slowly at the same time.
My suggestion: You PPM guys make a forum for all those who aren't satisfied with the progress of their project, to get a better overview, then it's easier to help each other. There we could make topics like "which things can you do (ini, 2d, vxl)?" and "at which progression stage is your project?" to make the whole thing a little more organized and to help deciding the priority of each project. I think you'll agree it might be better to concentrate on 2 or 3 projects at a time and when one is finished go to the next one instead of working on 10 projects at the same time and in the end only half of them passing beta stage.

For example I would really like to help on any other project, if in exchange someone would help me finishing mine.

Well, it's pretty late now, have to go to bed (In the name of Kane! Wink )

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

this forum exist: forum hosting support. It's in the Backstage under the classified forums... restricted only to mod leaders and Des08tor (global spy)

zdflamer2
Shrapnel Sniper

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well I'm a bit low on team on my project although i have a 3d artist (lrendall), Scrinlord, Fremen and I know quite a bit about generals coding and generals mapping and , but I still looking for a few more people. This mod used to have a team but a lot of them left on the Tumsun.com relaunch a few years ago, I have no idea what happened to firesnake

Well I'm fresh with loads of original ideas and I know how all the codings going to work.

The DvD
TiberiumWeb.com Webmaster

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The problem is, ZD in fact you don't have a mod... just a plan. That's the problem with many projects here.

zdflamer2
Shrapnel Sniper

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i need more ppl, theres a load of good generals modders out there and they r wasting there time freelancing and making random units, its annoying. and most ppl arent interested if u dont have screenshots and how the hell am i gonna make a decent screenshot without any 3d images, i have a ton of conscept art and im gonna put that on as soon as possible, maybe then i may get the support

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hunt time, my friend, hunt time... try posting in Deezire, Origin, Sleipnir Stuff and other forums for staff... The plans you have for Tiberian Twilight Evolution really rock.. and I hope to see it applied one day..

The DvD
TiberiumWeb.com Webmaster

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Indeed, such a mod is really great... the tiberian universe is sooo much cooler than the generals "universe"

SMIFFGIG
General

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
The problem is, ZD in fact you don't have a mod... just a plan

Thats one of the reasons we decided to no longer host u at TumSun

Many people have good ideas, but few can put them into action[/quote]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

you don't remember what i said in the hidden forum bansh ?

you take in the begining just after hshadow and total war some mod without any preview of it, just a text and then you take them immediately ...

i told you, take only mod that already have a small potential, if you took a mod where nothing is already made or just one or two things, ........ you know the answer Rolling Eyes

stucuk
Geek

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

zdflamer2 wrote:
i need more ppl, theres a load of good generals modders out there and they r wasting there time freelancing and making random units, its annoying. and most ppl arent interested if u dont have screenshots and how the hell am i gonna make a decent screenshot without any 3d images, i have a ton of conscept art and im gonna put that on as soon as possible, maybe then i may get the support

use random units(ones that look similer to ones you have in consept art, or in soem cases a random model) that these freelancers are making, and make a mod(well start of one), get screen shots, then when you get a 3d guy, get him to remake the units how they are ment to b.

You could get to work on the interface, menu's etc.

zdflamer2
Shrapnel Sniper

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

SMIFFGIG wrote:
Quote:
The problem is, ZD in fact you don't have a mod... just a plan

Thats one of the reasons we decided to no longer host u at TumSun

Many people have good ideas, but few can put them into action
[/quote]

this was a tiberiumsun.com mod, it was gonna be called possibly tumsun generals, it was scrinlords idea, i was just a guy who came up with some ideas. the ones which lrendall posted were the ideas from a year and a half ago

the problem is generals mods and renegade mods take longer to get off there feet, thats because theres more coding and the graphics r harder to make

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace!