Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:18 pm
All times are UTC + 0
RedAlert2/YR and Windows 8
Moderators: Global Moderators, Offtopic Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [37 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Cranium
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:40 pm    Post subject:  RedAlert2/YR and Windows 8 Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Has anyone been able to get RedAlert2/YR to work with windows 8? Ive tried installing it, but keeps throwing me a DirectX incompatible screen. any solutions? I have DirectX 11.

The enemy shall be injected with toxic poison - Venom

Cranium
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, its seems any C&C game prior to RedAlert 3 will not work on windows 8. So if any of you plan on getting a Win8 system plan on keeping your old computer for modding.

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Copypasting RA2 files and using that LH_Mousefix combo doesn't work?

=======================
WeiDU mods: Random Graion Tweaks | Graion's Soundsets
Maintainance: Extra Expanded Enhanced Encounters! | BGEESpawn
Contributions: EE Fixpack | Enhanced Edition Trilogy | DSotSC (Trilogy) | UB_IWD | SotSC & a lot more...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID
Scorched Earth
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mine works....

Cranium
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I haven't tried the copy paste file thing yet, i'll give it a go and see. all the earlier games, Tiberian Sun, RedAlert2, Yuri's Revenge all give me the same message. I stick the disc in the drive, click on the install .exe and few seconds later it says, DirectX Error.  Confused  My RedAlert 3 and C&C 3 installed just fine though.

@Scorched Earth, may I ask how you did your install? did you just insert disc and install or did you do something else like Graion suggested?

Cranium
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OM, I tried the copy/paste thing. Gives me the ****Fatal String operation***** thing. But that may be due to it not being in the registry. I know how to get to the regedit, but don't know what to add for RA2 or YR.  Confused

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Run with admin, fatal string seems to be that.

Before the HDD crash I had a portable YR registry but as far as I know YR only uses that for serial check, nothing more.

=======================
Contributions: EE Fixpack | Enhanced Edition Trilogy | DSotSC (Trilogy) | UB_IWD | SotSC & a lot more...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID
Cranium
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So far all attempts and solutions have failed,  Laughing  Someone did tell me that TFD works on win8 but the individual disks wont,  Confused  My disks are like 11 yrs old  Surprised

ahh well I guess until I find a solution, i'll have to use the P4 I just acquired for modding purposes.

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Have you tried the XWIS version? (tho that doesn't like Ares).

=======================

Cranium
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

na, I wont do the xwis version. However i'm in the process of downloading the ultimate collection. has every C&C game up to C&C4. the guys at origin told me that if it dosent work I get my money back,  Very Happy

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sounds cool. UC executable is Ares-compatible. I had the exe for a test some months ago. Smile

=======================

Tore
Plasma Trooper

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Have you tried installing DirectX 9c? Windows 8 is missing a few components from it.

C&C1 and RA1 works fine on Win8 using cnc-ddraw Smile

Cranium
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

C&C DirectDraw?

and any idea what causes this?

error.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  399 KB
 Viewed:  6312 Time(s)

error.png

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Windowed mode needs 16-bit color depth, but you're using 32-bit.

=======================

Cranium
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Windowed mode? I'm not running window mode. I'm trying to run the game as I normally would. Nothing seems to work. Bahhh.

FurryQueen
General

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I got Red Alert 2 to run on Windows 8. I run it in a window, set it to XP SP2 compatibility, run as admin, disable display scaling and force it into 16-bit color mode. Works perfectly.

Steam

Cranium
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yeah, I don't know what the ztype is going on. Ive tried that already too.

Cranium
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Meh, screw it, Ive exhausted all my options. Installed the missing directx files, tried the compat, windowed, admin, crap. upgraded things and cant think of anything else. I did download the digital copy of RA2/YR and they work, but they run in a different manner, the exe's are hooked to origin online crap. So i'll have to wait till next Tuesday till I get the hard disks to find out. oh well, thnx alot for all the help and suggestions guys.

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey Cranium, have you disabled UAC?

=======================

DaRTzO
Laser Commando

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Works fine for some on the original CD install and 1.006 patch.

The XWIS version and my patched versions both don't work on Windows 8.

Cranium
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

@Graion, the UAC isn't the problem. Wish it were that simple....

@DaRTzO, yeah with my original 11 yr old disks I get an error everytime during install from all 3 TS, RA2, and YR disks.

DirectX error.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  4.91 KB
 Viewed:  6136 Time(s)

DirectX error.png

Cranium
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ive found a way to bypass Origins crap, I now have working copies of TS,RA2, and YR without having to deal with Origins online launcher stuff. Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Congratz! Very Happy

=======================

FurryQueen
General

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cranium wrote:
Ive found a way to bypass Origins crap, I now have working copies of TS,RA2, and YR without having to deal with Origins online launcher stuff. Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy

Care to share with the class?

Steam

Cranium
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yep, I just simply placed the .exe's from my disks into the folders. Unless someone finds a way to hack Origins .exe, this is the only way.

Cranium
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

crap, seem to be still having troubles. Although replacing the .exe's with mine, RA2 runs flawlessly, however i'm still getting this "Unable to set video mode" crap while launching YR. Whats so different between RA2 and YR concerning Video Modes.? Why would RA2 run and not YR? I'm confused here.

Cranium
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I guess there's no getting YR to work on my Windows 8. Ive tried my Original disks, Origin online works "but not if I exchange the exe's to get rid of the online crap", I even just bought TFD, which installed fully and every game works "TS,RA2,Renegade,Generals" except for YR,  Confused WTF!!!!!!!!!!
What in the ztype is this "Unable to set video mode" bullshit?
Arghhhhhhhhhh!@!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tore
Plasma Trooper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Unable to set video mode is usually related to your monitors/graphics card not supporting the resolution you are trying to run the game at.

Check if the resolutions in ra2.ini and ra2md.ini match and use the resolution from ra2.ini.

Cranium
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks Tore, this is weird, I changed resolutions in the ra2md.ini, but nothing worked, so what I did was copy paste the ra2.ini and renamed it ra2md.ini
So now the game does work finally, but I'm suffering massive lag. and idea's why the game is lagging really bad?

Tore
Plasma Trooper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cranium
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Woot!, even got my mod working on Win8. I haven't tried that graphic patcher yet, but my mod is lightning fast!

So, now that we have that all sorted out. I have another question. How do I get stuff off a IDE hard drive when my computer is only compatible with sata drives?

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ares already has that Graphics Patcher default enabled, Cranium.

You could use another PC and send the stuff through LAN. Or you could look out for an IDE-SATA converter to get them.

I'd go with the first option, maybe borrowing a PC just for that.

=======================

Cranium
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yeah, I know Ares already has the patcher. I was mentioning not using it yet for the normal game without ares which lags like crazy on win8.

I'm too lazy to do the lan thing, requires certain things to be done setting up lan sharing between win8 and a win xp system. I already ordered a bi-directional ide to sata/sata to ide connector, Wink

Von Kriplespac
General

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You could always buy a IDE/SATA to USB adapter?
Anything bigger then a laptop HDD will require a power source obviously, by the way.

Cranium
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Von Kriplespac wrote:
You could always buy a IDE/SATA to USB adapter?

cranium wrote:
I already ordered a bi-directional ide to sata/sata to ide connector, Wink

Von Kriplespac
General

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Whoops, just noticed you said that. My bad.

Cranium
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

np,  Razz

I also got 3dsMax2010 to work finally too. now to see if all c&c tools work on win8. Then all I need to do is transfer my mod data from the ide drive to this and i'm all set to resume operations. Very Happy

Also I have Max2010 32 bit edition, anyone know where I can get ahold of the 64 bit one?

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [37 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace! 

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum