Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:34 pm
All times are UTC + 0
Is origin safe?
Moderators: Global Moderators, Offtopic Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [23 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
tekka warrior
Stealth Laser Trooper

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 9:30 pm    Post subject:  Is origin safe? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Greetings!

I am planning to buy command and conquer 3 tiberium wars  on Origin, but most of the links in Google, said that origin is spyware, and scans your pc for personal information, and use it.

If so i guess i shouldnt buy it.

I am asking here on PPM cause i know it has alot of info regarding origin and such, an anwser from Banshee is also very good .

Cheers!

RP
Commander

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

From what I´ve heard, there are reports of people whose PC got eaten by Origin, so I´d say no.

When it first came out, people found out it was doing a lot of stuff it wasn't supposed to do, scan PC for unknown things IIRC.
After several updates they removed certain 'spyware' typed things. So now I would say it's fairly safe. Then again, it is only what your definition of safe is. Some people have no hard feelings using it, others do.

Why do you need an answer from Banshee? He did not create Origin Razz

Mental Omega 3.0 Mission creator - Creator of FinalOmega: APYR 3.0 Map Editor

/ppm/'s stupidity

Starkku
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's probably 'safe', as in it won't cause immediate harm to your system or try to steal your bank/credit card credentials or such. However, it is rather questionable and I'd say even unethical to collect information from your machine that does not relate to the use of Origin in any fashion. Therefore I'd declare it piece of shit and recommend against using or even installing it, if there are alternatives.

C&C3 is also available on Steam btw, altough it costs little bit more than on Origin. But atleast you don't have to bother your mind with these sorts of questions anymore.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID Twitter Channel URL
OrangeNero
Commander

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

you sure mods work on origin version? That game ain't worth it without mods.

Zero18
Commander

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Absolutely not. Origin is very bad program and I highly recommend that nobody use it. It is known to have hackers as well too. Get out and go to GameStop or store and see if they have new or used CC3.

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

Also Known As: banshee_revora (Steam)

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I must admit that I am not aware of what Origin really does with people's system. I think it collects some personal and system information and send it to EA. I don't know exactly what EA does with it.

To be honest, it's still better to buy the retail boxed version of the game first, since it comes with the manual and the limits to install the game you bought are reduced. If this option is not available (C&C3 is an old game, maybe), try Steam or even Origin. I personally prefer Steam, although both systems are bugged on some way and may be related to some of the bugs of the game or may slow down your game experience, since they run together with the game.

Orac
President

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I tried to like Origin because competition is good, and as much as I like Steam, I'd rather they didn't get to be a monopoly.  But EA's handling of Origin has been lackluster and idiosyncratic from the start.  While it may or may not be safe, its biggest issue may well be that it's just not very good at being a digital distribution platform.

tekka warrior
Stealth Laser Trooper

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 8:05 am    Post subject: Is origin safe? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank you for replying!

So i guess i should use steam then? cause i dont think it is spyware.

Thanks!

Martin Killer
Missile Trooper

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Don't turn on that Origin crap, it eats your memory. It's an annoying software, really.

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

tekka warrior wrote:
Thank you for replying!

So i guess i should use steam then? cause i dont think it is spyware.

Thanks!

go into a store and buy the box from the shelf
a) you get a full hardware version of it. You have a CD/DVD in your hand. Not only a virtual setup.exe somewhere on your HDD.
b) you don't need to register on any questionable site
c) you don't need a useless client running in the background to run the game
d) i never used Steam or any of that kind, but aren't you even forced to buy a game again, once you lost all the data? e.g. broken HDD and your setup.exe is gone.

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

Orac
President

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

a) Yeah.

b) Steam isn't a questionable site, it's more a slightly-less-invasive form of DRM, store, and matchmaking service.

c) Steam's overlay client is pretty useful if you're playing games in a social setting, but I guess I can see your point.

d) Not only do you get to take your Steam library from computer to computer, you can have the games installed on as many machines as you like (though you can only play them on one at a time).  Additionally, the "Backup/Restore Games" option is awesome, since you can restore the game from your Steam-generated backup files instead of downloading it over again.

e) One word: Steam Summer Sale

Martin Killer
Missile Trooper

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Also:
- Origin is just a DRM that forces you to be online all the time.
- If you have a CD/DVD version, you don't need to download whole stuff from the internet
- No need of running Origin that may slow your PC.
- No annoying ads with promos or other annoying informations
- You can play the game without internet connection
- One day their games might not be available anymore to install from their servers. Your CD/DVD is a nice backup, personally I don't believe in longevity of electronic installations somewhere on cloud.

Last edited by Martin Killer on Mon May 06, 2013 9:35 am; edited 1 time in total

tekka warrior
Stealth Laser Trooper

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 9:35 am    Post subject: Is origin safe? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OK then no origin, nor steam.

I will get a CD/DVD because of the reasons you said,and i agree with all of them.

However are there still, legit original Red Alert 3, and C&C 3 CD'S?

(Not cracked and legal)

Martin Killer
Missile Trooper

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There should be a Red Alert 3 version for sure, Uprising is only downloadable.

tekka warrior
Stealth Laser Trooper

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 9:50 am    Post subject: Is origin safe? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks, and what about C&C 3?

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

They were both released on disc so just look for them. You can probably buy it from any online retailer or game shops with decent PC sections.

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

tekka warrior wrote:

Not sure how it is where you live, but here in Germany you can even still get C&C1 in stores. Such old games/classics come in a so called "Green Pepper" version which have only a simple plastic CD hull + CD and no manual for only 5.99€.

C&C3 is still a quite new game, so you can surely still get the full box.

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

Von Kriplespac
General

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Origin has non-existent security.

I got hacked recently, and when I called up EA, they only asked for my account name...not my security question, password, or anything.

I closed my account after that. Just isn't worth the risks and such.

=p

FurryQueen
General

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I run Steam and Origin and don't have any problems with either. I prefer having a hard copy of the disc, but more companies are using Steam and Origin so you're going to be hard pressed to be a PC gamer without either of those services. If you want to be legitimate that is.

Also, sales. Steam sales are awesome. Hell, even Origin had some good sales. I got Battlefield 3 and MOH: Warfighter for under $30. Total. Pretty damn good. Hell, I got every GTA on PC for $12.50 on Steam. The benefits of cheap gaming far outweigh the minimal risk and resources you use running either one.

[EDIT] For those of you whining about memory or resource consumption, you're barking at the wind. I'm currently running Steam and Origin and those together are using under 350 MB of RAM.

Steam

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

FurryQueen wrote:
[EDIT] For those of you whining about memory or resource consumption, you're barking at the wind. I'm currently running Steam and Origin and those together are using under 350 MB of RAM.

lol.

Not everyone runs 8 GB RAMmed PCs, y'know. I only have 2 GB f.e.

=======================
WeiDU mods: Random Graion Tweaks | Graion's Soundsets
Maintainance: Extra Expanded Enhanced Encounters! | BGEESpawn
Contributions: EE Fixpack | Enhanced Edition Trilogy | DSotSC (Trilogy) | UB_IWD | SotSC & a lot more...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID
Zero18
Commander

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Lin Kuei Ominae wrote:
tekka warrior wrote:

Not sure how it is where you live, but here in Germany you can even still get C&C1 in stores. Such old games/classics come in a so called "Green Pepper" version which have only a simple plastic CD hull + CD and no manual for only 5.99€.

C&C3 is still a quite new game, so you can surely still get the full box.

I got CC3 for only $19.99 few months after it came out.  Rolling Eyes Most of the games tend to cost like $34.99 - $59.99.

Martin Killer
Missile Trooper

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

FurryQueen wrote:
I run Steam and Origin and don't have any problems with either. I prefer having a hard copy of the disc, but more companies are using Steam and Origin so you're going to be hard pressed to be a PC gamer without either of those services. If you want to be legitimate that is.

Also, sales. Steam sales are awesome. Hell, even Origin had some good sales. I got Battlefield 3 and MOH: Warfighter for under $30. Total. Pretty damn good. Hell, I got every GTA on PC for $12.50 on Steam. The benefits of cheap gaming far outweigh the minimal risk and resources you use running either one.

8GB DDR3 and still playing Battlefield 3 with Origin turned on is a pure drama  Laughing

FurryQueen
General

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Not everyone runs 8 GB RAMmed PCs, y'know. I only have 2 GB f.e.

2048 > 350... or don't run both at all times and only when you want to actually do something with either. My laptop can run both at the same time perfectly well and it only has 2GB of RAM.

Quote:
8GB DDR3 and still playing Battlefield 3 with Origin turned on is a pure drama

If you say so. I can run BF3 on decent settings while still running everything else I normally run while gaming...

Steam

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [23 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace! 

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum