Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:04 am
All times are UTC + 0
The power of a single developper...
Moderators: Global Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Zaaz
Disk Thrower

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 2:07 am    Post subject:  The power of a single developper... Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

...is not enough...

Has anybody once thought they could remake the TS/RA2 engine ( in C++ or whatever with OpenGl/SFML or anything else for that matter),  spent quite a bit of time on it and then gave up?

I am probably in this process right now. I've been googling for terms '2D isometric engine' and such for like 2 days, and I found this:
https://github.com/xpac27/LittleWorld

I'll probably try to modify it and see if Im capable of rendering a TS map. But I'll probably just give up in a few weeks.

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

Also Known As: banshee_revora (Steam)

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Programming a game engine is not a trivial task, of course.

OpenRA is the closest thing I've seen from a decent 2D isometric engine.

The other close thing that should be a good start for you is this:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ccmaps/

4StarGeneral
General

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I had once tried remaking RA2 with Flash, but I found the pathfinding, height of terrain, and several other things are not the easiest thing to achieve in Flash. With that and working 2 jobs, I gave up.

Oh and it was pretty laggy.

UPDATE: Someone made a set of tutorials for building an RTS on Unity3D.

I'd have to go with Banshee, OpenRA is the closest you can get to a similar engine.

SMIFFGIG
General

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: The power of a single developper... Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Zaaz wrote:
...is not enough...

Has anybody once thought they could remake the TS/RA2 engine

This seems like the next step for OpenRA
and... its Open Source (if that wasn't obvious)

Why don't you go about working on your own branch of OpenRA to introduce isometric terrain with different heights?
or anything else you want? Smile

Zaaz
Disk Thrower

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks for the ccmaps link, I'll check it out.

As for OpenRA, the thing is that it's done in C# and I kinda want to try it in
C++, but I'll certainly check how they do their things.

Anyway, the goal is to learn and have fun, so even if I fail early, I hope at
least one of those goals will be reached haha.

Also, I was just wondering if many programmers had these crazy thoughts.

*Random note: the fact that OpenRA is still at it is impressive though. I wish
they had started with the visuals of TS, because I always thought the view in
TD was weird, but they are coming there, which is exciting.*

RP
Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I would not start with a full game yet. A wild suggestion might be to check out the map editors first, you get to see everything, but all the extra's like weapon handling, pathfinding is not included. You can focus on the visual part first, then start wiring the backend.

Mental Omega 3.0 Mission creator - Creator of FinalOmega: APYR 3.0 Map Editor

/ppm/'s stupidity

CCHyper
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There is something pd started on, but i'm not sure if i am aloud to show it. It is pretty much a map rendering app, can render remap too IIRC.

Renegade
Cyborg Artillery

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

When D looked at XNA, he built working rendering for voxels etc., iirc.

The more interesting question for you, Zaaz, should be: Who has started working on a replacement engine not in C++, despite being capable of it?
My point is, there is a reason OpenRA and a host of other C&C-related projects are either in C# or in Pascalesque languages: C++ is a wonderfully powerful and efficient language...but it's a ztyping pain in the ass for modern, everyday development.
I love C++ for what it is, and posting this from a Linux machine, you can trust me I'm no fan of Microsoft - but I'd still choose C#/.NET over C++/STL for everyday development any given time. In the time you waste dealing with strings in C++, you can build entire applications in C#/.NET.

It is commendable you want to look at C++. You should. The lower you go, the less usable higher languages become.
But do consider that creating an entire engine is a multi-year commitment, and that ease of development is a very important thing in the long run.
C++ might be new and exciting now. A year from now you may just want to code your damn engine, and not deal with C++'s intricacies.

At least try semi-complex development in both languages before committing to one of them for several years for a complex software project.

Matthias M.
Stealth Laser Trooper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: The power of a single developper... Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

SMIFFGIG wrote:
Zaaz wrote:
...is not enough...

Has anybody once thought they could remake the TS/RA2 engine

This seems like the next step for OpenRA
and... its Open Source (if that wasn't obvious)

Why don't you go about working on your own branch of OpenRA to introduce isometric terrain with different heights?
or anything else you want? Smile

No need for that. Sleipnir is working towards isometric terrain with different heights already. Internally we already expose the yet mostly unused Z coordinate. It took several months and required a refactor of almost anything, but I bet we soon may see some proper TMP(TS) support with the current speed of development.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace! 

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum