Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:45 pm
All times are UTC + 0
Voxelgeddon 2013
Moderators: Global Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 3 [109 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
Aro
Alcohol Fueled

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 1:13 pm    Post subject:  Voxelgeddon 2013
Subject description: (Free Reign Voxel Competition)
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Welcome to VOXELGEDDON 2013! The new voxel competition that I will host yearly shortly after the annual Cartographer's Call Competition. Voxelgeddon does not have a theme of any kind, the entrants will have free reign over their submissions and may submit any kind of voxel they desire, be it Allied, Soviet, Yuri, GDI, Nod, CABAL, Forgotten, China, America, GLA, Eejits, Gibberish, Something with a funny face, Aircraft, Vehicle, Navy, Projectile, bla bla bla, you get the point. Anyhow, onto the rules of the competition.

• Rules:

• 1) Only one submission per entrant
    • 2) The entry is to include the Voxel and HVA. If applicable, turret and barrel voxels and HVA's, offset values must also be provided.
    • 3) Voxels must be new and exclusive to the competition, previously released voxels or Westwood edits will not be accepted.
    • 4) Once submitted, your entries can not be changed. Make sure you're happy with your voxel before submitting it.
    • 5) Your voxel can be made for any game you chose. Please state when submitting your voxel what game the voxel is for (TS, RA2).
    • 6) Entries must be submitted to Aro (Me) by the 8th of July 2013 (00:00GMT)
    • 7) I will only be accepting submissions via PRIVATE MESSAGE! No emails! No IM Client!
    • 8) If your submission is released anywhere before the competition results have been posted, it will be disqualified!

• Judging:

Judging will be done by Aro, Morpher and OmegaBolt. None of the three judges are experienced voxel artists, meaning you will be judged primarily on the in-game result of your voxel, 'cause after all, that is the only thing that really matters, right?

30/30 Will be the highest possible score per judge, Your voxels will be judged on the following criteria:

• Detail: Coloring, Shading and Details. (Max: 10 Points)
    • Creativity: Shape, Concept, Style and HVA Animations (if any). (Max: 10 Points)
    • In-Game Result: Usability, Normals and of course, whether or not it actually looks good in the end. (Max: 10 Points)

Unfortunately this time I am unable to offer any kind of prize, unless somebody else would like to donate one for usage in the competition (though that also means the person involved will not be allowed to enter). This post will be updated if prizes for the first place winner(s) become available.

I will only be accepting submissions via PRIVATE MESSAGE! No emails! No IM Client!

Good luck to everybody whom wishes to enter, I expect great things from this community!

Last edited by Aro on Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:44 pm; edited 6 times in total

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

clever subtle advertisement for TI using goliath voxel in headline Very Happy

Was about time PPM has some competitions again.
I'm looking forward for the results.

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

Team Black
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hand-made only, right up my alley! I think you guys'll like what I have in mind Smile

Tiberian Odyssey mapping department. Discord
The Team Black Index

Zero18
Commander

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Excellent! I'm so glad to see competition going now! I will whip up something sexy!

Deformat
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm really getting into this one.

m7
Commander

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sweet, I'll give it a shot.

ConMan
Tiberian Beast

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have a feeling theres gonna be a lot of participants in this one  Smile

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I just might be able to squeeze some time for a voxel in June...

Askhati
Jumpjet Infantry

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Can we get some preview pics of the entrants as they are submitted, or will it be secret until after the closing date?

Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Most of the times the rules are that if you show your work before the finish date you'll be disqualified.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
Zero18
Commander

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

@Aro, I just thought of few ideas that you can consider doing this for the winner's prize.

- Spotlight Voxel
- Voxel Winner Rank (Like What you did in Mapping Competition, from Banshee.)

MasterHaosis
General

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

.... and lollipop! With hot Brazilian girl in pack! (Banshee will take care of it)

Seriously, I agree with Zero18. Additionally to that, something also should be as prize.

Well about me...... I think I will skip this contest, I do not want my model to be the last. it is better if leave it for professionals.

PPM Halloween Season 2021

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Can we use custom VPLs and palettes optimized for the voxel, or they must look good with standard RA2 setup?

This is a pretty good question IMO since this is the first voxcomp where this plays a role #Tongue

=======================
WeiDU mods: Random Graion Tweaks | Graion's Soundsets
Maintainance: Extra Expanded Enhanced Encounters! | BGEESpawn
Contributions: EE Fixpack | Enhanced Edition Trilogy | DSotSC (Trilogy) | UB_IWD | SotSC & a lot more...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID
mevitar
Missile Trooper

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'd expect no custom vpls, because those voxels are supposed to be usable by most of the community. #Tongue

Starkku
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Plus it would make judging much harder, as comparing the voxels using different VPL & palette setups could get bit lopsided.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID Twitter Channel URL
Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That's sad because every voxelling tool of mine already uses my pal as default(if they have pal-switching capability at all).

=======================
Contributions: EE Fixpack | Enhanced Edition Trilogy | DSotSC (Trilogy) | UB_IWD | SotSC & a lot more...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID
MasterHaosis
General

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Graion Dilach, that palette with purple shades?

Cranium
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If we get into using VPL and/or any other enhancing tools then I'm just not going to participate.

The enemy shall be injected with toxic poison - Venom

OrangeNero
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hope none forget to make sure their voxels clip correctly when positioned next to each other.
nice comp and a nice header too.

206UE
Missile Trooper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've got a voxel for this, I still need to test it in game. I have to admit that texturing isn't my specialty.

DaRTzO
Laser Commando

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Lin Kuei Ominae wrote:
clever subtle advertisement for TI using goliath voxel in headline Very Happy

Was about time PPM has some competitions again.
I'm looking forward for the results.

Psst I had no idea where it's from. Looked like a cnc1 mod. :O

Starkku
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A question about something I only just now noticed.

Aro wrote:
5) Voxels are to be hand-made only. 3DS2VXL will not be allowed this time around.

How is this going to be enforced in case it's not obvious from the apperance of the voxel, such as in case someone only creates the basic shape of the voxel in 3D modeling software, converts it to a voxel and then paints & edits it.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID Twitter Channel URL
Aro
Alcohol Fueled

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I find that it's typically easy to spot a 3DS conversion, another way would be due-to the reputation of the participants. For the most part, I just trust that people will actually abide by the rules given that there is no real prize to win.

Cranium
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

you can definitely tell a 3ds2vxl conversion...there is tell tale signs that will give it away everytime...so don't even try it fellas, Wink

The enemy shall be injected with toxic poison - Venom

Some Cool Guy Named Guest

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You should add this to 3Ds2vxl rule. 5) Anyone who is found guilty of using this program should be hunted and shot to death. #Tongue

not really...

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is also a 3dsvxl, Cranium... you sure?

Infact, this is the perfect example I can think of as what Starkku meant.

=======================

ConMan
Tiberian Beast

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Personally I'll be documenting my progess with screenshots as proof I didn't use 3ds2vxl Smile

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah personally the 3DS rule sounds a bit silly. Straight 3DS to voxel never looks good so it needs editing anyway, which is where the raw voxel skill comes into it.

mevitar
Missile Trooper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't know anything about Azri doing a 3ds to vxl conversion for that aircraft carrier. Unless he said specifically that he used a 3d model for that, i don't think that's the case.

Aro
Alcohol Fueled

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nevermind. I'll just remove the rule.

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OmegaBolt wrote:
Straight 3DS to voxel never looks good

Are
you
sure?

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes. They are nice from far... but a mess when you see them closely.

=======================

Renegade
Cyborg Artillery

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Lin Kuei Ominae wrote:
OmegaBolt wrote:
Straight 3DS to voxel never looks good

Are
you
sure?

It's pointless to argue with them. It's like arguing with hipsters. You're not going to convince them 3ds2vxl does a fine job (and has produced higher quality voxels than the average voxeler for almost a decade), because, if that were true, how would they justify doing it by hand?

3ds2vxl must be shitty, otherwise their work would be devalued. Rolling Eyes

Which is, somewhat ironically, why I can see a reason for the rule: Being forced to do it by hand actually turns it into a challenge.

ApolloTD
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Reality is that normal texturing method (such as 3ds2vxl) is not ideal due to way voxels behave and lose some detail always so whole pixely detailing will always look messy.

Else the actual voxel creation method is quite irrelevant, whether shape is from model or done by hand.

Key thing is way of detailing really and to compensate for detail loss blending by exaggerated detail.

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well personally LKO they don't look quite smooth enough, which you could probably get by further editing those in VXLSE. I'm all for whatever looks best ingame which is why 3DS conversions should be allowed. If a straight conversion manages to look good enough to win then so be it, but I doubt it.

Aro
Alcohol Fueled

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Which is, somewhat ironically, why I can see a reason for the rule: Being forced to do it by hand actually turns it into a challenge.

The main reason was because I have seen events in the past where somebody has just downloaded a free model online and converted it to a voxel which required no work what-so-ever on his part, though I did anticipate some backlash.

ViPr
Gauss Rifle Trooper

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If VXLs are recoloured in the voxel editor then I'd say its basically almost impossible to tell if they originally came from 3ds2vxl. The main way I can tell if the colouring has been done in the voxel editor is because the details will usually look exactly snapped-to-grid. 3ds2vxl tends to anti-alias things and cause a lot more colour shades to be used.

4StarGeneral
General

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

As far as when I've used 3ds2vxl, they still needed to be edited to fix the black dots, for smoothness, to fix lines like on that aircraft carrier, etc.

I agree that it takes much less pixel art skill to convert, but that's just me. And to be honest, I think most voxel artists would rather make it from scratch than with 3ds2vxl.

BTW, is LKO allowed to participate? If so I'm out #Tongue.

Aro
Alcohol Fueled

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The only reason I hosted a voxel competition was because the majority of the community seemed to want one, and so far I've only received one entry. Dafuq, PPM?

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

We still have two weeks. And you said no updates on those voxels (unlike the map ones which could be sent everytime)

I am still doing mine.

=======================

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Because there's still 15 days or so? Surely you only ever get entries within the last few days anyway.

Aro
Alcohol Fueled

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A month just seems like an awfully long time for a voxel. #Tongue

Morpher
General

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

When do the other judges receive the voxels for exceedingly harsh and over analytical judging and scrutiny?

Aro
Alcohol Fueled

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'll send them all in a bulk along with in-game screenshots once the competition is over.

mevitar
Missile Trooper

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I, for example, haven't even started my entry, but i will in the next week, once i'm less busy with other stuff. #Tongue

ConMan
Tiberian Beast

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've just finished my voxel, but I will submit it in the last few days of the contest in case I want to make any changes later on Smile

Renegade
Cyborg Artillery

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Aro wrote:
A month just seems like an awfully long time for a voxel. #Tongue

Have you considered that that might just be the reason you haven't gotten many?

Because, you know, there's no reason to start so early?

Aro
Alcohol Fueled

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

True. I never really thought of it that way. I guess it just seems odd given that I'd received 6 maps in the CCCIII within the space of time that has passed for this competition. #Tongue

MasterHaosis
General

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Aro, how many voxels did you get for now?

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

Also Known As: banshee_revora (Steam)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Aro, you should post a news post about it.

Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace!