Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:57 am
All times are UTC + 0
General Gameplay Feedback
Moderators: Mig Eater
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:36 pm    Post subject:  General Gameplay Feedback Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Need to play this some more and online to truly feel it but it seems to me the gameplay is a little messed up, I'm not even sure how it's supposed to play.

First the economy is a little weird. You get loads of cash but equally everything is really expensive AND builds fast. What's really the point in this? I suppose it increases the scale however the numbers become totally unmemorable meaning I can't really plan my spending.

IMO infantry should be cheaper(est) and the main force (on another note, anti-tank inf seem pretty ineffective). Tanks should be expensive, build slowly and take a pounding and possibly slower movement. At the moment I just end up with old RA2 gameplay of spamming masses of vehicles quickly which doesn't feel like an epic WW2 battle involving any sort of tactical movement.

Secondly structures just seem almost indestructible without the right counters (which is entirely up to your gameplay philosophies, it is most realistic atm) AND can be reconstructed in no time thanks to the fast build speed. IMO you could keep the current resilience of structures but massively increase construction time so bases take a long time to put together, tech up etc and then equally a long time to fall (except when bombers come in). This might put more of an emphasis on siege warfare without making it almost impossible for the attacker and hopefully make players engage earlier rather than spending 10 minutes getting up to 'battle lab' level.

It seems to me information should be a key part of the game. Spotting incoming bombers is crucial for getting your AA out there and stopping the devastating attacks. Why not have some kind of spotter infantry with the best sight range that you can position around the battlefield? ATM, even with an opaque shroud it feels like you're constantly playing blind for no reason. Also you could bring back Spies to some extent with abilities such as revealing production in factories.

Lastly, and this is a matter of taste, but I find it difficult to differentiate some of the units in terms of their roles. Perhaps making use of Ares' pips logic would be a good way to label each of the vehicles for all players. Might be too much of an 'easy mode' for everyone but afterall it's important to know what's going on and in a realistic mod where units aren't created with visual gameplay clarity in mind pips might be another way of doing it.

These are just my first thoughts with 3.7. Hopefully I'll be able to get some online games set up to test it better and try out all the different time periods.

DaRkGlAcEoN
Rocket Cyborg

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I agree with most parts, the ecoonomy does seem weird. But I didnt find it hard differentiate the units roles. but Thats me.

4StarGeneral wrote:
I CAN USE CAPS TOO, HOW DOES IT FEEL?

Aro
Alcohol Fueled

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I too have trouble differentiating the unit roles, I think the pip idea is a good solution.

Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I had thought I'd already raised the build speed, but it turns out I'd lowed it! I'll definitely increase it, probably even double what it is atm.  

I've been wanting to work on the economy & redo most of the pricing in the game, there are nearly a thousand units & buildings to edit tho so I didn't think I'd get it all done in time for v3.7, but It's something I'll be concentrating on in the next version.

Armoured cars & fighter planes are the best scouts in the game & should be able to fill the role you described. Fighters especially, which can be made to patrol around the map & intercept bombers before they get to your base.

Not being able to differentiate the unit roles should get easier the more you play & learn what does what.

Not being able to differentiate between the actual units tho is harder to resolve. A pip system would help but I'm worried that they would have to be quite large to be easy to read. That coupled with the normal rank insignias would mean that smaller units would end up being lost behind them :/

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
Karpet
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

As the Soviets, at least, AT infantry are not ineffective. I've fended off many an AI attack (heavily armored German tanks no less) and saved my base with those RPG troopers. With the NKVD Office, they can really be useful.

Although it did feel really weird to me how long troops take to build and their pricing. It would be nice to have a little lower pricing, like a 10-15% decrease.

Ideally in the late game, I build up around 4 WFs to allow my forces to build fast.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon