Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:11 am
All times are UTC + 0
Reichstag (wip)
Moderators: Global Moderators, Media Hut Moderators, Red Alert 2 Moderators, Tiberian Sun Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 2 of 4 [166 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Incrediblicious.

Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The internal walls & floors are done, I didn't bother to detail the interior as much as the ground floor tho, because as you can see you cant see any of it...

Next is the doors & windows, then on to texturing! I'm away on holiday for a few weeks tho so it might be awhile before the next update.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
4StarGeneral
General

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Looking good, just don't forget the roof!

Krow
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I would be quite unsatisfied if those ramps aren't functional. I assume that it is possible to convert them to functioning terrain ramps, is it not?

Deformat
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Deformat
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

@4Star: First I'll textured this middle layer, then make the roof & lastly the big ass dome...

@Krow: Sorry but the ramps aren't functional, the slope & size is too large to be made into a terrain tile.

@Deformat: Next is the Brandenburg Gate & Kroll Opera House.

Also I didn't have anything to do with the Eagle Red mod :/

Last edited by Mig Eater on Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
Deformat
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I meant Code Red. #Tongue

Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The center section is finally finished! It feels like I did more unwrapping then all my birthdays combined but It was worth it #Tongue  

Now it's onto the roof... There are a few issues tho, namely that there aren't any colour photos so I'm not sure what colour to use on the roof tiles & dome. I'm not sure if the dome was solid or glass either, in some photos it looks like it might be glass & in others it doesn't :/

RP
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

From what I can see it could be a dome, with some tower structure on top of that. Perhaps that collapsed during the fire. There are some pictures showing only the glass dome, others show it with that structure on top of it, and then there are others where you can only see the skeleton of the glass dome (because the glass was destroyed during the fire)

Pretty sure you're looking for a (pre-)WW2 photograph of the roof, so it wouldn't be of any help if I posted some pictures of the roof as it is today.

Mental Omega 3.0 Mission creator - Creator of FinalOmega: APYR 3.0 Map Editor

/ppm/'s stupidity

Krow
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That is amazing. But still not satisfied with those non-functional ramps. #Tongue btw, the ramp look longer on the left side.

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Holy cashwaggy Christ this looks fantastic, Mig!

Krow wrote:
btw, the ramp look longer on the left side.

That's because of the pseudo-isometric view.

4StarGeneral
General

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Definitely Glass.

RP
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The one on the right is past-WW2.
The curved part on the left-hand version is glass, with that tower construction on top of it.

Shame there's no colored version...

/ppm/'s stupidity

4StarGeneral
General

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Left is from 1920, right is from 2000 correct.

From the picture on the left, you can see the internal structure of the building through the dome, thus it is a glass roof with many small windows.
It may be hard to tell if it's glass, but judging by the camera angle, there shouldn't be that straight of a line if it were caused by the sun reflected upon a metal roof, therefore it can ONLY be glass.

RP
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You can see in the pictures where it is burned that there's no glass and only the structure that held the glass panels in place.

Hope this helps you a bit, Mig!

/ppm/'s stupidity

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I suppose parts of the roof (and statues, maybe?) might've been made of copper, as it was pretty popular in the 19th and 20th century. I don't know how old the structure is, but considering Berlin has been industrialized for a long time, the copper structures should've already become coated with green patina by WWII.

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

^^Was about to say the same.
I would suggest creating a copper roof with green patina too. Especially the bigger flat areas.
e.g. you see on the left picture on the bottom right, next to the corner tower, some very big panels on the roof (size about 0.5 x 1 meters). Roof tiles in such a size are not made of bricks, so these are very likely copper panels.

The copper would also explain the strong reflections which look like glass on the flat roof areas.

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks 4Star, that's the best photo of the roof I've ever seen, it resolves most of the uncertainties I was having regarding it's layout.

Thanks everyone for the colour suggestions too. The statues where/are hollow steel framed with copper plates on top. There are 19 of them & some are quite complex, I've never made any humanoid or equestrian models before so it should be fun #Tongue

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

According to german Wikipedia:
-dome planned as concrete construction and making the building in total 85 meter high, but it was too heavy for the already done construction, thus they made the dome 75m high using steel and glass

Public SHPs

Tools

Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've added the "teeth" that are on top of the walls. It only adds 5 pixels around the top of the building but required 8,000 vertices, which is more then most of the wall sections XP

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I am highly impressed by the amount of detail you put into this.
I wouldn't wonder if some museum or historian is getting in contact with you, as they want to use this model as an accurate representation. I guess you could even make some money with this by selling it to them.

Public SHPs

Tools

Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm currently unemployed but I'm thinking about trying to become a self employed graphic designer. So I'm making this building not just for D-day but also to get more experience with 3DS Max & have something to add to my portfolio etc.

After this I'm going to design my own model kit... Anyone want a 1/72 Mammoth Tank?

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Lin Kuei Ominae wrote:
I wouldn't wonder if some museum or historian is getting in contact with you, as they want to use this model as an accurate representation. I guess you could even make some money with this by selling it to them.

I'm no expert, but wouldn't it require some legal permissions from, I don't know, the city government of Berlin to gain profit from a model of the city property? Remember how Westwood was forbidden to put an Eiffel Tower in their game.

A portfolio should be okay, and this definitely needs to go into one!

4StarGeneral
General

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Make that a 1:1 mammoth tank, and you have yourself a deal.

Make sure to include the whole build process with it, it shows people how you do things, also you'll want to eventually record the time it takes to make a detailed model.

Considering he's not making money off of this model, and he's using it for his portfolio, it's entirely irrelevant to obtain legal permissions, as no one is going to say anything about a portfolio piece unless it has to do with stealing someone else's work.

RP
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sure, Mig. I assume you're still in Eindhoven so you can drop it off in Arnhem Razz

/ppm/'s stupidity

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Crimsonum wrote:
I'm no expert, but wouldn't it require some legal permissions from, I don't know, the city government of Berlin to gain profit from a model of the city property? Remember how Westwood was forbidden to put an Eiffel Tower in their game.

It's a difference if you take the landmark of a city and present it as a weapon,
or create a realistic replica without twisting its purpose giving it a negative touch.

So no, i don't think there are any legal issues.

\EDIT
found another picture of it which might be helpful with parts of the roof and other details.

Public SHPs

Tools

Deformat
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Guys, please let's not forget:

1. The burning of the Reichstag
2. The soviet flag waving in 1945 #Tongue

Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The roof is starting to take shape, still lots to do tho...

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Gonna be so awesome ingame...

Steve_1993
Rocket Cyborg

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I agree!!!

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just wanted to mention that the red inner roof parts aren't vertical, but then i noticed you only made them as placeholder and haven't done yet the roofs that go down inside.

Really impressive how accurate you made the dimensions and planned the future additions. Do you have a blueprint of the building which you can follow?

How do you measure things in 3ds max? Are drawing free hand or do you really construct it and set for yourself something like 1 length unit in max = 1 meter in reality?

Public SHPs

Tools

Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The red part isn't a placeholder, it's an inner wall that supports the roof. You can see the top of it in the pic 4Star posted.

I have top down diagrams of the first few floors, I'm also using several photos/drawings of the front & back to measure the height. The higher up I go tho the less info I can find, for the roof I'm working from just a few photos.

The building is 150m wide, in 3DS it's 1500 & ingame 15 cells. The images I mentioned above have been cropped & resized to 1500 pixels too, so I measure each of the details in photoshop then transfer that over to 3DS etc. It's basically the same method I use to make vxls, just on a lot bigger scale #Tongue

tomsons26lv
Cyborg Artillery

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You can enable meters/feet/etc in Customize > Units Setup  #Tongue

met.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  6.34 KB
 Viewed:  11720 Time(s)

met.png

Skype live:tomsons26
Don't forget to state who are you otherwise i'll ignore the invite

Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't really see any advantage in changing those settings from the default. After all I'm measuring things in pixels & not meters in the end #Tongue

Orac
President

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I cannot wait until you give the Brandenburg Gate this treatment.  It will be delightful! Very Happy

Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The roof is proving to be a challenge, with only a few photos to work from it's hard to calculate the size/shape/angle etc. I will persist tho!

Bu7loos
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

keep it up ! Very Happy

Aro
Alcohol Fueled

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Glorious.

Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You really have too much free time Mig #Tongue

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If he did he would've finished it by now.

Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Still, I salute Mig for his dedication and his skills.
*salutes*

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mig Eater wrote:
The roof is proving to be a challenge, with only a few photos to work from it's hard to calculate the size/shape/angle etc. I will persist tho!

Maybe you do that already, but in the past it helped me a lot to create a camera with the (as good as possible) exact same angle, lens settings etc as in the reference picture.

In this case one of the two that 4stargeneral posted (or both).
Then render your work using that camera and compare the results. e.g. switch fast back and forth between the 2 pictures.
If windows, foundation corners and other distinctive points match, it is then a lot easier to find differences in the roof and do small adjustments.

Public SHPs

Tools

Orac
President

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The roof looks accurate to the reference images so far.  If my eyes are correct, the apex of the front and back roofs aren't aligned with the tower corners in the photographs, though.

Deformat
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Only thing I'm recommending after this amazing work you've done: Have you applied bump maps on the details at the entry of the palace (Those above "Dem Deutchen Volk")? If not, do it, they'd excuse you some time of doing a lot of useless detail work.

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Deformat wrote:
useless detail work.

Way to respect someone's effort Neutral

Orac
President

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Deformat is right though, the frieze would probably be better as at most low poly models with bump mapping.

Nikademis Von Hisson
General

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Can you post up a closer pic of the front

http://www.ppmsite.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27714

Deformat
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Crimsonum wrote:
Deformat wrote:
useless detail work.

Way to respect someone's effort Neutral

I forgot to complete "if you want to work on that detail".

Sorry Mig. Crying or Very sad

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 2 of 4 [166 Posts] Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon