Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:27 am
All times are UTC + 0
How do you plan your Mod?
Moderators: Generals Moderators, Global Moderators, OpenRA Moderators, Red Alert 2 Moderators, Tiberian Sun Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [16 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
kairunotabi
Vehicle Drone

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:25 pm    Post subject:  How do you plan your Mod? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm not really sure if this is the right forum to post this thread but here it is.

How do you plan your Mod? I mean, really! How do you plan your Mod and know your limits? and How do you plan your Semi or Total Conversion Mod?

I don't want to jump to the modding arena without planning anything so, your help will really aid me on my journey  Smile

Atomic_Noodles
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I Draft up a roster,checklist for your planned units,changes.

Read up on the tags and logics in modenc,ares,etc so i can see if I can make certain units work.

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I get a sheet, coming up with units, put them into the doc, and see if the roles doesn't get too cluttered up and what roles are missing.

Then if some (sub)sides lack some roles, I invent units for that while keeping in mind what's possible and what kind of weaponry isn't used so far but would be cool to have.

=======================
WeiDU mods: Random Graion Tweaks | Graion's Soundsets
Maintainance: Extra Expanded Enhanced Encounters! | BGEESpawn
Contributions: EE Fixpack | Enhanced Edition Trilogy | DSotSC (Trilogy) | UB_IWD | SotSC & a lot more...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID
206UE
Missile Trooper

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah, get a notebook and write a table with factions and units. When I do this every unit must have a rival unit on the other factions, one that can match it's role. It's best if you know what resources are available to you and what can and can't be done. Of course, if you can make resources then you can consider concepts that aren't already in existence as well...it takes more time that way but it works sometimes. My sub conscience wants to make a modification with three factions in 7iberian8un now, but that's not going to happen.

kairunotabi
Vehicle Drone

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've made some drafts and concepts but I have no Idea how to balance a 4 sided mod, that is too much i think?

kenosis
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

write parameters close to original data will make  the balancing work lighter.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Skype Account Yahoo Messenger Account
kairunotabi
Vehicle Drone

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You mean write the codes on my notebook?

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

No, I think he means putting weapon code after the unit code in rules for example, though I don't do that. I keep weapon and warhead code together though.

Personally specific plans aren't really a necessity or perhaps even helpful because they usually end up not being completed if you're working alone, however it's always good to have a goal in mind for how you want the mod to play and feel. This goal is the direction in which you will push the mod and should guide everything else.

Holy_Master
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i never plan about balance since first place...

i only plan about
Background concept = story background why each faction try to fight each other

faction concept =who is this faction,how their architecture look like , which kind of strategy they expert.  

common unit = unit each faction share together [since c&c is need]

unit of each faction = how unit look , what kind of ability they have , what is main role of this unit.

however just try to bring all idea you think it's cool inside your mod don't worry about balance until you see all of your idea in action then balance them later and sure some time you need to rework or replace of your idea  but it's normal thing to do even big company like EA , Blizzard can't avoid this.

Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Holy_Master wrote:
i never plan about balance since first place...

i only plan about
Background concept = story background why each faction try to fight each other

faction concept =who is this faction,how their architecture look like , which kind of strategy they expert.  

common unit = unit each faction share together [since c&c is need]

unit of each faction = how unit look , what kind of ability they have , what is main role of this unit.

however just try to bring all idea you think it's cool inside your mod don't worry about balance until you see all of your idea in action then balance them later and sure some time you need to rework or replace of your idea  but it's normal thing to do even big company like EA , Blizzard can't avoid this.

Pretty much this, only after more then a year I said 'frak it' to the documents and began making edits where I felt necessary #Tongue

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I try to find unique and interesting new ways to use possible logics. That's why i also made the weapon tests for TI.

SuperJoe is also one who goes this way i think, as he found several really cool new ways to use the existing logics.

Then when the mod takes shape i try to implement as many of the useful new logics, so the mod stands out from the many other mods and doesn't share too many similarities (even if they often can't be avoided due to the engine limitations and the general gameplay of an RTS).

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

Allied General
General

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Make sure you have beta tests - friends or ideally other modders.

Plan changes in small increments, test and refine based upon feedback.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
EricAnimeFreak
Tiberian Fiend

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A mod can have no plan so long as you steadily keep moving forward with it. That doesn't mean it lacks structure though.

A plan is a choice to follow a set of actions to get to an end result. Modders can't always live up to such standards, and why should they, the mod will get done eventually without a timeline or set of tasks.

I find it's best to build a good structure and then slowly fill it in, then add remove things as necessary until it feels right. In this case a building plan, rather then a development plan with time lines. I've been making my mod over 3 years now, so I can say it takes a lot of work. I rarely get to play it with others these days though, for lack of time and friends being in the same boat. Sometimes I don't touch my mod for months.

But I digress. My original structure for my mod was a map mod, so the fact it's grown so much has astonished me. So anything can work out if you put the work into it. Just have a general idea of what you want and start modding.

Also when I was at college I used to carry around a notebook and would scribble in ini code as I got idea's. Back then I mostly did map mods, so it had higher limitations, so beating them was fun.

As for the issue of balance it depends on the type of play you want. A perfect balance would be a butchery to an RTS, while under balance can easily end in abuse of logic's and near cheating.

I tried to keep with WW's balance and design but I get hate for that sometimes. Don't be afraid to be innovative as well! I can't wait to see what you can do with those powered units your planning!

Preplaced Neutral buildings.
Additional new features.

Enjoy Everyone!

kairunotabi
Vehicle Drone

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You guys are my hero! I've almost finished the bare bones drafts for my mod and already started working on it yesterday, thank you so much for all these kind of help!

Feel free to post here if you got more planning tips not just for me but for aspiring modders out there.

FurryQueen
General

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I used to just start with an idea that I wanted to accomplish, which was okay for simpler concepts like balance or general improvements. However, design documents are your best friend. Also, while actually modding, keep a detailed changelog.

Steam

Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

FurryQueen wrote:
I used to just start with an idea that I wanted to accomplish, which was okay for simpler concepts like balance or general improvements. However, design documents are your best friend. Also, while actually modding, keep a detailed changelog.

This. A changelog is really useful if used properly.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [16 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace!