Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:15 pm
All times are UTC + 0
An idea for a new Globotech infantry
Moderators: Aro, Crimsonum, ErastusMercy, Lin Kuei Ominae, ^Rampastein
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
DeathlyRose
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:30 am    Post subject:  An idea for a new Globotech infantry Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I feel Globotech is a bit lacking on the infantry front. So about making a unit where they have a EMP sniper? The range and reload rate is the same as a sniper just he fires EMP rounds instead. For elite rank you can just increase the size of the EMP and possible range? Just something i felt Globotech was a bit lacking on.

Also the Survelliance Drone is going too suffer the same issue as the ghost so i propose that the Survelliance Drone if it doesn't already allow It too detect stealth unit without deploying if that is at all possible. If that is possible then about adding the limp drone technology too it as well?

Quadhelix
Vehicle Drone

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: An idea for a new Globotech infantry Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I just want to preface all of my comments by saying that I really, really, really like this idea.

DeathlyRose wrote:
I feel Globotech is a bit lacking on the infantry front.
I'm not really sure how much of a problem this is, given that GloboTech isn't really a full faction - it's more like one of the Minor Houses from Emperor: Battle for Dune.

That said, there's no reason that this idea couldn't be included in their lineup or adapted to one of the other factions.

DeathlyRose wrote:
So about making a unit where they have a EMP sniper? The range and reload rate is the same as a sniper just he fires EMP rounds instead. For elite rank you can just increase the size of the EMP and possible range?
...how would an EMP Sniper gain rank? Confused

DeathlyRose wrote:
Also the Survelliance Drone is going too suffer the same issue as the ghost so i propose that the Survelliance Drone if it doesn't already allow It too detect stealth unit without deploying if that is at all possible. If that is possible then about adding the limp drone technology too it as well?
I'm not sure that the Surveillance Drone is intended to be a buildable unit, rather than map flavor. E.g., it's topic on the forum lists its cost as "N/A."

DeathlyRose
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

While EMP snipers can paralyze mechs and vehicles it can still kill infantry with 1 shot. Theres just more added bonuses on top because ya there Globotech.
 I'm just throwing in ideas too help create more depth to the storyline. It isn't at first but with the amount of resources at there disposal.
They could easily become a full faction.That and Nod is giving Globotech all the reasons they would need too "explain" there sudden increase in military.
  About the Surveillance drone Globotech is going too need something like a mobile sensor array too help combat Nod. So i thought why not theres already a prefect unit for the job.

Edit: As for the summary for this unit the EMP sniper you can just too combat Nod's ever increasing army of cyborgs and vehicles and tanks. This unit was develop by taking the knowledge gained from developing what is now the sniper for GDI into this unit the EMP sniper for there usage. In a sense you can say Globotech is using GDI too "field test" there products before making final changes and implement them.

Quadhelix
Vehicle Drone

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DeathlyRose wrote:
While EMP snipers can paralyze mechs and vehicles it can still kill infantry with 1 shot. Theres just more added bonuses on top because ya there Globotech.
The problem with that is that it makes GDI's Snipers useless if you get GloboTech tech.

My counter suggestion would be that EMP Snipers could be armed with anti-materiel rifles, so they are capable of doing moderate damage to the light vehicles that they have disabled.

DeathlyRose wrote:

I'm just throwing in ideas too help create more depth to the storyline. It isn't at first but with the amount of resources at there disposal.
You're free to disagree with me, but I feel that depth is better created by including a "large" number of lightly developed minor factions, rather than a single well-developed one.

Thus, you might have GloboTech's competitors, "International Heavy Industries" (or whatever you want to call them) that have 1-2 unique vehicles (e.g., a dual-barreled light tank equivalent and a Hover SAM Launcher).

Then you have the nationalist militias, which have, e.g., a unique infantry (cheap, weak "Gunslingers"?) and a unique vehicle (rocket Technicals?).

Beyond that, you have an anti-Nod Tiberium Cult that gives you, e.g., suicide bombers and Tiberium-healing riflemen.

More, smaller sides, in my opinion, make the world feel more lived in and diverse - even during the Cold War, the U.S. and U.S.S.R. were merely the main orchestrators, not the sole actors.

Henskelion
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quadhelix wrote:

I'm just throwing in ideas too help create more depth to the storyline. It isn't at first but with the amount of resources at there disposal. You're free to disagree with me, but I feel that depth is better created by including a "large" number of lightly developed minor factions, rather than a single well-developed one.

Thus, you might have GloboTech's competitors, "International Heavy Industries" (or whatever you want to call them) that have 1-2 unique vehicles (e.g., a dual-barreled light tank equivalent and a Hover SAM Launcher).

Then you have the nationalist militias, which have, e.g., a unique infantry (cheap, weak "Gunslingers"?) and a unique vehicle (rocket Technicals?).

Beyond that, you have an anti-Nod Tiberium Cult that gives you, e.g., suicide bombers and Tiberium-healing riflemen.

More, smaller sides, in my opinion, make the world feel more lived in and diverse - even during the Cold War, the U.S. and U.S.S.R. were merely the main orchestrators, not the sole actors.

I do like the idea of adding a number of minor factions, however if we do do anything like it it'd be at a later time. We have much greater priorities now.

DeathlyRose
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quadhelix wrote:
DeathlyRose wrote:
The problem with that is that it makes GDI's Snipers useless if you get GloboTech tech.

My counter suggestion would be that EMP Snipers could be armed with anti-materiel rifles, so they are capable of doing moderate damage to the light vehicles that they have disabled.

DeathlyRose wrote:

You're free to disagree with me, but I feel that depth is better created by including a "large" number of lightly developed minor factions, rather than a single well-developed one.

I don't disagree but Globotech should not be a lightly developed faction. they just don't fit within the story as a mere small player "orchestrator" if you will. But yes many more small factions will be needed. That's why I suggested http://www.ppmsite.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=35952 the subfaction thread.

Darkstorm
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well if we're throwing out third party subfaction ideas, my third mission does touch on GDI disarray by creating a group of GDI deserters turned criminals led by a former general.

DeathlyRose
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quadhelix i forgot too mention your idea regarding changing EMP sniper too so it damages vehicles is a great idea, I support it.That and darkstorm i'm looking forward too your 3rd mission.

Darkstorm
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Unfortunately, I believe units can only EMP or damage, not both. Ares for YR added separate tags for EMP, that's why it can.

And I'm glad to hear it. With no responses, I wasn't sure anyone had seen my second mission update.

Quadhelix
Vehicle Drone

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Darkstorm wrote:
Unfortunately, I believe units can only EMP or damage, not both. Ares for YR added separate tags for EMP, that's why it can.

I know that the Cyborg Reaper uses a net instead of EMP, but I was thinking that the EMP Sniper could work somewhat like that - disable the enemy unit with an EMP bullet and then fire off a few armor-piercing rounds before the EMP wears off. I don't know if that is more feasible, but that is the idea.

Darkstorm wrote:
Well if we're throwing out third party subfaction ideas, my third mission does touch on GDI disarray by creating a group of GDI deserters turned criminals led by a former general.
That does sound interesting. Smile

On a side note, I'd like to draw something of a distinction between subfactions and minor factions.

Subfactions help flesh out their main faction by showing another aspect or facet of it. For example, KW's Black Hand helped emphasize Nod's transition towards a global religious order rather than a international terror organization. Similarly, ZOCOM showed GDI's attempts to make a fast, mobile force to counter Nod's forces. I am, of course, grossly oversimplifying, but you get the idea.

Minor factions, on the other hand, flesh out the broader world beyond the 2-3 factions that make up the main players. The Forgotten showed the sick and hungry people who had between the cracks of GDI's humanitarianism and Nod's zeal. The Tiberium Cult from "Dogma Day Afternoon" in Firestorm hinted at the immense power of the Tacitus and the secrets of Tiberium. Again, I'm grossly oversimplifying.

It's not that one is better than the other, of course. However, they do play different roles for storytelling purposes and that's something to keep in mind.

Darkstorm
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quadhelix wrote:
I know that the Cyborg Reaper uses a net instead of EMP, but I was thinking that the EMP Sniper could work somewhat like that - disable the enemy unit with an EMP bullet and then fire off a few armor-piercing rounds before the EMP wears off. I don't know if that is more feasible, but that is the idea.

I'm not sure how hardcoded the logic is but I believe it only affects infantry. Also, I think the Infector already uses a web launcher, so getting it to look like something else would be impossible without removing it from the Infector.

Quadhelix wrote:
That does sound interesting. Smile

Yes, they fill some of the void that was the Forgotten. I'm calling them the "Steel Talons" partly because I was inspired by the Kane's Wrath Steel Talons. I originally imagined them in a similar way, being a more territorial GDI faction, but I decided to not give them the updates that GDI gets from Globotech. Now they're kind of a representative of the criminal element in the world, the older days of the war, and old civilization.

In a sense, they're what the Forgotten were in some ways. A renegade faction looking to further themselves in a dark world.

(I would be open to naming suggestions, but the name "Steel Talons" represents the faction well actually. It keeps the GDI eagle symbol, but has a darker tone.)

Quadhelix wrote:

On a side note, I'd like to draw something of a distinction between subfactions and minor factions.

Subfactions help flesh out their main faction by showing another aspect or facet of it. For example, KW's Black Hand helped emphasize Nod's transition towards a global religious order rather than a international terror organization. Similarly, ZOCOM showed GDI's attempts to make a fast, mobile force to counter Nod's forces. I am, of course, grossly oversimplifying, but you get the idea.

Minor factions, on the other hand, flesh out the broader world beyond the 2-3 factions that make up the main players. The Forgotten showed the sick and hungry people who had between the cracks of GDI's humanitarianism and Nod's zeal. The Tiberium Cult from "Dogma Day Afternoon" in Firestorm hinted at the immense power of the Tacitus and the secrets of Tiberium. Again, I'm grossly oversimplifying.

It's not that one is better than the other, of course. However, they do play different roles for storytelling purposes and that's something to keep in mind.

Agreed. The Kane's Wrath subfactions depicted more diversity in the combined arms of GDI and Nod, but they aren't like the Emperor: Battle for Dune minor factions (Fremen, Sardukaur, Ix, and the like) or the Forgotten. Being independent, they represent a more dynamic colored world.

daviperdragon
Soldier

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

An anti-material sniper could be useful as a globotech high tier unit, build limited so that GDI's snipers dont become redundant. Though why is every thing "special" going under Globotech? I just wonder where the Forgotten are in TI? and what could the Forgotten gain to round out the tech Possibilities? and/or storyline.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace! 

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum