Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:39 pm
All times are UTC + 0
Grand Campaign Competition II is live!
Moderators: Global Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 3 [132 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
Team Black
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:43 pm    Post subject:  Grand Campaign Competition II is live! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm pleased to announce that the Grand Campaign Competition is now live!
You have approximately 2 months to create your best Singleplayer map of the classic C&C game of your choice: Dawn, Sun, Red Alerts 1 and 2, or their respective expansions. There are prizes!

Prizes
-We currently have 5 legal CD Keys to give away as prizes to the winners. These are all PC games, unlockable through Origin.

Crysis 2 Maximum Edition
Dead Space 3
Medal of Honor (2010)
Mirror's Edge
Sims 3 Starter Pack
Batman: Arkham Asylum (Game of the Year)
The Lord of the Rings: War in the North

First prize will get first pick of TWO games. second prize will get the next pick of ONE game, and so forth. If there are less than four entrants, second place may get two games. There's a small chance that more games could be added to the list. (If you'd like to donate un-activated legal CD keys as competition prizes, contact me via PM

Rules
       - Singleplayer maps ONLY
       - Maps may be for any one of the following games (including their respective expansions): Tiberian Dawn, Tiberian  Sun, Red Alert 1, Red Alert2
       - Red Alert maps must be compatible with the latest patch RA 3.03
       - Tiberian Dawn maps must be compatible with the latest patch 1.06c
       - Contestants may submit one map
       - Maps must be all new: No "remixes" or "remakes" of existing maps
       - All map theaters are allowed
       - There is no size restriction, although naturally bigger & more detailed maps are a good way to show time & effort.
       - The ONLY files that will be accepted are the .map file, and necessary text string & briefing files (mission.ini, tutorial.ini, ra2(md).csf)
       - Terrain expansions, or additional mod files of any kind are not allowed
       - Entries must be received by Graion Dilach by the 01 of January 2014 (00:00GMT); New Year's
       - Deadline MAY be extended if given justified reasoning.
       - Maps will be submitted to Graion Dilach, who will distribute them anonymously to the judges.

Judging
Judging will be done by Team Black, RP, and ^Rampastein

100/100 Will be the highest possible score per judge. Maps will be judged proportionately based on the capability of the respective game engine.
Your maps will be judged on the following criteria:

-Overall Gameplay: - (Max: 30 points) Where the rubber meets the road: how does it play?
       -Triggers and Effects - (Max: 25 Points) Shows understanding and creative use of triggers. This is cornerstone to SP mapping
       -Originality (Max: 25 Points) Something unique and creative (eg. no 'kill object X, win')
       -Overall eye Candy: (Max: 20 pts ) Includes LAT placement, cliff/shore errors, lighting (if the game engine supports it), overall atmosphere and environment
       -Bugs/Exploits (Max: NEGATIVE 15 points) SP mapping requires testing! if we catch an error that you should have caught, you'll lose points! Such errors include fequent IEs, game-hindering obstacles such as tunnel errors, or critical triggers that don't fire properly. (Depending on the issue you may be given a chance to fix it, but you'll still lose the points)

Considerations
-If there happens to be a ton of TD or RA1 map submissions, we may recruit an old engine liaison to assist us with the competition. However, it's natural to assume most of the maps will be for Tiberian Sun or Red Alert 2 engines.
-If you need to address any issues, we can be flexible if given the reasoning. Just lay out your case and we'll do our best to accommodate.
-Any updates to the rules/deadline/etc will be posted and updated in this topic
-Happy mapping! Show us what you got!!

Tiberian Odyssey mapping department. Discord
The Team Black Index

Last edited by Team Black on Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:56 am; edited 13 times in total

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The logo's certainly old-school, fits the theme of old games like a glove #Tongue

I have a question, though. Are there any limitations to what moddifications you can make to the rules.INI settings via the .map file in TS and RA2? I mean, am I allowed to mod all existing units to behave entirely differently?

Agent Z
AA Infantry

Location: LocationNotFoundException at RealLife.Location.find() at line: -1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have questions too:
Will improvisations in terrain because of missing terrain bits lose points? Example is the pavedroad/dirtroad connections in ra2, where some directions are missing. Will a missing connection like this lose points?
If only mission ini and tutorial ini are allowed, then how am supposed to make some csf strings to ra2, to get texts/messages for the mission?

Aro
Alcohol Fueled

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You forgot an important rule: No Wuj's allowed.

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Grand Campaign Competition II is live! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Team Black wrote:
Map do NOT need to be anonymously submitted. Just send a copy to each judge

Not a good idea if you ask me. No matter how small and trustworthy community we might be, there's still a chance a judge might subliminally be affected. I recommend having a fourth person who receives the map and accompaning files and checks they have nothing that would explicitly reveal the creator before passing the maps to the judges. This could even be anyone of the mappers if no one else can do it.

Wuj wrote:
You forgot an important rule: No Wuj's allowed.

Hence no entry for you #Tongue

Ixith
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Grand Campaign Competition II is live! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Team Turquoise wrote:
Entries must be submitted each judge (Team Black, RP, ^Rampastein) by the 01 of January 2014 (00:00GMT)

I'll have 9 starts and 1 WIP 30% of the way done by then. #Tongue
Also...why do the entrants have to send it to each judge? Why can't one judge take a lead role and receive and mail them to the other ones?
(or in case of the anonymous entries coming back in...a receiver who dishes them out to the judges)

Team Neon wrote:
Bugs/Exploits (Max: NEGATIVE 15 points) SP mapping requires testing! if we catch an error that you should have caught, you'll lose points! Such errors include fequent IEs, game-hindering obstacles such as tunnel errors, or critical triggers that don't fire properly. (Depending on the issue you may be given a chance to fix it, but you'll still lose the points)

There's only one thing that bugs me about this...and that's the fact that back during the last GCC Dutchy made a map and tested it with no IEs. But a big part of the problem I had with getting ratings out back then was the fact that Dutchy's mission IEd on my like crazy. But then...Aro didn't get any IEs on Dutchy's map but others did just like I was. Don't think we ever found the source of the problem either.
If a critical trigger doesn't fire properly...that should be taken off in the triggers section of the scoring, shouldn't it? In other words...if something is wrong it should effect the normal category it is in not have a separate negative category as to me it just seems silly to have a 'Bugs and Errors' category that awards negative points when the point subtraction should come from one of the other categories and Bugs and Errors should just be listed after the scoring with notes of it in the scoring.

Finally, I'll end it with a question...
Will we get points subtracted for placing tiberium on grass?

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

But the results are subjective. If you play a mission that constantly crashes on you youre not gonna give it a good mark.

Reaperrr
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Grand Campaign Competition II is live! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Team Black wrote:

- Maps must be larger than 75x75

This is impossible for TD (maxes out at 62x62).

Team Black
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

- You can make any changes you want within the .map file, mission.ini and tutorial.ini (text string file) for that matter - or the TD/RA1/RA2 counterparts
Other files such as rules.ini and art.ini won't be accepted.

- OK due to popular demand I'll make the submissions anonymous. Now looking for a map-collector to distribute the maps to the judges anonymously, who's 100% sure they won't be making a map for this.

@ Z -you can modify any terrain that is already in the game (such as cut & paste) but you can not add any additional terrain files. Basically we should be able to plop your map file (and tutorial.ini) in the directory and play it with no compatibility issues.

@ Sexith - You'll lose points based on the severity of the error. Basically the criteria is "does the error it impede the gameplay?" "If you tested this you should have found it". For example, my own map for the GCC1 had a tunnel error at the end that could pretty much screw the player over (still gotta fix that & rerelease..). Another of the GCC1 maps had a random IE so frequently I had to save the game every couple of minutes.
- If we get errors like that, we'll talk between the judges and come up with a decision on what to do about the error. I know testing maps is a pain in the ass, but that was a major weakness of the maps from the GCC1, mine included.

- I support Tiberium's right to grow on grass. Tiberium grows where it wants

Reaperr - changed map dimension restriction, thanks for the input.

Aro wrote:
No Wuj's allowed.

freakin... Wuj's

The Team Black Index

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm willing to step-in as map collector. Can't even map, so no way I could affect the maps themselves.

=======================
WeiDU mods: Random Graion Tweaks | Graion's Soundsets
Maintainance: Extra Expanded Enhanced Encounters! | BGEESpawn
Contributions: EE Fixpack | Enhanced Edition Trilogy | DSotSC (Trilogy) | UB_IWD | SotSC & a lot more...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID
Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You should still be able to check that there are no triggers that blast the map maker's name on the screen or something like that #Tongue I know I'm doing one! J/k

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, that's easy. Just rename the trigger's ID and such. #Tongue

I'm a modder, not a mapper. And I'll think I'll go over them either way afterall. You guys would actually give me a reason to play TS. #Tongue

=======================
Contributions: EE Fixpack | Enhanced Edition Trilogy | DSotSC (Trilogy) | UB_IWD | SotSC & a lot more...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID
Team Black
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

GD- aight you're on the list!

-BTW we won't dock points or DQ if we guess who made the map. just don't make it too obvious #Tongue

The Team Black Index

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh, I don't even plan to tell ya ever who sent the maps, just only reveal that info when I'll post up the actual results. #Tongue

=======================

[TiberianFuture]
Scrin Overlord

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ah, time to refine the ideas.

GL & HF! Cool

Ladder wars vs. bikeRushOwnz.

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Rereading the thing: I have two concerns?

Can maps be resubmitted?
In case of RA2/YR one should be allowed to send csf too for campaign strings.

=======================

Team Black
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yep, we'll let maps be resubmitted. We'll give a couple days buffer after the deadline before rating, in case there are last minute fudges. However, any exceptions to the the deadline must be with good reason.

GD I'll give you the liberty if you feel inclined to test them for errors. (just notify the map owners of the errors. don't make any changes to the maps directly of course)

The ultimate goal is to make the maps be the best they can possibly be, so the more we can do to mitigate the nitpicky errors, the better.

The Team Black Index

Iran
Pyro Sniper

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Is submitting coop missions allowed? (multiplayer maps with single player AI logic and scripting)

Are mods allowed?

Is the ra303p patch for Red Alert 1 allowed?

Are desert and winter theater maps for Red Alert 1 allowed? (They're standard included with ra303p, so it shouldn't count as a terrain expansion)

RP
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

No coops, it's singleplayer.
No mods allowed.
No unofficial patches, like UMP's.

Just vanilla games, that's it.

Mental Omega 3.0 Mission creator - Creator of FinalOmega: APYR 3.0 Map Editor

/ppm/'s stupidity

Last edited by RP on Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:46 pm; edited 1 time in total

Agent Z
AA Infantry

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Team Black wrote:
-you can modify any terrain that is already in the game (such as cut & paste) but you can not add any additional terrain files. Basically we should be able to plop your map file (and tutorial.ini) in the directory and play it with no compatibility issues.

Sorry but I think my bad english strikes again(I didn't mean to ask if its allowed to add anything, because I know its not). Let me ask in a diffrent way:

I meant like, "You can't blame me for WWs bad/missing terrain tiles, right?"

Im just wondering if there will be subtraction in points for terrains that looks a bit stupid, because of WW was too lazy to create more terrain tiles than they themselves needed?

Team Black
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

@ Iran - If someone is ambitious enough to make a co-op map via multiplayer, I don't want to stop them. However, the rules for this comp are pretty well established, and it would be pretty difficult to integrate. Maybe in the future, we can make a co-op mapping competition.

@ Z - I see. I realize that WW made some goofs, but your job as a mapper is to find a way to make it look good anyways.
If you don't have all the dirt road tiles you need, and you choose to use them, then you'll have to do it in a way that doesn't look bad. Remember these maps aren't just for us, they're for the community.

Sound good?

The Team Black Index

Last edited by Team Black on Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:02 pm; edited 3 times in total

^Rampastein
Rampastring

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Your points won't get directly subtracted for those, but if you manage to make the tiles fit better, the map will look better and as such earn you more points. It's not really an issue regarding scoring since everyone has the same limitations anyway.

Team Black
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm going to try and ask Nyerguds or Tore about RA3.03, as it seems like more of an expansion than a mod.

I'll see if I can recruit one of em as "old C&C liaison" to make sure we're supporting the oldies properly

The Team Black Index

Agent Z
AA Infantry

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I understand. Ofcourse, I can handle the terrains and will be all fine(Have made some maps in my life).
Anyway, some roads taking about 160 degrees turns in 3 cells are just a tiny detail nobody will care about, right?. Will do my best.

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I would say Irans patch IS the official patch though, unofficially. :p  It is what is used to play online for instance.

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Btw, is Nyerguds' 1.06c r3 patch for TD also considered official for this competition?

Iran
Pyro Sniper

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If unofficial patches aren't allowed it should say so in the rules TBH. It should also say which official patches ARE allowed as mega maps aren't supported for RA95 without an official patch for example. For CnCNet v5 1.06c and ra303p are needed to even connect.

Please clarify this so C&C95 and RA95 map makers don't waste their time creating missions which don't qualify.

RP
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

But you don't need to connect, it's singleplayer.

/ppm/'s stupidity

Iran
Pyro Sniper

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I suggest amending the rules or you'll have a bunch of C&C95 and RA95 map makers sending in invalid maps.

^Rampastein
Rampastring

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

To be honest I'd allow the widely-used patches for TD and RA1 considering that almost the games' entire playerbase uses them. After all, the map makers don't make missions only for this competition, but also so other people would have fun playing them.

With TS and RA2 that's a different thing since the playerbase is spread out between various patches and modifications.

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Me too. I don't even understand why is this even a debate. RA3.03 is a must if one wants to take this serious.

I dunno what are Iran's changes but 3.03 was a standard WW patch (even if EA never acknowledged it), so it should be in. I'd accept those entries, be it (Iran'd) RA 3.03 or RA 2.00.

And yea, I'd also support Nyer's 1.06 TD allowed in this comp. Those are real patches afterall.

=======================

Team Black
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Updated the rules, as judges we'll be using RA3.03 and TD 1.06C patches when we play the maps, so mappers should make their maps using the same respective patches. Thanks for addressing that.

The Team Black Index

DarkVen9109
Pyro Sniper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This one's interesting. OK I got 3 more months to make singleplayer maps. I'll strive to be the best and aim for the dead space 3 ohh and by the way what if the game where I make the SP map is modded (e.g Twisted Insurrection, Tiberian Odyssey, Mental Omega) will it be still accepted?

4StarGeneral
General

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

- Terrain expansions, or additional mod files of any kind are not allowed

Therefore no mods.

0 creativity means I'm not entering this #Tongue

DarkVen9109
Pyro Sniper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok then, I'm gonna bring back all the removed things on my TS to enter the competition.

Team Black
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If your current TS is cluttered you may want to get a brand new install of Tiberian Sun from CNC Comm.

Sometimes it's good to have more than one TS directory, under different names. You can always rename to SUN whichever one is currently in use

The Team Black Index

DarkVen9109
Pyro Sniper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

no need to worry. I'm a member there as well

Iran
Pyro Sniper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for being clear on the rules for unofficial patches.

Just to clarify about 3.03 and 3.03p:

3.03 was a leaked Westwood patch, buggy and never officially released. Famous bugs introduced by this version is uncloaking of submarines when no other units are alive, which breaks some single player missions and a bug where the game always crashes when a unit limit is reached.

3.03p was started by hifi and contains code by him, me, Nyerguds and CCHyper, it also contains code reverse engineered from AlexB's Arda. ra303p-iran was an old fork I did of 3.03p before the changes were merged back in 3.03p.

3.03p is designed to be compatible with 3.03 when playing online on CnCnet v4 and LAN via the ingame LAN menu. It's really useful in checking if I dont inadvertently break or change game mechanics. 100-120 players play on CnCnNet v4 RA95 online every day in the European evening. A feature list can be found here:

https://github.com/cnc-patch/ra303p/blob/master/docs/features.txt

At this point I'm kinda done patching game bugs and the patch has all features CnCNet v5 wants. So now I'm working on adding new modding abilities, like adding new units to the game etc..

Team Black
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the clarification, Iran. I just started up RA1 yesterday and played a game on CnCnet.. who knew it would still be so active!

The Team Black Index

Iran
Pyro Sniper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

We really hope to expand the player base with the new CnCNet v5, which is very feature rich and very convenient to use.

I'd like to have TS support for CnCNet V5 too (I really want to play awesome mods like Dawn of The Tiberium Age with select-able starting positions and pre-determined alliances. It depends on whether CCHyper can write a "spawner" system for it (loading a multiplayer online match on game startup by reading an INI file).

CnCNet v5 already has good support for the Red Alert mod Red Dawn, the mod support system allows you to launch multiple C&C games and mods from the same lobby and your game running a mod shows up in the games list, if someone tries to join your game and he doesn't have your mod he gets a message about having to download the mod with a useful URL. You can host/join any games running any mod/game as long as you have it installed, without having to switch around EXEs or launch different ones.

You have one lobby with players of different games and mods all seeing and meeting each other, that could be a great online activity booster and it makes it feasible for C&C95, RA95 and hopefully soon TS mods to actually have a decent online player base.

CnCNet v5 will soon also have support for RULES.INI "mini-mods" and hopefully other small mini-mods with different game files stored in their own MIX file.

Support for dumping statistics info for ladder has been added to both the C&C95 and RA95 executables. I added more data to be dumped for RA95, including the alliances bitfield for every player, their starting location, whether they're a spectator or not etc. I also fixed a lot of bugs with Westwood's statistics code. With the RA95 patches it's possible to have ladder support for say 2vs2 games properly. But the actual ladder still needs to be done by the people working on CnCNet v5.

Other then ladder CnCNet v5 also lacks quick match and world domination tour, which WOL supported for some games. At this point the player base is too small for it to make sense to add these features. And RA95's and C&C95's player base also never used these features before because they never existed in any online service for these games, AFAIK.

^Rampastein
Rampastring

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This discussion, although interesting, is off-topic. Maybe it should be split by some mod.

Anyway, DTA would adopt CnCNet v5 immediately if such a spawner was made. The only reason why it doesn't support it right now is that there'd be little benefit -- it'd just add the option of having passworded games, which aren't necessary with the current low activity level of DTA's CnCNet lobby.

(Since I also make the Launcher for TI, DTA supporting CnCNet v5 would also mean TI supporting it as well).

Iran
Pyro Sniper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah I agree this discussion is off-topic and interesting. If a mod could split it that would be great.

Here's a bunch of benefits I see for DTA if TS support is added:

- The ability to launch skirmish and LAN games, including one player ones. For RA95 I also added the ability to launch single player missions and save games but I don't know how feasible this is for TS (for RA95 this was really, really easy).
- The CnCNet v5 client is an external launcher and like WOL it's based on IRC. It's a FULL online service, unlike CnCNet v4 which just uses the LAN system. You can PM people and in the future send memos and check when players have last been on.
- There's no need to run the game full screen (or in 16-bit colors windowed mode) to be able to chat, which is the case with the CnCNet v4 lobby. You just run the CnCNet v5 client and start chatting. It's a windowed program and you can minimize it at any time and do something else. When your name is mentioned there's a high light, when someone PMs you a private chat window appears etc.
- Similarly you can host a game and do something else waiting for players to join.
- Support for predetermined alliances and starting locations should be asy to add, which makes the need for special map setups for comp stomp maps unnecessary.
- In the future a ladder system, which also doubles as the ability to view games played in the past by you or other players.
- C&C95 an RA95 games lag less than on CnCNet v4 and CnCNet v5 shows the connectivity status a player, less lag and the ability to diagnose laggy players and lag problems.
- If TS has multiple network protocols like C&C95 and RA95, it might be possible to enable a less laggier network protocol like done for C&C95 and RA95.
- Very fast tunnel servers, two days ago I spectated a 8 player ra95 game with South American, North American, West European, Central European and Turkish players. It was pretty much lag free.
- The ability to find and chat with other C&C games players. People who want to play DTA online won't be greeted with a dead lobby. For DTA there's the extra benefit of C&C95 players who might want to try out DTA.
- Mouth to mouth advertising to a multiplayer audience. If a player hosts a DTA game it shows the game in the games list for everyone on CnCNet v5. If they don't have DTA it will tell the player about it if they try to join. While hosting you can switch back to the lobby chat channel to try and get people to join your game if needed.
- Voice chat
- There's a streams button in the lobby that becomes visible when someone is streaming CnCnet v5 games. It might be possible to also use it for some more general DTA live streams by the DTA team (like the MO and Red Resurrection ones).
- Input into future CnCNet v5 features. Automatically update DTA? Show DTA news announcements? Get people to know about the DTA forums somehow?
- Benefit from features added to CnCNet v5 in the future.
- CnCnet v5's chat is IRC so every (web-based) IRC client works.
- Anticheat support.

I'm really proud about what the CnCNet v5 team has added already. I'd really like to give you a tour. I'm on irc.freenode.net #cncnet and irc.cncnet.org #cncnet. Give me a PM if you have interest.

^Rampastein
Rampastring

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Only half of those features would actually work without adding some features to the TS/DTA exe though, so at the moment I don't see myself implementing CnCNet v5 support unless someone (well, CCHyper being the only TS hacker around, and it seems he's fairly inactive) codes in some of those features already present in RA1 to TS, like using the mentioned INI file to start a game. If such a spawn feature is made at some point, DTA will surely start using CnCNet v5 though.

CCHyper
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

^Rampastein wrote:
Only half of those features would actually work without adding some features to the TS/DTA exe though, so at the moment I don't see myself implementing CnCNet v5 support unless someone (well, CCHyper being the only TS hacker around, and it seems he's fairly inactive) codes in some of those features already present in RA1 to TS, like using the mentioned INI file to start a game. If such a spawn feature is made at some point, DTA will surely start using CnCNet v5 though.

I am active, just constrained by time.

Iran has been bugging me about adding CnCNet 5 support, and it is something I am working on.

Iran
Pyro Sniper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

RA95 3.03 (which 3.03p is based off) doesn't support loading a game from the INI, 3.03 used WOL and they removed the Westwood Chat spawner code. The spawner system has been added from scratch. The code for it is here:

https://github.com/cnc-patch/ra303p/blob/master/src/spawn.asm

Support for selectable spawning locations and pre-determined alliances (and tons of other options like short game mode) were never part of the game, I added them and they were really, really easy to add.

The faster netcode was literally just writing a byte value, I'm not sure if it applies to TS too.

Team Black
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I can't split this topic
guess I'm still not a global mod yet Neutral

The Team Black Index

Nyerguds
General

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Grand Campaign Competition II is live! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Team Black wrote:

- The ONLY files that will be accepted are .map, mission.ini, and tutorial.ini.

That'll be tough, seeing as C&C1's maps are .ini/.bin pairs, with the bin containing the basic terrain, and the ini containing everything on it and the scripting / briefing / name / etc.

Last edited by Nyerguds on Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

RP
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Besides Nyerguds' comment, I'd like to have 'ra2(md).csf' too, as those are the files that contain the mission specific briefings etc.

/ppm/'s stupidity

Nyerguds
General

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Huh. They don't allow briefings inside the mission?

Aro
Alcohol Fueled

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, but they're controlled via ra2(md).csf. It is RA2's version of TS's tutorial.ini, so to speak.

Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace!