Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:13 am
All times are UTC + 0
[REQ]Enable multiple MovementZone's or restore CanBeach
Moderators: Ares Support Team at PPM, Global Moderators, Red Alert 2 Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [25 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
tomsons26lv
Cyborg Artillery

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:32 am    Post subject:  [REQ]Enable multiple MovementZone's or restore CanBeach Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Enable adding multiple MovementZone's to a unit would make it possible to restore the landing craft logic
Something like
MovementZone=Beach,Water

RA2 Beta had special movement zones like WaterBeach etc that did the same thing.
Alternatively restoring CanBeach, hopefully should do the same thing.
CanBeach enabled a vehicle with MovementZone=Water to "step" on the beach and in the landing crafts case unload the units on passable terrain( the Beach was impassable)

I was not sure which one of those tags would be better in this case so i made a thread instead of a blueprint.

Skype live:tomsons26
Don't forget to state who are you otherwise i'll ignore the invite

Glukv48
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There tag SpeedType, with it you can specify on what surfaces are allowed to move units.

EDIT:
And MovementZone carries not only information about what were the surfaces can move. For example, in YR MovementZone=Fly not allowed to dock with buildings (NoCursor, AI can dock them), this restriction only applies to YR, aslo there are other logics that isa rigidly tied to specific MovementZone.

Nikademis Von Hisson
General

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

landing craft topic has been discussed many times I believe it is MigEater that took the shores and made them ice. do a search on here for tiopic shores, beach,  landing craft  with name as MigEater should get a hit.

http://www.ppmsite.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27714

tomsons26lv
Cyborg Artillery

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Glukv48 wrote:
There tag SpeedType, with it you can specify on what surfaces are allowed to move units.

EDIT:
And MovementZone carries not only information about what were the surfaces can move. For example, in YR MovementZone=Fly not allowed to dock with buildings (NoCursor, AI can dock them), this restriction only applies to YR, aslo there are other logics that isa rigidly tied to specific MovementZone.

I guess multiple SpeedType's might be needed too

Nikademis Von Hisson wrote:
landing craft topic has been discussed many times I believe it is MigEater that took the shores and made them ice. do a search on here for tiopic shores, beach,  landing craft  with name as MigEater should get a hit.

That's a dirty hack,we are currently using it but infantry get stuck in trees and a few other bugs not to mention making units be able to walk on water, i want the original function that made it possible for the LCF's to beach without the need of editing the terrain or the terrain code to be restored

Skype live:tomsons26
Don't forget to state who are you otherwise i'll ignore the invite

Last edited by tomsons26lv on Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:10 am; edited 1 time in total

Nikademis Von Hisson
General

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

stuck in trees?  how do trees affect the landing craft?

Dasfonia
Rocket Cyborg

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

stuck in trees?  how do trees affect the landing craft?

INFANTRY get stuck in trees, signs, lightposts, etc., because of their MovementZone=Amphibious with the Ice work around.

MovementZone=Amphibious causes it to happen is my key point, if we didn't have to use MovementZone=Amphibious for all units, then the infantry would NOT get stuck on all passable overlays.

Glukv48
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What do Locomotor  you use ? The problem lies with getting stuck in it. MovementZone=Fly seems able to solve it, I do not remember.

Nikademis Von Hisson
General

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i never added the amphibious tag...... try taking that out....

Gangster
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hm. As for me, re-using Ice\Beach terrain for land with unique characteristic like only several units can pass it, always cause units stuck in these land type. Like Hover MRLS refuse to go out of Beach tiles to Water. Or infantry walking only on Ice, again, refusing to go to Clear. In the end I have scraped all multiterrain units ideas, feature is broken :\

Dasfonia
Rocket Cyborg

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Gangster wrote:
... feature is broken :\

And that's why we made the thread. Smile

Nikademis Von Hisson
General

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Gangster wrote:
Hm. As for me, re-using Ice\Beach terrain for land with unique characteristic like only several units can pass it, always cause units stuck in these land type. Like Hover MRLS refuse to go out of Beach tiles to Water. Or infantry walking only on Ice, again, refusing to go to Clear. In the end I have scraped all multiterrain units ideas, feature is broken :\

hover units get stuck? i find that hard to believe.

Dasfonia wrote:
Gangster wrote:

this isnt a new problem... it has been documented some time ago. i think what you are looking for is the ARES wish list to suggest a feature to correct this. I doubt there is anything to fix this problem correctly, except ARES.....the only work around solution for this problem is adjusting the tiles

Dasfonia
Rocket Cyborg

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dasfonia wrote:
Gangster wrote:

this isnt a new problem... it has been documented some time ago. i think what you are looking for is the ARES wish list to suggest a feature to correct this. I doubt there is anything to fix this problem correctly, except ARES.....the only work around solution for this problem is adjusting the tiles

Yes, I'm aware that it has long been acknowledged but it's still an active issue that needs to be addressed and hasn't been talked about in a about 2 years, unless we missed some other random request made within that time slot.

I don't want my three bar Tanya getting stuck in a light post and me then having to restart the mission because of said bug.  Get it?

Parasite03
Cyborg Artillery

Also Known As: ZivDero

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have made a topic about beach landing craft, but I just got a nice reply with a link to the old topic. Also, there was a fixed pack of tiles (the one in 2 year topic seems to have more issues, than we have with this one), so be sure to check it out.

What in the name of insanity is this? I FRICKING LOVE THIS LOGICCCC!!!!!!!!!!!!OOOOOOOOHEEAWWWWWWWWWWWYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWW PEW PEW PEW PEW BOOM BOOM BOOM!! Nice I love this!!!! Ferriswheel bomb, Dive bomb. New Logic discovered thanks to Kenosis Very Happy

Dasfonia
Rocket Cyborg

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Parasite03 wrote:
(the one in 2 year topic seems to have more issues, than we have with this one), so be sure to check it out.

We are ALREADY using that fix... did you even read?

Gangster
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dasfonia wrote:
Gangster wrote:

I understand that Smile However I am aware it have nothing related with restoring\enabling\expanding TAGS listed at first post.
Its seems to me a game pathfinding problem or maybe Locomotor flaws. Ice and Beach was a legit terrain types in TS and never caused a stuck problem.

Dasfonia
Rocket Cyborg

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Gangster wrote:
Dasfonia wrote:
Gangster wrote:

I understand that Smile However I am aware it have nothing related with restoring\enabling\expanding TAGS listed at first post.
Its seems to me a game pathfinding problem or maybe Locomotor flaws. Ice and Beach was a legit terrain types in TS and never caused a stuck problem.

Like I said though, the getting stuck is caused by having to make every infantry unit into MovementZone=Amphibious.

Gangster
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

And I am pointing that VEHICLES do stuck even with MovementZone=Amphibious

Astral
Disk Thrower

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

CanBeach= tag is needed to be restored. I want it too.

Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My method of using ice terrain on beaches only needs MovementZone=Amphibious on the landing craft, no other units need this tag to for it to work. I've been using this workaround for over 8 years without any side effects or issues thus far. So remove the MovementZone tags & your problems should be fixed.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
Atomic_Noodles
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What about Amphibious Units/Infantry?

Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If it's an amphibious unit then it obviously needs MovementZone=Amphibious too, but GI, Conscripts, Grizzlies & Apocs don't...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Glukv48 wrote:

EDIT:

just to clarify a few things from my TS experience (can be wrong in RA2)
SpeedType is not used for pathfinding. For that the MovementZone (and MovementRestrictedTo) is used.
If a SpeedType allows a unit to move on certain terrain and MovementZone doesn't, the pathfinding gets bitching and often can't find a path anymore. Also the other way round when MovementZone allows movement and calculates paths over that terrain, while the SpeedType doesn't allows movement on it.

In such cases you can give a unit a long route, click, but nothing happens. The unit simply doesn't moves and you're forced to guide the unit manually around the problematic terrain.

Like shown on Mig Eaters video, the ship isn't able to find the closest path to the shore when he clicks on land. I assume the ships also have trouble finding paths around islands when clicking on the other side.
With a SpeedType matching the MovementZone the calculated path would make the unit move at least as close as possible, so in the case of such a landing ship you wouldn't be forced to click exactly on the shore but any click on land would be enough too.

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Only the landing craft has "bad" pathfinding because it needs to be amphibious to get onto the beach etc, normal ships are unaffected. Only a few extra clicks to guide the LC are needed most of the time tho.

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

One thing that might conflict with ships finding the path to the shore is the water tile arrangement. I've noticed in TS, if you misplace or lay water tiles over each other, the pathfinding of ships gets broken.

Parasite03
Cyborg Artillery

Also Known As: ZivDero

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Weird thing occured. I have
SpeedType=Amphibious
MovementZone=Amphibious
and my landing craft stands still if I order it to go to the land, but if I command it to go to the beach - everything is fine.

EDIT

My bad. Also, it would be good if Ares implemented multiple MovementRestrictedTo's. So, we could make SpeedType and MovementZone Amphibious and MovementRestictedTo=Water,Beach(or ice)

What in the name of insanity is this? I FRICKING LOVE THIS LOGICCCC!!!!!!!!!!!!OOOOOOOOHEEAWWWWWWWWWWWYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWW PEW PEW PEW PEW BOOM BOOM BOOM!! Nice I love this!!!! Ferriswheel bomb, Dive bomb. New Logic discovered thanks to Kenosis Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [25 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon