Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:56 pm
All times are UTC + 0
[YR] Polar Nights (2)
Moderators: Global Moderators, Red Alert 2 Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [14 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:30 pm    Post subject:  [YR] Polar Nights (2) Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is a map based on Starcraft 2's Polar Nights layout.

(Click for full megamap, 5MB)

Please note the little crates you see in the megamap are invisible ingame and used to prevent players from building in silly places, like along inaccessible cliff edges.

yr_obpolarnights2p.zip
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  yr_obpolarnights2p.zip
 Filesize:  192.92 KB
 Downloaded:  264 Time(s)

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I updated the download to fix some of the big slopes.

4StarGeneral
General

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's a very nice looking map, but there's alot of unnecessarily unbuildable terrain.

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I coulve give you a flat map if you want. Just rocks & gems.

4StarGeneral
General

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That's not what I was talking about, more just the blocked off terrain by crates, I mean, I understand the cliffsides, but why the parts next to the base exits? It's a quite large piece that you could set up a defense on.

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ah, well because theyre inaccessible. It would've be fun if someone managed to build something on there and really fortify it or drop some infantry.

PillBox20
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I played this map with the AI and it is good!
I like it!  Approved

My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtxeQoEM_iVd-F-xUIwleyQ
PillBox20's Red Alert 2 Mod: http://www.moddb.com/mods/pillbox20s-red-alert-2/downloads/pillbox20s-red-alert-2-version-02

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website YouTube User URL Skype Account
Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've been playing on it with D-day too. I'll need to edit the ore & replace the tech buildings etc, but it will make a nice edition to D-day's meager list of maps.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
Zjorz
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just played the map with a friend. I love the roomy layout. Its great for 1vs1 battles. The terrain is very good looking so thats also a plus.

One thing that could be changed: i had the feeling there are to many tech buildings in the map for its size. Also, i dont like that the oil buildings are places at the back. I feel like the tech buildings should provide one player with an advantage. By mirroring them the players get an equal advantage = nobody has an advantage.

I would suggest removing all lower groud tech buildings (airfields, repair shop, top right and buttom left oil building) and replace the forward bases with oil buildings.

This will reward a more agressive player. Also having less tech buildings around motivates people to use a mcv to build a forward base.

Anyway, its a very high quality map. Thanks for posting it

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You are probably right, thanks for the feedback. I might do another version in future then, try improve the lighting also (which is hell on snow maps).

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yes, the tiled lighting needs to be improved. It's really blocky.
Though on snow maps you can only use very subtle/faint lighting, due to the plain color of the ground that makes the tiles very soon visible.

Some more small slopes here and there could also make it look more natural.

4StarGeneral wrote:
the blocked off terrain by crates, I mean, I understand the cliffsides, but why the parts next to the base exits? It's a quite large piece that you could set up a defense on.

Agreed. These almost scream like "build defense here". The cliffs would provide such a nice protection against cannons and raised range/sight of the high terrain would be a bonus for the defense too.

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Lin Kuei Ominae wrote:
Agreed. These almost scream like "build defense here". The cliffs would provide such a nice protection against cannons and raised range/sight of the high terrain would be a bonus for the defense too.
That's why I blocked it in the first place. #Tongue  Putting 5+ Prism Towers or a Grand Cannon on one of those cliff islands would be too powerful IMO.

Allied General
General

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Easy enough to edit out anyhow (the crates).

Nice map though.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
NimoStar
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think that, instead of crates, something like rocks could be used to block building.

Having something invisible blocking is frustrating to the player that may construct buildings in that direction only to realize they can't build there for "No reason".

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [14 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon